Author Topic: IGG "Rubicon" 3D Scanner  (Read 2315 times)

Offline MacAttakTopic starter

• Supporter
IGG "Rubicon" 3D Scanner
« on: September 09, 2013, 05:43:50 am »
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rubicon-3d-scanner/x/2848291

Those little laser diodes resemble the ones I have from Adafruit an awful lot - which are totally incapable of producing a swept beam like that without some fancy optics.

Not sure how he is driving a stepper motor (must be a small one too) with only 500mA from that thin USB cable.

Using an Arduino to do that kind of image processing sounds like a real stretch to me.

Where is the mess? With an Arduino in there, some power electronics for the stepper, and data interface back to the laptop I would expect wires to be all over the place. And why is the webcam wire going someplace else (off the table?) instead of to the base unit where the "Arduino" is?

The "software" is complete vaporware - I can tell that without even squinting.

A price point of only 15% of the new Makerbot scanner, which supposedly has lesser specs?

Shipping in December?

Pretty sure I already know the answers to these questions and observations :)

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: IGG "Rubicon" 3D Scanner
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:58 am »
So lets see, a logitech webcam, a turntable, two lasers and an arduino. Yeah the laser sweep seems odd, but the overall idea seems sound.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:13:04 am »
The lasers are probably these, widely used on laser levels.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=red+laser+line+module&LH_BIN=1
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:34:32 am by pickle9000 »

Offline daveatol

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:39:09 am »
As mentioned, the laser modules with different optics are commonly available. Many modules have a similar shape and the obligatory safety sticker...

It is very unlikely that the Arduino has anything to do with the image processing; the webcam is most likely going straight to the PC for processing there. The Arduino would likely be simply controlling the stepper motor and the lasers.

Low power stepper motors are readily available; I just checked on ebay, and geared stepper motors are available for cheap and run at 5V/25mA/phase.

The camera has much better specs than the makerbot scanner, hence the better specs.

It all seems fine to me. Pretty impressive really.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf