Author Topic: Knops - The volume button for your ears.  (Read 3018 times)

Offline firewalkerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Knops - The volume button for your ears.
« on: April 26, 2017, 08:37:45 am »
Not electronic related, but any sound "expert" to comment?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Knops - The volume button for your ears.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 08:50:14 am »
I don't know about the feasibility, but I do know one thing.  I would lose/damage/destroy/get-unpleasantly-dirty those things, so at 58 Euro, no way, no how.

I wear earplugs almost all the time (as in 20 hours a day, I don't like noise, fans, pets, kids, cars, neighbours, the general cacophony of life), I buy a big bag of them for $20 or something, when I lose them/they get too dirty/they get wet I grab another pair, I would go through at least a pair every couple of days, they cost well under a buck a pair, 20-30c.

And if I need to hear something better, I pull one or both out, simple as that.  It's not like earplugs give you complete and utter silence, you can still hear perfectly well with them, they just attenuate the most irritating of sounds.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline ar__systems

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:34:15 pm »
Not sure why you would want to adjust the volume - you either want to listen to the things around, or you don't. So you either wear earplugs or you don't. Cool toy though, I'm sure they will find their buyer.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:45:00 pm »
Not sure why you would want to adjust the volume - you either want to listen to the things around, or you don't. So you either wear earplugs or you don't. Cool toy though, I'm sure they will find their buyer.

Musicians (specifically drummers), concert goers, movie watchers, etc. who want to listen to the content but not damage their ears.
I have used these and they work well: https://www.amazon.com/ETY-Plugs-Fidelity-Earplugs-Standard-Frost/dp/B0015WJQ7A?th=1

Question is if these adjustable ones can not affect the sound. I wouldn't buy until its been measured with a mic, and shown to work well.

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/knops/knops-the-volume-button-for-your-ears
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ar__systems

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 02:14:16 pm »

Musicians (specifically drummers), concert goers, movie watchers, etc. who want to listen to the content but not damage their ears.
Yeah I thought of that, however normal earplug come in different noise reduction levels.

Offline ferrix

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 02:44:04 pm »

Yeah I thought of that, however normal earplug come in different noise reduction levels.

Normal earplugs are not designed for fidelity of the sound that makes it to your ear, just that the loudest sound is reduced by x dB.  They make the environment sound muffled and much detail is lost. 

Etymotic plugs are totally sufficient for this as far as I can tell, however.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf