Author Topic: "SourcePure-SC" portable power supply!  (Read 1821 times)

Offline JimRemingtonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
"SourcePure-SC" portable power supply!
« on: August 16, 2024, 05:56:22 pm »
These folks propose to use a 0.41Wh, 2.7V 400F supercap as a portable power supply:
https://www.crowdsupply.com/rfoxia/sourcepure-sc

The folks over at the Arduino forum are having some fun with design issues and exaggerated claims:
https://forum.arduino.cc/t/introducing-the-worlds-first-power-supply-with-super-capacitance-battery-system/1288999

Charging scheme proposed on web site:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2024, 06:16:01 pm by JimRemington »

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline mairo

• Supporter
Re: "SourcePure-SC" portable power supply!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2024, 05:38:40 am »
The shown battery from my understanding is the one of the 3 power options - either a super cap, or this rechargeable battery, or via a DC input (8-28V). In theirs campaign it says that they will be shipping this battery too. I hope they have done theirs homework well when it comes to shipping batteries.

The team's linked in profiles look interesting too, hardware guy seems all over the place, and the other two members look just marketing.. The hardware person has/still works at Viita smart watches that was another crowd funded campaign that do not have very good feedback.  I would say there might be (or not) something  fishy here.

I would really like to see the mains implementation and integration into the product  :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 06:01:45 am by mairo »

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2024, 12:49:14 am »
No way is that 9V Lithium battery capable of 3000mAh at 9V (or even a nominal 8.4V)

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2024, 11:41:03 am »
I am still puzzled where do you connect the mains cable?

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2024, 11:59:37 am »
I am still puzzled where do you connect the mains cable?

Into the FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER of course!

But yeah, I was wondering that as well.

In the Arduino forum comments they seemed to imply that the AC PSU is on the back of the PCB shown.  I doubt that due to the lack of input connector, and clearances in general.

They show the AC input in the block diagram "schematic", but there is no figure 8 power connector on the box to match the power cable in the photos.

I find it amazing that Crowd Supply approved this project as described.

The following users thanked this post: mairo

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2024, 12:02:51 pm »
I've sent a message to the creator through the Crowd Supply website.

Your project photos show an AC power lead, and mention recharging the super cap from mains power.

I am wondering where this cable plugs in?
Has the design gone through any safety testing?

The following users thanked this post: mairo

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2024, 12:36:03 pm »
The pictures also only show a single super cap.
It has to be a less capable prototype. Just looking at the size of that cap, and add a 50 Amp peak SMPS into the design, and the true finished product will be significantly larger.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2024, 01:13:22 pm »
The pictures also only show a single super cap.

The creator said on the Arduino forum that it is mislabelled, and it is actually a custom made 400F at 10V (i.e. 4 x 1600F 2.7V in series).
I find that hard to believe based on a quick look into the typical size of a super caps rated near 1600F 2.7V on Digikey.

It has to be a less capable prototype. Just looking at the size of that cap, and add a 50 Amp peak SMPS into the design, and the true finished product will be significantly larger.

Yes, which is why I am surprised it was approved by Crowd Supply.  They supposedly require a sample before a campaign is approved, and I expected them to do a (more than cursory) review that the sample matched the description.  Prototypes are OK, but they would still need to match the final specs.  Kickstarter is much more lenient, and just don't allow renders for tech products (last I checked).

The product may more-or-less work as a power supply (not difficult), but I find that their claimed specifications are unsubstantiated and unbelievable.
It is almost like the numbers are back of the envelope theoretical calculations, and not verified in practice at all.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2024, 04:33:22 pm »
I had a reply from RFOXiA to my questions above.

Hello,

Thanks for your question!

1- There is a small slot in the Aluminum case that allows the power cable to be connected and connects SourcePure to mains power for the SuperCapacitor charging circuit, The reason it's not in the photos of the campaign because the photos show the old product case that we sent to Crowdsupply in January 2023 to verify the product, where at that time the super capacitor circuit was still under testing, we passed all the testing later in June 2023 and produced a new case that has an opening slot for the power cable but it's in silver case (not back as how the final product will be), all final products will be produced in CNC machined black Aluminum cases.

2- Yes of course and SourcePrure will be CE certified and compliant with LVD 2014/35/EU.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Moamen.M,
RFOXiA.

So, I wonder why they are not using more current photos if they have had a new design since June 2023?

Just adding more red flags.  :palm:

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2024, 04:35:28 am »
 The data shown for voltage noise and PSRR seems strait out of the IC's datasheets and the way they show how "extremely clean" is the output, is also 'abit' questionable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf