Author Topic: List of Dodgy Crowd Source Funded Projects  (Read 106333 times)

Offline f4eru

• Frequent Contributor

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
Re: List of Dodgy Crowd Source Funded Projects
« Reply #426 on: March 10, 2017, 02:48:30 PM »
The Vega+ seems to be crashing and burning.

Hearing rumours that David Levy made out like a bandit in salary, glad I'm not British so I can repeat them :)

Online Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #427 on: March 11, 2017, 07:17:30 PM »
It's very sad that I have to add this one in the thread, it looked very promising, they said there is no risk as it was supposed to be ready for development. Seekios is a true GPS tracker without monthly fee (but ads).
https://www.facebook.com/seekios/

It was supposed to be delivered in November 2016.
Now they say they did manufacture the 3500 gadgets but it didn't get the approval from "the laboratory", fault to "external contractors".
They have to "redesign the hardware" and "it's going to take months", at least that last sentence is true.

It's weird because some were sold here in Switzerland last December, and customers have received them (http://www.qoqa.ch/fr/offer/12623, in French). Our requirements are CE just the same as for Europe...  :-//

Lots of complaints about major bugs and most people seem to have returned them.

Maybe they tried to get rid of their batch while not being ready at all for it...

Online rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #428 on: March 21, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/starsailor-live-brings-the-skies-into-your-bedroom-technology

Another darkness projector. Granted, most of the other demonstrations are in a dark room, which may be plausible, but still they show this:

:palm:

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #429 on: March 21, 2017, 09:00:40 AM »
Why do people buy an overpriced projector, which looks tiny and probably doesn't have much light output? Didn't read all of it, did they post some hard facts, like lumens light output? Looks like all 3D rendered, no prototype. And the sleep monitoring is useless, you can do this with your smartphone.
quadro copter flying, electronics, retro computing and other geeky things: https://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss/

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - still a student.
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #430 on: March 21, 2017, 09:23:19 AM »
A small projector is useful for professional illustrators.
Once the client decides on a rough, it's scanned and projected on the final paper/cloth at the right format, allowing to start painting right away.
Traditionally this was done with a grid yadidada etc. For an A3 portrait, this would save me around 8 hours...

But we are talking of a world market of a couple thousand units worldwide. A market that is cornered by cheap second hand units...
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #431 on: March 21, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »
But we are talking of a world market of a couple thousand units worldwide. A market that is cornered by cheap second hand units...

Plus there are tons of small projectors available, for years now.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - still a student.
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #432 on: Yesterday at 07:39:26 AM »

Plus there are tons of small projectors available, for years now.
The small protectors are typically a bit lacking in Lumens... and are typically in the same price range...
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #433 on: Yesterday at 08:17:48 PM »
The small protectors are typically a bit lacking in Lumens... and are typically in the same price range...

Yes, around 100lm is common. On the other hand you don't need 1000lm+ to power a drawing table type of application, 100lm from close range is plenty even in daylight for that.

However, I thought the idea was to get a small projector? If you want more than about 200 lumens, it will need substantially more cooling even with LED light. That is not possible to cram into a very small package without going with a high speed fan that sounds like a jet taking off. Also the lifetime of such projector will be short.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf