Author Topic: Mµ Thermal Imager - real or fake?  (Read 482183 times)

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: Mµ Thermal Imager - real or fake?
« Reply #1250 on: November 25, 2014, 03:32:54 pm »
You mean the house? I think you're reading the timeline upside down. It was bought for $600k some years ago, put on the market again recently at more than double that, and the price has been dropped steadily for a while because it's obviously not selling.

LOL. I am not a smart man.  :palm:

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1251 on: November 25, 2014, 04:56:04 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if he mentions NDAs as an excuse to not put things open source (whether legitimate or not)

Offline callipso

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1252 on: November 26, 2014, 05:08:07 pm »
This is precisely what I predicted.

Since in every. single. update. they piled more and more BMS on top of their claims -

- started with claims of an imager that's ready and just needs to be packaged (and that is unexportably well spec'd)
- several times they claimed to be in differrent production phase, but in an erratic manner, first the case, hen something about P'n'P assembly, then shutter, then case again, then preproduction units, wave NDAs around to cover everything up
- they failed to appear in the first trade show (what was it?) claiming their wireless didn't work, but otherwise their product is done
- a long time later they started pulling images off preproduction boards again
- they posted an image with an unidentified unit and a phone with (quite oviously, no moiré pattern) doctored-in image
then they appeared at a show where NOONE would go to see a TIC, piggybacking on another company
  -with something that Mike could build in a few days, far from original specs and in a shoddy case

My opinion is that the plan was:

1) collect as much as possible in IGG campaign (flex funding)
2) store this money in a fund, or invest it well
3) feed the backers (mostly gadget people I'd say) lame arse stories to stall those who would otherwise pull out
3.1) refund those who ask to avoid charges and suspicion, counting on that most/some backers won't
4) build a "prototype", or rebadge something and show it somewhere as to avoid fraud charges
5) when someone announces a "competitor" product, call it a bankrupcy, keep what's left + the interest

1-5) do all that while continuing with their real work, the video stuff

The house? Ours was for sale two years ago, we moved into a better one.

(underlined are steps taken to avoid fraud allegations)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:12:01 pm by callipso »
I wonder... **BOOM

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #1253 on: December 02, 2014, 08:53:09 pm »
Interesting...

Hello everyone,
We are in contact with Seek Thermal and FLIR about discounts on their products to be provided to all the contributors to Mu Optics.  I hope to have concrete news for you in the next few days.
Thank you,
John McGrath

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #1254 on: December 02, 2014, 09:15:51 pm »
Interesting...

Hello everyone,
We are in contact with Seek Thermal and FLIR about discounts on their products to be provided to all the contributors to Mu Optics.  I hope to have concrete news for you in the next few days.
Thank you,
John McGrath

it just means John wants to make more money by selling a list of potential clients to either Flir or Seek.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #1255 on: December 05, 2014, 12:05:15 am »
Interesting...

Hello everyone,
Thank you,
John McGrath

it just means John wants to make more money by selling a list of potential clients to either Flir or Seek.

Yeah, quite likely. I didn't think of that. Although such a list can't be worth much to them.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #1256 on: December 05, 2014, 03:39:02 am »
Although such a list can't be worth much to them.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1257 on: December 05, 2014, 04:01:00 am »
Yeah, quite likely. I didn't think of that. Although such a list can't be worth much to them.

Monetary wise it's worth practically zero to them.
If they give discounts to backers it's purely a marketing PR thing.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #1258 on: December 05, 2014, 06:10:02 pm »
Hello everyone,
My conversations with Seek Thermal and FLIR continue towards both offering some type of discount to Mu Optics Contributors.  I hope to have something concrete to share next week. 
Mu Optics is not selling the Contributor's list or our unpaid Pre-Order list to either company.  My efforts are towards gaining IndieGoGo contributors the highest discount that either manufacturer will offer.  The Pre-Order list is simply added incentive.
I will not be providing either company with anyone's email address.  Should this happen, everyone will get a single use discount code from Mu Optics to use when ordering from either FLIR or Seek Thermal.
Thank you,
John McGrath

So some type of unique discount code given to each backer.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1259 on: December 05, 2014, 06:49:23 pm »
FLIR already offer discounts (I keep being approached with new discount offers by my local FLIR agent !) and SEEK is already so competitively priced that I very much doubt that they can provide very much discount whilst they recover their investment in the product. If you shop around the FLIR cameras are being offered at various levels of discount. PASS in the UK discounted my E4 and offered the same to fellow EEVBlog members long ago.

I don't really see why either FLIR or SEEK would even bother to talk with John as he is not someone with a good reputation at the moment. FLIR and SEEK are the only alternatives for most potential buyers at the moment anyway. they simply do not need John to make sales.

It will be interesting to see what discount John achieves, if any. Discount on RRP isn't really discount if lower prices are already freely available  ;)

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #1260 on: December 05, 2014, 08:08:10 pm »
I'm wondering if maybe his bank account isn't entirely dry and he might be trying to arrange some form of subsidized discount.

If he had any legal culpability to backers, then I would think that would absolve him of it and maybe repair some of the damaged reputation. Maybe that's what he's after now.

Offline CanadianAvenger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1261 on: February 06, 2015, 08:08:09 pm »
This just in:

Hello Everyone,

Seek Thermal has been gracious enough to offer a 10% discount on their camera to all of the contributors to the Mu Optics campaign.  Although it's not the camera you signed on for, the Seek Camera is a leap forward in what we were going to be able to deliver.  If you're interested in picking up a Seek Thermal Imager, go on over to Thermal.com and use discount code: xxxxx

We want to thank Seek Thermal for making this discount available to you all.  It is a very generous and gracious offer. 

We again apologize for our failure to bring our camera to market and to provide you the perk you signed up for.

Cheers,

-MuOptics

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1262 on: February 06, 2015, 08:13:42 pm »
Did they revealed the sensor they were talking about?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #1263 on: February 06, 2015, 08:17:57 pm »
Well, looks like now they have completely thrown in the towel, as they phrased it earlier. Probably they gave some of the remaining money to Thermal.com for the discount codes and now backers have to pay even more money in sum to get a thermal imager. Would have been better to refund the backers.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1264 on: February 06, 2015, 08:32:11 pm »
Well, looks like now they have completely thrown in the towel, as they phrased it earlier. Probably they gave some of the remaining money to Thermal.com
Probably just gave them the customer list.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1265 on: February 06, 2015, 08:42:08 pm »
Even muoptics.com is dead.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #1266 on: February 06, 2015, 11:05:02 pm »
Well, looks like now they have completely thrown in the towel, as they phrased it earlier. Probably they gave some of the remaining money to Thermal.com
Probably just gave them the customer list.

gave^^^^sold

Even muoptics.com is dead.

covering tracks before the next con :)

Offline Sparkey_500

• Contributor
« Reply #1267 on: April 01, 2015, 10:59:25 am »
I got an interesting email directly from indiegogo a few days ago. The survey contained three parts.
1. How likely are you to recommend indiegogo to a friend (1->10)
2. Did you receive your perk. (Yes/No)
3. Any other comments (Text)

I guess indiegogo has finally taken some interest in the failed campaign, but it seems too little, too late.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1268 on: April 01, 2015, 11:21:32 am »
Looks like a standard survey to me, not a specific 'investigation' into Mu. I love the term 'perk'...... that infers that you throw money at a project and that ANY output in terms of a product is just a perk and not to be expected. That certainly describes the Mu project.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1269 on: April 01, 2015, 11:49:13 am »
I love the term 'perk'...... that infers that you throw money at a project and that ANY output in terms of a product is just a perk

To be fair, they do describe the returns on a project as 'perks' so it's not as if you didn't twig when you gave them your cash. It is just a perk and it's rather disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1270 on: April 01, 2015, 11:51:57 am »
No mention of Mu on his LinkedIn profile:
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-mcgrath/41/352/6a7

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1271 on: April 01, 2015, 12:29:38 pm »
I got an interesting email directly from indiegogo a few days ago. The survey contained three parts.
1. How likely are you to recommend indiegogo to a friend (1->10)
2. Did you receive your perk. (Yes/No)
3. Any other comments (Text)

I guess indiegogo has finally taken some interest in the failed campaign, but it seems too little, too late.

IG have sent out surveys on lots of the projects lately. But how like I am to use IG again ... ZERO..  Compared to KS I have 95% delivery - where on IG it is about 50%

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #1272 on: April 01, 2015, 03:26:33 pm »
No mention of Mu on his LinkedIn profile:
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-mcgrath/41/352/6a7

Guy is a total scumbag.

He bailed out and essentially gave the middle finger to backers.

If he gave a shit about what he did to those backers, he would at least have open sourced what they had achieved, or answered the questions put to him - like what sensor they were using.  He never did.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf