Author Topic: Magic Smoke grabber Kickstarter soon. $2500 21,600 FPS (will it fly?)  (Read 10174 times)

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Will it be worth it? Dave could compare this with the Sony. The project seems to promise something comparable to rigs over $20K
https://www.dpreview.com/news/8747302245/chronos-1-4-is-a-2500-camera-that-can-shoot-at-21-650-fps
Tear down here:

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: Magic Smoke grabber Kickstarter soon. $2500 21,600 FPS (will it fly?)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 12:12:02 am »
That looks VERY promising, and if it really ends up at $2500,  :scared: wow.

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 12:17:27 am »
I don't agree with an unfiltered fan on that axis. Soft bushings might help, but I'd think a >150Hz blade imbalance could cause pixel blur.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 02:54:27 am »
Looks like some very nice work.  I like the Sony and bought it because it was so cheap but it's still a little slow.   20X faster we may actually get to see something. 

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 04:07:55 am »
David Kronstein's site is Wo Labs. More design info here: http://omeganaught.com/category/projects/imaging/

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 08:41:23 pm »
On amphour was mentioned dave is getting one for tear down. Also that if component prices potentially went up 45% it would make the project unfeasible. So I doubt he's making much margin on this.
He's put a ton of work into this (even machined the enclosure), really hope its successful. I remember him from school about ten years ago.  :-+
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 02:43:00 am »
On amphour was mentioned dave is getting one for tear down. Also that if component prices potentially went up 45% it would make the project unfeasible. So I doubt he's making much margin on this.
He's put a ton of work into this (even machined the enclosure), really hope its successful. I remember him from school about ten years ago.  :-+
What episode was it?
Sorry, I hardly listen since I'm more of a visual person (Wae2w, aVe, Afrotechmods, mikeselectricstuff, Scullcom, et al...)

Offline tesla500

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 06:53:07 am »
Ahh, someone's posted my project! Dave should be getting his soon, once customs lets go of it.

More details on the camera website
www.krontech.ca

The Kicksterter should go live November 23. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the design. I'll also be on The Amp Hour around Nov 30.

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 01:47:10 pm »
Ahh, someone's posted my project! Dave should be getting his soon, once customs lets go of it.

More details on the camera website
www.krontech.ca

The Kicksterter should go live November 23. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the design. I'll also be on The Amp Hour around Nov 30.
Ahh, what us Canadian's do for each other is great! Love your project!

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 02:25:14 pm »
Dave will get blow up caps again! This time in slow motion, instead of 300 FPS... 21k FPS...  :popcorn:
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Offline Bondguy

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 08:12:52 am »
@tesla500:
I'd be happy to answer any questions about the design.
So, can you please answer these:

Is that open hardware project?
You described your difficulties with DDR3. How many DDR3 modules do you use and how they are linked together and how they are used for writting/reading data?
Thank you

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 09:27:57 am »
Dave will get blow up caps again! This time in slow motion, instead of 300 FPS... 21k FPS...  :popcorn:

Taking suggestions on what to shoot with the camera...

Offline Kalidor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 03:38:45 pm »

I don't think it makes sense for your channel, RoI will be to small, except if you planning to do 100 videos with multimeter drop tests, caps overloading, hard-drive actuator moving tests, display refreshment rates, etc. A FLIR camera would make much more sense for your channel.
In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 06:07:22 pm »

I offered to buy one of the prototypes but now that you have one coming your way, I would really like to see how it does with an arc.  You have enough meters.  Maybe take a few back over to your friends place and hit them with his generator.  Or just cut some gap in some circuit boards so you're not damaging good meters.

The 1000fps from the Sony is alright considering the price of the camera but wonder if even 20X is fast enough.

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 06:30:32 pm »
Do a comparison of cheap glass fuses and HRC fuses when connected to full 240V mains.
The HRC fuse will be pretty boring, but the exploding glass fuse should make a nice video.
Instead of abusing mains, you can also use a large capacitor bank.

Flying sparks (the glowing/burning metal particles), always look great on highspeed. If you don't have a large high voltage capacitor for exploding the wires, use an angle grinder for generating the sparks.

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 06:41:11 pm »

I don't think it makes sense for your channel, RoI will be to small, except if you planning to do 100 videos with multimeter drop tests, caps overloading, hard-drive actuator moving tests, display refreshment rates, etc. A FLIR camera would make much more sense for your channel.
Not everything should be coldly decided upon by ROI, there are things that should be done in the true spirit of the craft. Dare I say, you haven't really soldered until you've finished and carelessly picked up the soldering iron too soon before it has cooled off.
Also these days, there are those who crave sensational video's where they might have passed by the channel altogether, and with this, Dave could sneak-in some educational facts and extra viewership.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 06:42:14 pm »

Mechanical contact bounce, like at the relay's contact, with close-up macro lens and crazy bright lamp to capture the tiny moving contacts, or the micro arcing during contact. Of course with the accompanying scope's shot on the signal.

Exploding or burning power semiconductors when exceeded their rating, hopefully will make the EEVSmoke series more exciting, rather than static photo.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 06:43:53 pm by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 07:21:28 am »

I have a FLIR camera and have used it countless times.
Now I have this camera, just got it. But Daddy Day Care tomorrow, so can't do anything with it  :(

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 08:53:02 pm »
Kickstarter has been posted: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1714585446/chronos-14-high-speed-camera?ref=nav_search

Really disappointed with the limits they set on the early bird specials. Good packages were sold out within just a few hours of their announcement.
Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf