Author Topic: Mooshimeter - Wireless SmartPhone Multimetre  (Read 80388 times)

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Mooshimeter - Wireless SmartPhone Multimetre
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2015, 09:52:23 pm »
2nd Run Production Update Today

Looks like they had some problems with their subcontractors and their calibration test jig. Sounds like they'll be shipping shortly.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2015, 01:51:29 am »
First 50 orders for the 2nd manufacturing run finally shipped, so about 1.5 months later than expected. Not too bad, all delays considered.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2015, 04:04:14 am »
USPS attempted to deliver my Mooshimeter yesterday, but I had it sent to my work address and no one was there. A buddy of mine received his yesterday and reports that the build quality is excellent  :-+

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2015, 04:22:49 am »
USPS attempted to deliver my Mooshimeter yesterday, but I had it sent to my work address and no one was there. A buddy of mine received his yesterday and reports that the build quality is excellent  :-+
I agree that the build quality is great. On the other hand, there are so many bugs / connectivity issues with both Android and iOS that I could never recommend this meter to anyone except a potential developer for their project at this point. I've been trying to use the meter to do some basic data logging since I received it yesterday, and it's been nothing but a pain in the ass to get it to connect / stay connected / take readings correctly. For example, auto-ranging in ACV seem to be flat out broken in the iOS app.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:25:59 am by nidlaX »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2015, 04:36:33 am »
I've had no issues with connectivity and my experience has been that any bugs have been quickly addressed by the developer. It's incredibly easy to update the firmware.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2015, 04:39:56 am »
I've had no issues with connectivity and my experience has been that any bugs have been quickly addressed by the developer. It's incredibly easy to update the firmware.
Can you let us know your phone / tablet model, OS version, app version, and meter firmware version? I believe that the meter probably works well for some people, but I suspect that the range of compatible devices is narrower than advertised.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2015, 04:56:12 am »
Can you let us know your phone / tablet model, OS version, app version, and meter firmware version? I believe that the meter probably works well for some people, but I suspect that the range of compatible devices is narrower than advertised.

I have one of the first ones shipped from the initial manufacturing run. I'm currently using it on iPhone 5s with iOS  8.3   firmware build is 1437089929. 

I'm not sure if he's supporting iOS9 yet.  (Website says only iOS 7 and 8  ).  If there are issues with newer iOS version or with newer Android versions I'm sure they will evenentually be addressed.

Do you have a first or second manufacturing run?  If there is an issue with the second run I'm sure he will address it.

I believe he is a one person shop - but even so he has been pretty quick to address past issues as they have arisen.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2015, 05:17:27 am »

I have one of the first ones shipped from the initial manufacturing run. I'm currently using it on iPhone 5s with iOS  8.3   firmware build is 1437089929. 

I'm not sure if he's supporting iOS9 yet.  (Website says only iOS 7 and 8  ).  If there are issues with newer iOS version or with newer Android versions I'm sure they will evenentually be addressed.

Do you have a first or second manufacturing run?  If there is an issue with the second run I'm sure he will address it.

I believe he is a one person shop - but even so he has been pretty quick to address past issues as they have arisen.
Thanks for the info. I have a second run unit. My unit has great difficulty connecting to my phone running Android 4.4. My iPad on 8.1 had no problems connecting, but AC V auto was causing disconnects. Upgrading to iOS 9.1 didn't change anything.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2015, 06:25:42 am »
Thanks for the info. I have a second run unit. My unit has great difficulty connecting to my phone running Android 4.4. My iPad on 8.1 had no problems connecting, but AC V auto was causing disconnects. Upgrading to iOS 9.1 didn't change anything.

Out of curiosity I tried to connect to my iPad Mini which I hadn't done in some time. It has iOS 9.1.  It wouldn't connect until I updated to the newest version (1.05) of the iOS app.  Works fine with the updated app.  No issues with AC voltage.

As far as your issue with a second run meter - I just  looked on the Mooshimeter website and saw this post:
Hi Readers,

The second run Mooshimeters have started arriving with customers, and some common issues have been coming up.

iOS users: The version of the app that is presently available for download is unstable with the new run of the meter.  The updated app was submitted to the app store on Nov. 1 in the hopes that it would be approved before customers started receiving the new meters, but sometimes Apples approvals can take over a week to give approval.  The update should be out within a few days.  Sorry for the delay.
Android users: If you already had the Mooshimeter app installed, please update.  There are slight modifications to the second manufacturing run that the latest app accounts for.  You can update by searching “Mooshimeter” in the Google.
Finally, if you ordered spare fuses, don’t worry if they weren’t in the box with your Mooshimeter, they’re being mailed separately.

Thanks

~James

As I said. James is on the ball. :-+

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2015, 07:12:15 am »
As far as your issue with a second run meter - I just  looked on the Mooshimeter website and saw this post:
Yes, I hope the new version of the iOS app resolves the issues with ACV I've been having. On the other hand, the newest version of the Android app is the version I've been using and having trouble with.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2015, 04:38:11 am »
I am experiencing Bluetooth disconnection on AC V after about 3 seconds (iPhone 5S, iOS 9.1). DC is fine.

If I manually turn the sample rate down to 125Hz, it will remain connected for much longer in AC mode (the voltage is much lower than expected, due to the low sample rate?).

The app has also crashed a couple of times in about 10 minutes of use.

Hoping the update addresses this issue. I am running v1.06 of the app.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:56:49 am by dadler »

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2015, 05:12:06 am »
Crash log, if it helps (attached). If you have the dSYM you can resymbolicate it.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2015, 06:17:59 am »
The mooshimeter updated its firmware to version 1446183524 (UNIX timestamp for Oct 30th).

This has not helped the connectivity issues on AC at all.

I am testing with V and common connected to US 120v 60Hz mains, and the other jacks left open.

I have noticed that if I leave channel 1 on temperature, and channel 2 in AC voltage (auto, 4000Hz/256 smpl)  the meter can stay connected for up to several minutes before disconnecting. After sitting connected for a couple of minutes, if I switch modes on channel 1 from temperature to 'Current DC' by tapping the 'INT' , the meter disconnects in 3-10 seconds with 100% reproducibility.

The hardware is nice, but the firmware/software on this device leaves quite a bit to be desired...   :-DMM

Edit: I was able to remain connected for over 30 minutes in channel 2 diode test mode, by leaving channel 1 set to 'Current DC'. I then toggled channel 1 to 'current AC' mode and was disconnected within a few seconds. This is another 100% reproducible method of achieving BT disconnection on my hardware/software configuration (iPhone 5S, iOS 9.1, v1.06 app).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:15:51 am by dadler »

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2015, 07:08:58 am »
Hmm - does the diode test mode work sensibly for anyone?

Direct short, I measure 176 uA diode test current. If I try to test a 1n4148, the test current drops to 160 nA and I read 177 mV on the mooshimeter.

If I test the Vbe of a 2N3904, I get 422mV @ 136 nA.

Is the current supposed to be *this* low?

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2015, 07:42:49 am »
I am experiencing Bluetooth disconnection on AC V after about 3 seconds (iPhone 5S, iOS 9.1). DC is fine.

If I manually turn the sample rate down to 125Hz, it will remain connected for much longer in AC mode (the voltage is much lower than expected, due to the low sample rate?).

This is supposed to be a known issue with that version of the app. From posts on the support forum, the latest app has not fixed iOS stability problems. The readings may also be slightly incorrect...

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2015, 08:46:22 am »
I tried the Mooshimeter on a Nexus 7 2013 (Android 5.1), using the latest app from the Google Play store.

The connection experience is much, much better compared to iOS, but after about 10 minutes it did disconnect. I could not reconnect without force-killing and restarting the mooshimeter application on my device. I believe this was a different sort of disconnection, in that the app data started going bizarre-o.

I had the meter connected to 120V 60 Hz mains across V/C jacks. With "current DC" selected on channel 1, I toggled between "Voltage AC" and "Voltage DC" on channel 2 (which changed the sample rate), and the data started freaking out--all over the place, finally reporting +/- 900V DC. Eventually the app disconnected from the meter and I couldn't reconnect. Haven't been able to reproduce, but not confidence inspiring.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2015, 08:47:03 am »

This is supposed to be a known issue with that version of the app. From posts on the support forum, the latest app has not fixed iOS stability problems. The readings may also be slightly incorrect...

Ah, didn't even know there was a support forum! Thanks.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2015, 07:08:47 am »
I tested the new app / firmware combo for iOS and the ACV disconnect problem seems to be fixed!

In addition, I seem to have discovered a remedy for my own Android 4.4.2 connection woes: adding a 10 second sleep in between the initial Bluetooth connection and the beginning of data reading/writing seems to have fixed my problem with the disconnects! That's the beauty of open source: if you can't wait, just fix it yourself.  :-DMM

On a side note: it sucks that Android's BLE implementation in 4.3/4.4 is such shit. In fact, I wouldn't even blame James if he chose to drop official support for older Android OSes entirely.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2015, 04:21:20 am »
I updated and my disconnect issue on AC volts appears to be fixed as well.

When I had my meter opened (to actuate the reset button), I noticed that the PCB is significantly warped at the battery end. The battery clips were soldered too high from the surface of the pcb, putting constant tension on the board. It's not as obvious when the meter is closed, but when open the pcb curves up about a millimeter.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2015, 12:25:59 pm »
I updated and my disconnect issue on AC volts appears to be fixed as well.

When I had my meter opened (to actuate the reset button), I noticed that the PCB is significantly warped at the battery end. The battery clips were soldered too high from the surface of the pcb, putting constant tension on the board. It's not as obvious when the meter is closed, but when open the pcb curves up about a millimeter.
Yes, I've noticed the clearance for the battery clips isn't the best, but tolerable perhaps.

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2016, 06:02:29 am »
Anyone who has gotten one of this -- I'm curious what is the ADC & voltage reference used  ? Can't find it anywhere. Shouldn't be more difficult than peeking through the bottom of the transparent case.
Thanks!

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2016, 07:03:14 am »
Anyone who has gotten one of this -- I'm curious what is the ADC & voltage reference used  ? Can't find it anywhere. Shouldn't be more difficult than peeking through the bottom of the transparent case.
Thanks!

ADC appears to be an ADS1292 from TI.

I'm not sure about the voltage reference. There's a few candidate chips but I can't make out markings.

Have you tried posting the question on the support forum? James is pretty responsive.

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2016, 09:18:13 am »
ADC appears to be an ADS1292 from TI.
I'm not sure about the voltage reference. There's a few candidate chips but I can't make out markings.
Have you tried posting the question on the support forum? James is pretty responsive.
Thanks! Google-ing for Mooshimieter and ADS1292 lead me to this teardown : http://martin.engineer/wp/?p=375
ADC is indeed the ADS1292. Bluetooth module is  CC2540.
The voltage reference is built into the ADS1292. It's +-0.5% + 45ppm/C.
It has 19 noise-free bits at 125SPS which actually is 40SPS since it takes at least 3 cycles for data to fully settle.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2016, 06:30:48 pm »
Old topic but worthy of a bump since I just saw Electroboom use one of these.

Looks pretty decent - anyone used one?

Needs a teardown, Dave.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2016, 07:15:38 pm »
Yes, I have one.
It is particularly useful for logging current and voltage simultaneously.
You can log to your phone or it is able to log to its own micro SD card if you supply one.
Slight downside is that a small amount of the plastic case needs to be removed to use the micro SD card slot and this invalidates the CAT rating.
I am only using it for ELV so the CAT rating is not important to me for this device.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf