Author Topic: Mooshimeter - Wireless SmartPhone Multimetre  (Read 80637 times)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: Mooshimeter - Wireless SmartPhone Multimetre
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2014, 07:47:19 am »
If ALL you wanted was a DMM that can stream data to a bluetooth device, then yes that would accomplish it,
Yes that's all I want. Measuring ac and dc voltages upto 400V. Auto power off is fine for me.

but if that's all you think the mooshimeter does then maybe you should re-read the description of it.
No the one who thinks that's the only thing it is capable of, is an idiot.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:50:09 am by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2014, 03:48:02 pm »
If ALL you wanted was a DMM that can stream data to a bluetooth device, then yes that would accomplish it,
Yes that's all I want. Measuring ac and dc voltages upto 400V. Auto power off is fine for me.

Then the reality is there's already products on the market for you.  You can go buy an Agilent DMM right now and do just that.  Their app is on play store.

What I feel is telling is I put on this forum development of a Android app specifically for this with graphing, histogram, statistics, logging etc.  There was a bunch of interest at first, but in the end I stopped bothering since no one actually had any interest in using it (maybe 2 people actually bothered downloading it.)  Whilst I may not have "marketed" the idea strongly, the simple DMM to phone/tablet idea doesn't seem to have any interest and I highly doubt you could make any money from it without building something really special.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2014, 02:18:50 am »

What I feel is telling is I put on this forum development of a Android app specifically for this with graphing, histogram, statistics, logging etc.  There was a bunch of interest at first, but in the end I stopped bothering since no one actually had any interest in using it (maybe 2 people actually bothered downloading it.)  Whilst I may not have "marketed" the idea strongly, the simple DMM to phone/tablet idea doesn't seem to have any interest and I highly doubt you could make any money from it without building something really special.

Hello Harv,
I was following and had some interest in your app and the general area of bench meter logging. Right now I only have an HP 3457a and have just received one of Steve Casagrande's GPIB adapters - yesterday! I have started by experimenting with my other GPIB device, an HP 6632b power supply because it is newer and would be a better platform to get working first. My goal right now is to get HP3457 to linux logging and 7th digit reading working over the wired GPIB. Android and bluetooth isn't my prefered target at the moment, sorry you are not feeling the forum love, maybe the other forum members have similar end goals.

Best wishes and hope you countinue

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 03:24:10 am »
sorry you are not feeling the forum love, maybe the other forum members have similar end goals.

For me there's absolutely nothing to feel bad about.  Just starting that development landed me a number of Android/bluetooth programming jobs, so despite it not really going anywhere it was a positive for me.

Offline EricVanWyk

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2014, 04:44:45 pm »
I can't see a current shunt, and if i do see a shunt, i don't see kelvin connections to it...
I agree with the voltage socket and the cutout comment above.
How do you turn the thing off?
What is the battery life like?
If the battery life is meant to be as good as they want it to be, then you'll need to change the fuse & sd card more often, should have made the SDcard accessible via the side, not remove the battery like above commenter.

Peter -

I wanted to let you know that we took your feedback and improved the accessibility of the SDcard.  It is now accessible by the side, as you suggested.

You now can pop it out with a credit card - Don't worry, it won't be charged - This allows us to keep the clearance distances necessary for safety.

http://moosh.im/2014/03/revf-hardware-testing/

- Eric

Offline OSaG

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2014, 04:37:04 pm »
I don't know why a German should lough about the name. It means cat-meter...

But, looks like a cool device, may i'll buy one :)

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2014, 06:23:30 pm »
May you will. Or it might mean "wife of Edmund Stoiber"-meter. Guess that'd be even more useless.

Offline eug

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2014, 03:22:45 am »
With regards to the name, yes it's odd and probably not very professional.. but naming a test equipment company after an unexpected occurrence or simply good luck doesn't make much sense anyway!

fluke
noun
1. an unlikely chance occurrence, especially a surprising piece of luck.
synonyms:   chance, coincidence, accident, a twist of fate; More

verb
verb: fluke; 3rd person present: flukes; past tense: fluked; past participle: fluked; gerund or present participle: fluking
1. achieve (something) by luck rather than skill.
Anyway, it looks like it's finally about to ship! I just put my order in yesterday. They say their first batch is enough to cover all their pre-orders.

I was after a basic setup to log battery charging currents. I first tried the Jaycar QM1576 Bluetooth multimeter with the Meterbox app. The Android app could show measurements, but the exporting function didn't work - I just ended up with a csv file that contained numbers 1-7. No data. The iOS app worked and logged properly, but hung after a few hours, losing all data.

I then exchanged it for the QM1571 wireless multimeter that talks to a Windows program. The software interface was pretty awful, but it did work. What the cardboard box didn't show though, was the size of the wireless receiver! It's half the size of my palm with a permanently-attached ~1.8m USB cable that didn't sit securely in my ThinkPad's USB port. What a mess - they should have just stuck with an optical interface, IMHO.

I ended up returning it too as it was a pretty messy solution with a poorly-designed app. If I didn't run it as admin, an unhandled exception error would pop up when changing the sampling rate. I can't just view a live reading without logging it. When I export the readings to a csv, after I specify the filename an error pops up (forgot what it was), then Excel opens up with the data loaded. I then have to save the file again.

The guys behind Mooshimeter look like they're more on-the-ball in terms of software design, and their regular updates inspire some confidence that they're actually going to produce something. The replies by their rep on various forums are definitely better than the Voltset rep, who didn't really inspire much confidence in me.

I don't have to log anything mains-related so safety isn't really a concern for me, but it looks like the did get properly certified anyway. I just hope they can deliver on the software side of things. Engineers aren't usually the best at UI design and implementation. :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:26:54 am by eug »

Offline seancsnm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2015, 12:33:23 am »
My meter just came in the mail today. And the first thing I found out is that although the software probably was compatible with my iPod Touch 4 back when the funding campaign was going on, it isn't anymore. The software requires iOS 8, which cannot be installed on the iPod 4. So right now, the device is a bit useless. I don't plan on upgrading my iPod, as I hardly ever use it, and while I have always appreciated Apple's hardware, I don't have the same opinion about other aspects of their products.

Bleh, it looks like I may have just not paid attention. https://moosh.im/2015/01/quick-note-about-ios7/#comment-5605 :palm:
Good news though is that iOS 7 will be supported eventually. For those who have that kind of support.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:44:37 am by seancsnm »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2015, 12:43:13 am »
My meter just came in the mail today. And the first thing I found out is that although the software probably was compatible with my iPod Touch 4 back when the funding campaign was going on, it isn't anymore. The software requires iOS 8, which cannot be installed on the iPod 4. So right now, the device is a bit useless. I don't plan on upgrading my iPod, as I hardly ever use it, and while I have always appreciated Apple's hardware, I don't have the same opinion about other aspects of their products.

Bleh, maybe there is a work-around.  :palm:

Have a look at the newest blog post HERE

It looks like he's got a IOS 7 compatible version in the works

I just checked the tracking and mine was delivered today. I'm working today so won't be able to play with it until tonight. Looking forward to it!

Offline seancsnm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2015, 12:46:07 am »
I edited my last post, as I saw the blog post just before you posted.

Offline MyCo

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2015, 07:38:02 pm »
Although you can compensate bad product names with good marketing, this product would get a lot of problems in Germany. I mean it is called "Pussy meter". I don't think any serious electronic shop would sell something with such a name. They would get kicked in the butt by the media. The specs don't really matter in that case.
And beside the bad reputation you'll get for this, you'll get serious problems with feminists  >:D

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2015, 09:47:19 am »
Although you can compensate bad product names with good marketing, this product would get a lot of problems in Germany. I mean it is called "Pussy meter". I don't think any serious electronic shop would sell something with such a name. They would get kicked in the butt by the media. The specs don't really matter in that case.
And beside the bad reputation you'll get for this, you'll get serious problems with feminists  >:D

Joking aside, its not going to be a problem. It's aimed at hobbyists so no one serious will consider it, and if they do they're serious enough to look at the specs not the name. Last time I checked sales didn't go down when HP changed to Agilent, changed to Keysight, changed to Super Compu Global Hyper Mega dot com. Also you can pronounce it in the German way meter ("Moo" like the "o" in motor).

Offline eug

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2015, 11:15:54 am »
It's aimed at hobbyists so no one serious will consider it, and if they do they're serious enough to look at the specs not the name.

Speaking of brand names, let's not forget what the word "Fluke" actually means. :)

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2015, 02:55:01 am »
Odd name aside, I finally got a chance to play with mine this evening and I'm pretty happy with it.

I just did a few simple tests and compared its readings to my Rigol DM3058 and my electronic load.

Cliffnotes - it doesn't do single digit or below mV or mA well.  Above about 10mV or 10mA and the error comes down quickly.

Measurements are below:
Code: [Select]
Fixed voltage source, no current
Rigol              Mooshimeter
0.253mV       0.4mV (only does .1mV precision)

3.0127V         3.0133V

Current feeding a little logger device I have
1.61892mA   2.4mA (only does .1mA precision)

Current using CC on my bench supply (supply set to 211mA)
210.721mA   211.4mA

Simultaneous voltage and current measurements using the bench supply and an electronic load (I used low current to try to keep the voltage drop in the leads as small as possible)
Load         Rigol              Mooshimeter
16.722V   16.7216V       16.7203V
49.0mA    49.653mA      50.4mA

Measuring a 1k resistor
1002.05R      1000.72R

You can sample and log at up to 8kHz, 1-64 point smoothing, and just turn the phone sideways to graph it.  Syncing the device with the phone was incredibly easy.  The only thing I didn't like in the UI was how you change modes between current, resistance, etc.  Other than that, the interface is very KISS and easy to use, and the device itself feels very solidly built, decent quality leads, nice case, extra fuse, etc.

I like the separation between the device and the display that it gives you.  No more tweaking your neck trying to see the LCD on the DMM attached to the circuit on one side of the bench while you adjust something on the other side of the bench.  Just put the display where you need it, and leave the DMM next to whatever it's measuring.

For quick and dirty measurements I'll probably still go for my Fluke, nothing beats picking up the device, twisting the knob to the right mode, poking the DUT, and getting an instant reading, versus doing all of the same PLUS pulling out your phone, unlocking it, finding the app, etc.  That said, I can certainly envision many scenarios in which I would prefer the Mooshimeter over either the handheld Fluke or the bench Rigol, so it's going to stay in the lab.

I didn't get a chance to test the logging capability yet, hopefully soon.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2015, 02:04:59 pm »
It's aimed at hobbyists so no one serious will consider it, and if they do they're serious enough to look at the specs not the name.

Speaking of brand names, let's not forget what the word "Fluke" actually means. :)

Flatworm? :P
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2015, 09:43:30 pm »
I see there still isn't any safety rating on this thing. I am interested but I would like to now more about its safety first as I will would want to use this on some pretty high energy equipment.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2015, 09:46:35 pm »
I see there still isn't any safety rating on this thing. I am interested but I would like to now more about its safety first as I will would want to use this on some pretty high energy equipment.

Well, it's wireless so at least you don't have to be near it if it goes bang!

If it helps, I've been impressed with the build quality of mine.  Though I haven't tested it on any high energy circuits yet.

Online HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2015, 10:00:18 pm »
My Mooshimeter has a CAT3 600V rating.
Here is a bit about their testing: https://moosh.im/2014/07/dielectriclessonslearned/

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2015, 10:07:33 pm »
My Mooshimeter has a CAT3 600V rating.
Here is a bit about their testing: https://moosh.im/2014/07/dielectriclessonslearned/

Oh, yep- it's true,mine too. I'm at work so don't have mine in front of me but IIRC the CAT rating is printed on the case of the product that shipped.  I believe they had to change the design so the SD card is not accessible without opening the meter to meet that CAT rating.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:09:19 pm by mtdoc »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2015, 12:51:42 am »
So it appears that they did only in house testing and didn't disclose the tests done. They only say that it passed all relevant tests. Who decided it was relevant or not and why aren't all the tests published if this only done in house?

Offline eug

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2015, 01:03:58 am »
So it appears that they did only in house testing and didn't disclose the tests done.

Hmm, they mentioned in another update that the testing was done at a local TUV testing facility.
https://moosh.im/2014/07/electricallycompliant/

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2015, 03:53:45 am »
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't have time to research their progress. I think I will ordering one or two.

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2015, 03:25:40 pm »
this device looks good  :-+

this DMM + android enabled TV screen !

Where’s the apk to download and see the screen?

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2015, 04:16:46 pm »
you mean this ?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mooshim.mooshimeter

i like the future expandability of this device, he said it is open errr source?

and the way he made the blog for this, its like a making of documentary, not many creators would share so much  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf