Author Topic: Mooshimeter - Wireless SmartPhone Multimetre  (Read 80402 times)

Offline remixed123Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Github
Mooshimeter - Wireless SmartPhone Multimetre
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:32:28 am »
This looks like an interesting product.

http://www.dragoninnovation.com/projects/34-mooshimeter

Measure 600V and 10A with 24 bit resolution through 50 meters of space and 6 months of time

The Mooshimeter makes multi-channel measurements possible in situations that are too fast, too slow, too sensitive, or too dangerous to use a traditional multimeter. And by harnessing your smartphone’s hardware, it does so at an insanely low price.
LightServer - Mobile App controlled, Wi-Fi enabled RGB lighting with music synchronized effects and much more -  https://www.hackster.io/remixed123/lightserver/

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
Re: Mooshimeter - Wireless SmartPhone Multimetre
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 04:36:16 am »
It is interesting.
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 06:34:16 am »
whats the battery life?

Offline Jon86

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:35:53 am »
Cool product, same about the totally shit name.
"Oh yeah, my new Mooshimeter arrived today"  :palm:

Anyway, the '24-bit' resolution doesn't sound too convincing, sounds like he just stuck a 24-bit ADC in it and thought that every bit is going to be usable data...
Death, taxes and diode losses.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 08:10:42 am »

Anyway, the '24-bit' resolution doesn't sound too convincing, sounds like he just stuck a 24-bit ADC in it and thought that every bit is going to be usable data...

In their data sheet they claim >18 bits/ @ 125 samples per second, and 8khz fastest sample rate on two channels, so yeah something has to give.
Low burden voltage though. 

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 08:21:59 am »
Chris Gammell needs to be paid royalties for his prediction :D
'in ze future every meter and oscilloscope will work with tablets'
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 08:52:35 am »
I got me one of the early bird specials as the dollar exchange-rate is nice and all. If I ever get one and there's still interest I will do a teardown/review.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 09:15:01 am »

You will never get 24 real bits, and there will be a tradeoff between sample rate and resolution, but it's better than most DMMs in that price range. The hard part is getting the rest of the circuitry that accurate.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 09:41:25 am »
To be honest I don't care too much about the precision, as long as I get 3 digits out of it. But yes there's a lot that can go wrong. The prototype seems nice though.

What I don't like is that they put the SD-slot under the batteries. So you have get them out in order to change the SD-card. The fuse is also kinda hard to reach.

Input protection and board design seem reasonable, but not great:

You think it's bad in English. But mushy only means soft to you. In German it's a totally different ball-park.

"Oh yeah, my new female genital meter arrived today!" :-DMM
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 12:00:51 pm by con-f-use »

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 11:45:04 am »
You can actually buy something similar from Gossen:

Metrahit Ultra BT with Bluetooth: http://www.gossenmetrawatt.com/gmc/english/produkte/metrahitultra.htm

The Metralog App for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.ritso.gossenmetrawatt
for(;;);

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 11:56:29 am »

For $800...

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »

For $800...

Well, it is a quality, high precision, 300,000 count multimeter, with traceable calibration, all the safety features, etc. Depends on what you need. On the other hand, you could whip something up similar with an AVR and a bluetooth modem for ~$10.
for(;;);

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 12:50:19 pm »
I was simply taking issue with the "something similar" part.

Also c'mon the parts for the Mooshimeter look like more than ten bucks. And by the time I'd have my shoehorned wip-up ready and an Android app, I'd invested way more than $75 of my time not to mention the dead prototypes on the way.

Offline psycho0815

• Regular Contributor
    • H-REG Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 01:36:50 pm »

You think it's bad in English. But mushy only means soft to you. In German it's a totally different ball-park.

That's gonna make an awesome pickup-line:
"Hey Baby, soll ich dir mal mein Muschi-Meter zeigen?"
I might get one just because of this.
Otherwise, i don't exactly have a need for it. In the rare cases i could actually use a bt meter i just use one of my agilents with the BT Adapter.
If you like, check out my blog (german):
http://h-reg.blogspot.de

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 02:45:10 pm »
I can't see a current shunt, and if i do see a shunt, i don't see kelvin connections to it...
I agree with the voltage socket and the cutout comment above.
How do you turn the thing off?
What is the battery life like?
If the battery life is meant to be as good as they want it to be, then you'll need to change the fuse & sd card more often, should have made the SDcard accessible via the side, not remove the battery like above commenter.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 02:57:52 pm »
Current shunt resistor is the green smd comonent (first picture lower right corner). Turnoff is done over the connected tablet or via timeout. Bluetooth 4 has monitor capability to listen for wake-up signals.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:00:04 pm by con-f-use »

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 03:56:16 pm »
Current shunt resistor is the green smd comonent (first picture lower right corner). Turnoff is done over the connected tablet or via timeout. Bluetooth 4 has monitor capability to listen for wake-up signals.

I see that, but i don't see any connections to it, or nearby vias, I guess its a 4 layer board and they've stuck the vias under it then.

I don't like the sound of that method of off/on, sounds like it could be very problematic...

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 08:44:43 pm »
In German it's a totally different ball-park.

The shape of the meter suddenly makes a whole lot of sense. :D

It's a neat idea, but the input protection seems dubious. I wouldn't trust that meter with any kind of high-energy circuit measurements.
The ultra long datalogging capability is also overhyped, because you are not going to leave your mobile phone sitting there for a week. It would be neat if the meter could log data onto its internal memory (microSD card slot, maybe?) and you could connect to it with your phone later and extract the data.

It may be ok as a second meter, but it's definitely not going to cut it as a general purpose meter. Having to play with your smartphone when doing measurements is too inconvenient, not to mention that the battery life of smartphones nowadays is appalling.

Also, would you consider borrowing your mooshimeter and phone to a colleague? What if your significant other decides to send you a quirky text while he's doing measurements with your phone?
Ok, then again, I wouldn't let colleagues borrow my standalone meters, either. ::)
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline psycho0815

• Regular Contributor
    • H-REG Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 08:57:04 pm »
In German it's a totally different ball-park.

The shape of the meter suddenly makes a whole lot of sense. :D

It's a neat idea, but the input protection seems dubious. I wouldn't trust that meter with any kind of high-energy circuit measurements.
The ultra long datalogging capability is also overhyped, because you are not going to leave your mobile phone sitting there for a week. It would be neat if the meter could log data onto its internal memory (microSD card slot, maybe?) and you could connect to it with your phone later and extract the data.

It may be ok as a second meter, but it's definitely not going to cut it as a general purpose meter. Having to play with your smartphone when doing measurements is too inconvenient, not to mention that the battery life of smartphones nowadays is appalling.

Also, would you consider borrowing your mooshimeter and phone to a colleague? What if your significant other decides to send you a quirky text while he's doing measurements with your phone?
Ok, then again, I wouldn't let colleagues borrow my standalone meters, either. ::)

Well youre college could use it with his own phone.
Apart from that i agree with you. Bluetooth capability is a nice gimmick on a normal Meter, but without a normal display it's basically a datalogger. Shure useful in some cases, but no replacement for a real dmm.
As for input protection, i don't know what kind of cat-rating they're shooting for, but given the concept of that thing, at least you propably won't hold it in your hand when it blows up...

Offline h1386343

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 09:05:48 pm »

They show it hooked up to a 400VDC source in the video, and measuring mains current in a few places.  Of course, accidentally connecting current mode across mains is another matter and I'd love to see that tested.

In the studio shot of the board it also looks like two rather large diodes are missing in the input protection area.  Maybe final version has more?

It has a microSD card slot.  Streaming data out over BLE would be too slow though, you'll probably need to remove the card to retrieve data.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 09:46:05 pm »
I see that, but i don't see any connections to it, or nearby vias
What of the vias near the input protection devices next to it?

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 11:59:40 pm »
They show it hooked up to a 400VDC source in the video, and measuring mains current in a few places.  Of course, accidentally connecting current mode across mains is another matter and I'd love to see that tested.

In the studio shot of the board it also looks like two rather large diodes are missing in the input protection area.  Maybe final version has more?
Every time Dave cracks opens a decent multimeter, you see several MOVs, a large PTC, HRC fuses, etc. Do you see any of this in this flimsy meter? That case also doesn't look like it would offer much protection if something suddenly decided to explode.

Look at it this way: You need to make a quick measurement of something. Would you be willing to go to Google Play/iTunes App Store/whatever Windows phones have, find the correct app, download it, install it, open the app, pair your phone to the multimeter and then start taking measurements? It's a slap to the face of productivity.

Another thing I don't like:
Voltage
Up to 600V, DC or peak AC
Up to 420VAC RMS sinusoidal
Better than 0.5% accuracy DC
Better than 1.0% accuracy AC for harmonic content below 1kHz
>10 Megaohm input impedance

High Precision Voltage:
Up to 100mV with <15nV per count resolution
Up to 1.2V with <200nV per count resolution

Current, Internal
Up to 10 Amps
20 µV / mA burden voltage (using factory fuse)
Less than 5 µA per count in 10 Amp scale
Better than 1% accuracy

Resistance
Better than 1% accuracy over 20 Ohms –  20 Megaohms

Frequency
Better than 1% accuracy up to 1kHz

Seriously, 1%? A shitty analog meter can do 0.5%. If they brag about 24-bits, it should be at least two orders of magnitude better.

Note on Provided Accuracies:

The accuracies and tolerances listed here are preliminary and conservative.  They do not include temperature compensation or factory calibration.

Expect these numbers to improve as we develop our calibration procedures.
Not convincing. Not convincing at all.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 12:16:52 am »
Re SD card, maybe the idea is you don't remove it but upload via BT.
Though SPI flash may be a better option as power draw would be lower - don't think you really need the huge capacity of SD for this.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 07:58:58 pm »
You should address the concerns the community there [EEVBlog] has. Main points to this date are:

-How do you get to the logged data that's on the SD card? Streaming over
Bluetooth is slow and the SD card is hard to reach under the batteries
with no slot on the enclosure.
- How do you turn it on and off?
- "I don't see kelvin connections to the [current shunt]."
- Isn't the input protection a little flimsy? I don't see multiple MOVs, a large PTC, HRC fuses etc.
- What is the update rate? Don't you sacrafice accuracy at your aimed-for rate?
- 0.5% accuracy DC and 1.0% accuracy AC, FRQ and OHMs are not great and the " temperature compensation or factory calibration" argument is not very convincing.

Thanks [con-f-use]! I'll head over.
- Everything can be controlled via BLE.
- I do! Though it might be hard to see an inner layer trace from a photo...
- Our input protection is being tested to a CATIII 600V rating.
- There are many sample rates to choose from. The slower ones are lower noise than the faster ones, as expected.
- Stay tuned for an update!

Offline EricVanWyk

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 08:27:59 pm »
Hi!  I'm one of the electrical engineers at Mooshim working on the Mooshimeter. 

Its been a hectic week trying to keep up with all the excitement, please forgive our latency!

Input Protection:
We are rating to CATIII 600V, and everything that entails under 61010.  Half of my background is medical sensors / therapy delivery, so I've had to make the transition from 60601. 

Kelvin Connections:
Immediately under the device, differential routing back to the converter on an inner layer.    Very hard to see from a photograph...

Datalogging:
No need to keep your phone paired for datalogging.  It'll log headless just fine.

Battery Life:
BLE draws very low current, and our math is showing multi-year standby time.

The Name: 
Now I know 13 words in German.   :-[

Offline psycho0815

• Regular Contributor
    • H-REG Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 08:42:24 pm »

The Name: 
Now I know 13 words in German.   :-[

I wouldn't worry about it. No matter what name you choose, it will always mean something nasty in one language or another.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 08:50:43 pm »
Than thank you very much for your quick reply, Eric. Sounds good so far. There is an ongoing discussion on an Open Source Multimeter in this forum. Dave did a as well. You might draw inspiration from there...

Quote from: mooshimeter-backer-update
We've gotten great questions and suggestions from you, and there are actually two new features we'll be announcing soon that started as an email to hello@moosh.im.  We want to use the combined wisdom of the 377 (and rising!) backers to set the course moving forward:

What do you want to see for stretch goals and add-ons?

Is there a particular demo you’d like to see?  If you have an idea for a demo that would help us reach a target audience, we’ll try to make it happen.

Tell us by posting a video response to our launch video or by emailing hello@moosh.im

And now, a preview of coming attractions:

- More Demo Videos

- Accuracy characterization and improvements

- Compatibility with your favorite multimeter add-ons

I swear I don't work for them  ::)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:55:32 pm by con-f-use »

Offline Jon86

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 01:13:03 pm »
The name still makes me cringe a little every time I say it in my head, they'd probably sell quite a few more if they gave it a more professional name (and look).
Seems promising though, If I haven't put my own one together in a few weeks I might consider buying myself one!
Death, taxes and diode losses.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 01:56:31 pm »
[...] sell quite a few more if they gave it a more professional name (and look).
The importance of names is overrated, see Keysight Technology. Just marketing dicks dicking around, don't pay attention. As to the look, I suspect when Mooshis (*German chuckle*) go into production they'll be more efficient than 3D-printing a case for (500+) meters. Btw. what will your's be called? In the present spirit, I'd suggest "Fleshimeter" "Falshy-Meter". :-DD

Btw. what is it with the Moo-Names lately?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:23:03 pm by con-f-use »

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 09:42:36 am »
The things I like:

-Distance between measurement and display. Measurement in the engine compartiment of a car, at the cold roof, in a noisy room, visualisation somewhere nearby.

-It has a graphic time-display, and I like that they still call it multimeter. Twitteristic dreamerfabricants would have called it a Scope.

The things I don't like/ don't know/ want on it:

-Magnet sticked to it, so I can fix it in the engine bay.
-Clamp or hook, so I can attach it.
-2 Holes in it, or at the side, so I can screw it onto something.
-µUSB port for charging/continuous measuring.
-multiple devices on 1 smartphone, one device to multiple smartphones.

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 05:33:27 pm »
The things I like:

-Distance between measurement and display. Measurement in the engine compartiment of a car, at the cold roof, in a noisy room, visualisation somewhere nearby.

-It has a graphic time-display, and I like that they still call it multimeter. Twitteristic dreamerfabricants would have called it a Scope.

The things I don't like/ don't know/ want on it:

-Magnet sticked to it, so I can fix it in the engine bay.
-Clamp or hook, so I can attach it.
-2 Holes in it, or at the side, so I can screw it onto something.
-µUSB port for charging/continuous measuring.
-multiple devices on 1 smartphone, one device to multiple smartphones.

Wired charger would be a big isolation/safety issue, especially on microusb.  See the kinds of connectors that fluke scopemeters use for charging, and the big expensive high-isolation power brick.

However... If you could do a Qi charger, then isolation can be taken care of.  Perhaps an upgrade? so it can run off of 2 AA's or a li-poly/Qi charger module which fits in the AA size battery compartment.

Offline EricVanWyk

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 06:01:00 pm »
Galenbo -

We are still finalizing the enclosure, but we are currently thinking that the back will have a nut embedded at the center to make it easier to attach to things.

An earlier case rev had two magnets permanently embedded in it, but half our testers wanted it and the other half didn't.

The protocol can handle multiple meters per host device.  The app does not currently support it, mostly from a user experience / user interaction point of view.  The GATT profile and API will be open source so that users can support additional interactions (like this).

ConKbot hit the nail on the head w.r.t. charging.  We are rating to CATIII 600V, so any exposed connectors need to be protected and tested.

I love that phrase.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 07:41:12 pm »
If you are going to rate it CATIII 600V, are you going to get it third party tested/certified?

Offline EricVanWyk

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 07:49:03 pm »
Lightages -

Yes.  We've done our own testing in house, but we are working with a local test house to get the official stamp of approval.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:03:22 am by EricVanWyk »

Offline arkayy

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 10:26:03 pm »
Maybe its been a long day but who would actually call this a scope? It seems to be missing some key features and logging/display does not make a scope.

Also not sure what a dreamerfabricant is but I feel like I should hit it with a stick. A very heavy, sharp stick.

Separate question too. What is Dragon Innovation as a crowdfunding platform? I'm familiar with some of the others but this one is new to me.

Offline fake-name

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 09:36:54 am »
Maybe its been a long day but who would actually call this a scope? It seems to be missing some key features and logging/display does not make a scope.

I suspect most marketing departments would disagree.

Offline magiccow

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 04:19:20 pm »
The iPhone 3GS doesn't have Bluetooth 4/BLE, so I wonder how their video demos work.
c:\> format c: /s

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2014, 08:33:33 pm »
still finalizing the enclosure

I've heard that before...

*cough* MooOptics *cough*

Offline Gallymimus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 02:11:06 pm »

Every time Dave cracks opens a decent multimeter, you see several MOVs, a large PTC, HRC fuses, etc. Do you see any of this in this flimsy meter? That case also doesn't look like it would offer much protection if something suddenly decided to explode.

Look at it this way: You need to make a quick measurement of something. Would you be willing to go to Google Play/iTunes App Store/whatever Windows phones have, find the correct app, download it, install it, open the app, pair your phone to the multimeter and then start taking measurements? It's a slap to the face of productivity.

Another thing I don't like:
Voltage
Up to 600V, DC or peak AC
Up to 420VAC RMS sinusoidal
Better than 0.5% accuracy DC
Better than 1.0% accuracy AC for harmonic content below 1kHz

High Precision Voltage:
Up to 100mV with <15nV per count resolution
Up to 1.2V with <200nV per count resolution

Current, Internal
Up to 10 Amps
20 µV / mA burden voltage (using factory fuse)
Less than 5 µA per count in 10 Amp scale
Better than 1% accuracy

Resistance
Better than 1% accuracy over 20 Ohms –  20 Megaohms

Frequency
Better than 1% accuracy up to 1kHz

Seriously, 1%? A shitty analog meter can do 0.5%. If they brag about 24-bits, it should be at least two orders of magnitude better.

Note on Provided Accuracies:

The accuracies and tolerances listed here are preliminary and conservative.  They do not include temperature compensation or factory calibration.

Expect these numbers to improve as we develop our calibration procedures.
Not convincing. Not convincing at all.

Yeah I'm also not so sure about the accuracy and bit depth.  Does anyone know if they are using a PGA or doing any other form of gain switching?  If it only has one or two scales and they are quoting 1% of full scale accuracy then even more than 12 bits doesn't do much for you.

Offline EricVanWyk

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 04:38:32 pm »
We have a PGA on all channels, and some of the channels have 2 or 3 "major ranges" as well.  For example, the "V" input had major ranges of 600V and  60V, each further divided by the PGA.  Now we've added a third major range of 1.2V, again further divided by the PGA.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 08:57:28 am »
I suspect most marketing departments would disagree.

I agree on that one, the marketing guys from the defunct Kodak who came with "tested up to 300 years" (look it up if you don't believe me) must still work somewhere.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 09:38:07 am »
still finalizing the enclosure

I've heard that before...

*cough* MooOptics *cough*
*grin*

When I read that part about the enclosure I also experienced a bit of MooooOptics deja vu. ;)

Luckily it's 2 months later now. So the enclosure is finalized and it breezed through CAT III certification at that local test house as mentioned 2 months ago? Oh oh oh, or did you guys get a new enclosure, and then the certification results were invalidated, and then you had to redo the certification, and then <fill_in/>? Just kidding. maybe

Anyways, I do hope it succeeds because it does look like a cute idea.

Offline Orpheus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 04:17:05 am »
I've met the MooshiMeter guys, have held the prototypes, belong to the same Makerspace (better local nagging) and will gladly buy a pre-order off an EEVblogger who is getting cold feet.

Why? I foolishly weighed only *my* needs vs the wait time, without allowing for "pre-swipage" (i.e. long delay = high probability that a CuteChick would wheedle me into "lending" mine to her longer-term-than-she-admits project before I even got it!) Rookie Engineering mistake!

I'll gladly buy off your buyers remorse (less headache for you *and* them), but respond soon. Though I didn't cross paths with them in February, I'll probably run into them soon, and will be shameless about sending CuteChick to cajol Just One More(tm) out of them directly. Why should I go without when she can wheedle them directly? (Ans: because that's just her way)

The preceding is a commentary on CuteChick personally and not Chicks in general -- that would be sexist.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2014, 06:25:49 am »
I've met the MooshiMeter guys, have held the prototypes, belong to the same Makerspace (better local nagging) and will gladly buy a pre-order off an EEVblogger who is getting cold feet.

Why? I foolishly weighed only *my* needs vs the wait time, without allowing for "pre-swipage" (i.e. long delay = high probability that a CuteChick would wheedle me into "lending" mine to her longer-term-than-she-admits project before I even got it!) Rookie Engineering mistake!

I'll gladly buy off your buyers remorse (less headache for you *and* them), but respond soon. Though I didn't cross paths with them in February, I'll probably run into them soon, and will be shameless about sending CuteChick to cajol Just One More(tm) out of them directly. Why should I go without when she can wheedle them directly? (Ans: because that's just her way)

The preceding is a commentary on CuteChick personally and not Chicks in general -- that would be sexist.

Orpheus, eh? You should cut a little bit short on the weed.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Orpheus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 03:19:25 pm »
Was it just my goofy mood when I posted that, or am I missing something substantive?

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 12:31:03 pm »
Wouldn't it be easyer/better to take an existing multimeter (40 euro) and connect a bluetooth module to the display pins and eventually the range selector?

The laptop/smartphone gets a number and a unit every 0.5 seconds. Done.

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 01:13:39 pm »
- usually size DOES matter (see the interest for Dave's USB power supply)
- you don't need to connect to display pins, many (even cheap) millimeters would have optical output over some kind of opto-coupled serial - you don't even need a level converter as the serial device would be powered over serial so the level is controlled by the voltage you feed
- however I don't know about any cheap multimeter that measures V and A at the same time.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2014, 04:10:16 pm »
Additionally the battery consumption would suffer much.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 05:25:52 pm »
Problems with that "solution":

1) DMMs typically auto power-off after some time.  Sometimes you can disable it, but if you do your battery is going to die fast, probably within a couple of days.  The Mooshimeter is designed to run continuously for months.

2) It only provides communication in one direction.  You could stream data to the bluetooth device, but you couldn't control the DMM with it.

3) You would lose the ability to log data unless you left your phone/laptop within 10 feet of the DMM at all times.

4) You couldn't monitor voltage and current simultaneously.

5) You would lose the 20uV/mA burden voltage and jump up to the high burden voltage of your cheap DMM.

In other words, it would be a completely different, and significantly less capable device.  If ALL you wanted was a DMM that can stream data to a bluetooth device, then yes that would accomplish it, but if that's all you think the mooshimeter does then maybe you should re-read the description of it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:27:32 pm by suicidaleggroll »

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2014, 07:44:36 am »
- you don't need to connect to display pins, many (even cheap) millimeters would have optical output over some kind of opto-coupled serial -
So connect this serial signal to bluetooth. Done

It's nice that it can datalog and measure amplitude and phase of 2 signal, but I have other equipment to do that. These functions don't have to be wireless (for me)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:49:29 am by Galenbo »

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2014, 07:47:19 am »
If ALL you wanted was a DMM that can stream data to a bluetooth device, then yes that would accomplish it,
Yes that's all I want. Measuring ac and dc voltages upto 400V. Auto power off is fine for me.

but if that's all you think the mooshimeter does then maybe you should re-read the description of it.
No the one who thinks that's the only thing it is capable of, is an idiot.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:50:09 am by Galenbo »

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2014, 03:48:02 pm »
If ALL you wanted was a DMM that can stream data to a bluetooth device, then yes that would accomplish it,
Yes that's all I want. Measuring ac and dc voltages upto 400V. Auto power off is fine for me.

Then the reality is there's already products on the market for you.  You can go buy an Agilent DMM right now and do just that.  Their app is on play store.

What I feel is telling is I put on this forum development of a Android app specifically for this with graphing, histogram, statistics, logging etc.  There was a bunch of interest at first, but in the end I stopped bothering since no one actually had any interest in using it (maybe 2 people actually bothered downloading it.)  Whilst I may not have "marketed" the idea strongly, the simple DMM to phone/tablet idea doesn't seem to have any interest and I highly doubt you could make any money from it without building something really special.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2014, 02:18:50 am »

What I feel is telling is I put on this forum development of a Android app specifically for this with graphing, histogram, statistics, logging etc.  There was a bunch of interest at first, but in the end I stopped bothering since no one actually had any interest in using it (maybe 2 people actually bothered downloading it.)  Whilst I may not have "marketed" the idea strongly, the simple DMM to phone/tablet idea doesn't seem to have any interest and I highly doubt you could make any money from it without building something really special.

Hello Harv,
I was following and had some interest in your app and the general area of bench meter logging. Right now I only have an HP 3457a and have just received one of Steve Casagrande's GPIB adapters - yesterday! I have started by experimenting with my other GPIB device, an HP 6632b power supply because it is newer and would be a better platform to get working first. My goal right now is to get HP3457 to linux logging and 7th digit reading working over the wired GPIB. Android and bluetooth isn't my prefered target at the moment, sorry you are not feeling the forum love, maybe the other forum members have similar end goals.

Best wishes and hope you countinue

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 03:24:10 am »
sorry you are not feeling the forum love, maybe the other forum members have similar end goals.

For me there's absolutely nothing to feel bad about.  Just starting that development landed me a number of Android/bluetooth programming jobs, so despite it not really going anywhere it was a positive for me.

Offline EricVanWyk

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2014, 04:44:45 pm »
I can't see a current shunt, and if i do see a shunt, i don't see kelvin connections to it...
I agree with the voltage socket and the cutout comment above.
How do you turn the thing off?
What is the battery life like?
If the battery life is meant to be as good as they want it to be, then you'll need to change the fuse & sd card more often, should have made the SDcard accessible via the side, not remove the battery like above commenter.

Peter -

I wanted to let you know that we took your feedback and improved the accessibility of the SDcard.  It is now accessible by the side, as you suggested.

You now can pop it out with a credit card - Don't worry, it won't be charged - This allows us to keep the clearance distances necessary for safety.

http://moosh.im/2014/03/revf-hardware-testing/

- Eric

Offline OSaG

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2014, 04:37:04 pm »
I don't know why a German should lough about the name. It means cat-meter...

But, looks like a cool device, may i'll buy one :)

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2014, 06:23:30 pm »
May you will. Or it might mean "wife of Edmund Stoiber"-meter. Guess that'd be even more useless.

Offline eug

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2014, 03:22:45 am »
With regards to the name, yes it's odd and probably not very professional.. but naming a test equipment company after an unexpected occurrence or simply good luck doesn't make much sense anyway!

fluke
noun
1. an unlikely chance occurrence, especially a surprising piece of luck.
synonyms:   chance, coincidence, accident, a twist of fate; More

verb
verb: fluke; 3rd person present: flukes; past tense: fluked; past participle: fluked; gerund or present participle: fluking
1. achieve (something) by luck rather than skill.
Anyway, it looks like it's finally about to ship! I just put my order in yesterday. They say their first batch is enough to cover all their pre-orders.

I was after a basic setup to log battery charging currents. I first tried the Jaycar QM1576 Bluetooth multimeter with the Meterbox app. The Android app could show measurements, but the exporting function didn't work - I just ended up with a csv file that contained numbers 1-7. No data. The iOS app worked and logged properly, but hung after a few hours, losing all data.

I then exchanged it for the QM1571 wireless multimeter that talks to a Windows program. The software interface was pretty awful, but it did work. What the cardboard box didn't show though, was the size of the wireless receiver! It's half the size of my palm with a permanently-attached ~1.8m USB cable that didn't sit securely in my ThinkPad's USB port. What a mess - they should have just stuck with an optical interface, IMHO.

I ended up returning it too as it was a pretty messy solution with a poorly-designed app. If I didn't run it as admin, an unhandled exception error would pop up when changing the sampling rate. I can't just view a live reading without logging it. When I export the readings to a csv, after I specify the filename an error pops up (forgot what it was), then Excel opens up with the data loaded. I then have to save the file again.

The guys behind Mooshimeter look like they're more on-the-ball in terms of software design, and their regular updates inspire some confidence that they're actually going to produce something. The replies by their rep on various forums are definitely better than the Voltset rep, who didn't really inspire much confidence in me.

I don't have to log anything mains-related so safety isn't really a concern for me, but it looks like the did get properly certified anyway. I just hope they can deliver on the software side of things. Engineers aren't usually the best at UI design and implementation. :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:26:54 am by eug »

Offline seancsnm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2015, 12:33:23 am »
My meter just came in the mail today. And the first thing I found out is that although the software probably was compatible with my iPod Touch 4 back when the funding campaign was going on, it isn't anymore. The software requires iOS 8, which cannot be installed on the iPod 4. So right now, the device is a bit useless. I don't plan on upgrading my iPod, as I hardly ever use it, and while I have always appreciated Apple's hardware, I don't have the same opinion about other aspects of their products.

Bleh, it looks like I may have just not paid attention. https://moosh.im/2015/01/quick-note-about-ios7/#comment-5605 :palm:
Good news though is that iOS 7 will be supported eventually. For those who have that kind of support.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:44:37 am by seancsnm »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2015, 12:43:13 am »
My meter just came in the mail today. And the first thing I found out is that although the software probably was compatible with my iPod Touch 4 back when the funding campaign was going on, it isn't anymore. The software requires iOS 8, which cannot be installed on the iPod 4. So right now, the device is a bit useless. I don't plan on upgrading my iPod, as I hardly ever use it, and while I have always appreciated Apple's hardware, I don't have the same opinion about other aspects of their products.

Bleh, maybe there is a work-around.  :palm:

Have a look at the newest blog post HERE

It looks like he's got a IOS 7 compatible version in the works

I just checked the tracking and mine was delivered today. I'm working today so won't be able to play with it until tonight. Looking forward to it!

Offline seancsnm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2015, 12:46:07 am »
I edited my last post, as I saw the blog post just before you posted.

Offline MyCo

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2015, 07:38:02 pm »
Although you can compensate bad product names with good marketing, this product would get a lot of problems in Germany. I mean it is called "Pussy meter". I don't think any serious electronic shop would sell something with such a name. They would get kicked in the butt by the media. The specs don't really matter in that case.
And beside the bad reputation you'll get for this, you'll get serious problems with feminists  >:D

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2015, 09:47:19 am »
Although you can compensate bad product names with good marketing, this product would get a lot of problems in Germany. I mean it is called "Pussy meter". I don't think any serious electronic shop would sell something with such a name. They would get kicked in the butt by the media. The specs don't really matter in that case.
And beside the bad reputation you'll get for this, you'll get serious problems with feminists  >:D

Joking aside, its not going to be a problem. It's aimed at hobbyists so no one serious will consider it, and if they do they're serious enough to look at the specs not the name. Last time I checked sales didn't go down when HP changed to Agilent, changed to Keysight, changed to Super Compu Global Hyper Mega dot com. Also you can pronounce it in the German way meter ("Moo" like the "o" in motor).

Offline eug

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2015, 11:15:54 am »
It's aimed at hobbyists so no one serious will consider it, and if they do they're serious enough to look at the specs not the name.

Speaking of brand names, let's not forget what the word "Fluke" actually means. :)

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2015, 02:55:01 am »
Odd name aside, I finally got a chance to play with mine this evening and I'm pretty happy with it.

I just did a few simple tests and compared its readings to my Rigol DM3058 and my electronic load.

Cliffnotes - it doesn't do single digit or below mV or mA well.  Above about 10mV or 10mA and the error comes down quickly.

Measurements are below:
Code: [Select]
Fixed voltage source, no current
Rigol              Mooshimeter
0.253mV       0.4mV (only does .1mV precision)

3.0127V         3.0133V

Current feeding a little logger device I have
1.61892mA   2.4mA (only does .1mA precision)

Current using CC on my bench supply (supply set to 211mA)
210.721mA   211.4mA

Simultaneous voltage and current measurements using the bench supply and an electronic load (I used low current to try to keep the voltage drop in the leads as small as possible)
Load         Rigol              Mooshimeter
16.722V   16.7216V       16.7203V
49.0mA    49.653mA      50.4mA

Measuring a 1k resistor
1002.05R      1000.72R

You can sample and log at up to 8kHz, 1-64 point smoothing, and just turn the phone sideways to graph it.  Syncing the device with the phone was incredibly easy.  The only thing I didn't like in the UI was how you change modes between current, resistance, etc.  Other than that, the interface is very KISS and easy to use, and the device itself feels very solidly built, decent quality leads, nice case, extra fuse, etc.

I like the separation between the device and the display that it gives you.  No more tweaking your neck trying to see the LCD on the DMM attached to the circuit on one side of the bench while you adjust something on the other side of the bench.  Just put the display where you need it, and leave the DMM next to whatever it's measuring.

For quick and dirty measurements I'll probably still go for my Fluke, nothing beats picking up the device, twisting the knob to the right mode, poking the DUT, and getting an instant reading, versus doing all of the same PLUS pulling out your phone, unlocking it, finding the app, etc.  That said, I can certainly envision many scenarios in which I would prefer the Mooshimeter over either the handheld Fluke or the bench Rigol, so it's going to stay in the lab.

I didn't get a chance to test the logging capability yet, hopefully soon.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2015, 02:04:59 pm »
It's aimed at hobbyists so no one serious will consider it, and if they do they're serious enough to look at the specs not the name.

Speaking of brand names, let's not forget what the word "Fluke" actually means. :)

Flatworm? :P
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2015, 09:43:30 pm »
I see there still isn't any safety rating on this thing. I am interested but I would like to now more about its safety first as I will would want to use this on some pretty high energy equipment.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2015, 09:46:35 pm »
I see there still isn't any safety rating on this thing. I am interested but I would like to now more about its safety first as I will would want to use this on some pretty high energy equipment.

Well, it's wireless so at least you don't have to be near it if it goes bang!

If it helps, I've been impressed with the build quality of mine.  Though I haven't tested it on any high energy circuits yet.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2015, 10:00:18 pm »
My Mooshimeter has a CAT3 600V rating.
Here is a bit about their testing: https://moosh.im/2014/07/dielectriclessonslearned/

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2015, 10:07:33 pm »
My Mooshimeter has a CAT3 600V rating.
Here is a bit about their testing: https://moosh.im/2014/07/dielectriclessonslearned/

Oh, yep- it's true,mine too. I'm at work so don't have mine in front of me but IIRC the CAT rating is printed on the case of the product that shipped.  I believe they had to change the design so the SD card is not accessible without opening the meter to meet that CAT rating.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:09:19 pm by mtdoc »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2015, 12:51:42 am »
So it appears that they did only in house testing and didn't disclose the tests done. They only say that it passed all relevant tests. Who decided it was relevant or not and why aren't all the tests published if this only done in house?

Offline eug

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2015, 01:03:58 am »
So it appears that they did only in house testing and didn't disclose the tests done.

Hmm, they mentioned in another update that the testing was done at a local TUV testing facility.
https://moosh.im/2014/07/electricallycompliant/

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2015, 03:53:45 am »
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't have time to research their progress. I think I will ordering one or two.

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2015, 03:25:40 pm »
this device looks good  :-+

this DMM + android enabled TV screen !

Where’s the apk to download and see the screen?

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2015, 04:16:46 pm »
you mean this ?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mooshim.mooshimeter

i like the future expandability of this device, he said it is open errr source?

and the way he made the blog for this, its like a making of documentary, not many creators would share so much  :-+

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2015, 04:41:17 pm »
and the way he made the blog for this, its like a making of documentary, not many creators would share so much  :-+

You're right, I liked it.  They've been very up-front about every step of the process, from hairline fractures in the cases due to problems with the injection molding process, to firmware issues, etc.  So far they've been quick to respond, quick to identify and fix bugs, and very transparent about the whole process.

It's a pretty good example of how a crowdfunding campaign should work.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2015, 09:35:26 am »
Not to mention that the meter actually works as advertised. The Software is still a bit basic but open source, so I expect specialized applications and a PC API in the mid future. It shipped remarkably well and feels like a professional product. I'm very happy with mine.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2015, 10:53:52 am »
this is weird i cant find the app in my android store LOLz .... was any 1 able to get it?
Yes, it is at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mooshim.mooshimeter
It is incompatible with my older Android tablet, but no problems using it with my iOS devices (but obviously not with the Android app!).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:57:49 am by Kean »

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2015, 10:58:25 am »
It is incompatible with my older Android tablet, but no problems using it with my iOS devices.

It is incompatible with both old Android and iOS devices. It needs Bluetooth low energy and this is only present in newer devices.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2015, 10:02:19 pm »
Now that these have been out for a while, and perhaps used for extended datalogging, does anyone have any input on their performance?

This product could be useful for diagnosis/analysis of data in an automotive environment. I currently use my Fluke 287, but it samples min/max/avg at a max of 1 Hz. My Picoscope requires a laptop to be in the vehicle.

If this product meets its specs (even considering the low accuracy - a fair tradeoff for a high sample rate) and is not a toy, it could be quite useful.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2015, 01:44:51 am »
See my post on the previous page comparing it's accuracy to a Rigol 3058.

Cliff notes - double digit mV/mA and above it was fine, below that not so much.  I didn't get into the high speed acquisition or logging.  Build quality, usability, feel, etc. are all up to snuff.

It doesn't feel like a toy.  It feels like a solid piece of lab equipment with questionable low range accuracy but reasonable mid range and above, with a KISS app that's very much function over form.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2015, 09:17:01 am »
They are actively developing it as well. After the meter shipped they added a few features such as logging to sdcard or a python api and they don't seem to stop at that. I'm very happy with my Kickstarter investment.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2015, 09:24:54 am »
They are actively developing it as well. After the meter shipped they added a few features such as logging to sdcard or a python api and they don't seem to stop at that. I'm very happy with my Kickstarter investment.

When they shipped the meter it did not have the promised features.
It probably has all promised features now, but some more software development will make it much more usable.
At the current time you have to unscrew the box and remove the circuit board to get the logging data out. It would be much more useful to directly fetch them from the phone (The problem is that the slot to remove the SD card had to be closed due to safety standards).

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2015, 09:51:22 am »
I did some quick tests, and it seemed to be meeting their specs.  I was getting around 0.1% accuracy on DC voltage readings from 1mV to 100V.  Low voltage measurements (<1V) are best done via the Aux input.  I used a Keithley 230 programmable DC voltage source and compared readings against my Agilent 6.5 digit bench meter.

The software does need more work, and the UI could be prettier, but the iPhone and Android app source is available if people want to contribute.

Offline ScubaShan

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2015, 08:53:05 pm »
my Fluke 287, but it samples min/max/avg at a max of 1 Hz.

I love my mooshimeter, its my go to device for measuring power consumption now however the logging to SD maxes out at just above 1hz on the cards i've tried. I believe this is due to the MCU spending lots of time waiting around for the SD to respond. James goes into detail regarding this issue @ https://moosh.im/2015/03/new-firmware-update-release/#gmWZiwG

When the app is updated to save logs directly on your phone the rate will increase dramatically as its no longer having to wait for the SD.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2015, 03:56:54 am »
Anyone have more feedback on the user experience? I've noticed that two features already asked for include GPS position logging as well as a thermocouple mode.

Moseng

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2015, 07:16:20 am »
Cool
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:22:15 pm by Moseng »

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2015, 08:40:40 am »

The only meaning of fluke I've ever used in daily conversation is of an accidental advantage or stroke of luck.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2015, 01:59:13 pm »
NOTE: This message has been deleted by the forum moderator Simon for being against the forum rules and/or at the discretion of the moderator as being in the best interests of the forum community and the nature of the thread.
If you believe this to be in error, please contact the moderator involved.
An optional additional explanation is:

Uhhh?

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2015, 02:01:31 pm »
NOTE: This message has been deleted by the forum moderator Simon for being against the forum rules and/or at the discretion of the moderator as being in the best interests of the forum community and the nature of the thread.
If you believe this to be in error, please contact the moderator involved.
An optional additional explanation is:

Uhhh?

It was spam...or at least looked like spam

Offline NoItAint

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2015, 04:37:23 am »
This actually looks great  :-+

Seems like a nice little solid meter with future extra frills coming in the software.

I like the idea of being able to quickly connect to any size tablet for a big display if I want.

Taking out the memory card to place it in a PC to get the data log doesn't seem like it's too handy.  But then again, it's sealed in the case to safely from the elements collect a weeks worth of readings.  And there are just two screws to get to it.

I may jump on board.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2015, 06:50:13 am »

The only meaning of fluke I've ever used in daily conversation is of an accidental advantage or stroke of luck.

Back in the day,in my workplace we had bad experiences with one model of Fluke desk multimeter,& the
saying was "It's a Fluke if it works" ;D

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2015, 02:07:52 am »
I just got charged for the pre-order I placed at the beginning of May. I'm hoping that means the second production run is close to shipping!

Offline NoItAint

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2015, 05:22:16 pm »
Me Too!
I expect maybe 6 weeks?  :-+

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2015, 05:16:38 am »
An update on the blog notes that the components for the second manufacturing run have been delayed in shipment due to a random X-Ray inspection in the port of LA.

https://moosh.im/2015/09/shipment-pulled-for-x-ray-inspection/

Offline mmx_4

« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2015, 09:55:33 pm »
What's limits (Hz) for TrueRMS measurements ?

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline mmx_4

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2015, 10:06:39 pm »
mooshimeter/specs

"Better than 1.0% accuracy AC for harmonic content below 1kHz"

1kHz sin. waves or 1 kHz non-sin. signals / TrueRMS measurements ?

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2015, 10:15:21 pm »
You would probably need to ask them direct.
They have a support forum.

https://moosh.im/f/forum/mooshimeter-support/
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline mmx_4

« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2015, 10:28:51 pm »
In this topic  https://moosh.im/f/topic/calibrationverification-ac-far-out-of-spec/
we can see   SUMMARY CALIBRATION Report for Mooshimeter
Very nice results at DC Voltage and Current,  and bad for AC  Voltage / Current.
May be, 2nd gen will work better ?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:33:23 pm by mmx_4 »

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2015, 09:52:23 pm »
2nd Run Production Update Today

Looks like they had some problems with their subcontractors and their calibration test jig. Sounds like they'll be shipping shortly.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2015, 01:51:29 am »
First 50 orders for the 2nd manufacturing run finally shipped, so about 1.5 months later than expected. Not too bad, all delays considered.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2015, 04:04:14 am »
USPS attempted to deliver my Mooshimeter yesterday, but I had it sent to my work address and no one was there. A buddy of mine received his yesterday and reports that the build quality is excellent  :-+

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2015, 04:22:49 am »
USPS attempted to deliver my Mooshimeter yesterday, but I had it sent to my work address and no one was there. A buddy of mine received his yesterday and reports that the build quality is excellent  :-+
I agree that the build quality is great. On the other hand, there are so many bugs / connectivity issues with both Android and iOS that I could never recommend this meter to anyone except a potential developer for their project at this point. I've been trying to use the meter to do some basic data logging since I received it yesterday, and it's been nothing but a pain in the ass to get it to connect / stay connected / take readings correctly. For example, auto-ranging in ACV seem to be flat out broken in the iOS app.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:25:59 am by nidlaX »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2015, 04:36:33 am »
I've had no issues with connectivity and my experience has been that any bugs have been quickly addressed by the developer. It's incredibly easy to update the firmware.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2015, 04:39:56 am »
I've had no issues with connectivity and my experience has been that any bugs have been quickly addressed by the developer. It's incredibly easy to update the firmware.
Can you let us know your phone / tablet model, OS version, app version, and meter firmware version? I believe that the meter probably works well for some people, but I suspect that the range of compatible devices is narrower than advertised.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2015, 04:56:12 am »
Can you let us know your phone / tablet model, OS version, app version, and meter firmware version? I believe that the meter probably works well for some people, but I suspect that the range of compatible devices is narrower than advertised.

I have one of the first ones shipped from the initial manufacturing run. I'm currently using it on iPhone 5s with iOS  8.3   firmware build is 1437089929. 

I'm not sure if he's supporting iOS9 yet.  (Website says only iOS 7 and 8  ).  If there are issues with newer iOS version or with newer Android versions I'm sure they will evenentually be addressed.

Do you have a first or second manufacturing run?  If there is an issue with the second run I'm sure he will address it.

I believe he is a one person shop - but even so he has been pretty quick to address past issues as they have arisen.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2015, 05:17:27 am »

I have one of the first ones shipped from the initial manufacturing run. I'm currently using it on iPhone 5s with iOS  8.3   firmware build is 1437089929. 

I'm not sure if he's supporting iOS9 yet.  (Website says only iOS 7 and 8  ).  If there are issues with newer iOS version or with newer Android versions I'm sure they will evenentually be addressed.

Do you have a first or second manufacturing run?  If there is an issue with the second run I'm sure he will address it.

I believe he is a one person shop - but even so he has been pretty quick to address past issues as they have arisen.
Thanks for the info. I have a second run unit. My unit has great difficulty connecting to my phone running Android 4.4. My iPad on 8.1 had no problems connecting, but AC V auto was causing disconnects. Upgrading to iOS 9.1 didn't change anything.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2015, 06:25:42 am »
Thanks for the info. I have a second run unit. My unit has great difficulty connecting to my phone running Android 4.4. My iPad on 8.1 had no problems connecting, but AC V auto was causing disconnects. Upgrading to iOS 9.1 didn't change anything.

Out of curiosity I tried to connect to my iPad Mini which I hadn't done in some time. It has iOS 9.1.  It wouldn't connect until I updated to the newest version (1.05) of the iOS app.  Works fine with the updated app.  No issues with AC voltage.

As far as your issue with a second run meter - I just  looked on the Mooshimeter website and saw this post:
Hi Readers,

The second run Mooshimeters have started arriving with customers, and some common issues have been coming up.

iOS users: The version of the app that is presently available for download is unstable with the new run of the meter.  The updated app was submitted to the app store on Nov. 1 in the hopes that it would be approved before customers started receiving the new meters, but sometimes Apples approvals can take over a week to give approval.  The update should be out within a few days.  Sorry for the delay.
Android users: If you already had the Mooshimeter app installed, please update.  There are slight modifications to the second manufacturing run that the latest app accounts for.  You can update by searching “Mooshimeter” in the Google.
Finally, if you ordered spare fuses, don’t worry if they weren’t in the box with your Mooshimeter, they’re being mailed separately.

Thanks

~James

As I said. James is on the ball. :-+

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2015, 07:12:15 am »
As far as your issue with a second run meter - I just  looked on the Mooshimeter website and saw this post:
Yes, I hope the new version of the iOS app resolves the issues with ACV I've been having. On the other hand, the newest version of the Android app is the version I've been using and having trouble with.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2015, 04:38:11 am »
I am experiencing Bluetooth disconnection on AC V after about 3 seconds (iPhone 5S, iOS 9.1). DC is fine.

If I manually turn the sample rate down to 125Hz, it will remain connected for much longer in AC mode (the voltage is much lower than expected, due to the low sample rate?).

The app has also crashed a couple of times in about 10 minutes of use.

Hoping the update addresses this issue. I am running v1.06 of the app.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:56:49 am by dadler »

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2015, 05:12:06 am »
Crash log, if it helps (attached). If you have the dSYM you can resymbolicate it.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2015, 06:17:59 am »
The mooshimeter updated its firmware to version 1446183524 (UNIX timestamp for Oct 30th).

This has not helped the connectivity issues on AC at all.

I am testing with V and common connected to US 120v 60Hz mains, and the other jacks left open.

I have noticed that if I leave channel 1 on temperature, and channel 2 in AC voltage (auto, 4000Hz/256 smpl)  the meter can stay connected for up to several minutes before disconnecting. After sitting connected for a couple of minutes, if I switch modes on channel 1 from temperature to 'Current DC' by tapping the 'INT' , the meter disconnects in 3-10 seconds with 100% reproducibility.

The hardware is nice, but the firmware/software on this device leaves quite a bit to be desired...   :-DMM

Edit: I was able to remain connected for over 30 minutes in channel 2 diode test mode, by leaving channel 1 set to 'Current DC'. I then toggled channel 1 to 'current AC' mode and was disconnected within a few seconds. This is another 100% reproducible method of achieving BT disconnection on my hardware/software configuration (iPhone 5S, iOS 9.1, v1.06 app).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:15:51 am by dadler »

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2015, 07:08:58 am »
Hmm - does the diode test mode work sensibly for anyone?

Direct short, I measure 176 uA diode test current. If I try to test a 1n4148, the test current drops to 160 nA and I read 177 mV on the mooshimeter.

If I test the Vbe of a 2N3904, I get 422mV @ 136 nA.

Is the current supposed to be *this* low?

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2015, 07:42:49 am »
I am experiencing Bluetooth disconnection on AC V after about 3 seconds (iPhone 5S, iOS 9.1). DC is fine.

If I manually turn the sample rate down to 125Hz, it will remain connected for much longer in AC mode (the voltage is much lower than expected, due to the low sample rate?).

This is supposed to be a known issue with that version of the app. From posts on the support forum, the latest app has not fixed iOS stability problems. The readings may also be slightly incorrect...

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2015, 08:46:22 am »
I tried the Mooshimeter on a Nexus 7 2013 (Android 5.1), using the latest app from the Google Play store.

The connection experience is much, much better compared to iOS, but after about 10 minutes it did disconnect. I could not reconnect without force-killing and restarting the mooshimeter application on my device. I believe this was a different sort of disconnection, in that the app data started going bizarre-o.

I had the meter connected to 120V 60 Hz mains across V/C jacks. With "current DC" selected on channel 1, I toggled between "Voltage AC" and "Voltage DC" on channel 2 (which changed the sample rate), and the data started freaking out--all over the place, finally reporting +/- 900V DC. Eventually the app disconnected from the meter and I couldn't reconnect. Haven't been able to reproduce, but not confidence inspiring.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2015, 08:47:03 am »

This is supposed to be a known issue with that version of the app. From posts on the support forum, the latest app has not fixed iOS stability problems. The readings may also be slightly incorrect...

Ah, didn't even know there was a support forum! Thanks.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2015, 07:08:47 am »
I tested the new app / firmware combo for iOS and the ACV disconnect problem seems to be fixed!

In addition, I seem to have discovered a remedy for my own Android 4.4.2 connection woes: adding a 10 second sleep in between the initial Bluetooth connection and the beginning of data reading/writing seems to have fixed my problem with the disconnects! That's the beauty of open source: if you can't wait, just fix it yourself.  :-DMM

On a side note: it sucks that Android's BLE implementation in 4.3/4.4 is such shit. In fact, I wouldn't even blame James if he chose to drop official support for older Android OSes entirely.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2015, 04:21:20 am »
I updated and my disconnect issue on AC volts appears to be fixed as well.

When I had my meter opened (to actuate the reset button), I noticed that the PCB is significantly warped at the battery end. The battery clips were soldered too high from the surface of the pcb, putting constant tension on the board. It's not as obvious when the meter is closed, but when open the pcb curves up about a millimeter.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2015, 12:25:59 pm »
I updated and my disconnect issue on AC volts appears to be fixed as well.

When I had my meter opened (to actuate the reset button), I noticed that the PCB is significantly warped at the battery end. The battery clips were soldered too high from the surface of the pcb, putting constant tension on the board. It's not as obvious when the meter is closed, but when open the pcb curves up about a millimeter.
Yes, I've noticed the clearance for the battery clips isn't the best, but tolerable perhaps.

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2016, 06:02:29 am »
Anyone who has gotten one of this -- I'm curious what is the ADC & voltage reference used  ? Can't find it anywhere. Shouldn't be more difficult than peeking through the bottom of the transparent case.
Thanks!

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2016, 07:03:14 am »
Anyone who has gotten one of this -- I'm curious what is the ADC & voltage reference used  ? Can't find it anywhere. Shouldn't be more difficult than peeking through the bottom of the transparent case.
Thanks!

ADC appears to be an ADS1292 from TI.

I'm not sure about the voltage reference. There's a few candidate chips but I can't make out markings.

Have you tried posting the question on the support forum? James is pretty responsive.

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2016, 09:18:13 am »
ADC appears to be an ADS1292 from TI.
I'm not sure about the voltage reference. There's a few candidate chips but I can't make out markings.
Have you tried posting the question on the support forum? James is pretty responsive.
Thanks! Google-ing for Mooshimieter and ADS1292 lead me to this teardown : http://martin.engineer/wp/?p=375
ADC is indeed the ADS1292. Bluetooth module is  CC2540.
The voltage reference is built into the ADS1292. It's +-0.5% + 45ppm/C.
It has 19 noise-free bits at 125SPS which actually is 40SPS since it takes at least 3 cycles for data to fully settle.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2016, 06:30:48 pm »
Old topic but worthy of a bump since I just saw Electroboom use one of these.

Looks pretty decent - anyone used one?

Needs a teardown, Dave.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2016, 07:15:38 pm »
Yes, I have one.
It is particularly useful for logging current and voltage simultaneously.
You can log to your phone or it is able to log to its own micro SD card if you supply one.
Slight downside is that a small amount of the plastic case needs to be removed to use the micro SD card slot and this invalidates the CAT rating.
I am only using it for ELV so the CAT rating is not important to me for this device.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2016, 10:45:36 pm »
Yes, I have one.
It is particularly useful for logging current and voltage simultaneously.
You can log to your phone or it is able to log to its own micro SD card if you supply one.
Slight downside is that a small amount of the plastic case needs to be removed to use the micro SD card slot and this invalidates the CAT rating.
I am only using it for ELV so the CAT rating is not important to me for this device.
Ah, that's why they don't pre-cut the slots by default. You can also take apart the case to use the slot, but it is a big hassle.

The firmware updates over the past year have made it a lot more usable, but I hope that connection stability and the user interface can be further improved.

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2016, 07:05:54 pm »
I think the new firmware beta has a download for logging. So no need to open mosh nor deflower it.

I just wish there was a way to calibrate it.

Offline coolfrost6

« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2016, 08:10:50 am »
I'v got one about summer this year, and beside some random software bugs that seems to have been ironed out with the last firmware update it's been super.

i needed it for doing some fairly long voltage and current measurements where i needed resolution down to at least 0.1 mA/mV and this fit the bill perfectly.
My only gripe might be that the battery properly only last about 2 months but i think its because we access the bluetooth to much.
It could be cool is Dave would do a review of one.

If there is interest i might do a short video on it going through some of the features.

The following users thanked this post: mos6502

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2017, 04:44:25 pm »
If there is interest i might do a short video on it going through some of the features.

That would be awesome. I've been looking at the Mooshimeter for quite a while. The problem with devices like this is, they're only as good as the software. How reliable is the software? How reliable is the bluetooth connection? Do you get disconnects from time to time?
for(;;);

Offline danshtr

• Contributor
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2017, 07:21:59 pm »
Running on Samsung S7. Very stable.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2017, 07:55:21 pm »
^ Same here. Same phone, very stable.

Offline tux_on_tour

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2017, 11:17:24 pm »
Stable on android devices.
Battery problems solved with heat-shrink on the battery holder - Battery holder has sharp edges out of the box.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2017, 08:47:37 am »
Any recommandations where to buy from in the EU? I see two distributors on their page, Elektor and Robotshop, any experience with either one?

Other than that are there multiple versions (revisions) or anything else to know before ordering?

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2017, 09:39:23 am »
Any recommandations where to buy from in the EU? I see two distributors on their page, Elektor and Robotshop, any experience with either one?

Other than that are there multiple versions (revisions) or anything else to know before ordering?

I bought mine from RobotShop, all was fine and fast to Greece.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2017, 11:07:21 am »
Thanks, I was about to order but it seems that you can't do energy directly - and by directly I mean with the smartphone connected all the time if needed or even from a log. I know you can get it from the log with a small script or in a spreadsheet but I wanted something direct: plug it, let it run for a few hours, read the number.
There's a discussion at https://moosh.im/f/topic/measuring-watt-hours/ but they focus on B/W limits for spiky values, this isn't what I'm looking for, one measurement per second (or even 10s) should be enough.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2017, 10:31:08 am »
Ok, I gave up waiting for something better and ordered one (elektor.de had a "sale", actually is still up even if it says up to 30th of October, not a fantastic price at 120euro+5 shipping but probably the best this side of the pond). Engineering/development seems to be almost dead but unless and until something better is available I'll try to use what is (I just hope it still works with the next update on my phone...).

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2020, 04:54:15 am »
This was the original mooshimeter thread I think so I'ma gonna necro-post here.

Is this thing dead? todt? mort, muerte, gone from this mortal coil or is it just "restin"

I was cruising the internets and noticed the home website is still up, but vendors like amazon, sparkfun, robotshop, rct. show it discontinue-ded.
home site:https://moosh.im/blog/

Offline Mr Evil

• Regular Contributor
    • mrevil.asvachin.com
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2020, 10:05:08 pm »
Just the other day I was searching to see if there was such a thing as a multichannel multimeter and I found the Mooshimeter. I would have bought one or two, but the lack of any for sale certainly makes it look dead.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2020, 03:00:30 am »
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2020, 10:24:25 pm »
Surprised they stopped selling it, you'd think its easy cash flow to let the distributors deal with sales?
I'm not even aware of any decent clones that exist.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2020, 12:53:27 am »
I would have to guess that for hobbyists, smart plugs with energy monitoring and generic DC power meter modules are a cheaper way to get the feature most multimeters don't have - power measurement. The Mooshimeter still doesn't have proper support for an external shunt, greatly limiting its usability.

In the end, what we need is an open source Bluetooth multimeter.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2020, 01:05:01 pm »
Looks like Sigrok supports it now.
https://sigrok.org/wiki/Mooshim_Engineering_Mooshimeter

Yes, actually pretty useful, I managed to compile it on a Raspi 4. The command line switches were a bit hard to grasp but in the end it works; I couldn't get it to output more than 2 digits after the dot for amps.

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2020, 09:09:03 pm »
He just put an update on his blog. Seems it might come back to life.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, artag, Kean

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf