Author Topic: PCBite - The professional and affordable PCB holder  (Read 33656 times)

Offline ehelljoTopic starter

• Contributor
PCBite - The professional and affordable PCB holder
« on: July 07, 2016, 07:19:00 pm »
Hi all Johan from Sweden here!

Have you seen our PCB holders PCBite?
If not please check out our successful campaign with only a few days remaining.

If you have any comments or feedback please respond here or in the comments field on the campaign page.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pcbite/reft/13754495/ee

Please hep suppurt us by sharing the campaign or get one PCBite kit of your own we ships worldwide!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:21:24 pm by ehelljo »

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
Re: PCBite - The professional and affordable PCB holder
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:25:07 pm »
The advantage (to me) of a PCB holder is the ability to hold the board at different heights/angles while I work on it.  I wouldn't find much use in a holder that can only hold it horizontally at a fixed height, might as well just set it on the ESD mat instead.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:42:57 pm »
The benefits we found in regards to only soldering is that it holds the PCB steady so it don't wobble around the workbench if the PCB has components on both sides or when working with SMD soldering or inspection under the microscope.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 07:53:33 pm »
Slick effort, but I would say this is a tough nut to crack. I have designed and machined a number of holders for my work since I have not found a commercial solution that I like. It did not take long to realize just how many scenarios I need to cover.

a few considerations for my work:
Easy flipping without have to re-arrange
Easy rotation
no magnets - my mag holders attract all the components lying around the PCB.
low-profile so that I can work under a microscope without the micro scope being so high that I have to stand up.
lift in/out without moving anything.
Optionally be tall enough to do double sided PCB's with tall parts (killing the low profile microscope requirement in the process)
Don't have anything in the way of hands, probes, wires.

Your product hits some of those but the red ones would keep me from buying. Take that as constructive criticism from a single professional.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 08:34:58 pm »
Thanks rx8pilot, i completely agree that its hard to find/make something that work for all situations and people.

I would maybe paint your points a bit different and add a few more greens ones but i really appreciate your feedback one professional to another.

The height of the PCB is reduced to 55mm for improved ergonomics during those long soldering sessions where you would need to rest your palm, hope this also would keep you sitting down :-)

One feature that we use a lot now when we have it is to be able to transport complete interconnected test setups with multiple PCBs, wires test probes etc when running between the lab  and the software guys for verification using the base plate.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 01:36:11 am »
Doesn't look like these are height adjustable like the Hakko Omnivise.  To me, it looks like it sits too tall to be comfortable to solder on.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 05:48:27 am »
Hi GreyWoolfe your right there is no height adjustment but the Omnivises lowest setting is 72,5mm. With PCBIte the PCB is held 55mm above your workbench. We reduced it to 55 from 65 mm to increase ergonomics.

Offline A.Huggy

• Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 12:10:39 pm »
Forgive me if this horse has been beat to death around here, but does anyone actually use a PCB holder often?  I rarely find myself wanting anything to hold down the board.  Granted, most of my projects are repairs, and therefor the boards tend to be heavier because they are already populated, but even the small assembly projects I do get the old mousepad treatment.  Every time I use a board holder or vise, I spend more time fiddling with it than I would just setting the board down on a soft mousepad and dealing with any difficulties.

My lack of desk/bench space probably contributes, and this solution seems to address that problem.  These little poles look like they could be stashed anywhere.  But $60?  That's a bit steep just for some pieces of aluminum bar stock that were put in a lathe.  Also, I would not have made the clamp spring loaded, I feel like that would either be too strong in a lot of situations, and risk damaging a board, or it would not be strong enough.  If that collar was threaded instead of spring loaded, and there was a rubber washer (or two) on the top of it, I would be much more interested.  This would allow you to tune the clamping force for more delicate applications, and the rubber washer would reduce the clamping force necessary to get the job done.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 02:05:20 pm »
If that collar was threaded instead of spring loaded, and there was a rubber washer (or two) on the top of it, I would be much more interested.  This would allow you to tune the clamping force for more delicate applications, and the rubber washer would reduce the clamping force necessary to get the job done.
It should be also possible to use a spring loaded system, but with the far end of the spring attached on a screw accessible e.g. from the bottom, so to regulate the spring tension.
And definitely covering the biting size of the tool with rubber washers would be a good (and relatively cheap) addition to make.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 05:33:55 pm »
  But $60?  That's a bit steep just for some pieces of aluminum bar stock that were put in a lathe. 

While I agree with some of what you say - $60 for these is a bargain. Make three on your own - assuming you already have a lathe, skills, and other tools to make them. All you need to do is sort out a design, work through prototypes, buy 100x more material than you need because it is the minimum, have the pieces plated, make the various tweaks and revisions. Find a source for the springs and sort out the right details. You will spend a LOT more than $60 in the process. I have been in the business of designing and machining special low-volume parts for a long time - almost all of my customers have commented 'it's just a little piece of aluminum'. My response is usually to remind them that it is just the right little piece of aluminum that solves a problem.

I have struggled to find a commercial or custom PCB holding solution for a long time and have not been able to find a great solution. Like you said, it's easy to end up fiddling with the system more than working on the PCB. With that said, I am primarily engaged in low-volume PCB production and have settled in on a few hacked solutions for the various stages of the process. I would like to have these for test and validation testing where I have a ton of probes on a PCB and it is generally sitting still. Also, during development where a number of parts are likely to be swapped or bodge wires added, they could be helpful too.

For only $60, I may pick up a set or 2 and add them to my kit. Would love to see some magnetic probe holders too.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 06:58:40 pm »
$60 for these is a bargain. Make three on your own - assuming you already have a lathe, skills, and other tools to make them.
$60 is about what each leg of a Hakko Omnivise runs.
http://www.tequipment.net/HakkoC1390C.html

My personal preference would be for the stand to be more easily reversible. When I'm working on PCBs, I'm usually switching sides frequently and these types of holders aren't very helpful. If the jaws of each leg were closer to the middle rather than one end, it would make a "two-ended table" that you could quickly flip over.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:01:35 pm by helius »

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 07:09:53 pm »
One thought though is the aluminum.. much harder than the pcb coat + have to worry about shorting traces/parts as well. And the mounting face edges should have a small fillet or something the break the edge.

I think maybe should have opted for antistatic or static dissipative plastic or heavy coating for the mounting faces. The Hakko Omnivise mentioned about has rubber on the mounting faces.

Offline A.Huggy

• Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 07:49:08 pm »

$60 for these is a bargain. Make three on your own - assuming you already have a lathe, skills, and other tools to make them. All you need to do is sort out a design, work through prototypes, buy 100x more material than you need because it is the minimum, have the pieces plated, make the various tweaks and revisions. Find a source for the springs and sort out the right details. You will spend a LOT more than $60 in the process.

You're right, I've done the math now. The low volume makes it really difficult to get the price down.  It's probably $150 for the raw materials if I wanted to make 10 of them (sourcing from McMaster).  Then you will have to pay a fab shop a couple hundred bucks for the machine work.  The price is reasonable, but I think you could do much better with $60.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 08:53:53 pm »
One thought though is the aluminum.. much harder than the pcb coat + have to worry about shorting traces/parts as well. And the mounting face edges should have a small fillet or something the break the edge.

I think maybe should have opted for antistatic or static dissipative plastic or heavy coating for the mounting faces. The Hakko Omnivise mentioned about has rubber on the mounting faces.

Maybe delrin which I think can be had in dissapative. Super easy and clean to machine and rather tough.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 12:11:14 am »
It also laser cuts awesomely. Didn't know of dissipative variety - "Delrin SD".  One thing that may not be good for this app though is the low friction, but maybe doesn't matter depending on how well the magnets keep things in place

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 08:54:01 am »
If that collar was threaded instead of spring loaded, and there was a rubber washer (or two) on the top of it, I would be much more interested.  This would allow you to tune the clamping force for more delicate applications, and the rubber washer would reduce the clamping force necessary to get the job done.
It should be also possible to use a spring loaded system, but with the far end of the spring attached on a screw accessible e.g. from the bottom, so to regulate the spring tension.
And definitely covering the biting size of the tool with rubber washers would be a good (and relatively cheap) addition to make.

We had a stretch goal where we would add insulating washers to the PCBites and that goal is reached, so yes we have included insulating "rubber" washers with each PCBite kit. These are placed on both top and bottom side of the jaw so that the board is protected.

You can watch a short video of the washers here:
https://youtu.be/4aqyf3P_Y1c

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 08:59:15 am »
Would love to see some magnetic probe holders too.
Patience rx8pilot, patience...  :-X

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 09:55:17 am »
Maybe delrin which I think can be had in dissapative. Super easy and clean to machine and rather tough.

We considered using Delrin SD but it was way more expensive than aluminium and it was not a good combination with the soldering iron and hot air gun when used in the lab.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 10:01:09 am »
Watch PCbite in todays mailbag segment:
https://youtu.be/0ZWSOx-T6lg?t=1934

Updates made to the PCBite kit compared with the early sample Dave tested in this mailbag segment includes but are not limited to:

We include insulating washers so that you can power up your creations with even more comfort. These are placed on both top and bottom side of the jaw so that the board is protected.

Stronger neodymium magnet, for better experience when using an ESD mat to cover the base plate. There is a PTFE protection cap on the bottom to sustain low friction and protect the surface of the base plate.

Decreased height of the PCBites to improve ergonomics during long soldering sessions where you would rest hands on your bench for added support. Height is reduced with 10mm (0.4") while still retaining a wide jaw and perfect grip. The PCB is held 55mm (2.16") above your workbench.

Mirror polish on one side and matte(B2) polish on the other side of the base plate, yes we just decided :-)

And regarding the price, the price on Indiegogo now include worldwide shipping and all of the above updates.

Offline jolshefsky

• Regular Contributor
    • Jason DoesItAll
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 12:13:16 pm »
In thinking about the ways I work with PCBs, and none of them are solved by this:
  • Assembling thru-hole needs the board to be flipped often. An improved method would hold the components in place when upside-down so I can solder them—in essence, a flat mat works best here.
  • Assembling SMD (for reflow or hand soldering) needs a stable mount for the board, and some kind of wrist-rest at the right height so I can move my fingertips precisely. Since I use tweezers to manipulate the components, I need to be able to rotate the board since I can't readily rotate the components.
  • Testing a board needs the board to be held at odd angles for access to both sides. Some kind of adjustable probe guides would help keep them attached to the right test points.
  • Repairing a board needs a more rigid support at odd angles for component removal and replacement.

Unfortunately I don't have a reason to hold a few cm parallel above a surface.
May your deeds return to you tenfold.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 12:20:27 pm »
The mirror polished base I think is a smart touch, as you can see the board underneath as well while working on the other side. I always wanted to get those MARTIN and HAKKO also make similar products and I always wanted to get some, but theirs prices are in  3 digit numbers (and the first number is not '1') for a set of 4.

Good job!

The following users thanked this post: ehelljo

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 11:44:51 pm »
No doubt that this is a very helpful tool, have already ordered one  :-+

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 10:58:23 pm »
I ordered two. They arrived some days ago.
A really useful pcb holder.  :-+

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 11:00:48 pm »
i really like the concept, but the price seems a bit high for the number you get.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 09:19:02 am »
Thanks for all positive feedback and photos sent to us of your usage of PCBite on your projects. Please keep sending us your feedback!

From next week PCBite will be a stock item and shipped out within 1-2 work days.

Special thanks to "Lucky Resistor" for the nice blog post.
https://luckyresistor.me/2016/09/16/pcbite-arrived/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf