Author Topic: Preparing EEZ H24005 for crowdfunding  (Read 82205 times)

Offline prasimixTopic starter

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Preparing EEZ H24005 for crowdfunding
« on: December 09, 2016, 11:28:56 am »
I'm opening this new topic to discuss crowdfunding related things connected to the open source project that is active for some time here and that is shaped to the great extend by valuable comments and ideas from many members of this forum. I'd like to thanks to all of them once again.

The project is "positioned" to bridge the gap between the DIY and professional worlds, and have a great potential to disappear in that gap or become an example how to combine the best practice from both worlds :).

The campaign will be conducted on the CrowdSupply and I'd like to hear your opinions about pledge levels. First please note that I'm not going to offer a completed solution. The reason for that is CE/FCC certification that is very costly and for 100 units that is campaign goal it could make a whole calculation completely unattractive.
Also please note the campaign is conceived as group buy to achieve few goals:
  • Manufacture assembled modules (combined they have almost 800 items and that is far too much for many DIYers/makers despite the fact that DIY-friendly SMD packages are solely used)
  • Manufacture compact metal enclosure to mount safely all parts and
  • Decrease the cost per unit
Again, this is a group buy, not a new product production kick start, because it's not a profit driven (I have another source of money for living). Therefore prices of all pledges will be set to cover without loss the cost of manufacturing, transportation cost, crowdfunding platform (12%) and payment gateway fees (2.9%).
I was thinking about the following pledge levels (the final number and contents will be set in accordance with your wishes):
  • Set of bare PCBs only (4 of them, 2 layer)
  • As above + metal enclosure (with other metal parts such as TFT display support, AC/DC modules support, channel's heatsinks)
  • Set of assembled PCBs only
  • As above + metal enclosure set + wire harness
  • As above + TFT display + AC/DC modules (2 of them)
  • As above + Arduino Due
The latest one include all what is needed to assembly a fully functional unit that can be ready to run after firmware is uploaded. In essence you'll need a screwdriver for that operation and PC with Arduino IDE for uploading. Of course, you also need multimeter to calibrate it using built-in calibration wizard.

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.

Offline Tazz

• Contributor
Re: Preparing EEZ H24005 for crowdfunding
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 12:41:14 pm »
Hello Prasimix,
For the fun and my solely personal view of the spirit electronic DIY, I will pledge for the level 2.
My ideal level would be a 2b level which include wire harness and all the most costly components that could benefit from a group buy.

anyway  :-+ :clap:

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 01:56:39 pm »
Thanks Tazz, point taken. "2B" makes sense: Bare PCBs + enclosure set (or lets call it all mechanical parts) + wire harness

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 03:03:41 pm »
May I know the approximate cost for each level ?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 10:16:24 am »
May I know the approximate cost for each level ?

I still don't have a complete calculation, but you can get some idea if you spent some time studying BOM that is published here.

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 01:48:17 pm »
do you have a simulation of the noise density of the device ?
Any hope to get several assembled units ?
i would be interested in such a product if the expected noise level would be very low.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 04:53:14 pm »
The crowdfunding should start any day now, and I decided to reduce number of pledge levels to four to simplify logistics:

Level A (PCBs)
Set of four bare PCBs that has to be populated using convenient SMT components for hand soldering.

Level B (Mechanical parts)
2U height metal enclosure predrilled and painted, nuts&bolts, wire harness and electromechanical parts (AC inlet, cooling fan, binding posts, etc.) required to mount and interconnect all modules inside the enclosure.

Level C (Core modules)
Fully assembled and tested set of four modules that represents the core of the EEZ H24005:
  • 1 x AUX PS module,
  • 2 x Power board, and
  • 1 x Arduino shield (carry Arduino Due or compatible board)
Level D (Almost completed)
Include all from Level B and Level C and few items to make fully functional unit, or when listed all together that is:
  • enclosure,
  • nuts&bolts,
  • wire harness and electromechanical parts,
  • fully assembled and tested core modules,
  • 3.2" color touch-screen display,
  • Arduino Due board and
  • 2 x AC/DC modules (115/230VAC) with power cable.
All other combinations we can manage individually if this group buy succeed.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 05:09:12 pm »
do you have a simulation of the noise density of the device ?
Any hope to get several assembled units ?
i would be interested in such a product if the expected noise level would be very low.

Don't have any simulation but measured it with different loads and currents. In general it's about 10-20 mVpp, 250-500 uVavg, 1-1.5 mVrms @ 20 MHz without additional Cout and measured without differential probing. Instead of adding huge output capacitor (e.g. 100uF and more) it has 10-22uF on the output and for application where lower noise is needed you can connect that capacitor on the output terminals. I think that is still better then have huge capacitor connected permanently regardless of the built-in down programmer circuit that speed up its discharge. Another possibility (another revision) is to add MCU controlled switch for selecting between "high Cout/slow" and "low Cout/fast" output as you can find is some professional PSUs.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Full teardown picture...
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 12:48:08 pm »
The CrowdSupply team spent some time to make a full teardown of the PSU :clap:. That is a picture of what will be included into Complete kit pledge level:

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Kean, alexanderbrevig, timgiles, krho

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 06:06:52 pm »
Great to see the project coming together as a successful (I am sure) crowd funded project.

I take it there will be a fairly long timeframe on how long the crowdfunding project is open for? a month?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 06:11:28 pm »
We are planning not longer then 45 days, but if accidentally everything is happened faster we could also notify manufacturers earlier that delivery date can be also earlier then what will be set in campaign.

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 06:42:29 pm »
Not being aware of this plan/crown idea before but it looks like a decent thing! Keep it going and count me (nearly) in.

Offline kolesar007

• Contributor
    • Products and solutions for the development of electronics
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 08:31:59 pm »
Really nice teardown :).
I'm interesting only for wire harness, because I have almost all material, enclosure and PCBs. But till now I don't have time to complete assembled all the parts. So wire harness will spare me some time :).

BR
Sandi

• Supporter
    • EEZ
EEZ H24005 campaign is now live
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 08:32:35 pm »
Dear all, please note that campaign is now live and I'd like to thanks once again to all good people from this forum who contribute in various way to this project. Here is the campaign link.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 08:38:35 pm »
Really nice teardown :).
I'm interesting only for wire harness, because I have almost all material, enclosure and PCBs. But till now I don't have time to complete assembled all the parts. So wire harness will spare me some time :).

BR
Sandi

Thanks, I'll take a note about that. And all others who have some other combinations/demands in their mind that are not covered with announced pledge levels please post them here as a reminder for us, and we'll contact you if campaign succeed.

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 02:29:30 pm »
Whishing you all the best with crowdfunding of this great project! You deserve the recognition by a well funded project! Great job so far.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 02:17:02 pm »
I've backed since it'd be handy to have a power supply that goes over 30v, even though I've 8 channels worth of very nice Agilent supplies waiting for me to get around to fix them.

I would like a few more physical controls, an output on/off button for each channel would be really handy, as would a rotary encoded for values, to be more tactile than just swiping a touch screen.

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 03:16:14 pm »
Hi all, I agree with Laptop006 here. A knob to change values is more user-friendly. If you wanted to you could reach for the knob change value whilst looking somewhere else (board, equipment). Also a physical knob channel on/off is more intuitive. I guess one would be able to implement this by hacking the case and sensing those buttons by the Arduino right?

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 03:34:10 pm »
Hi,

Am I right in thinking everything is being shipped from US/Canada? So EU backers will likely get hit by import taxes? Its not an issue, but I just wanted to check.

Also, are the heatsinks for the modules included with the Enclosure and Assemblies option?

Thanks Timothy

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 04:12:36 pm »
First of all, I want to thanks all of you who make it possible that in a less then a two days we are almost on the half way to the target.

This PSU started to look "suspicious" to many from the moment when touch-screen is introduced :). No one can believe that it could be usable and real/practical substitution for the good old knobs. That's fine. Finally not a single manufacturer who is dominate in this sector didn't offer it (yet). That must be a valid reason for that, right? I'd like to believe that the main reason is still high cost (and especially cost of developing workable/usable GUI) and not usability issue.

Anyway, we have enough time to add encoder (but one not up to four as someone already suggested :phew:). The main challenge is not firmware development but finding a place on the front panel (and Arduino Shield board) that everything can be housed in presented enclosure. Situation with OE switches is much worser if we want to keep this form factor and internal wiring with power relays for coupling in series and parallel. But, thanks to EEZ Studio, we can easily produce another GUI layout with dedicated and clearly displayed OE buttons. What we are really missing (and this group buy could change that) is other people experience with real device, not something that is result of "thought experiment", "wishful thinking" or analogy with other/existing UIs. Please also understand that I do not want to underestimate many real life stories where some of them that are related to mission critical operations. Some people already expressed their concern about possible mistake, or inability to react in as in case of simple knob or switch. I think that 13 different type of already built-in protections could assist one if something like that eventually is happen.

One could also vote now for different enclosure, perhaps vertical instead of horizontal one. I that case we could rearrange everything to make more space for OE switches. But I'm not sure is that completely fair and in line with what is presented in campaign. We should in that case get approval for every single backer for such modification (redesign of Arduino PCB is not an issue here).

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 04:21:21 pm »
Hi,

Am I right in thinking everything is being shipped from US/Canada? So EU backers will likely get hit by import taxes? Its not an issue, but I just wanted to check.

You're right, same with the rest of the world. This is a part of the game. Even if we could organize something else for EU, you should pay 25% Croatian VAT if you cannot provide valid EU company VAT No.

Also, are the heatsinks for the modules included with the Enclosure and Assemblies option?

Thanks Timothy

Yes, as shown on the picture here. It also include AC/DC and TFT display mounting rails and will be sourced from the Varisom, PT.

If you are not going to pledge for Enclosure and Assemblies, but wants Core modules please let me know and we'll manage just heatsinks separately for you.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 04:34:43 pm »
What we are really missing (and this group buy could change that) is other people experience with real device...
Oops, this is not completely true, I got feedback from first guy who successfully assembled unit (from experimental group buy organized few months ago) ;). Here is what he said.

Offline Romain

• Regular Contributor
  • HW & SW consultant
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 08:01:34 pm »
Hi, it's an amazing job you did there! Good luck with the crowd supply, I'll probably join as well :)
For the like of me, I can't find the review Dave made of your power supply. I think it was in a mailbag, but I couldn't find the link anywhere.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 08:05:16 pm »
Thanks for good wishes. I didn't sent it to Dave so it shouldn't be in the Mail bag ;)

Offline Romain

• Regular Contributor
  • HW & SW consultant
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 08:08:05 pm »
Woops, sorry about that. I was convinced I saw it somewhere though.  :-//
Then I guess the question is: when do you send a unit to Dave for teardown?  :-/O ;D

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 08:09:21 pm »
First need few more to build ;) All three are currently busy

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 09:35:52 pm »
a stupid question here.
Does the spacing between banana plugs match the standart spacing of banana to BNC adapters ?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 09:49:25 pm »
Yes, 0.75" or 19.05 mm

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 09:57:06 pm »
how long would it take to assemble the full beast ?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 09:59:01 pm »
If you are get Complete Kit it shouldn't take longer then couple of hours.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we are probably include Arduino board already mounted on the front panel. That actually takes most of the time.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:00:52 pm by prasimix »

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 10:04:48 pm »
will you provide a detailed manual to perform the assembly ?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2017, 10:05:41 pm »
Of course, and going to make some videos, too.

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2017, 10:11:39 pm »
do you think that such a product could run 24 hours / 7 days for weeks without interuption ?
I'm asking because I got really disappointed by the Rigol DP832 which turns off every two  days roughly.
Unacceptable for my needs.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2017, 10:12:52 pm »
$400?
And I get to put it together myself?
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2017, 10:21:59 pm »
do you think that such a product could run 24 hours / 7 days for weeks without interuption ?
I'm asking because I got really disappointed by the Rigol DP832 which turns off every two  days roughly.
Unacceptable for my needs.

Unit that I have on the table is now approaching 100 working days, but unfortunately cannot have a chance to run it for longer period because we are continuously doing something on firmware side (each upload require restart). But, in a time what two unit was here (before I sent one to CrowdSupply) one was working more then a 10 days in the row without any problem. Here is a screenshot.

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 05:58:32 am »
did you try to monitor the temp under strong load ?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2017, 06:33:47 am »
Firmware is continuously monitoring temperature on the three point: 2 x Power board (near pre-regulator's power mosfet) and 1 x above AC/DC modules. Measured temperatures can be acquired remotely via SCPI command (MEAS:TEMP), and they are displayed on TFT display. Power board sensors values are used to control cooling fan speed. under continuous max. load temperature on that sensors cannot exceed 70oC. Temperature about AC/DC modules cannot exceed 45oC. Of course we have three independent OTP (over-temperature protection) that can switch off output of single channel, both channels or shutdown complete unit.
Also if any of temp sensor failed or colling fan failed, max. output current will be automatically limited to the lower max. current (2 A).

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 07:32:00 am »
What I can measure after about half an hour of operation with both channels delivering max current (5 A) and ambient temperature is 21oC:
  • Channel sensor temperature (CH1, CH2): 61 oC
  • "Interior" sensor, above AC/DC modules temperature (AUX): 32.5 oC
  • Fan speed: 4300 rpm

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2017, 07:40:34 pm »
that's pretty reasonnable. 8)

Offline jleg

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 01:49:49 pm »
This really is an awesome piece of hardware, imo  :-+ - and i'm on the point of considering to get a kit.
But i feel a bit concerned about the fact that this "european" project will be shipped form the the U.S. - and i probably have to deal with customs then?
Any chance that there'll be an EU source later as well?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 01:53:49 pm »
Hard to say in this moment. I'm sorry for that and to "encourage" you I can only say that to this moment 11.9% backers comes from Germany or 35.8% in total from EU.

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 11:39:22 am »
You have my Pledge for one full kit...  :-+   After spending a day studying all the work you guys have put into this thing it really looks like it'll serve users well... It's the flexibility i like so much that's a winner in my eyes.

I have spent a lifetime building so many hobby-time bench power supply designs featured in the hobby magazines over the past 3 decades and they always worked but only to a point and i usually found out that fact right at the most inconvenient time. Then the thing was just not able to meet a specific demand and i'd be on the search again.

And of course it's recently become tempting to take a chance at one of the Professional 'faulty' Lab Supplies being sold on ebay and i admit i have been eyeing a few but the shipping costs to New Zealand just killed that idea...

So, to Prasmix and the team behind this thing. All the best on the Crowdfunding...  :)

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2017, 08:55:54 am »
A small update: we are almost there, it's great to see how people around the world could be gathered to support an idea. Currently we have backers from 23 countries, and not surprisingly none from the China, and surprisingly (not?) none from Italy :). I'm wondering does the latest in connection with the fact that Italy is a home of Arduino? Maybe some people in general is discouraged with anything in connection with Arduino, but note that we are using 32-bit Due and we makes it busy with displaying everything with high refresh rate on 320x240 screen while doing many "housekeeping" stuff and is still responsive for SCPI remote programming via USB and Ethernet port concurrently! And that is not just our guesstimate but reality that could be checked on growing collection of videos (still without background music, and me as narrator with bad English ;)).

I also discussed with manufacturers what could be effect on cost and delivery if we add encoder for people who still believe that neither of three input modes could rivaled turning a knob. So we could possibly offer it as an option to not unnecessary increase the cost for the people how is ready to live with touchscreen alone.

I was also thinking about dual range current programming/measurement e.g. to add 0-500 mA what some people suggested. That would need an intervention on Power boards, and it's doable since we have enough space to grow PCB width to accompany such modification. But that is more candidate to first stretch goal that all backers got it.

Your valuable inputs is highly welcomed, and thanks once again to all backers, hopefully we reach 100% to the end of the campaign.

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2017, 11:04:54 am »
I'm definitely up for one - Looks like a really good job. :-+

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2017, 11:22:52 am »
even though i already purchased a pcb board kit prior to campaign. I have also supported this campaign with the all included option. Thank you for a great job.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The Bone, the Off-White, the Ivory or the Beige?

Offline jleg

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2017, 04:08:51 pm »
Hard to say in this moment. I'm sorry for that and to "encourage" you I can only say that to this moment 11.9% backers comes from Germany or 35.8% in total from EU.

ok ok, count me in, just pledged the kit!  ;)

btw, i'd also support having additional encoders - it would make the psu more complete, and also allow for having greasy fingers sometimes...  ::)

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2017, 04:52:12 pm »
my only concern is the noise level.
Could you show  scope pics at 5 V output , 50 ohms load, 10 us/div and 200 ns/div ?
at least 50 MHz scope BW ? 2mV /div if possible.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2017, 05:27:21 pm »
Could you show scope pics at 5 V output , 50 ohms load, 10 us/div and 200 ns/div ?

This is a reference noise (Rigol MSO1074), probe is coax cable with 4u7 capacitor, 50R termination on the scope end:

This is a CH1 with an additional Cout of 22 uF Vout=5V and load=47R (CV mode, I=110mA):

It's possible that most of the noise visible here comes from near TFT display and Arduino Due board.
Another one with max. current of 5A (load =~1R, Vout=5.8V) it looks like this:

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2017, 06:05:21 pm »
Please find below a load transient response measure with Vout=18V, Istep=1 to 2A (f=1kHz) with additional Cout=100uF+22uF. I'm using home made closed loop load transient tester presented in LTC's AN104.

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2017, 08:29:40 pm »
could you show the high frequency noise ?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2017, 10:29:42 pm »
could you show the high frequency noise ?

I hope so, what I need to do?

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2017, 11:16:23 pm »
Could you show  scope pics at 5 V output , 50 ohms load, 10 us/div and 200 ns/div ?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2017, 02:28:12 pm »

Hm, not so sure why you need this and what kind of circuit you'd like to power. Without bandwidth limitation (@70 MHz) it seems that nearby SPI signaling become visible (marked red). Ok, maybe I should put some resistors with small values in series to attenuate SPI signals.

Offline Tazz

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2017, 03:33:31 pm »
put some resistors with small values in series to attenuate SPI signals

Proper digital line impedance adaptation inside all the supporting logic of the PSU is a painful but necessary tuning step to minimise noise. It is always better to not generate noise vs have to filter the noise later.
Nevertheless the results of this PSU are already very good.

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2017, 08:42:32 pm »
thanks prasimix

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2017, 09:35:00 pm »
According to your screenshot you might have used the probe in 1x mode - so this limits the bandwidth to 7 MHz on the scope side, no?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2017, 10:27:22 pm »
I'm not using ordinary probe. Please read once again some of previous posts. But, I don't know what is bandwidth in that case.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2017, 06:47:25 pm »
Congradulations on hitting your target.  Your live. How does it feel.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2017, 06:54:26 pm »
Well done on reaching the goal!   :-+

I am hoping to order a second complete unit, but I've been waiting for a client to pay me.  I thought I might be the lucky one to get you over the line...  >:D

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2017, 11:19:48 pm »
I wish to thank you so much for your support :hug: (sorry, no icon associated). Stay tuned and I'll inform you here and via campaign subscriptions about manufacturing details that should start in coming days.

I really do believe that backers will like what they'll get and continue to get without paying for unlocking firmware nor spending nights trying to hack it or e.g. wondering what some IC with identification markings removed by laser could be :). All of you who pledged just for bare PCBs keep in mind that I'll try to assist you as much as I can, and don't be afraid at least two people succeed in that small adventure.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Stretch goals for EEZ H24005 campaign
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:10 am »
We still have over a month left in the campaign, so there’s plenty of time to exceed our initial goal and hit some stretch goals. Please take our survey to help determine our stretch goals.
Many thanks in advance.

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2017, 10:19:33 am »
Fantastic news and well done.

I wont be placing my order until the 25th - wonder how many more will be placed before the end date. Nice selection of stretch goals as well.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2017, 12:42:10 pm »
I know there is quite a way to go before you've completed this project, but I'd love to see other EEZ Open test equipment in future.
Maybe a programmable electronic load with similar cool features and user interface in a matching enclosure.

[edit typo]

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2017, 12:57:52 pm »
I know there is quite a way to go before you've completed this project, but I'd love to see other test EEZ Open test equipment in future.
Maybe a programmable electronic load with similar cool features and user interface in a matching enclosure.

One step at the time :). A lot of things will be possible to reuse from this project for further T&M devices, and the most valuable thing that came out of this project is firmware and software tools. On the hardware side I started initiative for DIB that is currently on hold, but I have not given up (not at all!), and hopefully we'll see how number of T&M modules will start to grow in the future.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2017, 11:17:26 am »
Yay, I finally got paid for a research project so I've ordered a second unit - just don't tell anyone  :palm:

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:40 am »
Yay, I finally got paid for a research project so I've ordered a second unit - just don't tell anyone  :palm:

;D

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Encoder is coming...
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2017, 11:19:49 am »
A short version of latest campaign update: the survey is now closed, and I want to thanks to all participants (250+). I got a lots of idea what can be done in the future. But some of them could be easily (and finally?) added into current design and that is mechanical (placement on the PCB) and firmware support for encoder :). That is a first stretch goal that I can say with confidence that will be reached, firmware development for adding encoder is almost completed and I'm going to show that soon in a new video.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:22:47 am by prasimix »

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2017, 11:15:52 am »
Order placed for the PCBs and Enclosure, might change the PCBs to the modules, not sure yet.

Anyone know if you can change an order? Seems to suggest it but the website tools dont and the website has little or no info for customers... IMO anyway.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2017, 11:20:23 am »
Order placed for the PCBs and Enclosure, might change the PCBs to the modules, not sure yet.

Anyone know if you can change an order? Seems to suggest it but the website tools dont and the website has little or no info for customers... IMO anyway.

Please ask that using campaign Ask a Question form that people from CS can assist you.

Offline Tazz

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2017, 11:36:28 am »
Do you know what would be the cost to add for simple (not industrial grade) metal stencils for the PCBs ?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2017, 11:39:35 am »
Do you know what would be the cost to add for simple (not industrial grade) metal stencils for the PCBs ?

Have no idea, I never used it and until now successfully mounted everything with hand soldering (hence BOM does not include QFN, BGA, etc.). I can ask PCB manufacturer what that could be.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2017, 11:41:57 am »

Might be easiset if Polyimide stencils are made available through OSHstencils.com
The final designs can be uploaded just before PCBs are shipped, and links for ordering made available to those who are doing their own assembly.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2017, 11:44:53 am »
Yes, I can do that and the final design will be definitely different from what is currently on the Github because of encoder on the Arduino shield (Stretch Goal #1 that was reached yesterday), relay on the AUX PS and maybe even dual range current option on the Power board.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2017, 11:48:11 am »
Oh, I just noticed Tazz asked for metal stencils.  Those would generally not be worth the cost unless you're building a batch, but OSHstencils can do stainless steel (unframed) as well.

Offline Tazz

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2017, 12:25:43 pm »
Polyimide would do the job too. Your OSHstencils.com suggestion is great !
It is still interesting to know what the pcb manufacturer of prasimix would charge for.

Offline Aigor

• Contributor
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2017, 12:33:25 pm »
Baked One full unit :D

Send from my honor 7 via topatalk

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2017, 05:04:47 pm »
I've ordered one! Happy to continue and grow my hobby with this in July 2017.. :-) Keep the posts and updates coming in.

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2017, 09:00:53 am »
One full kit ordered :-+ :-+

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2017, 09:03:42 am »
Great! Two more full kit and the Stretch goal #2 will be reached  :-+.

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2017, 11:05:28 am »
For those that need to know, changing an order involves emailing their customer service. They cancel the order and refund takes 48hrs IMO that is really quick.

I am in such a bind as to whether to order the complete kit or the PCB and enclosure. I wonder Pris. Will the instructions have testing included along the way?

Anyone else have any thoughts? I have no immediate need for it but it will be more expensive... Never thought I would find it so hard to choose!

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2017, 11:17:55 am »
Hi, I'm going to test each module when they arrived from manufacturers, any just finished a tester that can speed up that task for Power boards and AUX PS modules that require AC mains and 48VDC (see picture). Arduino shield testing will be part of inserting Arduino Due and upload test firmware.
All of you how decide to build it from the scratch, an updated instructions for the most recent revision will be available on the web and GitHub for download. Finnaly, for assembling full kit I'm going to prepare a video with instructions. It shouldn't take more then a hour or two to put everything in place. I hope that answer your question to some extent.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2017, 02:15:01 am »
Backed it for a full kit. Well done Prasimix! Looks like we just passed stretch goal point #2!

The following users thanked this post: Kean, prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Update #10
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2017, 10:29:01 am »
We get close to the final week of the campaign and I posted an update about recent activities that can be found here. I'd like to highlight that all changes announced as part of stretch goals #1 and #2 are now incorporated into the latest version r5B12 that is available on the GitHub. It even includes stretch goal #3 changes that does not looks so far away today as few weeks ago.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, julianhigginson

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2017, 01:45:23 am »
aaah, ok then....  I'M IN! Another full kit order placed.

I've been looking at this project for a while, and could really use a remote controllable PSU on my bench, plus I love the idea of having test equipment with full documentation behind it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:15:16 am by julianhigginson »

The following users thanked this post: Kean, prasimix

Offline garnix

• Contributor
Re: Update #10
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2017, 04:31:07 pm »
OK, I'm a backer as well! I reduced my lunch-expenses for the last month  :popcorn: - now I saved enough for this nice project and as an additional plus: I think I even lost some weight :-DD WIN:WIN

... It even includes stretch goal #3 changes that does not looks so far away today as few weeks ago.

Does this mean we have a chance of getting stretch goal #3 - even if we don't hit $88'000 ::)

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2017, 04:45:54 pm »
Thanks Garnix, and glad to hear that such project has potential to improve someone's shape :).

The stretch goal #3 is very close (22 complete kits away in this moment), but still questionable since only six days left. I'll get an updated (that includes all stretch goal) offer for PCBA service next Monday and I think that we should have at least 200 complete kits (7 is currently missing) for it.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Enclosure and asemblies pledge level
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2017, 10:07:51 am »
A respectable number of people decided to support this project by pledging for bare PCBs. Many thanks for that. I'd like to draw their attention in this final days to something what I believe is really worth considering once again and that is Mechanical assemblies that includes some parts that when are ordered alone could easily exceed the total price of that pledge. That is obviously customized enclosure, but not just enclosure alone, since it comes with two customized heatsinks (cut to size!) for Power boards and mounting rail for mounting TFT display among other stuff.
Without going into more details, I'd like to suggest you to check attached BOM of that pledge level where I marked in red few items that I found that is "difficult" (i.e. expensive) to order separately.

Offline Mike-

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2017, 06:26:44 pm »
Just ordered one full kit  :)

Btw 200 full kits now reached  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Kean, prasimix, garnix, julianhigginson

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2017, 01:43:07 pm »
I got today an updated quotation for the modules manufacturing. It' seems that with 207 complete kit we just "break even" few minutes ago for Stretch goal #3 (thanks to Mark O from Australia, and of course all of you people). The latest update is also published today with first video about EEZ Studio toolkit.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, julianhigginson, Rypht

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2017, 12:00:23 pm »
Just placed my order for a full kit, that takes the campaign over the $88,000 stretch goal.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:51:37 pm by Macman »

The following users thanked this post: Kean, prasimix, julianhigginson, Rypht

• Supporter
    • EEZ
200% and 3rd stretch goal is reached!
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2017, 12:07:11 pm »
What to say, I'm speechless! That makes 3rd stretch goal officially reached :).
Massive thanks to you and all other. When I started this I didn't expect even that 100 units could be backed.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Macman, iainwhite, garnix, julianhigginson, Rypht

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2017, 03:43:59 pm »
What a perfect Tuesday! Great stuff and very happy to note that also this stretch goal has been reached.

The following users thanked this post: timgiles

Offline ballanux

• Contributor
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2017, 09:42:58 pm »
I just ordered one full kit!

220 units already :)

I'm sure this will be helpful on my own projects and maybe I can also make a crowdfunding campaign for one of them soon  8)

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2017, 03:11:24 am »
so what's the next stretch goal?

we have 2 more days, right??
 :-+

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2017, 06:44:48 am »
so what's the next stretch goal?

we have 2 more days, right??
 :-+

:) I think that we are running out of time regarding new stretch goals. All of what I have in mind requires considerable amount of additional time and/or money. Let say that we can rise enough money a new cycle of prototyping has to be initiated and extra time for development is needed. In short that could add substantial delay in delivery, and I'd like to deliver everything to backers within planned time frame.

Also I'd like to take this opportunity to remind of the nature of this campaign: it's a group buy as noted in the first post of this thread. Therefore I'd like to recommend to all who are still undecided to make up their mind pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:46:22 am by prasimix »

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2017, 10:14:12 pm »
Wow, it is taking off like a rocket  :)

I was wondering, how this project will grow/continue in the future - e.g. you mentioned you might have plans to add this Riverdi 3.5" display in the future, so you plan to add additional group-buys for those upgrades via CrowdSupply?
And will this then more of a DIY project in the future (so I have to enlarge the cut out of the LCD from 3.2" to 3.5" myself as an example) or do you think you also plan to make upgrades to the enclosure? Or do you just plan to release a version 2 of EEZ H24005, e.g. EEZ H24006 and I have to buy another one, if I like the upgrade? (As most companies do...)

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2017, 10:22:22 pm »
Hi Garnix. The latest Arduino shield revision (r5B12) already includes support for better screen. Check Sheet 12 with optional sections here. It requires different type of socket (20-pin 0.5mm FFC) and small audio amplifier since its display controller also handle audio!

Therefore only a new front panel will be required because that display is a little bit larger (3.5" instead of 3.2"). I'll try to see with Varisom (enclosure producer) if they possibly have an idea how to make some sort of "universal hole" that can be easily adopted to carry any of them.

If any of you have some idea please let me know!

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2017, 01:32:21 am »
aaaaaand.... you are over 100k!!!!!

well done!

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2017, 01:39:41 pm »
A short follow up to the 3.5" display option discussion: such kind of display doesn't come with socket for SD card, and SD card will be a standard part of the solution for at least three reasons:
  • user profiles backup
  • waveform lists for "arbitary waveform generator" and
  • data logging.
Therefore an optional SD card socket is needed on the Arduino Shield itself and I managed today to add it. It's positioned in a way that you can insert it without opening enclosure if one extra hole is added (I have to discuss that with manufacturer). Ok, the place is not optimal (insertion hole will be on the bottom plate) but I think it's still better/simpler to just turn around enclosure then remove a whole plate.

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2017, 07:41:32 pm »
Gosh - over 100k and 300+ units. Great job.

How much would a replacement front panel cost (100 or 200 quantity)? I suspect not much. Cant imagine how to make the front panel so it could accept either without some sort of mounting plate that would need to fill the gap... Doesnt look too pretty in my mind at the moment - but I am no mechanical/design engineer.

4 more hours to go, would be interesting to see a graph of pledges over time.

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2017, 08:13:55 pm »
One full kit ordered. 

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, julianhigginson

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2017, 09:56:09 pm »
In for a penny. One full kit ordered - with my best wishes for a commercial success.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, julianhigginson

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2017, 10:42:31 pm »
Gosh - over 100k and 300+ units. Great job.

How much would a replacement front panel cost (100 or 200 quantity)? I suspect not much.

That's right, possibly less or equal to shipping cost :). More expensive is display itself and buying and mounting SD socket + Audio amp.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2017, 09:08:28 am »
Crowdfunding campaign exceeded all our expectations!
Massive thanks once again to all supporters, many thanks to Dave for this forum that I probably need to "blame" on the first place why so many people joined us since as you a probably noticed I didn't use any of suggested "marketing/propaganda tools" that many holds that are indispensable and even more important then product itself. A great share goes to CrowdSupply and their reputation especially when open source project are in question. Finally it's a invaluable experience to see that people recognize openness that I hold that is an evolutionary (not revolutionary!) step that require more creativity and energy but could take us (slowly but surely) to the position that is hard to imagine from the established (protective and secretive, "we against you", etc.) mindset that many think or wants to think because they are afraid (or refuse) to think otherwise that is only possible way to move forward.

I'll continue to do my best to keep you informed now not only about what's happening on the development side but also how fulfillment is progressing.

For number lovers I put into attachment only statistic that I have so far, maybe that could give some of you idea about expected audience if decide to run similar type of campaign in the future. Feel free to contact me or discuss here about other campaign related details that you think that could helps you and others in some way.

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2017, 09:09:22 am »
Or some 3D printed adapter/bezel to fit either the 3.2" and 3.5" screen.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2017, 09:12:16 am »
Or some 3D printed adapter/bezel to fit either the 3.2" and 3.5" screen.

Yup, something like that: a bigger hole for 3.5" display that can carry two different adapters. Huh, maybe someone with knowledge of 3D modeling will jump in soon with some proposal :)

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2017, 09:22:38 am »
Yup, something like that: a bigger hole for 3.5" display that can carry two different adapters. Huh, maybe someone with knowledge of 3D modeling will jump in soon with some proposal :)

I will give it a try - I just have to familiarise myself on how the display is currently mounted, but I guess I can take a look at your internals-pictures on GitHub&envox.hr/eez

Normally I use OpenSCAD ( http://www.openscad.org ) for such work, as it is completely parameterisable and can easily adapted afterward. And is OpenSource.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2017, 09:26:43 am »
Thanks. I suggest that we continue with discussion about details on the main project thread here. In the meantime take a look at this DXF file. Mind the space between display and encoder knob.

Offline Rypht

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2017, 05:03:32 am »
Grats on breaking $120k!   One hell of a last minute showing.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Few pictures...
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2017, 07:08:59 am »
Just to share with you a few pictures with parts that starts to pile up on my side consuming all my working and storage space:

The following users thanked this post: Kean, garnix, Aigor

Offline matemathieu

• Contributor
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2017, 08:51:27 pm »
Damn, I missed your campaign!
Is there any way I can get one of those?

Offline phuebner

« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2017, 09:02:53 pm »
Yes I would also be interested in this option. Alternatively it would be also great if I could get my hands on an enclosure and a pcb panel. I don't mind soldering the boards my self.

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2017, 09:22:25 pm »
You can still order it from the CrowdSupply page https://www.crowdsupply.com/envox/eez-h24005

CrowdSupply works differently than Kickstarter: After the campaign, the status of the product changes to "Buy" so you just miss out of the crowd funding special pricing, but you also have less risk.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2017, 09:50:08 pm »
Dozen of bare PCBs (sets of four) should remain after campaign fulfillment ends. The complete kit was available thru so-called pre-order period until few days ago when we reached first batch of 300 units reserved for CrowdSupply backers. Unfortunately pre-order period is now closed. You can sign up on CrowdSupply if something happen, but now with all stuff added thanks to reached three stretch goals the cost of production is such that another at least 100 units have to be ordered in very short time to insure break-even on the next batch. It should be possible that smaller number of customized enclosures (with mounting rails and heatsinks) can be ordered from Varisom (min. 20 units), but again the price will be much higher the before (in range of 60 EUR without VAT).

Anyway, @matemathieu, @phuebner if you are interesting in bare PCBs contact me by PM or email that I can keep you updated about availability.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
More stuff...
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2017, 10:24:23 am »
More stuff arrived this week, namely Ethernet patch cables, metal enclosures from Varisom and Mean Well AC/DC power modules via JIANG Technology (China). All what I had a chance to check so far looks fine. One exception are heatsink's U-profiles. I'm little bit disappointed because it's not cleaned and didn't come with surface finish as . I hope that will not be a problem for most of you since heatsinks are not visible form outside.

Front panels:

... rear panels:

... TFT display mounting rails:

... AC/DC power modules:

Now only a "small" detail is missing: assembled PCB modules from ITEAD that we can build a complete kit. But, first 10 sets were sent yesterday and should be here next week. If they are assembled correctly I can give them a "green light" to proceed with production.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Working on kit bundles...
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2017, 10:38:46 am »
We (two friends and I) also started working on kit bundles. Here is picture of assembled heatsinks and parts for mounting AC/DC modules:

... and assembled front and rear panels without PCB modules (Arduino shield r5B12 and AUX PS module r5B12a) looks like this:

... and here is the picture of initial front panel and modified one thanks to stretch goal #1:

As you can see, encoder knob is added, protective earth binding post is moved, that is also case with TFT display and reset hole position. Push-in connector on Ch2 side now also carry optocoupled and fuse protected digital output (DOUT1). A new enclosure also comes with more elegant handles.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:37:59 am by prasimix »

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2017, 08:07:23 pm »
Hey Prasimix,   I know you've closed orders, but is there any chance of  just doing the mechanical bits?

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2017, 05:00:14 am »
looks awesome! can't wait to get mine.
I suspect there will be lots of pretty good bench supplies showing up on the for sale forum here once these ship.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2017, 06:41:15 am »
@mrpackethead: I don't know at the moment. Minimum order is 20 sets (i.e. enclosure, heatsinks and mounting rails) but price that I got is about 50% higher for such small quantity.   

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

• Supporter
    • EEZ
What you see is what you (will) get ...
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2017, 01:15:44 pm »
Few more pictures now when test batch of assembled PCBs arrived from ITEAD two days ago.

Backers of complete kit should receive something like this:

• Main cardboard box with additional envelope/enforcement
  • Cardboard box for two AC/DC modules and fuses (not visible)
  • Cardboard box for two Power boards
  • Top and bottom plates (without protective plastic bag)
  • Handles, AC/DC modules mounting rail, wiring and nuts and bolts (in various plastic bags)
  • Cardboard box for front panel with installed Arduino Shield board, Arduino Due and 3.2" TFT touchscreen display
  • Cardboard box for rear panel with installed AUX power module, AC inlet and cooling fan
... packed all together:

The following users thanked this post: frenky, Kean, timgiles, peteb2, julianhigginson

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2017, 05:16:39 pm »
Wow! Awsome job to all those involved.

For those of us waiting for the PCBs so we can make up our own boards, are the Github files (BOMs etc..) maching these 'production' boards?  I would love to start ordering some of the parts.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2017, 12:16:19 pm »
Wow! Awsome job to all those involved.

For those of us waiting for the PCBs so we can make up our own boards, are the Github files (BOMs etc..) maching these 'production' boards?  I would love to start ordering some of the parts.

A new hardware release EEZ PSU H24005 (r5B12) is published today that match production boards. Use accompanied BOM, building instructions, etc. for assembly. Also Firmware M5 is now available required for r5B12 boards.

The following users thanked this post: timgiles, Aigor

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2017, 05:46:23 am »
Given that there is no more of these to be bought, is anyone else interested in getting some made.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Kit assembly instructions
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2017, 11:49:23 am »
I finished all work needed that when assembled PCB modules arrives they can be tested and assembled (i.e. Arduino Shield on the enclosure's front panel and AUX power module on rear panel). A last couple of days I spent to make a first draft of Complete kit assembly instructions. Please let me know if such format make sense to you.

ITEAD told me that PCB modules assembly should be finished until June, 8th. A slightly longer that what I expected. Hopefully everything that come will not require a lot of additional attention and that final packaging and shipment will follow soon.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
Re: Kit assembly instructions
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2017, 09:23:19 pm »
A last couple of days I spent to make a first draft of Complete kit assembly instructions. Please let me know if such format make sense to you.

I read through the instructions and thought they were very good.  I liked the fact you had a lot of photos of the parts and how they should fit together.  I don't expect I will have any trouble building my kit when it arrives.
One good thing about this - I realized I need to dig out an IEC mains cable from my store as the unit does not ship with one.

Iain

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2017, 06:50:56 am »
The instructions look good to me. Good tip for the USB cable, don't want to break the Arduino!

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2017, 07:15:37 am »
I agree, the instructions look very clear and thorough.  Well done!

Offline opticpow

• Contributor
  • Hoping to one day understand the crap I play with!
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2017, 08:39:46 am »
Given that there is no more of these to be bought, is anyone else interested in getting some made.

I am.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2017, 09:00:23 am »

I'm getting two of the Crowd Supply units, but if they work out as well as expected then I will probably want another one or two.
My lab has expanded  ;D

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2017, 09:24:32 am »
Instructions look good.

I could definitely see myself building another early next year, so prehaps we need to look at opening up a online list for those interested that once it hits 50 (?) a larger order can be placed.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2017, 10:06:07 am »

I'm getting two of the Crowd Supply units, but if they work out as well as expected then I will probably want another one or two.
My lab has expanded  ;D

The big challenge is the case.. the rest of it is resonbably straight forward.  I'd really hope prasmix can do somethign, but it appears hes not keen too.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2017, 09:34:59 pm »

My lab has expanded  ;D

The big challenge is the case.. the rest of it is resonbably straight forward.  I'd really hope prasmix can do somethign, but it appears hes not keen too.

Hm, I'm not quite understand what I can do on top of what is done: the enclosure is now fine tuned (after few iterations) to house all PCBs and other elements, it also include simple heatsinks, AC/DC module mounting frame and 3.2" TFT display mounting frame. Only what remains that someone contact Varisom and order 20 or more units to get better price. I believe Varisom shouldn't have any complaints if new order comes from someone else (I can forward a contact name and inform Varisom about it). There is no need to repeat (and pay!) a whole process of prototyping. You can possibly even order a new color if existing one (RAL 5022) is not suitable.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2017, 03:05:38 am »
Hm, I'm not quite understand what I can do on top of what is done: the enclosure is now fine tuned (after few iterations) to house all PCBs and other elements, it also include simple heatsinks, AC/DC module mounting frame and 3.2" TFT display mounting frame. Only what remains that someone contact Varisom and order 20 or more units to get better price. I believe Varisom shouldn't have any complaints if new order comes from someone else (I can forward a contact name and inform Varisom about it). There is no need to repeat (and pay!) a whole process of prototyping. You can possibly even order a new color if existing one (RAL 5022) is not suitable.

I was hoping that you might be taking more orders.. so i can just buy a kit.. however happy to order them.  In fact if i need to, i'll make one in my shop.. 

• Supporter
    • EEZ
PCB modules are coming...
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2017, 02:27:41 pm »
I got today confirmation from ITEAD that assembled PCBs will be ready for shipment tomorrow. That means that boards should comes to me next week when I need to perform basic testing, upload firmware v1.0 (it has to be ready to the end of this week) and pack everything and send to Crowd Supply for final delivery to your addresses.
I'm going to add another update on campaign pages when get tracking number from ITEAD.

The following users thanked this post: Helix70, Kean, peteb2, Dwaine, julianhigginson

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2017, 01:02:26 am »
Looking forward to when my unit arrives.  The firmware looks very well done   I was looking at the GITHub code.  This will put the Rigol and Siglent power supplies to shame.

I think there will have to be another opportunity.  When people see this power supply in action.  The demand will be there. 

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Assembled modules arrived ...
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2017, 05:05:11 pm »
Assembled modules arrived at Friday as scheduled in boxes that are a little bit funny and doesn't look as something that could efficiently protect its content ...

... but inside is huge amount of bubble wrap to protect modules:

So, first think that I did on Friday is to run a quick test of all three types of boards to see if they are working as first batch of 10. I'm happy to say that it seems that they are behaving as expected. I was a little bit nervous about that since first batch due to small quantity was manually assembled and main production has been done on automated assembly line.

I just finished all AUX power boards. A simple testing of soft-start/stand-by, fan control/speed measurement and DOUT2 relay was performed. I found on many boards that header's pins (positions X4, X8 and X10) are bended (I don't know if that is connected with strange packaging or something else during production) but nothing alarming that cannot be rectified quickly. Another issue was with inductor L5 that drop off from half of dozen boards, but I also fixed that.
All boards are mounted to already prepared rear panels, put in boxes and they are ready for final insertion to main transportation box that was presented in some of recent post:

... another view below right desk:

Tomorrow we are continue with Arduino Shields.

The following users thanked this post: biot, garnix, julianhigginson

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2017, 10:09:04 pm »
woohoo!! getting very close now!

Offline Aigor

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2017, 08:47:14 am »
Start to be impatient to receive my "Christmas gift"  ;D

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Another (very) busy week
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2017, 10:19:18 pm »
A short update about what was achieved this very busy week. All Arduino Shield boards are tested and I found that percentage of them doesn't work. I don't know what is average figure for faulty assembled boards in the industry, and would like to compare it with what I got here. So if someone have some idea please let me know.
I made some basic testing that also required plugged in Arduino Due board and 3.2" TFT display. Both of them came from the same Hong Kong based dealer found on Alibaba. I got very interesting situation here: first it seems that dozen of 3.2" TFT displays don't works as expected, then I found that their contacts are "greasy" or just corroded but "contact spray" saves my day. Next, I got errors that pointed into direction of faulty Arduino Shield boards (another dozen) that ends up with another completely unexpected surprise: Arduino Due boards with MCU that has faulty analog inputs! That MCUs didn't show any problem with firmware uploading, USB or SPI communication but analog inputs reported always max. value (like logic high level).
Now I can say that selected dealer of cheap components wasn't good choice. The bad thing was that I was completely unaware of such possibility and didn't test throughly all Arduino Due (and displays too!) before, report that and save some time (and money) with replacements.

All Power boards were installed on heatsinks, and so far I tested less then 20% of them performing basic voltage and current programming (with load connected). Percentage of faulty assembled boards is comparable with above mentioned Ardiuno Shield boards and I'll continue with testing the rest of them. Also for tomorrow is planned to start boxing of complete kits just to get some idea about how time consuming that process will be.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2017, 11:27:52 pm »
in a low complexity assembly run of 400 units I had 6 turn out to be faulty, 2 from a dry joint, 1 from a missing 0603 component, and 3 unknowns, possibly an open trace on the board.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2017, 09:52:26 am »
in a low complexity assembly run of 400 units I had 6 turn out to be faulty, 2 from a dry joint, 1 from a missing 0603 component, and 3 unknowns, possibly an open trace on the board.

Thanks for feedback. I assume that your manufacturer didn't perform any testing, but just delivered what came out of production line. I finished this morning testing of all boards. Numbers in my case are very discouraging: 49 pcs of 600 Power boards are faulty (~8.1%) for various reasons: 3 mechanical damage of C3, C15 was 5 times found detached in packaging bags (same with C55 but two times). The rest represents boards that failed to pass simplest testing (i.e. voltage and current programming over the whole range 0-40V and 0-5A).
In case of Arduino Shield boards (300 pcs) 11 are faulty (~3.6%). Now it's question how much time I have to spend to repair faulty boards.

To add more "joy" to the whole story my son broke his arm in unusual way that surgery last almost five hours. He is still in great pain and we have to see what the result will be.
Anyway before got a call from ambulance we managed to put into boxes almost hundred units:

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2017, 10:14:06 am »
Sorry to hear about your son.  Hoping for a speedy recovery. Shocking failure rates. Sorry this has happened.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2017, 10:33:22 am »
The supplier we used was itead, for both the boards and assembly, your yields may be relayed to the complexity, mine where 0603 / 0.5mm pitch min, 10/10 spacing, with 57 components, 3 being QFP's, mixed through hole and smd, on a 2 layer board.

The yeild of the arduino boards surprises me a little, see that there isnt an open connection to VDDANA and ADVREF (Pins 73 and 75 on the qfp), as that is the analog supply.

As for your faulty boards, what is the fault symptoms if you dont mind me asking

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2017, 03:14:30 am »
oh no... I hope they sort your son's arm out soon. It's so stressful when your kids hurt themselves, and heartbreaking to see them in pain.

Also - that's not a good manufacturing yield.  I'd forgive maybe 2% for a first run, but expect it under that if the design is right and the manufacturer is competent. 

Look at the power boards vs your prototypes, and see if it's a common problem that's stopping the ability to program V and I. 

I'd also hold off shipping, as if it turns out the design is marginal, you might want to have those boards to hand.

Did these guys also build your prototypes? if they did, at least you know they know what all the components are meant to be.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2017, 09:21:02 pm »
The yeild of the arduino boards surprises me a little, see that there isnt an open connection to VDDANA and ADVREF (Pins 73 and 75 on the qfp), as that is the analog supply.

Many thanks for this one! I found that AREF selector 0603 jumper on all problematic boards is not properly soldered (one end is without contact). After resoldering everything starts to works as expected.

As for your faulty boards, what is the fault symptoms if you dont mind me asking

After additional inspection I can say there is a two major reasons for such great failure rate:
  • thermal pad of IC4 is not connected and
  • one of C15 terminals lost connection (it's ripped off or not soldered properly).

First one cause problem with bias power that become about +12V/-0.5V instead of +5/-5V. If that is a case and you turn on channel output voltage will exceed max. value of 40 V and if load is mistakenly connected that can easily damage low current switch and sense resistor (Q13 and R63). Another possible victim could be IC10 (DAC) but I cannot confirm that yet.
Result of the second issue is that output current cannot reach max. value of 5 A. It's in this case less then 3 A.

Please note that IC4 is not the only one with thermal pad. That is also IC1. But, it is connected on "isolated" ground plane while IC4 is connected on main ground plane that is not so easy to heat up. But that should be a default, or not? I don't know if manufacturer should take such parts in account to adjust soldering process (i.e. selection of temperature, speed, solder paste, etc.). Maybe a considerable number of issues with IC15 connection was also caused with inappropriate soldering process for such bulky part?

So far I successfully repaired 20 Power boards and hopefully I'll fix the rest very soon. There is few other issues: one is very strange: positive and negative input pins of X1 (minifit 3-pin connector) was shorted from inside like on picture below (connector was removed):

Other issues are with C15 that are dropped off the PCB completely (again by mechanical force due to faulty handling or due to inadequate soldering process) and C3 that is mechanically damaged (broken terminals).

I didn't have a time to check what's going on with Arduino Shield boards yet.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2017, 09:24:13 pm »
Did these guys also build your prototypes? if they did, at least you know they know what all the components are meant to be.

Yes, they did but assembled them manually. I found the same problem with IC4 mentioned above on few prototypes and warned them about it, but it seems that the same soldering process was used.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2017, 09:34:39 pm »

Yes, they did but assembled them manually. I found the same problem with IC4 mentioned above on few prototypes and warned them about it, but it seems that the same soldering process was used.
I worked almost 5 years assembling medical precision lasers with step motors with embarqued electronic modules communicating with rs485 standard and some centralised dsp module.I precise medical stuff for radio-therapy security purpose!(location near Paris)
Failure rate of electronic modules made in China was 10-40% .
So every day I was repairing the low-cost sh....t.
Don't take it bad you'll get to that finish line...
Bon courage I really love your project on my first pay I'll buy the kit.
Best regards , Ovidiu

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2017, 02:04:30 am »
The problem isn't "made in China", it is more likely how well was it specified, and are they following your specifications. Of course, this increases the price, but we get perhaps 1 failure in 500.

We specify the testing, soldering quality, PCB construction, allowable part substitution, cleaning, solder, flux, conformal coating, inspection methods, surface finish etc, etc.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2017, 02:38:38 am »
If you check your gerbers for IC4, do you find areas defined on the paste later?

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2017, 04:09:14 am »
aaaah.... C15 is exactly the type of cap I expected it'd be, from what you said.
http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/EEE-FK1J101P/?qs=qE6bgDGEOCtwdzPOVG3QkQ%3D%3D

I hate SMT electrolytics.  I never use them if it's at all avoidable. (and these days with bigger and bigger ceramics becoming available, it's getting pretty avoidable)

They have very high thermal mass, high centre of gravity and relatively small solder lands.
Basically, they are a manufacturing defect waiting to happen.

I've seen so many of these parts improperly soldered, still with some of the solder paste in ball form underneath, and not even fully evaporated carrier. All because the person doing the reflow profile didn't consider the amount of heat these things can suck up. (or they had to keep it lower than they'd like to in order to prevent over-stressing other parts)

And even if soldered correctly, one sharp jolt, and *pop* off they come.

At least they are fast and easy to rework if there's a bit of space around them.

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2017, 05:34:35 am »
Please note that IC4 is not the only one with thermal pad. That is also IC1. But, it is connected on "isolated" ground plane while IC4 is connected on main ground plane that is not so easy to heat up. But that should be a default, or not? I don't know if manufacturer should take such parts in account to adjust soldering process (i.e. selection of temperature, speed, solder paste, etc.). Maybe a considerable number of issues with IC15 connection was also caused with inappropriate soldering process for such bulky part?

I've seen this happen to one of Slovenian manufacturers. There was one area on the board that had a large amount of ground on the both sides. Some large components were not soldered properly and sometimes even the IC with thermal pad didn't have a contact. They fucked up 15 prototypes out of 100. And they knew it, they promised to fix it. We then went into the production with them. Out of 1000 200 were having the same problem.
We switched the manufacturer for later batch, we said you are to expect the problem in that area please be careful. We used 500 out of 1000 and all of them were ok.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2017, 06:19:53 am »
The problem isn't "made in China", it is more likely how well was it specified, and are they following your specifications. Of course, this increases the price, but we get perhaps 1 failure in 500.

We specify the testing, soldering quality, PCB construction, allowable part substitution, cleaning, solder, flux, conformal coating, inspection methods, surface finish etc, etc.
Totaly agree.but you know,longer the list higher the price.just saying cheap and quality is just a dream

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2017, 07:02:35 am »
THis is what drove me to manufacturing in house.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2017, 07:36:07 am »

That's a bit of a jump to make...

Actually, it sounds like the reflow profile was inappropriate for thermal aspects of the design...
you don't specify that either.
And if you did, I doubt you'd have the capability to confirm it in an overseas contract manufacturer's process anyway. :-)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:07:37 am by julianhigginson »

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2017, 12:55:41 pm »
I hate SMT electrolytics.  I never use them if it's at all avoidable. (and these days with bigger and bigger ceramics becoming available, it's getting pretty avoidable)
Assuming you use LDOs which are stable with ceramic output caps (no minimum ESR requirement), which excludes some of the cheapest LDOs.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #155 on: July 05, 2017, 09:31:57 am »
It has been a long time since I saw a modern smt reg not stable with ceramics, but if that's an issue, add a resistor in series with the cap. Cheaper than the repairs.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2017, 09:59:15 am »
And increasingly we are using more and more smps for everything and we want low esr

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2017, 02:11:17 pm »
Despite the recent stressful situation, I manage to repair enough faulty boards needed for campaign fulfillment. Sorting and packaging was finished yesterday. Everything is ready for pick up that is scheduled for next Wednesday (July, 12th) for shipping by air to Crowd Supply.

The following users thanked this post: Helix70, Len, Kean, mrpackethead, garnix, Aigor, s8548a, AlanS, stevendpclark, julianhigginson, mattlm

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2017, 03:12:21 pm »
Great work!

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2017, 05:27:40 am »
Great work there prasimix

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2017, 01:06:17 am »
Good work Prasimix - especially for keeping at it!

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2017, 11:59:55 am »
Instead of scheduled pick up last Wednesday, chosen courier/forwarder decided for undisclosed reason to gave up! They told me that in last moment (on Wednesday) despite the fact that we were in constant communication for more then a month. So, they are hopefully the last one who made their contribution to delaying campaign fulfillment.  :)
Picture of packages last seen in my garage:

Today I received pictures from new courier (DHL via Lufthansa Cargo):

Shipment is scheduled to arrive at Crowd Supply's premise at July, 24th. I'd like to thank once again to all backers for support and patience. We tried to do our best in given condition and wants to apologize in advance if for any reason your kit does not include what is advertised (or not met your expectations in any way).

The following users thanked this post: Kean, garnix, jleg, julianhigginson, mattlm

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2017, 06:24:16 pm »
any spares left over.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2017, 06:31:12 pm »
any spares left over.

Yes, something left over, I'm going to make an inventory list of fully usable as of faulty parts that could be of interest.

Offline Aigor

• Contributor
« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2017, 11:24:40 am »
Hy Prax, today Crowd Supply sent me a e-mail in which they tell me that i will receive my gift on 16 August

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2017, 11:27:50 am »
Hy Prax, today Crowd Supply sent me a e-mail in which they tell me that i will receive my gift on 16 August

Good to know, you're now in their hands  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Aigor

Offline grimmjaw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2017, 08:01:42 am »
Hy Prax,

What type of software do you use for the block diagram drawing .Looks good

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2017, 08:05:02 am »
The same one that is used for schematic and PCB layouting: Eagle. The source file can be found here.

The following users thanked this post: grimmjaw, mrpackethead

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2017, 08:23:54 am »
Shipping date is nearing, great :-)

Just to have everything at hand when it arrives - I read about the need to self-calibrate it. So my (sorry if stupid) question: Do I need anything special to do this calibration?

• Voltage is no problem, I just attach my multimeter to it, I assume.
  • To calibrate current, I need some resistor/load - and here my question: How much power is it suppose to dissipate? At what voltage levels is the calibration routine running? So my ordinary - at hand 1/2 W - resistors probably won’t cut it - perhaps I can run many of them in parallel, but that will probably only work practicable if power dissipation is less than 10 W or so...

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2017, 08:42:05 am »
Set voltage for current calibration is half of the scale i.e. 20 V (default that can be changed in firmware before compilation).
I'm usually using power resistor of 1R or 3R3. Following the Ohm law, the first one has to be rated to min 25W, another one to 82.5 W. Both of them are mounted on heatsink.

The following users thanked this post: garnix

Offline Aigor

• Contributor
« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2017, 09:54:32 am »
Hi Prax, do the kit have already compiled firmware flashed?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2017, 10:04:56 am »
Yes, but version 1.0 is used that was available in that moment. I'd like to recommend upgrade to the recent one: 1.01.

Offline Aigor

• Contributor
« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2017, 11:27:48 am »
Will be first thing after assembly
Thanks

Inviato dal mio ONE A2003 utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #173 on: August 04, 2017, 02:30:08 am »
Are you still considering releasing the GUI designer as open source?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2017, 05:09:09 am »
Of course, we are currently shaping it to be usable for others, but need more time than we expected.

The following users thanked this post: Helix70, ChrisG

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2017, 01:32:56 pm »
I made a list of parts that remains after campaign fulfillment. It's very limited and include various things from TFT displays, bare PCBs, enclosure parts to complete kits. If anyone is interested please contact me by PM. Your inquiry will be processed on first come, first served basis.

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead, julianhigginson

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2017, 12:15:57 am »
This morning I got an email to tell me it's being shipped, and I should have tracking online in the next 24 hours.

woohoo!

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2017, 03:18:23 am »
I also received an email that my unit has shipped.  Also got a tracking number.

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2017, 04:01:02 am »
Mine is also shipped :-+ :-+

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2017, 05:23:22 am »
No shipping email for me yet. Hopefully soon!

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2017, 12:56:45 am »
First of my ones has shipped  :-+

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2017, 12:10:22 pm »
Mines on its way, taken a few hops around croatia, but i'm guessing it will find a plane out in a few days.

Offline Aigor

• Contributor
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2017, 11:25:19 am »
Got email from crowdsupply ,my gift is on the way ,I also have tracking number

Inviato dal mio ONE A2003 utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2017, 12:24:46 pm »
And my second one is confirmed as on the way, so CrowdSupply seem to be getting through them pretty quickly.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2017, 12:46:51 pm »
Yay! Mine has shipped!

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Missing parts...
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2017, 06:12:27 am »
It seems that I mistakenly put just two instead of four M3 x 5 mm black countersunk head bolts in B1 bag shown on Fig 3. here. Therefore spacers (B2) cannot be fixed on the bottom plate, but even without that AC/DC modules should be securely fixed if you're use that two bolts to join mounting frame (B3) with bottom plate (see Fig 6).

steverino

« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:46 pm »
Hi Prasimix.  Sorry to post here, I'm not sure how to contact you directly about my H24005 order.  I tried to contact you through the Crowd Supply website, but not sure if you'll receive my inquiry.  Anyway,  I've received my order (thank you, and very well packaged as well).  I've come to discover I had only ordered "Assemblies and Enclosures".  So I have a beautiful enclosure but no electronics.  Is it possible to order the missing parts?  My original order number is 40339.  Thanks in advance.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2017, 10:14:31 pm »
Hi Prasimix.  Sorry to post here, I'm not sure how to contact you directly about my H24005 order.  I tried to contact you through the Crowd Supply website, but not sure if you'll receive my inquiry.  Anyway,  I've received my order (thank you, and very well packaged as well).  I've come to discover I had only ordered "Assemblies and Enclosures".  So I have a beautiful enclosure but no electronics.  Is it possible to order the missing parts?  My original order number is 40339.  Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately there are just few leftovers. If you're interested in details send me PM. Crowd Supply team announced that they're going to organize second batch, but I don't have any details about that.

steverino

« Reply #188 on: August 17, 2017, 06:19:30 am »
PM Sent...

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2017, 05:29:28 pm »
I got my power supply today.  So tonight I'll do the assembly.

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #190 on: August 18, 2017, 04:58:18 am »
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner..

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Re: Missing parts...
« Reply #191 on: August 18, 2017, 06:27:00 am »
It seems that I mistakenly put just two instead of four M3 x 5 mm black countersunk head bolts in B1 bag shown on Fig 3. here. Therefore spacers (B2) cannot be fixed on the bottom plate, but even without that AC/DC modules should be securely fixed if you're use that two bolts to join mounting frame (B3) with bottom plate (see Fig 6).

This issue is now also reported in Github here, and note about this mistake is put into latest kit assembly instructions draft (0.8).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:30:11 am by prasimix »

Offline lycralout

« Reply #192 on: August 18, 2017, 05:41:09 pm »
Good to see people have already successfully built em up. Mines held in customs until I cough up the VAT/duty extortion :(

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2017, 12:11:45 am »
After building it, do a firmware upgrade to version 1.01.  Following the assembly instructions they were excellent.  I most likely will replace the binding posts with better ones this weekend.   Very nice unit.  Looking forward to future firmware updates.  Let's see were it takes us.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2017, 06:57:26 am »
After building it, do a firmware upgrade to version 1.01.

Good, firmware upgrade is highly recommended for various reasons as stated in 1.01 description. Upgrade process is described here (don't forget to include 3rd party libraries scpi-parser and Ethernet2).

I most likely will replace the binding posts with better ones this weekend. 

Let us know what you did. I had a hard time to found decent binding posts what is not too expensive and available via regular distributors. Take into account spacing between Front panel and PCB.

Looking forward to future firmware updates.  Let's see were it takes us.

Firmware development will continue, list of open issues are available here (maybe your votes will speed up some of them), more will be added and of course all of you who have now a real unit to work with are invited to report "usability issues", bugs, possible improvements, etc.

EDIT: Feel free to test remote control (using USB or Ethernet) by exchanging SCPI commands too  :).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:16:33 am by prasimix »

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2017, 08:53:33 am »
Good to see people have already successfully built em up. Mines held in customs until I cough up the VAT/duty extortion :(
Yeah, IMO for those that are in the EU it would probably be cheaper to get them directly from prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2017, 08:56:10 am »
Yeah, IMO for those that are in the EU it would probably be cheaper to get them directly from prasimix

Depends, since Croatian VAT is one of the highest in the EU, and if you cannot provide valid company VAT number extra +25% must be paid.

Offline jleg

• Contributor
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2017, 09:43:42 am »

Depends, since Croatian VAT is one of the highest in the EU, and if you cannot provide valid company VAT number extra +25% must be paid.

indeed - i just got mine as well, delivered to my door - and the only thing i had to pay was regular local VAT. No customs -  declaration said "0% to apply", not even a DHL handling fee, probably because sender covered the customs handling. And thanks to current € exchange rate, this thing now was quite a bit cheaper than expected...
Wohoo, can't wait to assemble it  :P - unfortunately, this weekend is blocked by family business... ::)
Thanks prasimix for all your efforts!

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2017, 09:52:43 am »
I've just received my letter with the charges to be paid. VAT: £68.40 Clearance Fee: 11.25 giving a total of £79.65
About the amount I was expecting but still slightly annoying having to pay the clearance fee.

Offline lycralout

« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2017, 10:37:41 am »
@Macman, Snap! at least they are consistent

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2017, 12:56:57 pm »
Mine is still in transit. Left San Fran this afternoon. Should be in Sydney Monday. Then a week to get to WA (western australia aka wait awhile)

Sent from my SM-A520K using Tapatalk

Offline stevendpclark

« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2017, 08:37:35 pm »
Built mine up today, packaging was very good and the assembly instructions for the full kit were very easy to follow! Thanks prasimix for all your efforts it really is a beautiful unit  :-+ Can't wait to start using it for real project work!

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #202 on: August 19, 2017, 10:36:59 pm »
After building it, do a firmware upgrade to version 1.01.

Good, firmware upgrade is highly recommended for various reasons as stated in 1.01 description. Upgrade process is described here (don't forget to include 3rd party libraries scpi-parser and Ethernet2).

The firmware upgrade documentation was good and the actual process was painless.  It was easy to upgrade the firmware.   I noticed all the real hard work that went into the documentation.

I most likely will replace the binding posts with better ones this weekend. 

Let us know what you did. I had a hard time to found decent binding posts what is not too expensive and available via regular distributors. Take into account spacing between Front panel and PCB.

Yep.   You can never find a perfect anything in life. I just noticed that the existing binding posts don't have a hole for a wire, so I have ones that do.  The binding posts that I have are really nice, but the plastic shield does not twist off the metal post.  Also, no matching ground colour binding post. Again, nothing is perfect.  :-DD

Looking forward to future firmware updates.  Let's see were it takes us.

Firmware development will continue, list of open issues are available here (maybe your votes will speed up some of them), more will be added and of course all of you who have now a real unit to work with are invited to report "usability issues", bugs, possible improvements, etc.

I was reading through some of the list.  I did try and re-create one of the bugs but was unable.  The double audible sound on the profile saving.   Sounded fine to me. 

I did notice a bug with the power button down in the right hand corner for the power options. It beeps when you select it, then pops up the power menu with the various options to select.  If you hit the power button again, the menu disappears and there is no beep from hitting the power button. So it just missing the beep sound.

I would like to see more graphing options on the device LCD.   But there is limited space left on the Arduino.
I would also like see dedicated battery charging options and again graphs to show the charging cycle details. It might be just easier to code a front end python application for battery charging functions than using precise space on the Arduino.  Just some things I was thinking about while I was playing around with it.

EDIT: Feel free to test remote control (using USB or Ethernet) by exchanging SCPI commands too  :).

That's the next thing I'm going to play with. 

Offline P1rate7

« Reply #203 on: August 21, 2017, 02:20:31 am »
Mine showed up last week and I was going crazy looking for the missing screws!   Now I know that they don't exist and I can stop kicking myself for losing them.
I had a real fight with the firmware update.  Under windows 7 I had an Ethernet variable error problem and under windows 10 the same file set had a USB error associated with it.  I suspect it is OS related and just commented out the problem line and it worked just fine updating under Windows 7. I found that under the default 1.00 firmware that the coupling and trigger options were missing but once I updated to 1.01 all the options were available.
So far it has performed well and in the next few days I will start using it as my main bench supply. 
Thanks for all your hard work in this project.
Bradley

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2017, 02:43:06 am »
It would be very nice to have a pre-compiled .hex file on the github repository (or somewhere) for the updated  firmware so people don't have to fight the issues getting the firmware to compile.

The following users thanked this post: garnix

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #205 on: August 21, 2017, 07:16:23 am »
The firmware update took me about 15 minutes to complete.  Just download the firmware and download the two libraries and put them into the Arduino library folder.  Verify/compile and then upload.  That was it.  After loading firmware 1.01 I. Moved the USB cable from the programming USB port to the native USB port.

It was really easy.  I did my compile on a raspberry Pi. I did not get the above errors. Using version 1.8.3 and the nightly build.  Both worked fine.

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #206 on: August 21, 2017, 08:08:03 am »
I also started building my EEZ H24005 - very nice. I was surprised how small the packet was :-) packed very efficiently and clear!

I followed your instructions to start building the unit and it was easy to follow. I had a few areas where I had to slow down and turn on my brain because it was not 100% clear - but close ;)

• Earthing: It was not clear where the zagged washer goes: below earth-ring (for better contact with case) or below screw (to lock the screw) in other devices there are often two of them below and above - I settled to: between case and earth-ring from cable harness
  • Cables from power-supply to power-boards: Not sure where to route these - I settled to route them in between the slot of the two power-supplies
  • Ethernet patch cable: I was not sure on the orientation of the plug on the front panel. Until I discovered the marked dot on the circuit boards, so I made sure the colored cables matched them
  • I routed the cables from the back panel to the front panel and there is an instruction to strap it down with a lock tie. Not sure where and if strapping this IDX cable is a good idea ;) it looks like this might not be needed

The unit looks really nice - tomorrow I will finish the build.

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2017, 06:36:42 am »
My "gift to myself" appears to have stalled out at San Fran International.... USPS says it's left for Auckland NZ on the 17th while the NZPost Tracking Service reports on the 17th it remains in San Fran International. Interesting....

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #208 on: August 22, 2017, 07:01:38 am »
Yes, mine was in San Francisco for a week. It is in Sydney now, so only 2 more weeks  :P

Offline ballanux

• Contributor
« Reply #209 on: August 22, 2017, 01:12:21 pm »
Mine is currently waiting at customs office... I still haven't received a quotation but I'm afraid I will have to pay about 25% of the value  :'(

Offline mattlm

« Reply #210 on: August 22, 2017, 03:10:28 pm »
I received my unit yesterday and built it up tonight, the self test is failing with 'Fan failed'.

I have tested the fan and it works fine, thought I wasn't checking the sense line.
I have checked the 10 pin ribbon cable and it also seems fine.

I have not updated the firmware to version 1.01 yet.
I also haven't tried a different 3 pin fan yet.

Any advice?

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2017, 12:42:40 am »
My kit was delivered today. I assembled it this evening, powered it up and it passed its self test.
I updated the software by plugging a USB cable in the back USB socket of the PSU and uploaded version 1.01 without any problems. I performed the calibration with an ANENG 8008 meter and a 1 ohm 100W resistor.

I haven't tested the network port yet, but it all works so far expect for going into unregulated mode at low voltages under some conditions I assume this would be solved by changing R20 and R25 for 316K as per issue #42 on Github.

I noticed the operation of the encoder is a bit erratic when increasing the value slowly, sometimes it misses steps and sometimes it seems to jump an extra step. It works fine when reducing the value.

One thing that I think needs changing to provide better earthing to the front, back and top of the case.

Overall I a very impressed with the PSU, I know and can see how much work has gone into designing the PSU and getting this kit produced, prasimix has every reason to feel proud of himself.

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2017, 12:50:05 am »
I received my unit yesterday and built it up tonight, the self test is failing with 'Fan failed'.

I have tested the fan and it works fine, thought I wasn't checking the sense line.
I have checked the 10 pin ribbon cable and it also seems fine.

I have not updated the firmware to version 1.01 yet.
I also haven't tried a different 3 pin fan yet.

Any advice?

The fan should startup  for a second when the PSU is powered up, I assume for the self test. If it doesn't run on startup then you need to look and the fan drive part of the circuit.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2017, 01:05:30 am »
Mine arrived on monday, but no time to unpack yet... soooooooooooon.

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2017, 01:18:26 am »
I am sorry i late to see this thread, if something left please let me know I really proud to be the first and i hope only this PSU in Indonesia

Offline mattlm

« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2017, 01:25:44 am »

The fan should startup  for a second when the PSU is powered up, I assume for the self test. If it doesn't run on startup then you need to look and the fan drive part of the circuit.

Thanks, I definitely haven't seen it spin on startup.

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #216 on: August 24, 2017, 09:46:53 pm »
and mine SUDDENLY appeared yesterday morning.... a quick check and i am very impressed, even with the packing. You have my admiration and respect  Prasimix and team.... for what appears to be a really great product.

Might be able to have it completed today being Friday but i have a feeling that won't happen (because it's Friday)...

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #217 on: August 24, 2017, 11:36:25 pm »
Mine too. Anyone else get a bent top lid? No external box damage, but the corner was quite bent. I bent it back, it is ok, just a little different.

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2017, 08:53:16 am »
On mine there was still some protective plastic they forgot to remove. But they put the blue powder-coating over it and baked it like this  ;) So now the plastic is somehow fused to the metal/powder-mix.

But no big deal - I can add a “Warranty void if removed” sticker on top if that  :-DD to cover it.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:30 am »
I'm finally back from travel and assembled mine today, short two black screws which sounds like it's a known error.

Mine also has the same fan failure as mattlm, which I haven't tried troubleshooting (nor have I upgraded the firmware).

Unfortunately I stalled out during cal as the only 10A capable meter in the office lab seems to have the fuses blown (go figure), and my own fluke I keep as a spare was also acting odd on its 10A range, and of course by the time I figured that out and went to grab the backup, backup meter I had to rush off to something else. Going to bring in a shunt and a DC load tomorrow to give a better shot.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2017, 10:23:20 am »
If selftest reports fan failure you will not be in position to accomplish high range (0-5A) current calibration because firmware will automatically limit max. output current to 2A. You have to check what's wrong with fan. It could has e.g. wrongly assembled 3-wire cable or its +12 V power supply is not good.

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #221 on: September 12, 2017, 10:46:07 am »
Mine arrived on 28th of August. Put it together. Yeah 2 black screw issue. Fixed with own hardware. Compiled and updated firmware no issues to report this far. Great work.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #222 on: September 13, 2017, 12:07:13 pm »
If selftest reports fan failure you will not be in position to accomplish high range (0-5A) current calibration because firmware will automatically limit max. output current to 2A. You have to check what's wrong with fan. It could has e.g. wrongly assembled 3-wire cable or its +12 V power supply is not good.

That would certainly do it, perhaps a firmware request to refuse cal if fan failed? Didn't have time to dig into it today, possibly tomorrow.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #223 on: September 13, 2017, 03:18:44 pm »
Also, it would be nice to have PDF's of the schematic available as a non-Eagle user to help troubleshoot it.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2017, 05:49:16 pm »
Also, it would be nice to have PDF's of the schematic available as a non-Eagle user to help troubleshoot it.
Install eagle print to PDF and that's it

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #225 on: September 13, 2017, 06:48:04 pm »
I can't seem to be able to order one from crowdsupply, are they available to be bought?
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2017, 03:57:11 am »
Ok, some debugging later and I found what the fan issue was with my unit.

The fan was wired for the standard PC pinout (pin 2 hot, pin 1 cold, pin 3 sense), but the PSU has pin 1 hot. This particular fan will not run in reverse, once I swapped the hot & cold in the fan plug it started spinning.

Offline mattlm

« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2017, 07:26:22 am »

The fan was wired for the standard PC pinout (pin 2 hot, pin 1 cold, pin 3 sense), but the PSU has pin 1 hot. This particular fan will not run in reverse, once I swapped the hot & cold in the fan plug it started spinning.

Thanks for your debugging efforts, I haven't got back to my unit just yet, but I'm assuming that it probably has the same issue!

So it passed the self test with this fix?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2017, 09:37:55 am »
I did notice a bug with the power button down in the right hand corner for the power options. It beeps when you select it, then pops up the power menu with the various options to select.  If you hit the power button again, the menu disappears and there is no beep from hitting the power button. So it just missing the beep sound.

Please create for this one a new issue on GitHub here that Martin can follow up.

I would like to see more graphing options on the device LCD.   But there is limited space left on the Arduino.

You mean more "graphing" options a top of existing YT-view? (you can toggle main values on main page with gauge icon in the top right corner).

I would also like see dedicated battery charging options and again graphs to show the charging cycle details. It might be just easier to code a front end python application for battery charging functions than using precise space on the Arduino.  Just some things I was thinking about while I was playing around with it.

This is reported as #158. Without additional ADC inputs for monitoring single cell we cannot provide charging of new types of batteries. But, for old one such as Pb, NiCd and NiMH it could be usable. We need some guidelines for all charging phases. Even fast charging could be possible if 10K NTC input for battery temp monitoring is used.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2017, 09:46:13 am »
Ethernet patch cable: I was not sure on the orientation of the plug on the front panel. Until I discovered the marked dot on the circuit boards, so I made sure the colored cables matched them

Please take another look on Fig. 24 (bottom right corner).

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2017, 09:51:52 am »

You can download it from here (it's available on the bottom of Technology overview page too).

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2017, 09:57:02 am »
I can't seem to be able to order one from crowdsupply, are they available to be bought?

No it's not available. Crowd Supply announced that they are going to take care of second batch. For anything above that feel free to contact me by PM or email.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2017, 10:02:11 am »

Good, that's why is important to check ALL wiring (that include also e.g. 10-pin IDC cable [A1] orientation!) before you start assembling (as suggested in Before you start section).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:12:13 am by prasimix »

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #233 on: September 15, 2017, 12:09:13 pm »
I was just playing the other day and found. In parallel mode ie 40V 10A the OPP trips at 155W even if the value is set to 310W. Is this a known bug?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #234 on: September 15, 2017, 01:23:41 pm »
Hm, it could be connected to #62, but it's "masked" with OCP trip when OCP is enabled. I tried my PSU (with firmware v1.01) and didn't find anything strange. Vout is set to 33 V, and Iout to 8 A.

Please let me know what is your output settings? For example you cannot set Vout to 40 V and Iout to 10 A because that is 400 W and fimware will report an error.

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #235 on: September 15, 2017, 02:53:46 pm »
This is the unit power up with 310W dialled in. I get the error message no problem.ie can not set beyond 310W.

First photo is No load. CH2 shows it's in CC and the current shows it's set to 5A, although set to 10A.

Second photo with a load it will go up to 10A, as per setting. However shows only 5A no load but delivered 10A. As per setting.
Is this normal?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:59:44 pm by Strada916 »

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #236 on: September 15, 2017, 03:24:22 pm »
Second photo with a load it will go up to 10A, as per setting. However shows only 5A no load but delivered 10A. As per setting.
Is this normal?

Yes, that's normal, of better to say works as expected :). Please note that new set value (5.001 A) is displayed in different color. That's indication that firmware is doing output balancing because no load is connected. It's a trick needed because channels even nicely calibrated do not have exact output voltage: a few mV is enough that one channel start to sinking current/power due to that difference. And channel indeed can do that up to ~300 mA since it has downprogrammer circuit. Q7 has very limited heatsink and its dissipation is limited by firmware to 1 W. If dissipation became more then 1 W for 5 or more seconds, firmware will start to limit a current and you can see that on the display. It's a bit confusing, and maybe we would do it in other way, but so far it's tested and works just fine.
Similarly, when outputs are coupled in series, you can see that set voltage is reducing but this time with load connected.

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #237 on: September 15, 2017, 03:29:11 pm »
Is this normal?

Yes, that's normal, of better to say works as expected :). Please note that new set value (5.001 A) is displayed in different color. That's indication that firmware is doing output balancing because no load is connected. It's a trick needed because channels even nicely calibrated do not have exact output voltage: a few mV is enough that one channel start to sinking current/power due to that difference. And channel indeed can do that up to ~300 mA since it has downprogrammer circuit. Q7 has very limited heatsink and its dissipation is limited by firmware to 1 W. If dissipation became more then 1 W for 5 or more seconds, firmware will start to limit a current and you can see that on the display. It's a bit confusing, and maybe we would do it in other way, but so far it's tested and works just fine.
Similarly, when outputs are coupled in series, you can see that set voltage is reducing but this time with load connected.
Ok that clears things.
Thank you. Blowing resistor left right and centre. LoL. Fun Fun Fun.

Thank you Prasimix.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #238 on: September 15, 2017, 03:31:27 pm »
I forgot to mention that you can see how output coupling works in this video (that is an older firmware but the principle is remaining the same):

]

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #239 on: September 15, 2017, 03:47:56 pm »
I forgot to mention that you can see how output coupling works in this video (that is an older firmware but the principle is remaining the same):

]
Thank you.

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #240 on: September 17, 2017, 03:51:50 am »
This PSU is absolutely fantastic!!!!!  I never knew having a PSU with a great display and real working Ethernet could be so much fun.   

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #241 on: September 17, 2017, 09:53:49 am »
Very nice PSU. Putting it together was pretty straightforward with some small exceptions on crew-hole alignment. Programming to v1.01 went pretty smooth (via my iMac). During calibration it's not immediately clear that only entering the SET button the change is applied on the outputs. (I've blown also one fuse moving from 450mA to the 2.4250A calibration mode..... ) PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE YOUR DMM inputs then. Not in possession of a 6.5+ high accuracy DMM I've used my trusted BM869s to do this. I've noticed that Channel 1 calibration values for mV is deviating a lot from Channel 2. Lastly after calibration both channels deviate +1 and -1 mV on the volt range upon to 10V or so. Meaning the same DMM 896s measures then a -1 mV on Channel 1 and a +1mV on Channel 2. I've recalibrated 3 times but with same results. Anybody any suggestion or comment what I'm doing wrong or perhaps a confirmation that this is all well within spec perhaps?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #242 on: September 17, 2017, 10:17:00 am »
It's fine that you have a +/-1 mV after calibration. Used ADC has only 15-bit resolution that gives you over a full range (40 V) max. precision of 40 / 32768 = 1.2 mV what is not enough for mV precision. Anyway the planned resolution for this PSU was just 10 mV.

Also please note that mV precision does not make a lot of sense when load is connected and without carefully wiring of remote sensing inputs. The internal resistance between point where voltage sense is connected and output terminals is above 20 miliohms. Therefore voltage drop on e.g. 2.5 A will be 50 mV. I've reported that as #67, and maybe we could add that output "adjustment" as suggested.

The following users thanked this post: ChrisG

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #243 on: September 17, 2017, 10:27:04 am »
Thanks Prasimix! Clear explanation. I was not having any load attached (apart from the DMM 869s). I'll read note #67 too now. Again many thanks for providing such a nice and affordable PSU.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Last bare PCb sets
« Reply #244 on: December 20, 2017, 09:26:22 am »
Just a quick note: all leftovers gone except 6 sets of bare PCBs (r5B12 that is used for this group buy). Please contact me by PM or email if you eventually need them (spare parts, building from scratch, whatever).

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2018, 03:57:17 pm »

No it's not available. Crowd Supply announced that they are going to take care of second batch. For anything above that feel free to contact me by PM or email.
Thinking to get a level C, but no update on crowdsupply so far.  Any news? 

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2018, 04:02:17 pm »

Thinking to get a level C, but no update on crowdsupply so far.  Any news?

Not really, and don't have any clue what Crowd Supply is going to do.

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2018, 10:37:21 am »
I must be doing something wrong with the firmware updating.   When I download the scpi-parser zipfile from GITHUB and try to load it in Arduino IDE.   It keeps saying that the library is invalid?   

I'm grabbing it from here...
https://github.com/eez-open/scpi-parser

I even tried just a git clone of it and copy it into the libraries folder for the Arduino IDE.   The ethernet library is perfectly fine downloading the zipfile and importing.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2018, 11:23:48 am »
Are you using v1.02 that is the latest released version?

EDIT: please note that SCPI parser is not integral part of the firmware (check this folder).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:27:49 am by prasimix »

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #249 on: February 28, 2018, 01:35:28 am »
Did a git pull from master.  I fixed the problem.  I copied from the libraries folder to the Arduino library folder.  It worked after that.   I was trying to download the zip files and put them into the Arduino library folder.
The firmware from the git pull is v1.1
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:53:38 am by Dwaine »

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #250 on: February 28, 2018, 02:02:45 am »
I did they samething. Blew the fuse while doing the calibration.  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf