Author Topic: Preparing EEZ H24005 for crowdfunding  (Read 82163 times)

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Preparing EEZ H24005 for crowdfunding
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2017, 08:13:55 pm »
One full kit ordered. 

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, julianhigginson

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2017, 09:56:09 pm »
In for a penny. One full kit ordered - with my best wishes for a commercial success.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, julianhigginson

Offline prasimixTopic starter

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2017, 10:42:31 pm »
Gosh - over 100k and 300+ units. Great job.

How much would a replacement front panel cost (100 or 200 quantity)? I suspect not much.

That's right, possibly less or equal to shipping cost :). More expensive is display itself and buying and mounting SD socket + Audio amp.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2017, 09:08:28 am »
Crowdfunding campaign exceeded all our expectations!
Massive thanks once again to all supporters, many thanks to Dave for this forum that I probably need to "blame" on the first place why so many people joined us since as you a probably noticed I didn't use any of suggested "marketing/propaganda tools" that many holds that are indispensable and even more important then product itself. A great share goes to CrowdSupply and their reputation especially when open source project are in question. Finally it's a invaluable experience to see that people recognize openness that I hold that is an evolutionary (not revolutionary!) step that require more creativity and energy but could take us (slowly but surely) to the position that is hard to imagine from the established (protective and secretive, "we against you", etc.) mindset that many think or wants to think because they are afraid (or refuse) to think otherwise that is only possible way to move forward.

I'll continue to do my best to keep you informed now not only about what's happening on the development side but also how fulfillment is progressing.

For number lovers I put into attachment only statistic that I have so far, maybe that could give some of you idea about expected audience if decide to run similar type of campaign in the future. Feel free to contact me or discuss here about other campaign related details that you think that could helps you and others in some way.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2017, 09:09:22 am »
Or some 3D printed adapter/bezel to fit either the 3.2" and 3.5" screen.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2017, 09:12:16 am »
Or some 3D printed adapter/bezel to fit either the 3.2" and 3.5" screen.

Yup, something like that: a bigger hole for 3.5" display that can carry two different adapters. Huh, maybe someone with knowledge of 3D modeling will jump in soon with some proposal :)

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2017, 09:22:38 am »
Yup, something like that: a bigger hole for 3.5" display that can carry two different adapters. Huh, maybe someone with knowledge of 3D modeling will jump in soon with some proposal :)

I will give it a try - I just have to familiarise myself on how the display is currently mounted, but I guess I can take a look at your internals-pictures on GitHub&envox.hr/eez

Normally I use OpenSCAD ( http://www.openscad.org ) for such work, as it is completely parameterisable and can easily adapted afterward. And is OpenSource.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2017, 09:26:43 am »
Thanks. I suggest that we continue with discussion about details on the main project thread here. In the meantime take a look at this DXF file. Mind the space between display and encoder knob.

Offline Rypht

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2017, 05:03:32 am »
Grats on breaking $120k!   One hell of a last minute showing.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Few pictures...
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2017, 07:08:59 am »
Just to share with you a few pictures with parts that starts to pile up on my side consuming all my working and storage space:

The following users thanked this post: Kean, garnix, Aigor

Offline matemathieu

• Contributor
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2017, 08:51:27 pm »
Damn, I missed your campaign!
Is there any way I can get one of those?

Offline phuebner

« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2017, 09:02:53 pm »
Yes I would also be interested in this option. Alternatively it would be also great if I could get my hands on an enclosure and a pcb panel. I don't mind soldering the boards my self.

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2017, 09:22:25 pm »
You can still order it from the CrowdSupply page https://www.crowdsupply.com/envox/eez-h24005

CrowdSupply works differently than Kickstarter: After the campaign, the status of the product changes to "Buy" so you just miss out of the crowd funding special pricing, but you also have less risk.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2017, 09:50:08 pm »
Dozen of bare PCBs (sets of four) should remain after campaign fulfillment ends. The complete kit was available thru so-called pre-order period until few days ago when we reached first batch of 300 units reserved for CrowdSupply backers. Unfortunately pre-order period is now closed. You can sign up on CrowdSupply if something happen, but now with all stuff added thanks to reached three stretch goals the cost of production is such that another at least 100 units have to be ordered in very short time to insure break-even on the next batch. It should be possible that smaller number of customized enclosures (with mounting rails and heatsinks) can be ordered from Varisom (min. 20 units), but again the price will be much higher the before (in range of 60 EUR without VAT).

Anyway, @matemathieu, @phuebner if you are interesting in bare PCBs contact me by PM or email that I can keep you updated about availability.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
More stuff...
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2017, 10:24:23 am »
More stuff arrived this week, namely Ethernet patch cables, metal enclosures from Varisom and Mean Well AC/DC power modules via JIANG Technology (China). All what I had a chance to check so far looks fine. One exception are heatsink's U-profiles. I'm little bit disappointed because it's not cleaned and didn't come with surface finish as . I hope that will not be a problem for most of you since heatsinks are not visible form outside.

Front panels:

... rear panels:

... TFT display mounting rails:

... AC/DC power modules:

Now only a "small" detail is missing: assembled PCB modules from ITEAD that we can build a complete kit. But, first 10 sets were sent yesterday and should be here next week. If they are assembled correctly I can give them a "green light" to proceed with production.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Working on kit bundles...
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2017, 10:38:46 am »
We (two friends and I) also started working on kit bundles. Here is picture of assembled heatsinks and parts for mounting AC/DC modules:

... and assembled front and rear panels without PCB modules (Arduino shield r5B12 and AUX PS module r5B12a) looks like this:

... and here is the picture of initial front panel and modified one thanks to stretch goal #1:

As you can see, encoder knob is added, protective earth binding post is moved, that is also case with TFT display and reset hole position. Push-in connector on Ch2 side now also carry optocoupled and fuse protected digital output (DOUT1). A new enclosure also comes with more elegant handles.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:37:59 am by prasimix »

The following users thanked this post: Kean, julianhigginson

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2017, 08:07:23 pm »
Hey Prasimix,   I know you've closed orders, but is there any chance of  just doing the mechanical bits?
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2017, 05:00:14 am »
looks awesome! can't wait to get mine.
I suspect there will be lots of pretty good bench supplies showing up on the for sale forum here once these ship.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2017, 06:41:15 am »
@mrpackethead: I don't know at the moment. Minimum order is 20 sets (i.e. enclosure, heatsinks and mounting rails) but price that I got is about 50% higher for such small quantity.   

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

• Supporter
    • EEZ
What you see is what you (will) get ...
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2017, 01:15:44 pm »
Few more pictures now when test batch of assembled PCBs arrived from ITEAD two days ago.

Backers of complete kit should receive something like this:

• Main cardboard box with additional envelope/enforcement
  • Cardboard box for two AC/DC modules and fuses (not visible)
  • Cardboard box for two Power boards
  • Top and bottom plates (without protective plastic bag)
  • Handles, AC/DC modules mounting rail, wiring and nuts and bolts (in various plastic bags)
  • Cardboard box for front panel with installed Arduino Shield board, Arduino Due and 3.2" TFT touchscreen display
  • Cardboard box for rear panel with installed AUX power module, AC inlet and cooling fan
... packed all together:

The following users thanked this post: frenky, Kean, timgiles, peteb2, julianhigginson

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2017, 05:16:39 pm »
Wow! Awsome job to all those involved.

For those of us waiting for the PCBs so we can make up our own boards, are the Github files (BOMs etc..) maching these 'production' boards?  I would love to start ordering some of the parts.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2017, 12:16:19 pm »
Wow! Awsome job to all those involved.

For those of us waiting for the PCBs so we can make up our own boards, are the Github files (BOMs etc..) maching these 'production' boards?  I would love to start ordering some of the parts.

A new hardware release EEZ PSU H24005 (r5B12) is published today that match production boards. Use accompanied BOM, building instructions, etc. for assembly. Also Firmware M5 is now available required for r5B12 boards.

The following users thanked this post: timgiles, Aigor

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2017, 05:46:23 am »
Given that there is no more of these to be bought, is anyone else interested in getting some made.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Kit assembly instructions
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2017, 11:49:23 am »
I finished all work needed that when assembled PCB modules arrives they can be tested and assembled (i.e. Arduino Shield on the enclosure's front panel and AUX power module on rear panel). A last couple of days I spent to make a first draft of Complete kit assembly instructions. Please let me know if such format make sense to you.

ITEAD told me that PCB modules assembly should be finished until June, 8th. A slightly longer that what I expected. Hopefully everything that come will not require a lot of additional attention and that final packaging and shipment will follow soon.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
Re: Kit assembly instructions
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2017, 09:23:19 pm »
A last couple of days I spent to make a first draft of Complete kit assembly instructions. Please let me know if such format make sense to you.

I read through the instructions and thought they were very good.  I liked the fact you had a lot of photos of the parts and how they should fit together.  I don't expect I will have any trouble building my kit when it arrives.
One good thing about this - I realized I need to dig out an IEC mains cable from my store as the unit does not ship with one.

Iain

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf