Author Topic: Preparing EEZ H24005 for crowdfunding  (Read 82192 times)

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Preparing EEZ H24005 for crowdfunding
« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2017, 12:56:57 pm »
Mine is still in transit. Left San Fran this afternoon. Should be in Sydney Monday. Then a week to get to WA (western australia aka wait awhile)

Sent from my SM-A520K using Tapatalk

The Bone, the Off-White, the Ivory or the Beige?

Offline stevendpclark

« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2017, 08:37:35 pm »
Built mine up today, packaging was very good and the assembly instructions for the full kit were very easy to follow! Thanks prasimix for all your efforts it really is a beautiful unit  :-+ Can't wait to start using it for real project work!

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #202 on: August 19, 2017, 10:36:59 pm »
After building it, do a firmware upgrade to version 1.01.

Good, firmware upgrade is highly recommended for various reasons as stated in 1.01 description. Upgrade process is described here (don't forget to include 3rd party libraries scpi-parser and Ethernet2).

The firmware upgrade documentation was good and the actual process was painless.  It was easy to upgrade the firmware.   I noticed all the real hard work that went into the documentation.

I most likely will replace the binding posts with better ones this weekend. 

Let us know what you did. I had a hard time to found decent binding posts what is not too expensive and available via regular distributors. Take into account spacing between Front panel and PCB.

Yep.   You can never find a perfect anything in life. I just noticed that the existing binding posts don't have a hole for a wire, so I have ones that do.  The binding posts that I have are really nice, but the plastic shield does not twist off the metal post.  Also, no matching ground colour binding post. Again, nothing is perfect.  :-DD

Looking forward to future firmware updates.  Let's see were it takes us.

Firmware development will continue, list of open issues are available here (maybe your votes will speed up some of them), more will be added and of course all of you who have now a real unit to work with are invited to report "usability issues", bugs, possible improvements, etc.

I was reading through some of the list.  I did try and re-create one of the bugs but was unable.  The double audible sound on the profile saving.   Sounded fine to me. 

I did notice a bug with the power button down in the right hand corner for the power options. It beeps when you select it, then pops up the power menu with the various options to select.  If you hit the power button again, the menu disappears and there is no beep from hitting the power button. So it just missing the beep sound.

I would like to see more graphing options on the device LCD.   But there is limited space left on the Arduino.
I would also like see dedicated battery charging options and again graphs to show the charging cycle details. It might be just easier to code a front end python application for battery charging functions than using precise space on the Arduino.  Just some things I was thinking about while I was playing around with it.

EDIT: Feel free to test remote control (using USB or Ethernet) by exchanging SCPI commands too  :).

That's the next thing I'm going to play with. 

Offline P1rate7

« Reply #203 on: August 21, 2017, 02:20:31 am »
Mine showed up last week and I was going crazy looking for the missing screws!   Now I know that they don't exist and I can stop kicking myself for losing them.
I had a real fight with the firmware update.  Under windows 7 I had an Ethernet variable error problem and under windows 10 the same file set had a USB error associated with it.  I suspect it is OS related and just commented out the problem line and it worked just fine updating under Windows 7. I found that under the default 1.00 firmware that the coupling and trigger options were missing but once I updated to 1.01 all the options were available.
So far it has performed well and in the next few days I will start using it as my main bench supply. 
Thanks for all your hard work in this project.
Bradley

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2017, 02:43:06 am »
It would be very nice to have a pre-compiled .hex file on the github repository (or somewhere) for the updated  firmware so people don't have to fight the issues getting the firmware to compile.

The following users thanked this post: garnix

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #205 on: August 21, 2017, 07:16:23 am »
The firmware update took me about 15 minutes to complete.  Just download the firmware and download the two libraries and put them into the Arduino library folder.  Verify/compile and then upload.  That was it.  After loading firmware 1.01 I. Moved the USB cable from the programming USB port to the native USB port.

It was really easy.  I did my compile on a raspberry Pi. I did not get the above errors. Using version 1.8.3 and the nightly build.  Both worked fine.

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #206 on: August 21, 2017, 08:08:03 am »
I also started building my EEZ H24005 - very nice. I was surprised how small the packet was :-) packed very efficiently and clear!

I followed your instructions to start building the unit and it was easy to follow. I had a few areas where I had to slow down and turn on my brain because it was not 100% clear - but close ;)

• Earthing: It was not clear where the zagged washer goes: below earth-ring (for better contact with case) or below screw (to lock the screw) in other devices there are often two of them below and above - I settled to: between case and earth-ring from cable harness
  • Cables from power-supply to power-boards: Not sure where to route these - I settled to route them in between the slot of the two power-supplies
  • Ethernet patch cable: I was not sure on the orientation of the plug on the front panel. Until I discovered the marked dot on the circuit boards, so I made sure the colored cables matched them
  • I routed the cables from the back panel to the front panel and there is an instruction to strap it down with a lock tie. Not sure where and if strapping this IDX cable is a good idea ;) it looks like this might not be needed

The unit looks really nice - tomorrow I will finish the build.

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2017, 06:36:42 am »
My "gift to myself" appears to have stalled out at San Fran International.... USPS says it's left for Auckland NZ on the 17th while the NZPost Tracking Service reports on the 17th it remains in San Fran International. Interesting....

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #208 on: August 22, 2017, 07:01:38 am »
Yes, mine was in San Francisco for a week. It is in Sydney now, so only 2 more weeks  :P

Offline ballanux

• Contributor
« Reply #209 on: August 22, 2017, 01:12:21 pm »
Mine is currently waiting at customs office... I still haven't received a quotation but I'm afraid I will have to pay about 25% of the value  :'(

Offline mattlm

« Reply #210 on: August 22, 2017, 03:10:28 pm »
I received my unit yesterday and built it up tonight, the self test is failing with 'Fan failed'.

I have tested the fan and it works fine, thought I wasn't checking the sense line.
I have checked the 10 pin ribbon cable and it also seems fine.

I have not updated the firmware to version 1.01 yet.
I also haven't tried a different 3 pin fan yet.

Any advice?

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2017, 12:42:40 am »
My kit was delivered today. I assembled it this evening, powered it up and it passed its self test.
I updated the software by plugging a USB cable in the back USB socket of the PSU and uploaded version 1.01 without any problems. I performed the calibration with an ANENG 8008 meter and a 1 ohm 100W resistor.

I haven't tested the network port yet, but it all works so far expect for going into unregulated mode at low voltages under some conditions I assume this would be solved by changing R20 and R25 for 316K as per issue #42 on Github.

I noticed the operation of the encoder is a bit erratic when increasing the value slowly, sometimes it misses steps and sometimes it seems to jump an extra step. It works fine when reducing the value.

One thing that I think needs changing to provide better earthing to the front, back and top of the case.

Overall I a very impressed with the PSU, I know and can see how much work has gone into designing the PSU and getting this kit produced, prasimix has every reason to feel proud of himself.

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2017, 12:50:05 am »
I received my unit yesterday and built it up tonight, the self test is failing with 'Fan failed'.

I have tested the fan and it works fine, thought I wasn't checking the sense line.
I have checked the 10 pin ribbon cable and it also seems fine.

I have not updated the firmware to version 1.01 yet.
I also haven't tried a different 3 pin fan yet.

Any advice?

The fan should startup  for a second when the PSU is powered up, I assume for the self test. If it doesn't run on startup then you need to look and the fan drive part of the circuit.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2017, 01:05:30 am »
Mine arrived on monday, but no time to unpack yet... soooooooooooon.

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2017, 01:18:26 am »
I am sorry i late to see this thread, if something left please let me know I really proud to be the first and i hope only this PSU in Indonesia

Offline mattlm

« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2017, 01:25:44 am »

The fan should startup  for a second when the PSU is powered up, I assume for the self test. If it doesn't run on startup then you need to look and the fan drive part of the circuit.

Thanks, I definitely haven't seen it spin on startup.

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #216 on: August 24, 2017, 09:46:53 pm »
and mine SUDDENLY appeared yesterday morning.... a quick check and i am very impressed, even with the packing. You have my admiration and respect  Prasimix and team.... for what appears to be a really great product.

Might be able to have it completed today being Friday but i have a feeling that won't happen (because it's Friday)...

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #217 on: August 24, 2017, 11:36:25 pm »
Mine too. Anyone else get a bent top lid? No external box damage, but the corner was quite bent. I bent it back, it is ok, just a little different.

Offline garnix

• Contributor
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2017, 08:53:16 am »
On mine there was still some protective plastic they forgot to remove. But they put the blue powder-coating over it and baked it like this  ;) So now the plastic is somehow fused to the metal/powder-mix.

But no big deal - I can add a “Warranty void if removed” sticker on top if that  :-DD to cover it.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:30 am »
I'm finally back from travel and assembled mine today, short two black screws which sounds like it's a known error.

Mine also has the same fan failure as mattlm, which I haven't tried troubleshooting (nor have I upgraded the firmware).

Unfortunately I stalled out during cal as the only 10A capable meter in the office lab seems to have the fuses blown (go figure), and my own fluke I keep as a spare was also acting odd on its 10A range, and of course by the time I figured that out and went to grab the backup, backup meter I had to rush off to something else. Going to bring in a shunt and a DC load tomorrow to give a better shot.

Offline prasimixTopic starter

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2017, 10:23:20 am »
If selftest reports fan failure you will not be in position to accomplish high range (0-5A) current calibration because firmware will automatically limit max. output current to 2A. You have to check what's wrong with fan. It could has e.g. wrongly assembled 3-wire cable or its +12 V power supply is not good.

Offline Strada916

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #221 on: September 12, 2017, 10:46:07 am »
Mine arrived on 28th of August. Put it together. Yeah 2 black screw issue. Fixed with own hardware. Compiled and updated firmware no issues to report this far. Great work.

Sent from my SM-A520K using Tapatalk

The Bone, the Off-White, the Ivory or the Beige?

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #222 on: September 13, 2017, 12:07:13 pm »
If selftest reports fan failure you will not be in position to accomplish high range (0-5A) current calibration because firmware will automatically limit max. output current to 2A. You have to check what's wrong with fan. It could has e.g. wrongly assembled 3-wire cable or its +12 V power supply is not good.

That would certainly do it, perhaps a firmware request to refuse cal if fan failed? Didn't have time to dig into it today, possibly tomorrow.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #223 on: September 13, 2017, 03:18:44 pm »
Also, it would be nice to have PDF's of the schematic available as a non-Eagle user to help troubleshoot it.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2017, 05:49:16 pm »
Also, it would be nice to have PDF's of the schematic available as a non-Eagle user to help troubleshoot it.
Install eagle print to PDF and that's it

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf