Author Topic: Rainforest Connection  (Read 1922 times)

Offline vargoalTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rainforest Connection
« on: January 29, 2015, 11:22:58 pm »
Hi EEVBlog Community,

This kickstarter campaign is already over and I don't think it's a scam but I wanted to get your opinions on the device they created, specifically if you think recycled phones were the best way to go. I feel like it would have been better to use a custom circuit because I feel it could use less power and require less solar panels which is what brings the overall cost up the most. I am just a beginner in the world of electronics so I thought I would get your opinions on the issue.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/topherwhite/rainforest-connection-phones-turned-to-forest-guar

Offline AndreasF

• Frequent Contributor
    • mind-dump.net
Re: Rainforest Connection
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:12:36 am »
It's probably easier (and therefore much cheaper) for them to develop what is essentially just a solar based charger for mobile phones (which is proven and tested technology) than to develop, test and build their own radio device.
my random ramblings mind-dump.net

Offline CanadianAvenger

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rainforest Connection
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 03:28:50 pm »
not to mention getting said radio/cellular device certified and approved for use on a network.

Given the vein of the project, I'm sure there is also some "green" thinking involved here to divert e-waste from the landfill and give it a new life.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf