Author Topic: Re:Load Pro: A DC active load  (Read 7373 times)

Offline wizzyTopic starter

• Contributor
Re:Load Pro: A DC active load
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:19:52 am »
Hi,

I've had the Revision 2, the previous version, for a while now and it has come in handy at work. I've used it primarily to load up supplies to see if they are causing intermittent problems under load.

Everything you need to know is in the kickstarter link. The project is also completely opensource.

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nickjohnson/re-load-pro-a-dc-active-load
Previous version: https://www.tindie.com/products/arachnidlabs/reload-the-simple-robust-affordable-dummy-load/
Github repo: https://github.com/arachnidlabs/reload-pro/tree/master/tools

What do you guys think about it? He seems pretty receptive to feedback on the Kickstarter.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 01:47:32 pm »
My 2c...

It looks like a nice project, no doubt. 

However... I recently picked up a Maynuo M9710 150W, 150V, 30A eload from China for just under $200AUD, or a bit less than that in USD.

This is the Chinese version of the BK precision 8500 and all the other loads that are rebadged.  It's a nice commercial eload with decent specs.  In short, there's a world of difference between this mass produced commercial offering and what is being offered under the kickstarter.  Yet at just ~$200 + Postage, I just don't see enough monetary difference to go for this much lesser product.

Like a lot of kickstarters, I just think they're targeting a market that already has offerings with almost no margin in it.

Offline jabramo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 04:02:33 pm »
The Maynuo M9710 load retails for $350+ while the re:load is 110 USD that's a big difference in cost.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 05:17:19 pm »
Agreed. Where did you get the load for under 200 AUD anyway? Do they ship internationally? If not it's not really comparable.

Offline wizzyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 11:04:23 pm »
This is definitely a hobbiest item. Though it would hold its own to direct comparisons.

I like the fact that it is completely open source, if i don't like the interface or want to add new modes that is available.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 01:20:22 am »
Agreed. Where did you get the load for under 200 AUD anyway? Do they ship internationally? If not it's not really comparable.

I bought it in personally in Shenzhen from a bricks and mortar store.

However they go for less than that on Taobao.

Yes fair enough if you have to pay Aliexpress prices, and hence have to pay the $100USD to make it worthwhile for the seller, then another $50USD for express postage that has another layer of markup on it.  If you have a few things you want to buy and go though a Taobao agent there's significant cost savings to be had over the ebay/aliexpress pricing.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 01:55:16 am »
I just did a quick search on taobao, 1100CNY the the M9710 are going for + 12CNY for domestic shipping.

I put that into freeshoppingchina agent website with EMS shipping.  Total cost estimate including agent fees and shipping is 1532.2CNY, which translates to $246.17USD according to google.

Sure it's over double the cost of the Re:Load Pro.  No it's not a fair comparison.  But I never said it was a comparison, what I said is there's not enough cost difference it in for me to want to buy a lesser product.  I'd much rather shell out the extra $130USD and get the M9710.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:58:19 am »
Where's the originality in these things... How about a multi-channel e-load? Most power supplies I want to characterise have more than one output

Offline Christopher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 08:32:58 pm »
Tiny output power. And what made you choose the internal opamp of that chip?  :o

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 08:36:22 pm »
You know, one thing that puts me off open sourcing some of my stuff is not that it is proprietary per se, or contains trade secrets or any of that stuff, but that the tiniest detail will be ripped apart by armchair hindsighters who couldn't be arsed to do a proper job first.

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 09:52:13 pm »
The Maynuo M9710 load retails for $350+

The one for the chinese market only, with a "high repair rate" and with no warranty?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:53:56 pm by mcinque »

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 12:22:49 am »
The one for the chinese market only, with a "high repair rate" and with no warranty?

Yes, that's right.  I assume anything I buy from OS has no warranty.  Unless there's a local B&M shop I can drop it into the postage is usually prohibitive to return and get it sent back.  Almost always in the warranty clauses is some part about them not covering postage costs.  It's a risk thing just like buying an extended warranty, in this case it's just buying cheaper with no warranty at all.

In these cases I also consider whether I would have a fair crack at repairing it if it did fail.  For something like this it's a pretty resounding yes, for something like an iPad forget it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf