Author Topic: Shaving with laser?  (Read 108584 times)

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
Re: Shaving with laser?
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2015, 09:09:53 pm »
I think that it the same fiber stretched across a plastic model. Not power by it self.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2015, 10:46:49 am »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2015, 11:13:40 am »
I've been using the same wet shave BIC disposable razor (the really cheap one shave jobs) for the last nine months. Still shaves OK. Bought a pack of 20 for a quid at Tesco's. Still have nineteen of 'em left which ought to last me until I peg it or I need to buy another pack of 20. I doubt this laser doofus will ever compete. EVER!

Filing this crapola under another pointless first world bullshit product that nobody really needs. This planet is fucked up enough already  ::)

Same problem, just I use them for a month and drop them in a bin. Still have a dozen or so left from the last bulk buy, a few years ago. Can't remember how much I paid, but the price must have been low that I stocked up with the blue Bic ones. I did use a "free" 5 blade Gillette that was offered with Popular Mechanics, but never bought spare blades for it, just used the 5 pack it came with. Must admit it did cut nicely, but I can buy the same 5 blade razor as disposable for less than half the price, and it lasts just as long. Just buy a jar ( not a spray can, the jar with solid white cream inside) of prep, and use a tiny amount to make a thin layer before shaving, and it works very well with the disposables.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2015, 11:31:53 am »
Some good comments... And actually what seems like some responses from Skarp (if we are to believe it is them)

I can verify it is them. They are using legit comany email address

Offline kalleboo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2015, 03:25:39 pm »
New video,

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/assets/004/651/986/9fb532290d7db7537d4d35c9a9591f91_h264_high.mp4
Another unconvincing demo... For the steel razor they pushed against all hairs at once. For the laser razor, they went one hair at a time right away...

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2015, 10:29:48 pm »
I've been using the same wet shave BIC disposable razor (the really cheap one shave jobs) for the last nine months. Still shaves OK. Bought a pack of 20 for a quid at Tesco's. Still have nineteen of 'em left which ought to last me until I peg it or I need to buy another pack of 20. I doubt this laser doofus will ever compete. EVER!

Filing this crapola under another pointless first world bullshit product that nobody really needs. This planet is fucked up enough already  ::)
I've also had great luck with those cheap razors. Those who go through razors a lot or keep cutting themselves are using too much pressure.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2015, 12:43:04 pm »
New video,

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/assets/004/651/986/9fb532290d7db7537d4d35c9a9591f91_h264_high.mp4
Another unconvincing demo... For the steel razor they pushed against all hairs at once. For the laser razor, they went one hair at a time right away...

It's fairly convincing in terms of the stated underlying theory IMO.  No visible smoke, and it gets through the hairs pretty quickly with minimal force.   Even one hair at a time with a razor blade would require a reasonable amount of pressure unless you slide the blade.  However, what it doesn't demonstrate is how well this will work on short, thick hairs that must be cut close to the skin, and I suspect this is where they are going to have problems.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2015, 01:21:39 am »
I have been using those 5-blade Mach vibrating ones and even after months it still gives a clean shave, both face and head to a glossy finish. I always shave in the shower and have soap to ensure things glide easily. Even those AAA batteries powering the vibration motor last forever.

Yeah... I give them credit for trying. But I'll sit this one out. Let those backers be the Guinea pigs.

On the other hand, we may find some hack for this that makes it practical for some other application for a fraction of the price. Then you could buy it and bust it apart to use for the other reasons.

By the way, I have one of these and it does cut. But I still use a stainless steel blade for 99% of my work because it is faster and cheaper:

http://www.biolase.com/products/ilase/

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:36:27 am by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Gromitt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2015, 09:38:14 am »
It's in a newspaper in Sweden to, Göteborgs-Posten http://www.gp.se/ekonomi/1.2859322-svenska-laserrakhyveln-skarp-ar-en-smashhit has an article Saturday about the inventor Morgan Gustavsson, who is from Sweden. Btw, 'skarp' is sharp in swedish.

Offline Ashish3

« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2015, 11:45:46 pm »
Long time reader and podcast listener. Have been following all hot eevblog discussions. Just registered to post that Skarp funding was suspended half an hour ago by kickstarter. I was hoping they would be funded, deliver and Dave and others would be tearing it down and testing.   :(

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2015, 12:23:18 am »
Suspended...
So apart from why... I wonder how much of the KS money (that they no longer have) has already been spent.
Im sure it is nowhere near $4m, but they could still already have spent a substantial amount (on top of their previous development costs) based on the expected big funding.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2015, 12:38:30 am »
So apparently it was suspended due to lack of a working prototype - per this image posted on Reddit

I'm sure KS was in touch with the Skarp creator to give them a chance to explain before suspension, but I think it clear certain KS T&Cs had been violated.
They did appear to show lasers cutting strands of hair, which is beleiveable albeit with much more powerful lasers than I'd like to be pointing near my face.
But they clearly did NOT show something capable of giving a close shave, let alone one that uses eye safe lasers, and could be delivered in the form shown.

So despite the fact I didn't believe they could deliver, and that I do agree with the suspension, it does raise the issue of what KS consider to be a working prototype.
Prototypes often just show the proof of concept, and don't always have all the details ironed out.
Generally the crowd would then critically evaluate the campaign, which is where the unmoderated comments of KS are invaluable to people who bother to read them.

Discuss.  >:D

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2015, 12:39:44 am »
Oh, and how soon can we expect to see Skarp on IGG?   :-DD

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2015, 12:49:51 am »
Oh, and how soon can we expect to see Skarp on IGG?   :-DD

This afternoon... ?
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline hayatepilot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2015, 07:34:30 am »
Already online on IGG.  :-DD

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2015, 07:37:56 am »
Already online on IGG.  :-DD

Ah, so it is... but doing pretty poorly as you'd expect
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving/

EDIT: OK, it was apparently only put up an hour ago, so $15k already isn't too bad.  I assumed the 13 days left meant it had already been up for 2 weeks or something.
But many of the poor suckers coming from KS probably don't know about IGG and flexible funding...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 07:42:46 am by Kean »

Offline robca

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2015, 07:43:16 am »
Suspended...
So apart from why... I wonder how much of the KS money (that they no longer have) has already been spent.
Im sure it is nowhere near $4m, but they could still already have spent a substantial amount (on top of their previous development costs) based on the expected big funding.

Kickstarter releases money only after the campaign ends (by date, not when they meet their funding goal). As far as I know, the Skarp campaign was still open, so KS should not have released any money

Good on KS to have caught this. But there are hundreds of other projects with no working prototype funded in the past that are starting to come back to KS as lawsuits. Too many teams with no product overpromised and underdelivered... I hope they get more serious about vetting prototypes (kinda like a peer review that is done before an article is accepted for publication)

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2015, 07:47:16 am »
Kickstarter releases money only after the campaign ends (by date, not when they meet their funding goal). As far as I know, the Skarp campaign was still open, so KS should not have released any money
Yes, I know this - but odten when you think you're about to get a big windfall, sometimes you can get a bit excited and start to spend the money before you actually have it.  Especially if you think that spending that money will help to bring in even more.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2015, 08:03:01 am »
Is there such a thing as a non-accidental beard fire???
For the really really unpopular beard wearer, of course there is.  ;)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2015, 08:28:33 am »
..of course there is a really simple thing KS could do without crippling funding of projects at an early stage.
 No prototype = limit on funding total until you can show one, $50K maybe.

of course IndieScamScam have long since given up having any shame & are still happy to take all-comers with flexible funding
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2015, 08:33:31 am »
Shaving systems rely on pulling at the hairs to lift them in the hair follicles. Without that you can't get a very close shave at all. A gentle pull can raise hairs a couple of mm if the skin is warm, although they tend to stand out on their own with really cold skin. Is this laser shaver only suitable for people standing right in front of an air con?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2015, 11:00:07 am »
Suspended...

Wouldn't you automatically sue for that in the US? (stereotyping that yanks sue for two flys up a wall  ;D )

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2015, 11:04:21 am »
EDIT: OK, it was apparently only put up an hour ago, so $15k already isn't too bad.  I assumed the 13 days left meant it had already been up for 2 weeks or something.
But many of the poor suckers coming from KS probably don't know about IGG and flexible funding...

If your project is suspended on KS do you still the ability to message all the backers or post updates? i.e. point them to the IGG campaign?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2015, 11:05:30 am »
Can someone please explain why a laser razor needs a "Lead Firmware Engineer"?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving/#/

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2015, 11:13:46 am »
Can someone please explain why a laser razor needs a "Lead Firmware Engineer"?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving/#/

Wonder if they're looking to headhunt the morally bankrupt firmware people from VW  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf