Author Topic: Shaving with laser?  (Read 108584 times)

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
Re: Shaving with laser?
« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2015, 12:10:36 am »
A writer for CNet got a hands on with the prototype: http://www.cnet.com/products/skarp-laser-razor/

Yes, I saw the videos... there were actually 2 CNET videos showing the Skarp, each slightly different. It is pretty horrible, honestly. The hair just bends, very few get cut. The glass fiber is so fragile it broke during testing. I know they say they are going to fix this all, but....    :popcorn:
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2015, 02:02:50 am »
A writer for CNet got a hands on with the prototype: http://www.cnet.com/products/skarp-laser-razor/
But when I lifted the razor to my arm and placed the fiber against a hair, it cut right through. The laser actually worked. We tried it with light hairs and dark hairs, over and over again. Twice, we accidentally broke the fiber by getting the cheese-wire style blade caught on several hairs at a time, which definitely gave me pause
Skarp co-founder Binun says that with a mass-produced fiber and a AAA battery, the razor should have enough power to cut through five hairs at any given moment and keep cutting through more as soon as the previous ones fall away

Wow, so even the final design will only be able to cut through 5 hairs at a time!  :palm:
Newsflash - people are hairy, razors are required to cut through hundred of hairs at a time!
The average mans beard contains thousands to 10's of thousands of hairs.

Yet another stupid impractical product idea.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: November 25, 2015, 04:24:57 am »
But when I lifted the razor to my arm and placed the fiber against a hair, it cut right through. The laser actually worked. We tried it with light hairs and dark hairs, over and over again. Twice, we accidentally broke the fiber by getting the cheese-wire style blade caught on several hairs at a time, which definitely gave me pause
Skarp co-founder Binun says that with a mass-produced fiber and a AAA battery, the razor should have enough power to cut through five hairs at any given moment and keep cutting through more as soon as the previous ones fall away

Wow, so even the final design will only be able to cut through 5 hairs at a time!  :palm:
Newsflash - people are hairy, razors are required to cut through hundred of hairs at a time!
The average mans beard contains thousands to 10's of thousands of hairs.

Yet another stupid impractical product idea.
Now you are just making up straw man arguments. They say nothing about the time to cut 5 hairs. If they could cut those 5 hairs in a millisecond a whole face could be shaved very quickly. Try to attack ACTUAL problems with what is being said.

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2015, 07:56:09 pm »
Now you are just making up straw man arguments. They say nothing about the time to cut 5 hairs. If they could cut those 5 hairs in a millisecond a whole face could be shaved very quickly. Try to attack ACTUAL problems with what is being said.
No, he's right. How would you get the blade to only touch maximum 5 hairs? If it touches only a few more, then there wouldn't be enough power for any hair to be cut.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2015, 08:00:06 pm »
Presumably the first hair gets almost all the power.

Offline Gobi

« Reply #205 on: December 05, 2015, 08:48:30 am »
Aaaand kickstarter just suspended funding  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #206 on: December 05, 2015, 09:40:02 am »
Aaaand kickstarter just suspended funding  :-DD :-DD :-DD
You must be living in another timezone - or actually another datezone.  It was suspended October 12, almost 8 weeks ago  :palm:

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: December 05, 2015, 11:21:02 am »
Yeah, they moved to Indiegogo because they didn't have a working prototype.
Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/13/9518163/laser-razor-kickstarter-banned-indiegogo
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:22:39 am by crispy_tofu »

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2015, 11:50:28 am »
So as a summary... 

They got "kicked off" Kickstarter becaus they didn't have a prototype and what they showed to Kickstarter (when they sort of contested the "kick") was not prototyping looking enough.

Based on the cnet article (they tested the "prototype") : http://www.cnet.com/products/skarp-laser-razor/

They have a custom fiber "wire" and a laser which works at power low enough to make it possible to power the laser from batteries.
The current custom fiber wire must be stretched between the razor sides but it's also very fragile - it's so thin and fragile that if you press it on the skin it will break, in fact it's so fragile just pressing it against more than a few hair strands it will break 

They wanted the money so they could invest more than $100k into developing a less fragile fiber and they were hoping to glue somehow this fiber to the edge of the razor so that the instrument would take the burden, as in the hair strands would no longer put pressure on the fiber and it won't break so easily.

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2015, 06:05:16 pm »
Even if much of the stress was relieved by the handle, fiber optics still don't like to be bent. Many shaving operations are not on a flat surface because the body's surface is not uniformly flat. It has positive (Riemannian) curvature on the chin, the jaw, the legs, and the mons; and negative (Lobachevskyan) curvature on the lip margins, the armpit, and the neck.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: December 05, 2015, 07:16:21 pm »
The kind of bends a razorblade can make are not really a problem for a fiber either AFAICS.

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #211 on: December 05, 2015, 07:59:07 pm »
Even if much of the stress was relieved by the handle, fiber optics still don't like to be bent. Many shaving operations are not on a flat surface because the body's surface is not uniformly flat. It has positive (Riemannian) curvature on the chin, the jaw, the legs, and the mons; and negative (Lobachevskyan) curvature on the lip margins, the armpit, and the neck.
I don't see any problem there, normal razors are also rather inflexible, but body tissue is.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2017, 12:44:43 pm »
Any news?   :P :P :P

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2017, 03:34:47 pm »
they need more power......

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #215 on: March 15, 2022, 01:46:42 pm »
I can't believe they posted an update!   :-DD
And even worse there are still people that are still supportive in the comments...  |O

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving#/updates/all
SKARP 2022
posted by Morgan Gustavsson
Mar 15, 2022 • 9:56PM

Hello Skarpers !

As always - we are very sorry about the scarse updates. And again apologies for being five years late and counting on the perks.
This year will be dedicated to exploring alternative ways to reduce the art into practice, being  that everything to date in that respect has failed in practice in spite of internal assertions in the beginning. We sincerely really totally regeret that we won't be able to share any details on this at this pount, but hope to back in Q1 with positive results.

After six years of working full time on SKARP, and without compensation, I'm close to giving up, but  plan to give give it another year in hope of finally getting our wonderful lovely compationate patient backers their well deserved perks.

I wish we had better and more interrsting news to share, but this is the status today. In lack of current funding we also have no one to read or respond to comments. And yes "how dare we" ? The answer is easy: Its not out of choice.

Best ',

Morgan

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2022, 08:24:35 am »
My favorite part of the "update" is:

This year will be dedicated to exploring alternative ways to reduce the art into practice, being  that everything to date in that respect has failed in practice in spite of internal assertions in the beginning.

"I will try something else now, since nothing has worked so far, despite my belief someone telling me that it would."  :palm:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 09:25:01 am by ebastler »

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2022, 08:57:10 pm »
This is definitely such a stupid application of technology, that's painfully funny.

Laser hair removal has been used for quite a while, but it's a procedure to be done with proper certified equipment by a trained professional, and especially if you're anywhere close to the face.
What could go wrong? :-DD

It's fortunate that the project didn't get through. And that's the good part of all those failed hype projects: they almost always fail, which makes them less dangerous. :popcorn:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2022, 10:57:16 pm »
I can't believe they posted an update!   :-DD
And even worse there are still people that are still supportive in the comments...  |O

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving#/updates/all
SKARP 2022
posted by Morgan Gustavsson
Mar 15, 2022 • 9:56PM

Hello Skarpers !

As always - we are very sorry about the scarse updates. And again apologies for being five years late and counting on the perks.
This year will be dedicated to exploring alternative ways to reduce the art into practice, being  that everything to date in that respect has failed in practice in spite of internal assertions in the beginning. We sincerely really totally regeret that we won't be able to share any details on this at this pount, but hope to back in Q1 with positive results.

After six years of working full time on SKARP, and without compensation, I'm close to giving up, but  plan to give give it another year in hope of finally getting our wonderful lovely compationate patient backers their well deserved perks.

I wish we had better and more interrsting news to share, but this is the status today. In lack of current funding we also have no one to read or respond to comments. And yes "how dare we" ? The answer is easy: Its not out of choice.

Best ',

Morgan

After 5 years! LOL
Well, you gotta hand it to him though, seems like it's his dream.

Online Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: April 12, 2022, 02:19:26 pm »
"After six years of working full time on SKARP"...

I mean, that's thousands of hours of work done only to find out, this isn't going to work? (That shouldn't have taken longer than, say, 1 minute...)
Scam starting day one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf