Author Topic: Small 5 axis CNC  (Read 18215 times)

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
Re: Small 5 axis CNC
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 04:58:32 pm »
But dissing the whole field of experimentation and entrepreneurship around amateur fabrication comes off as highly elitist and antisocial.

I have not heard any blanket dissing of the entrepreneurial / amateur community - just those that are unrealistically inflating claims and capabilities. Big and over inflated claims confuse the whole community and takes people back a few steps. For example, if I come up with an idea for a new gadget and I see on the internet a new whiz bang machine that can make it for me for a fraction of the traditional cost - I will chase it. When I find out a few thousand dollars and a few hundred hours later that it is all bullshit - that sucks. Time and money wasted that could have been used outsourcing and getting a real product that is sellable. You cannot beat reality - it will smack you in the face every time.

Manufacturing technologies are not and will not advance at the same speed as smart phones. The costs and challenges associated with manufacturing are not plummeting nearly as fast as the 'makers' would let you believe. I AM a maker and have been for a long time. It is how I make my entire living. All I can hope for is that people be more realistic in their claims.

If you consider it a toy for people who enjoy dabbling in such things - well, some of them out there at least seem to fit the bill. I still stay away from it, because I don't want to build, or constantly maintain, a finicky, fidgity machine. I don't even like working on my own car anymore - takes too much time from hobbies I enjoy a lot more.

There is truth in that. My gripe is that the machines usefulness is radically over inflated and is not being presented as a toy/novelty/learning device. It is being presented as a machine that can print out your dreams perfectly with only a pinch of challenge.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 11:39:39 pm »
I perfectly know the difference between a CNC and a Reprap-class 3d printer, and it's a huge difference. It starts with the fact that you need two burly guys to move a real CNC. ;) When people are like "let's put a spindle on this 3d printer and then it will be a CNC", I can't help but facepalm. Even an el cheapo ShapeOKO is an order of manitude more rigid than a RepRap. But dissing the whole field of experimentation and entrepreneurship around amateur fabrication comes off as highly elitist and antisocial.

I'd like to see the two burly guys who can move a real CNC machine!  The Robodrill weighs over 2 tons.  I know our 6000lb forklift can just lift it.

As for the home brew machines... I have nothing against the entire field, or against entrepreneurship.  I have a major problem with people who, through lack of ethics or lack of knowledge mixed with arrogance, make claims that are patently false - like those guys that were claiming their multi-color 3D printer was (IIRC) capable of 5 micron print accuracy.   I suppose it's like how irritated Dave gets when some Chinese meter manufacturer claims Cat III ratings but you open the thing up and see the truth.  I'm probably more sensitive to it than most since we do all our own CNC machining in-house, and I spend a lot of time chasing 1/1000th's of an inch and making sure parts produced are on size.  There's also a level of irritation with newcomers to a field thinking/claiming they can do things that huge companies with billions invested can't do... but I think we do the same thing when we see jackasses on Kickstarter doing the same thing (i.e. solar roadways).
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 08:55:29 pm »
The 5 Axis CNC sold out before the deadline.  :)

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2015, 05:47:18 pm »
Not surprised. They will all soon learn the challenges of CNC machining and how those problems become insurmountable with a marginally capable machine.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf