Author Topic: solar roadways  (Read 46956 times)

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
Re: solar roadways
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2014, 03:57:59 pm »
3) Amount of power generated:  If you sat down an came up with the worst potential layout and architecture for a solar array, i would suggest, that other then putting them "indoors", a solar roadway would be it.  No mention of the effects of the angle of incidence of the sun / effect of dirty or damaged panels etc.

I was thinking of permanently installing a solar panel under a car. Just to demonstrate how much a solar parking lot would generate in worst case scenario. And how it would affect the return of investment. Maybe if I installed it pointing down we could make all the roads reflective to make it actually generate some power. Making all roads reflective would actually cost much, but then we could have cars with solar panels under them to power them? This could work as replacement for induction coils. Since induction charging for electric cars is not there yet, so we could use light instead. Also at night we could turn on the leds embedded in the roads to make it go. Other way would be to make a car out of glass... roof out of glass (we already have these) and floorboard out of glass and have the sun shine directly through the whole car and power the solar panel under it.

and let's not forget the pedestrians ! we should make the sidewalks reflective and use solar panels on the bottom of shoes to charge mobile phones. there is 6 billion people on Earth... you know what a hell of a surface area we could get placing solar panels on the underside of 6 billion pairs of shoes ? maaan...  that would be awesome !!!  going to send these suggestions to those solar roadway folks !  >:D

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2014, 04:08:38 pm »
and let's not forget the pedestrians ! we should make the sidewalks reflective and use solar panels on the bottom of shoes to charge mobile phones. there is 6 billion people on Earth... you know what a hell of a surface area we could get placing solar panels on the underside of 6 billion pairs of shoes ? maaan...  that would be awesome !!!  going to send these suggestions to those solar roadway folks !  >:D
Better use a solar hat:

with such a project on Kickstarter you could get millions of dollars :-DD
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2014, 04:24:56 pm »
Better use a solar hat:

with such a project on Kickstarter you could get millions of dollars :-DD

I made this awesome list for PERKS we could have for this project:

SELECT A PERK
$100USD Featured
Solar Freakin' HAT Poster

For your donation, we'll send you a 24" x 36" movie poster of our viral Solar Freakin' Hat video.

Estimated delivery: August 2014
0 claimed
$5USD
Fuck you!

Fuck you so much for helping to move us one step closer to production.

0 claimed
$10USD
Thank you video

For your donation of $10, rob77 and FrankBuss (co-founders of Solar Hat) will thank you by name in a video while they are sitting with the Solar Hat's on. There will be one video thanking everyone who donates at this level. The video will be posted on Solar Hat's website (where it will remain for at least one year), social media, and we will also send you a copy.

0 claimed
$25USD
Set of 3 Bumper Stickers

For your donation, we'll send you a set of 3 bumper stickers with our logo and different sayings: I Helped Crowdfund Solar hat (logo) Run into Tomorrow with Solar Hats (logo) Let's Power the Earth with Solar Hats (logo)

Estimated delivery: July 2014
0 claimed
$25USD
Set of 3 Bumper Stickers - #2

For your donation, we'll send you a set of 3 bumper stickers with our logo and different sayings: The Hat to the Future (logo) I'm Walking on Sunshine (logo) Get a Charge with (logo)

0 claimed
$40USD
Solar Freakin' Roadways hat

For your donation of $40, we'll send you our Solar Freakin' Roadways hat.

0 claimed
$50USD
15-ounce Coffee Mug

For your donation, we'll send you a large coffee mug with the Solar Hat logo.

0 claimed
$60USD
Canvas Tote/Shopping Bag

For your donation of $60, we'll send you our reusable canvas Energy-Economy-Ecology tote/shopping bag with our logo on the other side. See images at left.

0 claimed
$75USD
T-Shirt with Logo

For your donation, we'll send you an organic cotton jersey T-shirt with our logo.

0 claimed
$75USD
SFH "Whoa" Dude t-shirt

For your donation, we'll send you an organic cotton jersey T-shirt with the Solar Freakin' Hats "Whoa!" dude. See picture at left.

0 claimed
$85USD
SFH iPhone 5/5S Tough Case

For your donation of $85, we'll send you our iPhone 5/5S Tough Case with the Solar Freakin' Hats logo. See image at left.

0 claimed
$85USD
SFH iPhone 4/4S Tough Case

For your donation of $85, we'll send you our iPhone 4/4S Tough Case with the Solar Freakin' Hats logo. See image at left.

0 claimed
$100USD
Thank You Video for You - Now

In a short (about 30 seconds) video filmed on the solar parking lot, FrankBuss and rob77 will thank you personally for your contribution and will send you the video within 24 hours, weather permitting. You can post on social media or wherever you'd like. If you email us immediately after your contribution, you can make a request for us to include special content (your favorite feature, a shout out to your environmental group, etc.).

0 claimed
$150USD
Glass Solar Cell Pendant

Solar cells are very fragile. After building 108 Solar Hat Panels, we had a lot of broken solar cells left over. We've placed pieces of the broken solar cells into a light bulb shaped glass vial. We then filled the bulbs with our panel laminate. Each one is unique and made by us. You can own a piece of history! You provide the chain. See photo to the left.

0 out of 250 claimed
$150USD
Solar Freakin Hats Combo

For your donation of $150, you'll receive our Solar Freakin' Hats Combo Pack: Organic T-shirt, large coffee mug, and 3 bumper stickers. See image to the left.

0 claimed
$300USD
Personalized Graphic for You!

For your $300 donation, email us your photo of a mom, dad, cat, neighbour, teacher, Dave, Girlfriend, Jesus, Mohammed, Thunderf00t, etc., and we'll have our graphic artists convert it to a Solar Hat rendition and email it back to you. Your photo should be shot as high as possible and be as high a resolution as possible. More info to the left. Here's your chance to see what your home, business, or town would look like with the Solar Hats technology applied!

0 claimed
$500USD
Your Name on our Hat Lot

For your donation, we'll engrave your name or the name of your group or business on one of our 396 mounting hole covers. We'll place a photo of it on our website, where it will stay for at least one year and we'll send a photo to you. It will be filmed by the media and seen by visitors. Be part of history in the making!

Estimated delivery: October 2014
0 out of 396 claimed
$1,000USD
4-inch Glass Hexagon Hat

For your donation, we'll send you a 4-inch hexagon containing the same textured surface as our full-sized Solar Hats Panels (top layer only). Individually numbered, limited edition.

0 out of 1000 claimed
$10,000USD
7-inch Glass Hexagon hat

For your donation, we'll send you a 7-inch hexagon hat containing the same textured surface as our full-sized Solar Hat Panels (top and bottom layers). This will be a small working model, including solar cells, LEDs, and a microprocessor. Individually numbered, limited edition.

0 out of 100 claimed

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2014, 04:32:41 pm »
Making all roads reflective

That would increase the albedo of the Earth and reduce global warming, thus appealing to the climate change alarmists to boot. What's not to like  :-+

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2014, 04:42:29 pm »

$10,000USD
7-inch Glass Hexagon hat

I would sell this for a bargain of $1,000  ^-^
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2014, 06:02:59 pm »
A solar powered (parabolic mirror) stirling engine hooked to a generator will convert way more energy even will all the heat losses.

Just make sure it doesn't catch things on fire :)

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2014, 06:09:54 pm »
A solar powered (parabolic mirror) stirling engine hooked to a generator will convert way more energy even will all the heat losses.

Just make sure it doesn't catch things on fire :)

but you have to cool the other side of the engine to have good efficiency (higher delta T => better efficiency).

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2014, 08:34:54 pm »
3) Amount of power generated:  If you sat down an came up with the worst potential layout and architecture for a solar array, i would suggest, that other then putting them "indoors", a solar roadway would be it.  No mention of the effects of the angle of incidence of the sun / effect of dirty or damaged panels etc.

I was thinking of permanently installing a solar panel under a car. Just to demonstrate how much a solar parking lot would generate in worst case scenario. And how it would affect the return of investment. Maybe if I installed it pointing down we could make all the roads reflective to make it actually generate some power. Making all roads reflective would actually cost much, but then we could have cars with solar panels under them to power them? This could work as replacement for induction coils. Since induction charging for electric cars is not there yet, so we could use light instead. Also at night we could turn on the leds embedded in the roads to make it go. Other way would be to make a car out of glass... roof out of glass (we already have these) and floorboard out of glass and have the sun shine directly through the whole car and power the solar panel under it.

ive got an idea for a competing campaign. hate wearing ill-fitting, uncomfortable shoes? hate getting your shoes muddy and tracking dirt into your house? cell phone battery keep going dead? well here is the kickstarter for you!! for your donations of $500triillion, we will have the entire world covered with carpet. each person would then get a pair of wool socks, and we will develop a device to charge your cell phone from the static electricity generated from walking on the carpet.

sure, the idea can use some refinements, but i think its already more plausible than solar roadways.

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2014, 10:42:57 pm »

ive got an idea for a competing campaign. hate wearing ill-fitting, uncomfortable shoes? hate getting your shoes muddy and tracking dirt into your house? cell phone battery keep going dead? well here is the kickstarter for you!! for your donations of $500triillion, we will have the entire world covered with carpet. each person would then get a pair of wool socks, and we will develop a device to charge your cell phone from the static electricity generated from walking on the carpet.

sure, the idea can use some refinements, but i think its already more plausible than solar roadways.

Probably cheaper; the cost per m^2 of polyester carpet is a few orders of magnitude lower than the cost of solar panels + tempered glass!
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2014, 12:35:46 am »
...Other way would be to make a car out of glass... roof out of glass (we already have these) and floorboard out of glass and have the sun shine directly through the whole car and power the solar panel under it.

Couldn't help myself...

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2014, 10:41:29 am »

OH MYYY... FRINKIN'

Holy shit... they put microcontroller and leds in their panels... NOW THEY CAN LIGHT UP THE FRINKIN' ROAD!!! Who would have thought they could do this? Now it must be worth to give them lot of money since they can program a led display?

How about scrolling text? How about dynamic text?

NEW LOW FOR THEM!
SOLAR ROADWAYS PRESENTS

Very touching story - thank you to all who participated for sharing this with us.
:palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
"these people would have been saved if we got 2 million earlier"  :-+

I wonder how many people will die and be injured when they can't stop on glass surface like these people promised?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:50:38 am by Legit-Design »

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2014, 03:23:54 pm »
I love how they ALWAYS show the LEDs at night
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline sunnyhighway

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2014, 04:28:21 pm »
Another attempt to gain even more buzz an credibility.

source: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways#activity
Quote from:  Scott Brusaw
We were sworn to secrecy until now, but Solar Roadways was invited to the first ever Maker Faire hosted by the White House. The event will feature Makers, innovators, and entrepreneurs of all ages who are using cutting-edge tools to bring their ideas to life. We we're honored to be chosen. Off to the White House now! Will report back tonight.

Scott Brusaw

What's next?
Obama shaking hands with Scott Brusaw while receiving a hexagon tile?

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2014, 02:15:54 am »

Very touching story - thank you to all who participated for sharing this with us.
:palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
"these people would have been saved if we got 2 million earlier"  :-+

"so if the SOLAR roadway thing, even if it was just implemented for those specific DARK corners......"

:-//

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2014, 03:56:16 am »
I'm maybe a few hours away from hitting record on a debunking video...
There is so much to include though, it's hard to know what to put in and what to leave out...

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2014, 04:04:17 am »
There is so much to include though, it's hard to know what to put in and what to leave out...
Do it. Please. You are a widely respected member of the hobbyist/hacker/maker community, and your video would surely add weight to the idea that solar roadways is not as rosy as it might seem. I would put in the nah points, such as the unpracticalness and some technical deficiencies (~5-8) to go along.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2014, 04:39:37 am »

Nice!!

Offline CanadianAvenger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2014, 05:07:28 am »
Do it. Please. You are a widely respected member of the hobbyist/hacker/maker community, and your video would surely add weight to the idea that solar roadways is not as rosy as it might seem. I would put in the nah points, such as the unpracticalness and some technical deficiencies (~5-8) to go along.

I don't think Solar Roadways carries much credibility in the hacker/maker community. The people that are praising it, are generally clueless about technology. [I'd still love to see Dave's take on it though]

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2014, 05:27:08 am »
There is also the issue that the asphalt is basically a flexible roof for the subgrade. Roads move and need to be formulated to reduce cracking, handle heat, cold all at the expense of durability. What will be used to keep all the tiles in place?

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2014, 05:28:41 am »

New segment:  Daily Solar Roadway Debunking.  Release each point as it's own 2 minute clip.

You could keep going until tech catches up and makes solar roadways viable!

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2014, 06:13:08 am »

Fine if it is an entertaining rant.

However, if you try to convert believers in the scam into realists by coming up with facts, and trying to convince them it is a scam, well, waste of time. There is already more than enough material out there for those who want to educate themselves. The believers don't care. Pearls before swine.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2014, 06:23:32 am »
Where does all this energy come from to heat the road (to melt snow and ice) if there is a blizzard during the night? The road is in darkness and when morning comes the solar cells are covered in 10cm of snow and ice, or more. Won't snowploughs rough up the glass surface? I don't know, never seen one close up.

They have thought of EVERYTHING  :-DD

Here's the worst case scenario: if all else fails, we can replace snow plows with street sweepers where needed (vehicles with large rotating brushes). They're used here in Idaho in the spring to clear the roads of the sand that was used for traction during the winter months.
So they know normal plows would damage the surface. For those don't see snow every winter, snow plow WILL carve grooves on the asphalt on worst case scenario. Snow plow will create sparks with it's plow and road surface when the operator goes too deep. Worst grooves I've seen on the road were same depth as those glass tiles.

For every engineering problem there is a solution that will cost shit tons of money. They are planning to fix their problems exactly like that.

I think they could fix their poor efficiency of their solar panels by having motor on the road for every brick. They just tilt the bricks and pressure sensors on the roads retract the solar panels when car comes. This extending and retracting could even double as SIGNALING DEVICE! Imagine to use shit ton of money and doing useless things that never should have existed, now in addition we can do cool things with it.

Fine if it is an entertaining rant.

However, if you try to convert believers in the scam into realists by coming up with facts, and trying to convince them it is a scam, well, waste of time. There is already more than enough material out there for those who want to educate themselves. The believers don't care. Pearls before swine.

I hope it's back of the envelope type calculations. Laying panels flat on ground is really inefficient. Putting tempered glass to disperse the suns energy is really inefficient. Now calculations how much inefficient it is? They have even kindly provided some numbers themselves. Ok now with all these inefficiencies we have limited lifetime of solar cells. Shouldn't we be trying to get most out of the cells, not trying to make them produce less than they could?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2014, 06:53:06 am »
What will be used to keep all the tiles in place?

Huge concrete roads and associated cable pits. The tiles are bolted into place on concrete. They don't mention that much...
So any existing road that's not a concrete base (most of them I believe) need to be ripped up and replaced with concrete first.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2014, 06:54:16 am »
I've started on some calcs...

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 07:13:21 am by EEVblog »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2014, 09:59:34 am »
snow plow WILL carve grooves on the asphalt on worst case scenario

I don't see a problem with that. When I had a CRT I would use any old glass cleaner on the screen to get the muck off it, never bother about finger marks, etc. On my LCD with the strange flexible(ish) screen I take a lot more care! If you use brute force stuff designed for old tech on your new tech you are asking for trouble, and if you can't change that brute force you're never going to advance. Thus changing the ploughs makes perfect sense (and trivially cheap compared to the cost of the  road) for the implementors. Those with a grudge won't see that using a forge to make ally parts is silly.

But having said that, you can't restrict traffic on a public road (sort of). You might change your ploughs, but are you going to ban tracked vehicles? How about a JCB moving between jobs or something similar? For this reason I see it as a big problem, and I suggest it is that aspect that is used to debunk. Banging on about ploughs won't convince anyone when they realise how easy it is to make it a non-problem.

(Some roads around here are restricted, typically for weight where there is a bridge that's on its last legs. So vehicles over a certain weight are banned. Also, I'm pretty sure that if one damages roadside furniture - perhaps dragging a JCB along to make a nice gouge - one can get hit with damages by the local council. Not sure if that actually happens other than in special cases, though.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf