Author Topic: TRAVELOCK:The Ultimate Thieves Dream?  (Read 10289 times)

Offline pilleyaTopic starter

• Contributor
TRAVELOCK:The Ultimate Thieves Dream?
« on: September 02, 2018, 01:03:04 pm »
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/travelock-the-ultimate-smart-fingerprint-lock#/

Thin ss wire looks very easy to cut and defeat while photos alude to it being suitable for protecting bikes etc.

100kg max load does no bode well, most adult males( and plenty of women) can supply that with two hands.

Campaign itself seems fishy CEO Diana Hardy and from San Fran( choose a well known tech hub lol ) no mention of her elsewhere and loads of grammatical errors on page and facebook page paints a picture of this campaign being by the two guys listed at the bottom and not by english first language 'Diana'.

It seems like backers will get their product, just it will not be suitable for the "locking" aspect.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:08:59 pm by pilleya »

Online agehall

• Frequent Contributor
Re: TRAVELOCK:The Ultimate Thieves Dream?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 01:12:21 pm »
I'm looking forward to the lock nerds picking this one apart. I don't think this is a lock I want to entrust anything valuable to...

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 01:12:30 pm »
Relevant tool ...

The following users thanked this post: blueskull, agehall, Jacon

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 01:59:32 pm »
The lock is operated by independent AI!!!!!!!

First, what is that?
Second, why is it not operated by a sensor and a controller?

Also, who out there in the world takes 60s to undo a standard padlock? Takes me around 2-3s. Who are these people who need a minute to do that?

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 02:39:09 pm »
Yep pretty sure you could cut that thing with a decent pair of tin snips even.

Actually... it says 100kg capacity. In that case all you need is a sturdy stick or broom handle or similar to jam into the loop and use the leverage to twist it, easily putting 10x that force on it and likely making it fall apart.

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 04:33:20 pm »
Appears to be the same thing featured in this teardown here:

https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/hardware-reverse-engineering-a-tale-from-the-workbench/

And, yes, it seems a pair of snips can cut through the wire. :D Also can be opened with a magnet!

Offline pilleyaTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 04:47:01 pm »
Oh wow ok, so this isn't even a new product. This is might just be a off the shelf China/alibaba special with a logo slapped on.

Typical of quite a lot of the stuff on Indiegogo tbh. I guess Indiegogo don't care though, they are still technically crown funding to purchase the custom run.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 04:51:55 pm by pilleya »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 06:14:26 pm »
I would but it (if it were cheaper).

You wouldn't say a bicycle is useless because it doesn't do 200MPH, carry 15 persons or run submerged for half an hour. When someone says 'lock' there are a range of uses, not all of them requiring a hasp that takes 4 hours to cut through with an oxyacetalene torch.

My use would be merely to keep my bag secure from those unable to resist temptation. You could cut the bag with a knife, but no-one's going to do that (at least, no-one this is to protect against. But leave the bag open and sticky fingers will have a poke around. I could use a traditional lock, but it would look a bit daft and I couldn't be arsed to carry a key everywhere. This fingerprint lock is ideal for that situation: doesn't obviously shout "I don't trust any of you gits", never forget a key, quickly undone, etc.

Horses for course. The only reason, apart from price, I might not go for this is because it's Indiegogo and flexible funding.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 06:38:18 pm »
Oh wow ok, so this isn't even a new product. This is might just be a off the shelf China/alibaba special with a logo slapped on.

It indeed is Fipilock with original logo on it (amazon price: 55$). They just resell (w/o rebranding!) for double price  :-DD

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 03:40:20 am »
But "It is always the most desirable wish in our society.  If you want to realize the desire, then TRAVELOCK is your best choose."   :-DD :palm:

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 11:39:41 pm »
Yes, as mentioned above by @ogden, this thing is indeed called a Fipilock: http://www.fipilock.net/company-profile/. Company: http://www.walsuntech.com/

The one in the blog linked above (https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/hardware-reverse-engineering-a-tale-from-the-workbench/) has the same markings and says FIPILOCK on the bottom as does the one on the IndieGoGo site for Travelock. They did not even bother to rebrand it:

BLOG version:

TRAVELOCK version:

Google-search reveals a bunch of them on eBay, Amazon and other retailers. Price on eBay is about $55-60, making the IndieGoGo pricing for the early bird 2x $119 offer actually not bad at all. However, all of the subsequent offers ($99 a lock) are way over-priced. And considering that the thing is ALREADY produced and being sold, I would hope the risk from this campaign is ZERO provided the founders aren't just SCAMMING people completely.

Plus you can find lots of reviews online and even YouTube videos about the Fipilock, so unless these guys made something new (which I doubt) you already can see how bad it is. And even if you were going to buy it, it would still be better getting it from eBay or Amazon. At least there you have some recourse regarding refunds if you never get the item or if it is defective.

Aside from the fingerprint reader being spotty, it does seem the design would allow one to insert a broom handle in the loop and do a few twists and rip that cable out of the lock housing. The cable also looks very thin, I can't imagine it would take very big snippers to chop through. Then again, these types of locks are "opportunistic deterrents", to keep a curious pass-by from poking in to something. I would not trust my bike to this. For luggage it is good to keep a shoddy hotel employee out looking for a quick easy opportunity.

Here they are making it in Shenzhen China (I like the yellow vest uniforms):

On Alibaba you can buy for as low as $29.99.... These things look like toys. In the video above you can better see the scale of the lock and how thin the cable wire is. Does not instil any confidence at all.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Shenzhen-hot-sales-travel-lock-biometric_60692765322.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.335.71064b1bwvLUw8
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:53:32 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline riccardo.pittini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 07:24:37 am »
Have you seen how safe it is as bike lock ???;D

It fully protects a spoke of the wheel and I think it can reach an impressive 100ns protection for the full bike!!!!!  :-DD

On my bikes I use a 14mm U-lock and I still fear for them to survive a 30min stop to the supermarket -_-

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 07:39:41 am »
Wow, that looks totally piss-weak.
I suspect if you simply hopped on the bike and rode off it would snap. or kicked the gate open.

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 10:36:01 am »
Julian Ilett already made a video about it:
https://youtu.be/EsdbyYRgyKk

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, thm_w

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 11:15:45 am »
Wait the other end of the cable is simply screwed in?! :o That is a pretty damn major flaw if you ask me.

One of those damn security screws that manufacturers use to keep you from getting into products is more secure than this lock! And that's a pretty low bar to live up to, since a lot of security screws can be defeated with just the right size flathead screwdriver (possibly filed to fit)

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 12:30:31 pm »
This piece of garbage will most likely foil the user more often than any thief, requiring the user to destroy it in the process. Several scenarios (very likely) are in mind:

1. I can see someone forgetting to charge the battery, or forgetting the lock on their luggage for several months. When they try and use it, it will be discharged and who knows how good the battery is and whether it will keep a charge, and for how long? There is built-in obsolescence because of the unknown quality of the battery inside.

2. The other issue is the USB port itself, could it be used to defeat or at least bugger-up the battery also? Let's say you plug in a little USB dongle that shorts out the charging pins? I would hope there is some electrical protection but if someone wants to just screw with you, they could blow it electronically or ruin the port, or stick some "gum" inside just to piss you off.

3. They show it on a bike (WHAT A JOKE!) but is this thing going to stand up to rain? How waterproof is it, and could that ruin the electronics in it? If it doesn't ruin the electronics, will it ruin the USB port? I assume there is a rubber flap over the USB port but there may be space around where the cable enters the lock to allow water.

4. With all the videos now available of the lock being opened and the weaknesses known (and the manual on how to reset), and the inside on how it works and how the cable is "screwed" into the other end, etc... (like the video linked in the previous posting), who will really be surprised when their relatively expensive lock is defeated?

5. The fingerprint sensor seems to be unreliable and so I imagine that a user may have issues with it and eventually get defeated out of their own lock. Every video seems to show people pressing on it multiple times, it not registering, etc. Another malfunction point to add to the many modes of failure.

There are so many things wrong with this lock, it is unbelievable that anyone would even want to buy it. It is a case of "smart" technology applied in a completely wrong situation. There are other smart locks, electronic, blue-tooth enabled, etc... that do have interesting features and add innovation to the industry, but this lock is NOT it. There are so many more effective options that are less costly and a better deterrent than this lock.

In fact, you are probably better buying 3-4 U-Locks with the same money... at least it will add more time and be more obvious someone is stealing your bike, in case it is a public area somebody may at least notice and stop them. And if the whole point of this is not to require keys, then get several COMBINATION locks with chains/cables if needed. Either way they would require heavier tools to cut than this FIPILOCK garbage toy:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:35:04 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 12:50:28 pm »
In fact, you are probably better buying 3-4 U-Locks with the same money

For some uses, that would be a worse solution since they would never be carried and whartever would never be locked. Things have to be proportionate, and whilst this lock in inappropriate for keeping a bicycle secure, Fort Knox style security is bonkers for uses where this lock would be good.

All locks can be broken. Since you speak so highly of YouTube videos, there are loads of people removing serious locks with powered saws, and no-one stops them. I own a high-value vehicle and my worry is not some opportunistic toerag who is going to be foiled by a simple brake lock (really, it's aluminium and easily cut through, but an opportunist won't have a hack saw). No, my worry is the organised gang literally picking it up and throwing it in the back of a van, alarm blaring, and taking it apart whils they drive back to their yard. Videos of this happening too, and no-one calls the cops.

Do you use 2FA to log into EEVBlog? No? See how poorly you treat your own security, yet are happy to rail at the possibility of using someone elses solution for a problem it's not appropriate for.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 01:09:15 pm »
But at least those locks need a proper tool to get them off rather than something that might be found in a swiss army knife. Yet with this lock you can probably get of off and on again with just bare hands while not even destroying the lock in the process.

Like the computer lab in school had a fancy keycard lock on the door, yet i could get inside using just some normal scissors. A lot of students carry those around. No damage and no trace left of breaking in.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 01:16:58 pm »
In fact, you are probably better buying 3-4 U-Locks with the same money

For some uses, that would be a worse solution since they would never be carried and whartever would never be locked. Things have to be proportionate, and whilst this lock in inappropriate for keeping a bicycle secure...Do you use 2FA to log into EEVBlog? No? See how poorly you treat your own security, yet are happy to rail at the possibility of using someone elses solution for a problem it's not appropriate for.

Fair enough, you are correct in that each situation does call for a unique locking solution and a determined thief would not be deterred by stronger locks. My other points are that why would one introduce the added complexity of electronics which introduce so many new modes of failure if it is a trade off to better mechanical only solutions?

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 01:17:21 pm »
Wait the other end of the cable is simply screwed in?! :o That is a pretty damn major flaw if you ask me.

One of those damn security screws that manufacturers use to keep you from getting into products is more secure than this lock! And that's a pretty low bar to live up to, since a lot of security screws can be defeated with just the right size flathead screwdriver (possibly filed to fit)

Most security bits are available online or in stores, easy peasy.The ultimate shame would be to steal the bike and leave the screw behind, though I'm pretty sure tugging would also pop that tiny toy clasp.

The same situation still applies. Why buy this expensive POS when you could spend less and get a bit more security? Just get a real combination luggage lock, batteries not required. This crap doesn't even have the proper Travel Sentry TSA logo on it! :palm:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 03:06:46 pm »
you can probably get of off and on again with just bare hands

Maybe, doubt it. It is one thing to unscrew when it is straight and untethered, quite another when it's in a loop. I think one would need to try that for real, but in the end it is no worse really than a Yale lock when everyone knows how to bump them.

why would one introduce the added complexity of electronics

No key. Nothing to leave behind or mess around with. I've just been introduced to a fingerprint sensor on my smart phone (previous one didn't have it) and it is great - no more remembering PINs (all different) and typing them in incorrectly. Just dab and it''s done.

It's that aspect that attracts me to this lock: I am trading ease of use for lower security, but that ease of use means it would be used where a more secure lock wouldn't, so there is a net gain.

so many new modes of failure

This is  a valid point and I am going from the position of not having one. If it were half the price I would get it just to see, and if it turns out to be flaky then I wouldn't use it. But until then, you gotta look at it as a glass half full since if everything seems half empty no-one would buy anything slightly clever.

better mechanical only solutions?

Such as? Seems to me the alternative is a combination lock, but those are easily picked and have failure modes all of their own. Plus it's a lot of dicking around, particularly in the dark. I can tell you that from experience :)

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 05:45:08 pm »
What about a bluetooth lock like this:

https://www.masterlock.com/bluetooth

It looks tougher and unlocks from your phone. I believe some will lock/unlock based on your proximity and whether you are walking towards or away from it. Thoughts? It's like $39 on Amazon. Seems to be half the cost and more rugged and offer the same benefits... although you need your phone with you, it has a "backup" system of buttons on the front to let you unlock it if you have no phone (direction keys you press some custom combination of them). I know it's a different feature set and convenience and use case, but I wonder if that can be a suitable and more secure substitute.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 05:54:15 pm »
Maybe. I think I'd prefer keys to a phone, unless one had lots of such locks and then it could be a good idea.

I don't really see why this should be more secure (than the Fipilock equivalent, which isn't the one being crowdfunded). The only practical difference is bluetooth vs fingerprint - the actual locking gubbins should be equivalent, and I think the fingerprint is simpler than bluetooth (and possibly more secure since it's not broadcasting anything).

However, back to the crowdfunded one... part of the attraction is that it doesn't look like a traditional lock. If I wanted a BFO padlock I'd already have one :)

I realise my usage scenario may be a bit unique, and in other situation I would no doubt want something more appropriate.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 06:40:35 pm »
Oh god, a master lock! Oh hell no that's even worse! "Rugged" as a house of cards...

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 07:20:14 pm »
My favorite usage example from their website is this one.
You don't even have to damage the flimsy lock to get in there:

Makes me totally confident that this lock is well thought out...  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: cdev, b_force, blueskull, james_s

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf