Author Topic: Triton Artificial Gills  (Read 88639 times)

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
Re: Triton Artificial Gills
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2016, 01:04:37 am »

I think the project is technically possible but practically impossible for consumers. LNO2 might be more practical, but it's patented. I also do think it's within there technical, and probably business, abilities. Then there's liabilities...good luck

On the video, there is a newer one. It is really bizarre how it was setup and filmed.

He actually stayed underwater for 12 minutes - I thought it was less, but I never watched the whole thing. They didn't show him surfacing, so we never saw if he had to gasp for air or not. Since we also didn't see him dive, we do not know if he used hyperventilating before the dive. The record time for holding breath underwater is 22 minutes.

Why didn't he stay underwater for 45 minutes? With no activity, he could probably stay underwater for twice that - if the Triton was working.

I read about the LNO2 and it would be extremely difficult to make something so small. The splitting of the NO happens between 400degC and 900degC. You can use a catalyst to get the reaction starting at 150 degC but the temperature rises once the reaction starts. There are dangerous and corrosive by-products that need to be converted with a platinum catalyst. What happens if the membrane ruptures and you start breathing pure nitrous oxide? What happens if the pump fails and you start sucking in air at 400 deg C? What happens if you take this thing out of the water while it is on?

They would be asking recreational users to swim around with an experimental high temperature chemical factory in their mouths.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:12:26 am by amspire »

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2016, 01:12:30 am »

I think the project is technically possible but practically impossible for consumers. LNO2 might be more practical, but it's patented. I also do think it's within there technical, and probably business, abilities. Then there's liabilities...good luck

On the video, there is a newer one. It is really bizarre how it was setup and filmed.
He actually stayed underwater for 12 minutes - I thought it was less, but I never watched the whole thing. They didn't show him surfacing, so we never saw if he had to gasp for air or not. Since we also didn't see him dive, we do not know if he used hyperventilating before the dive. The record time for holding breath underwater is 22 minutes.

I also don't like the angle of the shot, and the fact he's wearing a full mask. I think it would be possible to run a line from behind the head, next to the strap and into the mask. Then inhale through nose. Don't know though.

Also he seems uncomfortable to me, especially towards the end.

I read about the LNO2 and it would be extremely difficult to make something so small. The splitting of the NO happens between 400degC and 900degC. You can use a catalyst to get the reaction starting at 150 degC but the temperature rises once the reaction starts. There are dangerous and corrosive by-products that need to be converted with a platinum catalyst. What happens if the membrane ruptures and you start breathing pure nitrous oxide? What happens if the pump fails and you start sucking in air at 400 deg C? What happens if you take this thing out of the water while it is on?

They would be asking recreational users to swim around with an experimental high temperature chemical factory in their mouths.
I agree it's problematic but I dont think impossible. If I read the patent correctly the patent says the size of the reactor is 1in, but everything else is definitely not in favor. Apparently it generates enough heat, the patent covers heating of the dive suit. The other thing is that the patent speaks of hallow fiber membrane, which is what Triton says it has as well....

edited
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:26:27 am by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2016, 01:17:34 am »
Had another look at the video. Can anyone actually see his chest moving at all? Just try breathing without moving your chest noticeably. It is not easy.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:19:56 am by amspire »

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2016, 01:40:14 am »
Had another look at the video. Can anyone actually see his chest moving at all? Just try breathing without moving your chest noticeably. It is not easy.

I can't.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:51:00 am by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2016, 01:52:02 am »
The breathing rate is off I think too. Lower end for resting on land is 12bpm, resting diver is typically 16bpm,.. he's doing like 6-7 bpm. The volume seems really excessive too

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2016, 04:30:36 am »
I am not sure if someone has mentioned it already (probably) but there are already companies making small tanks of compressed air for diving use:

http://spareair.com/

So even IF the Triton product was technically possible (it isn't), then what purpose does it have to exist?  LOx is strictly controlled and dangerous, and the system Triton proposes uses disposable bottles anyway - so what advantage does it have over existing air systems?  Triton's proposal is more dangerous, MUCH more complex and would have to be dramatically more expensive.  Why would anyone ever entertain the idea of using any sort of chemicals or LOx or anything of the sort, when you can just take existing air and compress that and do away with the complexity and cost of all the crap Triton is claiming?

As far as the video goes, the fact that the guy doesn't move is highly suspicious.  If the system worked as they say, you would demonstrate it working and be swimming around underwater.  Even from a boredom standpoint, who wants to just sit there?  The only reason he would is because there is another reason - such as a concealed tank.  It's difficult but not impossible to breathe at that depth using lungs, so perhaps he has a small clear tube taped to the side of his face - you'd never notice it from the video. 

One other thing about the video - I am sure nobody believes the device on the guy's face is using LOx and a "gill" type system to some how generate air for the guy.  That means the video was made and is shown in furtherance of fraud.  They are outright deceiving people using a falsified video to show something that isn't true.  The legal term is "Fraud by Deception" in the USA and it's a criminal act.   The government and law enforcement really need to step in on these scams and at least show they are taking an interest.  These guys have over $200k and it will likely go much higher if IGG does nothing to stop it. 
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2016, 04:36:39 am »
I gather that Liquid 02 doesn't exist above -118 deg C. If you charge a cylinder with liquid oxygen at -200 deg C and let the temperature rise to room temperature, it will be a supercritical fluid - apparently that is the state when there is no difference between a gaseous state and a fluid state, but it is definitely not a liquid.

I think with practical pressures, you can only have compressed gaseous oxygen. I would hate to think what pressures you would get in the cylinders from supercritical oxygen in the boot of a car on a really hot sunny day.

If by "Liquid Oxygen", they just use liquid oxygen to partially fill a cylinder, and then let it warm up to a compressed gas state, then to ship by air, you need an expensive ATA-300 Category 1 case to ship the cylinders. This is a legal requirement particularly in the US.

Unless, of course, you are scuba diving on the moon Titan where the temperatures are perfect for bottled liquid oxygen and they have all those great methane lakes. The Triton is the perfect device for recreational diving on Titan.

One of the many things that really do not make sense is that if this product was close to production, they would have done thousand of hours of testing. They would have had no end of full uninterrupted 45 minute video clips of test divers swimming around underwater. They could show someone inserting the cylinders, and then doing a full dive. Instead, they had to actually rent a pool just to do the most recent clip where a diver managed to stay underwater for 7 minutes (something like that) with no activity. There is nothing to indicate that any functioning prototype exists.

All they have proven is that they have made an object that resembles the CAD renders and it can make nice bubbles.

These are liquid nitrogen tanks. They're vacuum insulated cryogenic storage tanks, similar to those used to store liquid oxygen. The contents are kept cold through constant vaporization, and that gas must be vented so that pressure doesn't climb too high.

You may notice that one of the tanks looks a bit odd. Someone decided to fix a defective vent by welding it shut. Someone else had previously decided to fix a failed pressure burst disk by welding it shut. Over a long weekend pressure built up in the tank until it launched itself through a concrete floor and cracked a structural beam in the floor above, then blew out all the walls of the room above.

You really don't want to let cryogenic liquids warm up in a sealed vessel....

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2016, 05:25:59 am »
I am not sure if someone has mentioned it already (probably) but there are already companies making small tanks of compressed air for diving use:

http://spareair.com/

So even IF the Triton product was technically possible (it isn't), then what purpose does it have to exist?  LOx is strictly controlled and dangerous, and the system Triton proposes uses disposable bottles anyway - so what advantage does it have over existing air systems?  Triton's proposal is more dangerous, MUCH more complex and would have to be dramatically more expensive.  Why would anyone ever entertain the idea of using any sort of chemicals or LOx or anything of the sort, when you can just take existing air and compress that and do away with the complexity and cost of all the crap Triton is claiming?

As far as the video goes, the fact that the guy doesn't move is highly suspicious.  If the system worked as they say, you would demonstrate it working and be swimming around underwater.  Even from a boredom standpoint, who wants to just sit there?  The only reason he would is because there is another reason - such as a concealed tank.  It's difficult but not impossible to breathe at that depth using lungs, so perhaps he has a small clear tube taped to the side of his face - you'd never notice it from the video. 

One other thing about the video - I am sure nobody believes the device on the guy's face is using LOx and a "gill" type system to some how generate air for the guy.  That means the video was made and is shown in furtherance of fraud.  They are outright deceiving people using a falsified video to show something that isn't true.  The legal term is "Fraud by Deception" in the USA and it's a criminal act.   The government and law enforcement really need to step in on these scams and at least show they are taking an interest.  These guys have over $200k and it will likely go much higher if IGG does nothing to stop it.

Problem is the breathing time. Even the large one of those cylinders has something like 5-6 minute and maybe 10 if youre not moving

I do think LO2 is possible to do and LNO2 is plausible to do. LNO2 is much more complicated and has safety problems amspire mentioned, but would be more convenient for a consumer since the LNO2 can be shipped. The LO2 I don't think is technically that difficult to do, but LO2 transport and handling is much more dangerous/difficult. LO2 actually doesn't have much regulation for individuals from what I can tell, other than transport.

I don't know what to make of the video but highly suspicious of it. They are in Sweden, so I wonder what their laws are like there.

I am really surprised the campaign came back after the first one ended. The original was pretty deceptive, IGG should have banned them but hasn't for some reason     $^).......

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2016, 05:31:22 am »
I gather that Liquid 02 doesn't exist above -118 deg C. If you charge a cylinder with liquid oxygen at -200 deg C and let the temperature rise to room temperature, it will be a supercritical fluid - apparently that is the state when there is no difference between a gaseous state and a fluid state, but it is definitely not a liquid.

I think with practical pressures, you can only have compressed gaseous oxygen. I would hate to think what pressures you would get in the cylinders from supercritical oxygen in the boot of a car on a really hot sunny day.

If by "Liquid Oxygen", they just use liquid oxygen to partially fill a cylinder, and then let it warm up to a compressed gas state, then to ship by air, you need an expensive ATA-300 Category 1 case to ship the cylinders. This is a legal requirement particularly in the US.

Unless, of course, you are scuba diving on the moon Titan where the temperatures are perfect for bottled liquid oxygen and they have all those great methane lakes. The Triton is the perfect device for recreational diving on Titan.

One of the many things that really do not make sense is that if this product was close to production, they would have done thousand of hours of testing. They would have had no end of full uninterrupted 45 minute video clips of test divers swimming around underwater. They could show someone inserting the cylinders, and then doing a full dive. Instead, they had to actually rent a pool just to do the most recent clip where a diver managed to stay underwater for 7 minutes (something like that) with no activity. There is nothing to indicate that any functioning prototype exists.

All they have proven is that they have made an object that resembles the CAD renders and it can make nice bubbles.

These are liquid nitrogen tanks. They're vacuum insulated cryogenic storage tanks, similar to those used to store liquid oxygen. The contents are kept cold through constant vaporization, and that gas must be vented so that pressure doesn't climb too high.

You may notice that one of the tanks looks a bit odd. Someone decided to fix a defective vent by welding it shut. Someone else had previously decided to fix a failed pressure burst disk by welding it shut. Over a long weekend pressure built up in the tank until it launched itself through a concrete floor and cracked a structural beam in the floor above, then blew out all the walls of the room above.

You really don't want to let cryogenic liquids warm up in a sealed vessel....

This is why you can't reasonably ship it to people. They have to be transported with venting. Even if it could last through transport and not end-up with an empty bottle, LO2 is 100% pure oxidizer and vents continuously in containers, so transporting is regulated.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2016, 06:18:49 am »
It is very simple. Liquid Oxygen does not exist above -118 degrees C, so it is not possible for Triton to use Liquid Oxygen. They cannot be using cryogenic containers, because they are only useful when the contents are at cryogenic temperatures.

If Triton are again being misleading to "protect their patent applications", then they probably should restart their fundraising for a third time. Better still, wait until there is a product.

There is still no sign of an actually working prototype. The latest video is not at all convincing, and the thing in the diver's mouth could be a couple of bits of black poly irrigation tubing stuck into a block of black plasticine for all I can see.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:21:41 am by amspire »

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2016, 07:08:18 am »
It is very simple. Liquid Oxygen does not exist above -118 degrees C, so it is not possible for Triton to use Liquid Oxygen. They cannot be using cryogenic containers, because they are only useful when the contents are at cryogenic temperatures.

If Triton are again being misleading to "protect their patent applications", then they probably should restart their fundraising for a third time. Better still, wait until there is a product.

There is still no sign of an actually working prototype. The latest video is not at all convincing, and the thing in the diver's mouth could be a couple of bits of black poly irrigation tubing stuck into a block of black plasticine for all I can see.

You can certainly keep lo2 in a container, but there will be a boil-off rate depending on pressure and how well the container is insulated.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2016, 08:31:16 am »
On the campaign page: "portable, convenient for travel"

Yes, but with these canisters, your luggage won't fly with you  ;)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2016, 12:22:26 pm »
On the video, there is a newer one. It is really bizarre how it was setup and filmed imo.

Yes, very controlled. You don't see him move position, or enter the water, or exit the water.
All the hallmarks of a staged event rather than a proper demo, totally the opposite to what you want if you wanted to prove it to the skeptics.
The prestidigitation is strong in this one.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2016, 12:31:00 pm »
Comments on the video are moderated too.
No negative comments at all, and you would expect that based on the very high ratio of thumbs down.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2016, 12:41:37 pm »
This is one of those days where I think that crowd funding platforms are digging their own hole.
High profile campaigns are debunked by people that are domain experts within hours. In particular the 'Projects we Love' and 'Editor's Choice' ones.

Crowd funding is great. But if the platforms keep on avoiding due diligence - and pointing to the disclaimers and terms of condition- we're heading to a meltdown.

If you make that much money on your platform, get experts aligned that can perform that bullshit check.
Genuine good projects will not be able to get funded because people are about to get put down by the jokers.
And I think that the IndieGoGo and KickStarter staff are not up to the task.
Yes, they're up to the task of asking their share.
No, They're not up to the task of filtering out the blatant impossible projects.
That's not enough, if crowdfunding is your core business.

Offline Kalidor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2016, 12:55:58 pm »

Where is the problem, you can store it as superheated vapor, what O2 at 1atm / 20deg C is, or supercritical fluid.
Here you can buy some http://www.ebay.com/bhp/oxygen-tank
They are "normally" filled with up to 200 bar = supercritical fluid.

However I would not try to breath pure O2!

Phase diagram of oxygen in the p-T space.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:03:01 pm by Kalidor »
In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2016, 01:15:30 pm »
Supercritical O2 is not the same as Liquid O2. Triton say they are using Liquid O2.

A cylinder of compressed supercritical O2 will have something like 1/5th the capacity as the same volume of liquid O2. Oxygen has no liquid state above the critical point at -118 deg C.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:17:36 pm by amspire »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2016, 01:36:58 pm »
Comments on the video are moderated too.
No negative comments at all, and you would expect that based on the very high ratio of thumbs down.
Yes it is, I can see some of what they deleted through google notifications because I commented before.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:39:39 pm by wraper »

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2016, 02:43:55 pm »

Where is the problem, you can store it as superheated vapor, what O2 at 1atm / 20deg C is, or supercritical fluid.
Here you can buy some http://www.ebay.com/bhp/oxygen-tank
They are "normally" filled with up to 200 bar = supercritical fluid.

However I would not try to breath pure O2!

Phase diagram of oxygen in the p-T space.

Those are GOX tanks, not LOX tanks. They contain no liquid, and can hold far less. You can already buy small breathing gas cylinders, there would be precisely nothing new there. But they aren't going to last 45 minutes.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:48:50 pm by Nerull »

Offline altaic

• Supporter
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2016, 05:16:24 pm »
The breathing rate is off I think too. Lower end for resting on land is 12bpm, resting diver is typically 16bpm,.. he's doing like 6-7 bpm. The volume seems really excessive too

Yes, very controlled. You don't see him move position, or enter the water, or exit the water.
All the hallmarks of a staged event rather than a proper demo, totally the opposite to what you want if you wanted to prove it to the skeptics.
The prestidigitation is strong in this one.

Free divers are trained to control their metabolism and breathing. In the static apnea discipline, where the diver basically meditates near the surface in a pool, people have lasted for over ten minutes with no air. Pretty sure that's what's happening here as far as lasting for a long time on a very small O2 supply. Dodgy marketing indeed.

Re. O2 at 20C, yeah it's supercritical. Thought gaseous O2 was dangerous? Hah, there's no way in hell anybody would carry supercritical oxygen around, let alone ship it, for recreation. Of course, that's unless they've come up with a better storage method, a la forcing hydrogen into a metal matrix to control expansion. Unfortunately, O2 and metal don't really get along...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:18:38 pm by altaic »

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2016, 10:41:55 pm »
Problem is the breathing time. Even the large one of those cylinders has something like 5-6 minute and maybe 10 if youre not moving

I do think LO2 is possible to do and LNO2 is plausible to do. LNO2 is much more complicated and has safety problems amspire mentioned, but would be more convenient for a consumer since the LNO2 can be shipped. The LO2 I don't think is technically that difficult to do, but LO2 transport and handling is much more dangerous/difficult. LO2 actually doesn't have much regulation for individuals from what I can tell, other than transport.

I don't know what to make of the video but highly suspicious of it. They are in Sweden, so I wonder what their laws are like there.

I am really surprised the campaign came back after the first one ended. The original was pretty deceptive, IGG should have banned them but hasn't for some reason     $^).......

Yes, the breathing time of the spare air units is less, however, the Triton system is strapped to your face, whereas a tank doesn't need to be.  The weight of the tank is a non-issue because in water, you don't feel the weight... and size isn't an issue unless you're in tight places, which would be absolutely insanity with a system like Triton (even if it worked).  So what is the benefit of Triton over a compressed air system?  With air, you can literally just connect it to your existing air tank and fill it.  Around here, an 80-120 cu-ft tank costs $5 to fill, and there are lots of places to choose from anywhere that you might want to go diving. 

For LO2... how would they get around the storage/hazard issue?  Maybe I am wrong but it seems that is a pretty extreme use case for LO2... being in the sun, being bounced around on a boat, being in water.  That seems to be pretty huge temperature swings and LO2 is problematic (at best) to store/transport even in much tighter controlled conditions, no?  As for LNO2, you can already get your air tanks filled with "Nitrox" for diving... so that goes back to me not really seeing what Triton's system supposedly brings to the table?  They talk about some sort of chemical oxygen generation and liquid oxygen "working in conjunction with gills" (whatever that means) - so at best it's quite a complicated setup compared to just taking a tank that just needs a regulator and that's it. 

So even if it could work, the only benefit they are offering is a smaller size, but at (significantly) higher cost and less reliability and much more dangerous.  I just can't understand the backers mindset.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2016, 10:50:34 pm »
This is one of those days where I think that crowd funding platforms are digging their own hole.
High profile campaigns are debunked by people that are domain experts within hours. In particular the 'Projects we Love' and 'Editor's Choice' ones.

Crowd funding is great. But if the platforms keep on avoiding due diligence - and pointing to the disclaimers and terms of condition- we're heading to a meltdown.

If you make that much money on your platform, get experts aligned that can perform that bullshit check.
Genuine good projects will not be able to get funded because people are about to get put down by the jokers.
And I think that the IndieGoGo and KickStarter staff are not up to the task.
Yes, they're up to the task of asking their share.
No, They're not up to the task of filtering out the blatant impossible projects.
That's not enough, if crowdfunding is your core business.

Side note: I read an article somewhere, I believe it was recent news, that Kickstarter was hiring an in-house "project feasibility guru", whose job was to assess whether a project was a scam or based on junk science or claims.

I believe it was in response to a Kickstarter project for "washing machine balls", which was an old scam from decades who where plastic balls put into your washing machine were claimed to change the molecules of water and create hydrogen peroxide, eliminating the need for detergent.

I read the comments and they were pathetically funny... dumb backers saying "I have been using these for a few weeks and I don't think they work.  I have friends and coworkers saying I smell and when I tell them I wash clothes regularly, they ask if I am using detergent!".

In this case, I can't see how IGG doesn't have liability.  They were notified that the project was essentially a scam, and they clearly got in touch with Triton and told them they can't keep it up in the manner they did.  So they've demonstrated an interest and effort in filtering out outright scams.  However, it's a fact that LOx can't work if only due to it not existing above -118c, and surely IGG has seen this in the comments and been notified of it by users.  Yet they continue to allow the project to continue.

To me, that's tantamount to willful participation in the scam.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2016, 12:23:35 am »
Yes, the breathing time of the spare air units is less, however, the Triton system is strapped to your face, whereas a tank doesn't need to be.  The weight of the tank is a non-issue because in water, you don't feel the weight... and size isn't an issue unless you're in tight places, which would be absolutely insanity with a system like Triton (even if it worked).  So what is the benefit of Triton over a compressed air system?  With air, you can literally just connect it to your existing air tank and fill it.  Around here, an 80-120 cu-ft tank costs $5 to fill, and there are lots of places to choose from anywhere that you might want to go diving. 

Suppose the thing somehow works... then buy in cost (I doubt someone could purchase a complete SCUBA setup for $299 with similar dive time), size, 'coolness factor'.   

For LO2... how would they get around the storage/hazard issue?  Maybe I am wrong but it seems that is a pretty extreme use case for LO2... being in the sun, being bounced around on a boat, being in water.  That seems to be pretty huge temperature swings and LO2 is problematic (at best) to store/transport even in much tighter controlled conditions, no? 

Youve probably seen people walking around with lo2, something like this Lo2 Portable Storage. This is a medical device with additional regulating components but has a similar storage volume they would need and has a storage time of 9 hours. Being a medical device, it costs $1,000 but the dewar inside of it probably costs a fraction of that (but I dont really know).

Lo2, your always going to end up less than when you start (unless you somehow keep the temps way down with another cryo fluid or device), but you can get the boil off rate fairly low with good insulation and some pressure; you'd have to bring more than you're going to use and you'd probably have to use it somewhat quickly but it can be done.

Actually getting the lo2 is a whole other problem and I doubt you could do it at a reasonable cost except for local pickup from supply houses.

As for LNO2, you can already get your air tanks filled with "Nitrox" for diving... so that goes back to me not really seeing what Triton's system supposedly brings to the table?  They talk about some sort of chemical oxygen generation and liquid oxygen "working in conjunction with gills" (whatever that means) - so at best it's quite a complicated setup compared to just taking a tank that just needs a regulator and that's it. 

So even if it could work, the only benefit they are offering is a smaller size, but at (significantly) higher cost and less reliability and much more dangerous.  I just can't understand the backers mindset.
Supposed the lno2 system actually works (and supposed it is what their system is) at the price and form-factor they're advertising. Then for the LNO2 system it would have some pretty major advantages for a consumer. Cost is the big one, compactness, coolness, shippable consumables... are all factors generally important to consumer. 

Also..why not just make a more advanced snorkel? Were talking 15ft..  Float on top of water, possibly pump/compressor, some valves, run a line or two down.....swim for hours or more... and probably could be done for $299.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:25:32 am by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline altaic

• Supporter
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2016, 01:31:53 am »
Also..why not just make a more advanced snorkel? Were talking 15ft..  Float on top of water, possibly pump/compressor, some valves, run a line or two down.....swim for hours or more... and probably could be done for $299.

Those have existed for a long time-- at least since the 80s. Basically an inner tube with a dive flag sticking up, a compressor, and a long hose with a regulator attached. They used to be pretty huge, with a gas powered compressor and such, but they're probably small and electric now. Maybe even solar powered. *shrug* Definitely not the James Bond kind of awesome this company is trying to claim.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2016, 02:15:49 am »

Those have existed for a long time-- at least since the 80s. Basically an inner tube with a dive flag sticking up, a compressor, and a long hose with a regulator attached. They used to be pretty huge, with a gas powered compressor and such, but they're probably small and electric now. Maybe even solar powered. *shrug* Definitely not the James Bond kind of awesome this company is trying to claim.

I see them. They do look dorky but much more functional I think. Someone could probably do a smaller version and get the price down... right now in the thousands

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf