Author Topic: uRuler  (Read 205067 times)

Offline AnotherDave

Re: uRuler
« Reply #275 on: November 07, 2013, 02:12:01 pm »
So, I live in Sweden and have not received any µRuler as of yet... Should I be worried?  :P
Btw, thnx for all great work Dave!

Edit: Oh, missed earlier posts. Seems that some Swedish residents got theirs, but not all. Odd.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:24:26 pm by AnotherDave »

Offline MadModder

• Regular Contributor
    • The Mad Modders
« Reply #276 on: November 07, 2013, 03:01:12 pm »
No mail today. *sigh* I wonder how they succeed to have such a delay between deliveries in the same country.  ???

Offline Scutarius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #277 on: November 07, 2013, 04:52:53 pm »
You know Dave, I'm a very impatient person. When I order something online, I want instant gratification. And the micro ruler is one of the longest times I have waited for anything. But at no point have I been the slightest bit impatient. It all boils down to communication. Your updates are invaluable, and you are teaching us all good lessons about how to handle large scale crowd funded projects. Keep up the good work, and don't worry about the delays. We are learning more from your troubles.

+1

+1

This is a general feeling, no worries.

Offline XynxNet

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #278 on: November 07, 2013, 05:46:13 pm »
Customs could be indeed the problem. Two years ago i missed a contest-deadline because my free chipkit was in customs for 4 month. It also went through sweeden by the way. ;)

Offline SpectrHz

• Contributor
    • My blog
« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2013, 06:40:04 pm »
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I don't think I would mind very much if the rulers arrived late or not at all, it was only 15 dollars or so, and for the headache this has caused Dave, I think it's okay. However you should always anticipate more than you planned :P
My blog, Maker, Engineer, Physics girl

http://spectrhz.wordpress.com/

Offline envisionelec

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #280 on: November 07, 2013, 07:02:46 pm »
I'd completely forgotten about them. Honestly, I've received $15 in epic fail stories since launch.

Must...resist...adding...to....Dodgy Crowd Source Funded Projects thread.  :box:

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: November 07, 2013, 07:16:24 pm »
Well, as mine will be delivered by that paragon of virtue, promptness and honesty, said being the South African Post Office, I have no worries, it will take 6 weeks or so, like any other letter international or domestic.

You have to admit it takes work to have an organisation that went on a go slow and noone noticed........ ;)

But they do have some nice customer facing people, I have met a few that are nice to meet across the counters.

Offline kayvee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #282 on: November 07, 2013, 07:28:18 pm »
Wragtig, SeanB.  You have more faith in the system than I do. 

I've penciled in mid Jan to go check my box!  |O
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:40:14 pm by kayvee »

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #283 on: November 07, 2013, 09:14:07 pm »
Any new batch coming? Or is it possible to get the PCB files?

Offline bob808

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #284 on: November 07, 2013, 09:51:16 pm »
Hi Dave!
I'd be interested in a couple of rulers.
Are you planning to at least start a feeler thread? I'm sure there still are a few that wish they knew about this project. I recently found your videos on Youtube and I got hooked  :-/O

Offline BillyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #285 on: November 07, 2013, 09:57:33 pm »
You know Dave, I'm a very impatient person. When I order something online, I want instant gratification. And the micro ruler is one of the longest times I have waited for anything. But at no point have I been the slightest bit impatient. It all boils down to communication. Your updates are invaluable, and you are teaching us all good lessons about how to handle large scale crowd funded projects. Keep up the good work, and don't worry about the delays. We are learning more from your troubles.

Very well put. I feel the same. It's proving to be educational for everyone, and in fact entertaining although I do feel for Dave as obstacle after obstacle is thrown at him. It's not the end of the world if my rulers are late, or even don't arrive at all, it's not like he isn't trying his best!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #286 on: November 07, 2013, 10:50:14 pm »
and for the headache this has caused Dave, I think it's okay. However you should always anticipate more than you planned :P

That's the thing. If it was only a few hundred people tops, as I originally thought, everyone would have had them long ago. Because there wouldn't have been the extra 3 week delay on the manufacture, and then I would have packed and shipped them all myself via Australia post. Barring the missing/torn envelope fiasco, most Australian backers got their rulers ages ago.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #287 on: November 08, 2013, 12:49:10 am »
and for the headache this has caused Dave, I think it's okay. However you should always anticipate more than you planned :P

That's the thing. If it was only a few hundred people tops, as I originally thought, everyone would have had them long ago. Because there wouldn't have been the extra 3 week delay on the manufacture, and then I would have packed and shipped them all myself via Australia post. Barring the missing/torn envelope fiasco, most Australian backers got their rulers ages ago.

Well the way I see it was it is a learning experience for 4 separate parties. Pozzible learned what it was like to have a massively successful campaign, you learned about the hassles of managing a massively successful campaign, your mailing service learned what it was like to ship a multinational campaign, and we learned that hey, not everything is in the control of the campaign owner, but by providing good feedback to the supporters nobody got upset.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline seanhaz

• Contributor
« Reply #288 on: November 08, 2013, 02:17:55 am »
my uRulers have arrived today here in New Zealand, no Swedish stamps or marks, only a NZ mail sticker, took awhile to get here if it was direct, anyway i Love them!! well worth the wait, thanks Dave!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:24:03 am by seanhaz »

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #289 on: November 08, 2013, 04:31:37 am »
Another happy camper here in NZ! Arrived safe and sound, cheers!  :-+

Offline rarthur22

« Reply #290 on: November 08, 2013, 05:28:10 pm »
Hi Dave,  Have you considered doing another batch?  I see that you have all of the shipping bugs worked out. I missed the boat on getting one.

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #291 on: November 08, 2013, 05:48:59 pm »
Hi Dave,  Have you considered doing another batch?  I see that you have all of the shipping bugs worked out. I missed the boat on getting one.

Still haven't got one, so shipping bugs are not sorted out.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #292 on: November 08, 2013, 06:13:38 pm »
I think next time Dave should choose a person per country and ship them the rulers, envelopes and the cards along with the country recipients, and then farm it out to a distributed network. The remote packer pays the postage for the area and posts them, and this can be regarded as a contribution to the forum to keep Sagan with a roof over his head.

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
« Reply #293 on: November 08, 2013, 06:14:45 pm »

Hi Dave,
I'll be your token upset customer!  :rant:

Ok, now this is a complete crowd funded campaign.  :-+ 

Joking!  I  know Dave did way more than your ravage Joe would in a similar situation.
I have waited a year for other kickstarters that cost way more cash out of my pocket,  no skin off my nose.  ^-^

Thanks for the updates!
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Offline psycho0815

• Regular Contributor
    • H-REG Blog
« Reply #294 on: November 08, 2013, 06:16:04 pm »
Any new batch coming? Or is it possible to get the PCB files?

You can get the pcb files at http://www.eevblog.com/projects/uruler/. I think they've been there for a while.
If you like, check out my blog (german):
http://h-reg.blogspot.de

Offline FoXX

• Contributor
« Reply #295 on: November 08, 2013, 07:52:04 pm »
I think next time Dave should choose a person per country and ship them the rulers, envelopes and the cards along with the country recipients, and then farm it out to a distributed network. The remote packer pays the postage for the area and posts them, and this can be regarded as a contribution to the forum to keep Sagan with a roof over his head.

Thats a nice idea SeanB  :-+ :-+

Offline jolshefsky

• Regular Contributor
    • Jason DoesItAll
« Reply #296 on: November 08, 2013, 08:46:11 pm »
Hey Dave,

Would it be okay with you to send the Gerber files to a PCB manufacturer for our own uses (I'm thinking OSHPark in the U.S. to get single [ok, 3 min.] unit-quantities)?

If so, could you take a moment to enumerate the file naming convention to make this happen?

Thanks a million!
May your deeds return to you tenfold.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #297 on: November 08, 2013, 09:00:13 pm »

Crowdfunding and crowdworking at the same time!

Sounds like a great idea, i would be happy to help

Offline Elandril

• Contributor
« Reply #298 on: November 08, 2013, 10:59:44 pm »
That is a nice idea, but it could spell trouble in terms of customs fees, because the main shipment to some countries for sure will not be accepted to be below the tax free value.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #299 on: November 08, 2013, 11:11:06 pm »

That is not as easy as it sounds. There are 58 counties!
Even if I did the major countries I'd have to liaise with (and trust) a few dozen people to send these things out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf