Author Topic: uRuler  (Read 204190 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: uRuler
« Reply #225 on: November 06, 2013, 12:46:31 pm »
Hmm, this viewer in Singapore got his rulers via Sweden!
Something smells fishy...
I'm getting the feeling that my mailing house sent them all to another mailing house in Sweden!
That would explain why Sweden got them first (and no one else yet), and also the delay.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:53:10 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #226 on: November 06, 2013, 01:04:37 pm »
Mine has arrived, although it may have arrived earlier as I didn't check the mail box yesterday.

Just out of curiosity Dave, is it possible to post a by country count of people who ordered? I'm intrigued with how popular this site is within the Asian regions.

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #227 on: November 06, 2013, 02:08:56 pm »
I'm getting the feeling that my mailing house sent them all to another mailing house in Sweden!
That would explain why Sweden got them first (and no one else yet), and also the delay.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYY4R04CYAEVQqg.jpg

Wouldn't surprise me, sending one package to Sweden to be broken up across the Euro-Region would be cheaper then individual postage costs.
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #228 on: November 06, 2013, 06:06:08 pm »
Just out of curiosity Dave, is it possible to post a by country count of people who ordered? I'm intrigued with how popular this site is within the Asian regions.

Dave browsed quickly through addresses in one of the videos, all he showed was countries and cities/regions. I will probably have only µRulers in this city when they arrive.

I hope next project will ship from singapore or hongkong with tracking number since it doesn't cost almost anything extra at all. I would happily pay 1$-2$ extra for ability to track things.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:08:23 pm by Legit-Design »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #229 on: November 06, 2013, 09:39:33 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me, sending one package to Sweden to be broken up across the Euro-Region would be cheaper then individual postage costs.

Sure, but last I checked Singapore isn't in Europe!
Still no reports of any other country receiving them.

Online Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: November 06, 2013, 10:46:40 pm »
'Postage Paid Australia' appears to be printed on the envelope under the Swedish sticker. Does Sweden gave the cheapest postage rates in Europe?

Offline centon1

• Supporter
« Reply #231 on: November 06, 2013, 11:26:06 pm »
Dave,

I think they ripped you off... or did you provide your blessing?

'Ladyada' has just offered one in black.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #232 on: November 06, 2013, 11:34:34 pm »
No rulers in manchester uk and i have things to measure!  :scared:

Offline Noize

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #233 on: November 06, 2013, 11:49:20 pm »
Any longer we have to send him a mail bag. "Ahh it's count down timer, no! its and IE..........................." :-DD

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #234 on: November 07, 2013, 03:40:19 am »
Yeah, odd that Sweden have them, and us in NZ, right next door are still waiting on ours... Never mind; they'll turn up eventually.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #235 on: November 07, 2013, 04:17:37 am »
I think they ripped you off... or did you provide your blessing?

Totally different design, nothing to do with me. I don't own the concept of a PCB ruler.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #236 on: November 07, 2013, 04:20:22 am »
Yeah, odd that Sweden have them, and us in NZ, right next door are still waiting on ours... Never mind; they'll turn up eventually.

Given that they were supposedly shipped 16 days ago, the only explanation is that they were all shipped to another mailing house in sweden.
I'm going to wait for reports of other countres having the Swedish postage mark before ask the mailing house to explain WTF...

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #237 on: November 07, 2013, 04:34:24 am »

Given that they were supposedly shipped 16 days ago, the only explanation is that they were all shipped to another mailing house in sweden.
I'm going to wait for reports of other countres having the Swedish postage mark before ask the mailing house to explain WTF...

You got outsourced...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2013, 04:43:27 am »
You got outsourced...

I'm pretty certain they at least printed the envelopes in oz!, and most likely stuffed them too, but I'm getting the vibe that the actual mailing was not done by regular Aust post.
Heck, if I pop them in the local post box, they get delivered overseas in only a few days, maybe a week tops for some countries.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:46:59 am by EEVblog »

alm

« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2013, 04:52:15 am »
If a large part of the recipients are in Europe, it may very well be cheaper to pay low rates within Europe and pay extra for the lower number of NZ/Asian recipients. I wouldn't expect postage from SE to America to be particularly cheap, though. If they outsourced this to a company doing a lot of international mail, then they may very well have negotiated a low bulk rate with postal services in whatever country offers the lowest rate. Sending mail at the lowest possible rate can lead to some interesting mail routing.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2013, 04:55:32 am »
If a large part of the recipients are in Europe, it may very well be cheaper to pay low rates within Europe and pay extra for the lower number of NZ/Asian recipients. I wouldn't expect postage from SE to America to be particularly cheap, though. If they outsourced this to a company doing a lot of international mail, then they may very well have negotiated a low bulk rate with postal services in whatever country offers the lowest rate. Sending mail at the lowest possible rate can lead to some interesting mail routing.

Yes, perhaps. There could be separate mailing houses for the US/Canada and other regions as well. But still, 16 days is getting beyond acceptable. I could have spent 5 days packing them myself, and then 5 days via Australia Post and almost everyone worldwide would have had them by now. I paid $2.28 in bulk postage for each one compared to OzPost's single standard international rate of $2.60. Still, I was under the impression that they would all be lodged with Australia Post. I would have happily paid the $2.60 if it didn't mean this delay. I'm not very happy about this whole thing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:59:47 am by EEVblog »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2013, 05:07:06 am »
Probably time to check your contract with that mailing house.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline vk6hdx

• Regular Contributor
    • vk6hdx - Twitter
« Reply #242 on: November 07, 2013, 05:40:09 am »

Totally different design, nothing to do with me. I don't own the concept of a PCB ruler.

Plus Dave's one is well above average, being an inch longer (i'm talking about the ruler)  ;)

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #243 on: November 07, 2013, 05:46:29 am »
I did find this mention of DLWW, from this and another link (with NSFW spam links) they are a drop shipping company sometimes used by dodgy organisations.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bidzcom-DLWW-Inc-Sweden/Culver-City-California-Internet-90232/Bidzcom-DLWW-Sweden-Ordered-Jewelry-For-Christmas-Just-Received-In-January-Culver-City-301062

It seems like a good company to use if you want your mail delivered slowly, on purpose, otherwise not worth the trouble.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #244 on: November 07, 2013, 06:15:47 am »

I am Singapore too, but no ruler in my post box.  Incidentally, I have ordered some Adafruit rulers which only became in-stock just recently, and they may arrive earlier than uRuler. 

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2013, 06:23:47 am »

Contract?
I pay money, they send...

Offline baoshi

• Regular Contributor
    • Digital Me
« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2013, 06:28:52 am »
Yaroslav @drug123 twittered me that Sweden post operates in Singapore. That explains why I receive uRuler just after Sweden.

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2013, 06:43:23 am »

Contract?
I pay money, they send...

There's your mistake.  You should have got several teams of lawyers in on both sides. You probably could have posted them in 2015 at a cost of $274000.

Offline chip273

• Contributor
« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2013, 06:48:00 am »
I could have spent 5 days packing them myself, and then 5 days via Australia Post and almost everyone worldwide would have had them by now.
Wrong, German Customs are rigorous with everything not from the EU. Australia, China, USA, Hongkong, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, doesn't matter, it always takes an additional 2 weeks for my packets. Always. (Even if the item value is so low that I don't have to pay anything, or even if it is just a paper letter, yes even the handwritten ones.

By the Way, hi, I'm new in the forums..

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #249 on: November 07, 2013, 07:09:09 am »
I could have spent 5 days packing them myself, and then 5 days via Australia Post and almost everyone worldwide would have had them by now.
Wrong, German Customs are rigorous with everything not from the EU. Australia, China, USA, Hongkong, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, doesn't matter, it always takes an additional 2 weeks for my packets. Always. (Even if the item value is so low that I don't have to pay anything, or even if it is just a paper letter, yes even the handwritten ones.

By the Way, hi, I'm new in the forums..

What's up with that, by the way? 

I was following the Pebble watch fiasco, and the German customs people are outright draconian in making it as difficult as possible for backers to get their loot. 

It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf