Author Topic: Vion: The World's Silliest Multimeter  (Read 74910 times)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: Vion : The Worlds Silliest Multimeter
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2018, 05:04:21 pm »
This statement is comedy gold:

Our intentions are not to come off as a scheme or as a fraud

If people are actually funding this, it is successful at fundraising, in the least. I imagine some of the people working on this (if it's more than 1 guy) are extremely unhappy with 99% of the design decisions. But if they are simply following w/e brings in the bucks, it's kind of funny.

It will 100% be a scam, whether intentional or not. There's no way in hell this crap will get certified for going onto the market (besides shady stuff on Ebay or AliExpress). Then what? Bet they just run off with the money and say "oops, sorry!" >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2018, 12:58:46 am »
You know what is so sad about this project?

The whole idea of having just a bluetooth multimeter (and using your phone as a screen) isn't that bad at all.
I would easily pay a couple of bucks having a few of these.

Just the way it's done is just so extremely depressing. :palm:

Offline Muttley SnickersTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2018, 01:22:12 am »
This statement is comedy gold:
Our intentions are not to come off as a scheme or as a fraud

If people are actually funding this, it is successful at fundraising, in the least. I imagine some of the people working on this (if it's more than 1 guy) are extremely unhappy with 99% of the design decisions. But if they are simply following w/e brings in the bucks, it's kind of funny.

From what I understand they have been around for quite a while trying to get support for nothing more than a concept, by their own admission when the Kickstarter campaign started all they had was a mock up of a gadget with an over embellished marketing campaign and not even a working prototype and to date the backers still don't have proof of an operational device. Anyway, I was looking forward to them releasing something that resembled a test instrument but it now appears that they could be running multiple campaigns for a variety of things with nothing to show, I haven't looked into these as yet but apparently others have.

Redacted Name 2 days ago
The worry is that you seem to have multiple kick starter campaigns running at the same time and Nunalo, IOFIT & Zeroi all have comments relating too poor comms, poor delivery, incorrect orders etc. Your now even starting a new project Klinstem. This makes me feel you are constantly pushing out products just to continue your Kick starter funding process and don't manage to perfect any product as the next one takes over. Please process a refund as I've lost faith in the project with the current delays and lack of any finite info except for mock-ups of app and drawing of device.

Allectrics.Inc Creator 1 day ago
Redacted Name
Hi! Thanks for your question and your emphasis on trust. We understand what you are saying and also hold that same value. We are in no way concealing the fact that we are a company that has originated from South Korea. But we also want to acknowledge that we have opened accounts in the U.S. and have registered as an American corporation as well. Altos Business Group is a marketing consulting firm that is assisting us and other companies that you mentioned here and there on our campaign's marketing initiatives. We are extremely proud of being a Korean company with headquarters in South Korea. But we also have legal status in the U.S., and we are physically operating and running our campaign in Newport Beach, CA right now. We appreciate your dedication to transparency, but we would also appreciate if you would refrain from making claims and conjectures about us when you have no direct affiliation with our company.
Have a great rest of your day!    Vion Team

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2018, 02:18:33 am »
Are there links to the other Kickstarter campaigns they are supposedly running?

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2018, 05:51:17 pm »

The whole idea of having just a bluetooth multimeter (and using your phone as a screen) isn't that bad at all.

Quite a few recent multimeters have a bluetooth interface actually. I've never found having to use a phone practical at all, but YMMV.

• Supporter
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2018, 01:46:33 am »
They have recently released another update with a few enhancements to this gadget and are also telling the Kickstarter backers that delivery will still be at the end of September, some of these Kickstarter backers are asking for a refund but their requests appear to be falling on deaf ears. For the Indiegogo backers delivery will now be at the end of the year or so they are being told.

Vion Comments.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/comments

Kickstarter Campaign
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter

Indiegogo Campaign
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vion-auto-detection-l-bluetooth-l-smart-multimeter#/

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2018, 07:21:02 pm »
OMFG :rant:

MORE RETARDATION...you can't measure a shorted CFL...because of the FUSE inside. :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2018, 08:12:01 pm »
Your Fluke can't do Facebook or Instagram.

With Vion you can boast to your friends that you are actually measuring a voltage above -gulp- 12 volts and lived to tell the story.
This is a killer app! (pun intended).  >:D

Now, seriously........
I believe this Vion thing will sell to the social media crowd, and the developer will be laughing all the way to the bank.
One of my friends has IRC plugin for HP6632B power supplies so that you can query or set the voltage/current over IRC  :-DD

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2018, 09:30:35 pm »
Your Fluke can't do Facebook or Instagram.

With Vion you can boast to your friends that you are actually measuring a voltage above -gulp- 12 volts and lived to tell the story.
This is a killer app! (pun intended).  >:D

Now, seriously........
I believe this Vion thing will sell to the social media crowd, and the developer will be laughing all the way to the bank.
One of my friends has IRC plugin for HP6632B power supplies so that you can query or set the voltage/current over IRC  :-DD

please say that's connected to some poor guy's tongue... >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2018, 07:31:39 am »
It appears that this lot have done a couple of updates recently and now have something that resembles a mobile phone application or something, they also declared not long ago that shipping would start at the end of September which is more or less about now in case they weren't aware.
 :popcorn:

Update Number 19
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/posts/2292364

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2018, 10:55:50 am »
The interface and readout at least looks decent. "Sensitivity", what the sam hell does that mean? Don't tell me this thing doesn't have auto-range, that would be stupid...oh wait... ::)

Also, again with "emductor", and a scope? Perfect for measuring mains noise >:D "Power out"...does that mean it will output voltage, turn off, or knock your power out because you shorted mains?
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2018, 11:58:39 am »
I suspect that the "Res" button means the user needs resuscitation so the phone has the ability to call an ambulance, this will be handy for those people who think they can suddenly start dicking around with electricity when in reality they have no idea and should stay the fuck away from it.   :o

No min/max function that I could see either which is a big fail particularly for remote testing say from across the room or at the rear of a vehicle, the scope feature probably means graphing or trending but we won't really know until they release the application which was going to include a user manual.   ::)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2018, 02:50:10 pm »
There is some sort of min max, the bottom says low and high. No button for them though.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

• Supporter
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2018, 04:01:25 am »
Well spotted, that text is way too small for my eyes to see so I probably should have grabbed a screenshot and had a closer look, I was sure that the lower left was showing Hold and the lower right was indicating Low as in the battery is flat again.  ::)

Another look at their video linked below shows that the high and low are only displayed for a second or two at 0.29-0.31 so the readings are not held as would be the case with a dedicated Min-Max function, with a bit of luck they should be able to address and fix this feature in the application otherwise the high and low indication on this gadget is just plain silly.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2018, 03:49:34 pm »
They won't fix it, they'll make it worse. "Just plain silly (and dangerous)" should be their motto!
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2018, 11:20:04 pm »

What's an Emductor?  :-//

[EDIT.. Addition:]

Maybe this was answered before, but they show people testing batteries and it says "Good". Under what load are these batteries subjected to? I mean, you can get some voltage out of the battery but the minute you actually draw current from it, won't the voltage drop? How is this thing supposed to tell you anything but the most dead batteries? What about dying batteries, and what about down-cycling batteries from high current-draw devices like motorized toys to things like remote controls? I don't get it.

And then they show somebody checking continuity on a light bulb? What? To figure out if the bulb is good? Seriously? A $3 DMM with a buzzer can tell you this, plus looking at the damn filament through the clear glass as they show on their Kickstarter page. Or just screw it in and see if it turns on? Knowing who might buy this, I wouldn't be surprised if they try checking LED and CFL bulbs also like this... what a fail.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:29:13 am by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2018, 01:48:22 am »
Or just screw it in and see if it turns on?

Then pop out to buy a new bulb and find it's the power supply or bulb socket that was the problem.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2018, 01:20:22 pm »
And then they show somebody checking continuity on a light bulb? What? To figure out if the bulb is good? Seriously? A $3 DMM with a buzzer can tell you this, ...

Aha - but a $3 DMM cannot receive a phone call!  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2018, 01:06:44 pm »
Anyone else hate this trend of "it works with your smartphone!" with so many products now days.  To me this is basically "we didn't want to make our own display electronics so you better have a phone that is compatible with our crappy software".

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment, tooki

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2018, 02:53:13 pm »

You might be interested in the Mooshimeter then, It's the bluetooth meter done right.
I'll have to buy one myself one of these days..

https://moosh.im/mooshimeter/
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

• Supporter
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2018, 03:13:08 am »
They stated a number of times previously that the gadgets would be shipped at the end of September but have now delayed shipping once again due to safety concerns. By their own admission there was a potential risk of a spark from the USB connection which could cause the battery to overheat and in turn result in the device melting or catching fire, they wanted to avoid this from happening.   :o ::)

Announcement Oct 2 2018
"Hey Backers,
We've received several messages surrounding shipping dates and we wanted to provide you with some information for you guys. But first, let us provide you with some good news first. We are almost close to finishing the Vion application! Here are a couple of sneak peek shots of what it will look like.

Now in regards to the shipping dates, as we were getting ready for mass production, our engineering team discovered that there was one component of VION that had to be adjusted. The distance between the USB charging port and the PCB board was too small which did not provide a good insulation distance. This meant that while the chances were very low, a spark could overheat the battery and cause it to melt or catch on fire. We wanted to avoid this from happening and so our team has been working hard to bring that risk to zero.

Therefore, we have had to adjust our molds before going into mass production and this has been the primary reason why we have not been able to ship yet. With that being said, our new expected shipping date is around the end of November. We understand that we have not kept our promise to ship for the third time and for those of you who support us regardless of recent happenings, we are eternally grateful. We promise that VION will not let you down. Our team will regularly post updates as soon as we get them. Thank you so much. Sincerely  VION Team
"

Vion Updates.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/updates

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2018, 01:24:19 pm »
:-DD

That is either the least significant safety issue that they found and they are clueless, or they know it's garbage and they threw out this excuse to the noobs that don't understand safety while they try to address the real issues.

Side note, whats the CAT ratings on that "mooshimeter"? I mean, I get the point of it is to be 100% isolated from human contact but still, better that it doesn't explode.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2018, 06:50:23 pm »
Side note, whats the CAT ratings on that "mooshimeter"? I mean, I get the point of it is to be 100% isolated from human contact but still, better that it doesn't explode.

Don't think it has a CAT rating, but here are the specs:
https://moosh.im/mooshimeter/specs/

EDIT: it has apparently CAT III rating:
http://www.gadgetexplained.com/2016/12/cat-iii-600v-mooshimeter-can-do.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:51:57 pm by janoc »

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2018, 09:44:50 pm »
So how is the project coming along? :popcorn:

Bluetooth and phone apps are so 2017. You guys should go for a blockchain-based multimeter or something.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2018, 08:34:11 am »
Quote from: Vion update
The distance between the USB charging port and the PCB board [sic] was too small which did not provide a good insulation distance.
So it has one‽

Quote from: Vion update
Therefore, we have had to adjust our molds
Since when does one mold a PCB or a USB port?

Don't think it has a CAT rating, but here are the specs:
https://moosh.im/mooshimeter/specs/

EDIT: it has apparently CAT III rating:
http://www.gadgetexplained.com/2016/12/cat-iii-600v-mooshimeter-can-do.html
IIRC, Mooshimeter's CAT III, but if you cut out the plastic that covers the SD card slot (so you can use the slot), that voids the certification. (It's probably no less safe, but I guess it wasn't safety tested in that configuration.)
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf