Author Topic: WaterSeer  (Read 37188 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
WaterSeer
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:13:00 am »
Epic take down by Thunderf00t:

The following users thanked this post: LA7SJA

Offline Kalidor

• Regular Contributor
Re: WaterSeer
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:22:09 pm »
It's like Fontus on steroids  |O
For $268 you will get a poster  :palm:
https://igg.me/at/waterseer/x/10280792
In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 07:03:56 pm »
Yup, again with the wishful thinking. :clap:
I think a better way to save the children would be to give them a proper education so that they don't go to universities with the idea that science is racist because it can't explain black magic, which is totally real and works because reasons.  :blah:
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

The following users thanked this post: CM800

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:40:14 pm »
We invite scientific and technical scrutiny. We all get better by examining and improving our ideas. In fact, we founded VICI Labs to accelerate ideas from ‘Vision to Value’.

The technical aspects of the video actually show how WaterSeer can work, not how it can’t. Anyone who sees water condense on a cold glass or runs an air conditioner knows how this works and how water comes out of the air. When you see something working, you don’t deny it because it doesn’t fit your understanding of the theory. Facts are stubborn things.

The attacks on The National Peace Corps Association, UC Berkeley, The Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology, and The Jacobs Institute for Design and Innovation are inappropriate, unprofessional, and unfair. I am confident that their reputation for excellence and working for the public good can withstand any examination. They are certainly more credible, as individuals and as institutions, than the producers of the attack video.

VICI Labs, T3 TigerTech and the people who work in them have a public record. In any case, we stand behind our work and our goals to make the world better by daring greatly and doing things differently. That is why WaterSeer is a not-for-profit initiative and all funds raised go to refining the design, expanding field testing, manufacturing, and deployment to support the WaterSeer Community, early adopters, and all our contributors. The ultimate proof of WaterSeer will be in its performance in daily life.

Finally, personal attacks, particularly on the engineering and design students, is reprehensible in the extreme. It is shameful, particularly when done for entertainment purposes, which appears to be the intention.

We invite you to join us, and join the WaterSeer Community. Perhaps the resources, time and effort developing the attack video could have been spent trying to solve the problem or working to improve the concept. Water access is a daunting, worldwide challenge. It is expanding as populations grow, pollutants spread, aquifers run dry, and the climate changes.

Let’s work to solve this problem.
From their Facebook page. Hilarious.

MOD EDIT: Added quotes so people don't think it's you saying this!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:35:30 am by EEVblog »
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:53:46 pm »
Its undeniable that if the sub-surface ground temperature is above the dew point, there will be no condensation in the bottom bulb of the device.  Also, anyone who has ever cleaned an air conditioner condensate tray knows that water condensed from ambient air is full of contaminates especially in arid areas with high dust levels.

The following users thanked this post: Connoiseur

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 08:54:03 pm »
Thermodynamics aside since Thunderf00t did an excellent job, how are they going to clean the reservoir? The air coming through will be carrying, besides dust and dirt, spores and bacteria. A wet (if it is working) and dark place is a nice environment for mold and bacteria to grow. They could join the ranks of one of the causes of outbreaks of E. coli and Listeria.

Are they going to have to dig the thing up and clean it? Inject bactericides/fungicides and then have to use water from another source to flush it? Add on a filtration system that will require additional initial cost and ongoing maintenance? Who is going to be trained to do such things and where are they going to get a dependable source of supplies to complete such tasks?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:38:03 am »
We invite scientific and technical scrutiny. We all get better by examining and improving our ideas. In fact, we founded VICI Labs to accelerate ideas from ‘Vision to Value’.

The technical aspects of the video actually show how WaterSeer can work, not how it can’t. Anyone who sees water condense on a cold glass or runs an air conditioner knows how this works and how water comes out of the air. When you see something working, you don’t deny it because it doesn’t fit your understanding of the theory. Facts are stubborn things.

The attacks on The National Peace Corps Association, UC Berkeley, The Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology, and The Jacobs Institute for Design and Innovation are inappropriate, unprofessional, and unfair. I am confident that their reputation for excellence and working for the public good can withstand any examination. They are certainly more credible, as individuals and as institutions, than the producers of the attack video.

VICI Labs, T3 TigerTech and the people who work in them have a public record. In any case, we stand behind our work and our goals to make the world better by daring greatly and doing things differently. That is why WaterSeer is a not-for-profit initiative and all funds raised go to refining the design, expanding field testing, manufacturing, and deployment to support the WaterSeer Community, early adopters, and all our contributors. The ultimate proof of WaterSeer will be in its performance in daily life.

Finally, personal attacks, particularly on the engineering and design students, is reprehensible in the extreme. It is shameful, particularly when done for entertainment purposes, which appears to be the intention.

We invite you to join us, and join the WaterSeer Community. Perhaps the resources, time and effort developing the attack video could have been spent trying to solve the problem or working to improve the concept. Water access is a daunting, worldwide challenge. It is expanding as populations grow, pollutants spread, aquifers run dry, and the climate changes.

Let’s work to solve this problem.

Their response did not go down well!  :-DD

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 03:49:24 am »
Captured in case they delete it:

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 03:49:59 am »
The poster is $33.  For $268, 3 of these things will be sent somewhere.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 03:50:56 am »
At least they aren't deleting Facebook comments (yet).
I don't see one single post supporting them. Guess they don't have that many fanboys.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 04:14:55 am »
From a first reading, I think this is the smartest campaign ever.  By smart, I mean it is making them a lot of easy money.  Better than robbing banks.

I see nothing that guarantees these even work or even if there will be a real product.

Starting at the top:

$268 x 99   for 3 of these to be sent somewhere (not to the buyer) No guarantee they work.

$ 33 x 56  for a poster   OK

$67 x 7 (total bullshit - and 7 fell for it)

$134 x 898   Reserve one (?), download a poster.  Connect with Peace Corps Association, I wonder who they are.  Could be an off shore company.  The Peace Corp that you might think of is called National Peace Corps Association.  So the Peace Corps Association could be the bar Bob is drinking in.  For $134 you might get an email that Bob got it.

$500 x 7  Video and web link of the actual WaterSeer regional deployment that you sponsored!    So for $500 you can get a video of Bob looking at something.

The remaining are just as crazy.

The way I read this they do not send anyone anything.  There does not have to be a real thing.  A plastic toy sent to a bar would satisfied their campaign.

I would like to see the bar named "Peace Corp Association"   So they can open something in any country and call it PCA.

Best scam I have ever seen.  Legally I cannot see they have to do much, just some plastic tubes with a small fan on top.

Boy wish I could have thought of this.   I do not think any lawyer could touch them.  These people are as smart as our politicians.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline fubar.gr

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 06:36:40 am »
My house is on a rather humid region so I got a good quality dehumidifier (Meaco 20L).

On days with high humidity, it will fill its 5 liter container within 10 hours or less. On low humidity days I can leave it running for 24 hours straight and it won't gather more than half a liter.

This is for a high efficiency mains powered device in a rather humid environment.

I can't imagine an unpowered device on a freaking desert gathering even a single droplet of water.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 09:03:34 am »
From a first reading, I think this is the smartest campaign ever.  By smart, I mean it is making them a lot of easy money.  Better than robbing banks.
I see nothing that guarantees these even work or even if there will be a real product.

Correct, they want the money for further research and prepping for production (which is of course stupid considering they haven't actually finished the research and prototypes).
Crowd funders like these can be the new perpetual research grant if you have a fancy enough idea and video.

Offline Khendrask

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 11:04:10 am »
This alone puts all UC Berkley grads on a no-hire list.

At least for any real company.

Offline Kalidor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 11:48:43 am »
The poster is $33.  For $268, 3 of these things will be sent somewhere.

I didn't read that exactly, for every perk it says "Download the high resolution full color WaterSeer poster!"
and from $500 up "Become a two year partner in the WaterSeer Community". I can guess what this means.  :-DD

So not one perk where they have to do anything for it. Like Airing no obligations at all.
In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 12:18:02 pm »
This alone puts all UC Berkley grads on a no-hire list.

At least for any real company.

They won't need jobs as they are being equipped with all the skills they need to raise money for BS products and lets face it the world is full of fools willing to part with their money.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 05:00:24 pm »
Dammit! I found this a long time ago and was thinking of posting it but didn't because it's not electrical. :palm:

But seriously, they should stop tempting the starving kids in Africa with "free water from air" :bullshit:.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 05:14:34 pm »
So not one perk where they have to do anything for it. Like Airing no obligations at all.

This is not what they are saying, it's just that the perk descriptions are as poorly thought out as the rest of the project.  If you read the IGG FAQ:

Q - If I give $134, or more, will I receive a WaterSeer device, once they are fully designed and manufactured?
A - Yes. Your contribution of $134 or more is a registered pre-order. You order will be filled following the first manufacturing run.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 06:41:36 am »
Q - Does the cost of a WaterSeer include shipping?
A – The ‘Early Adopter’ discounted price will expire on 23 Nov 2016. It does not include shipping.

If they ever do actually ship something, shipping on something of that size is likely to be substantial.
If it was actually worthwhile, there are a few ways to minimise the shipping at the cost of some extra assembly steps.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 08:27:16 am »
Can't we just ignore those pesky thermodynamics? They always foil such awesome ideas.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 08:36:17 am »
Can't we just ignore those pesky thermodynamics? They always foil such awesome ideas.

Indeed, it seems that science and facts just get in the way of a good money raiser...  The rebuke from the university was just emotionally charged drivel (he's picking on me boo hoo) rather than any kind of fact laden push back, what a surprise! "just a leave our poor students alone so they can focus on saving the world..."

There seems to be an increasing amount of this low quality/low facts BS coming out of universities these days, they are so commercially focussed that they'll support any old enterprise/startup shite with no diligence applied at all.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 08:37:37 am »
Thermodynamics aside since Thunderf00t did an excellent job, how are they going to clean the reservoir?

Zero thought has been put into this it seems., just like the rest of the project.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 08:49:45 am »
Thermodynamics aside since Thunderf00t did an excellent job, how are they going to clean the reservoir?

Zero thought has been put into this it seems., just like the rest of the project.

Q - How will the device be cleaned? How will you keep debris and insects out of the water?
A - In the current design concept, we use a filter to keep debris and insects from falling into the device. The WaterSeer condensation chamber below ground is inserted in a sleeve so it is easily removable for inspection and cleaning. Field tests showed the water collected to be virtually free of particulates over a one week period, and cleaner than rain water in terms of pollutants and pathogens.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: trophosphere

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 09:48:41 am »
These guys...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:23:24 am by RGB255_0_0 »
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 10:10:53 am »
They are obviously going for the aggression is the best form of defence approach...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf