Author Topic: DipTrace 3.0 released  (Read 10558 times)

Offline EternautaTopic starter

• Contributor
DipTrace 3.0 released
« on: March 12, 2016, 07:02:58 am »
after a long beta DipTrace 3.0 has been released

From the forum

If compare to 3.0 beta:
1. We have found and fixed many bugs in new features (several days stress-test before this release did not show critical bugs, some things still may be polished though).
2. Read-only files now work as expected.
3. Manufacturer item has been added to BOM.

The price of 3.0 was raised: now Full Edition costs $1195 (+$300), Extended - $695 (+$100) and Standard - $395 (+$50). Upgrade prices for Full and Extended at the moment are the same as upgrade to 2.x, but they will be raised to 25% of new license price at March 31, 2016.

What about the nearest plans:
1. Native 64-bit version of 3.0 (now and before it is only 64-bit installer for compatibility).
2. Adding length match rule, length comparing screen, layer stack-up and meander objects.
3. Adding hotkey to switch units on the fly in any window and number of other small, but frequently-requested features.
4. Adding Eagle XML and Altium import/export (currently both in process).

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: DipTrace 3.0 released
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:18:49 pm »
List of what all has changed since the older Ver 2.4:
- Differential pairs:
      Define differential pair and its rules;
      Automatic or manual defining of paired pads;
      Paired routing and editing of differential pair;
      Single-track differential pair routing and editing;
      Phase tune tool (place custom / regular size meanders);
      Real-time control of phase and length tolerance;
      Differential pair manager;
      Support of differential pairs for external autorouters, recognition of paired traces.
- Custom user-defined keyboard shortcuts for tools and dialogs.
- ODB++ (version 7.0) manufacturing output.
- Gerber X2 manufacturing output.
- DRC rule details (easy editing of routing constraints).
- Tree view of 3D models in All Models list, sorted by categories (folders).
- Overall speed and memory optimization for large designs.
- Optimized UI fonts.
- 8143 new components.
- 5694 new STEP models for 3D.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 03:09:36 pm »
I upgraded to 3.0, works fine on Linux under Wine 1.8 for me (I'm on ubuntu 15.04 still). The individual key bindings work, the options for it are a bit sparse but it works, a few keys are hardbound (like space) and cant be changed. I never did try the beta so I have not tested things out much.

Just glad it still works on linux even if it is under wine!
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 04:32:05 pm »
facepalm |O wouldnt be novarm without a |O hotkeys to MOVE sheets around (because I need hotkeys for that because you move sheets all the time) but no hotkey to change which sheet you are on doh!
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 11:04:18 pm »
Hotkeys are the only thing worth while in 3.0, best I can tell. Doesn't seem worth $100 to upgrade. If they ever fix their crazy library structure/management, their crazy precision problems (esp. switching from mm to inches), and their crazy drawing problems, I'd surely upgrade.  I hope they got the flood of sales they were expecting thanks to differential pairs. Maybe they'll concentrate on all the boring features we've been begging for.  I just downloaded the latest version of KiCAD to see where they stand, and I keep looking for other reasonably priced options.

It really drives me nuts because Diptrace has incredible potential, but it's really hard to take it seriously as a professional tool you bank your business on. I make tiny little boards and the ambiguous library structure/integration keeps biting me in the ass to the point that it seems like I have to double check every pad to make sure I got it right.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 03:25:53 am »
Incidentally, I've been playing with the latest KiCad, and I have to say it's gotten a lot better and has a tremendous amount of potential. It's really not that bad. Editing traces is a little clunky. Works nice with the interactive router, but doesn't respect the grid. Respects the grid in the "default" canvas, but editing isn't very good. Overall, the interface is a little clunky but usable. Still, I feel like it's missing some really basic features.

I'm going to try and design my next board in KiCad though, and we'll see how it goes.

Offline john_p_wi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 05:27:31 pm »
I really feel that the DT team is a group of software guys who are not involved in any of the day to day minutia that a pcb designer goes through.  Why else would they release a package with diff pair routing when at least 90% of the people would only use it 10% of the time?  How about updating things that everyone uses such as the library management, forward part propagation, fixing a clumsy as hell drawing package for pattern creation, inability to easily group align components, let alone mirror parts or schematic section or others.  Sooo many things have been asked for and are never brought out - their own forum is a ghost town, absolutely no buzz about the new 3.0 release,  Yeah, the death rattle is near I'm afraid.

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 06:40:28 pm »
I certainly have not see anything in 3.0 that I feel like I need to have. Most of my work is low-speed digital so the diff routing is not exciting. It is maybe useful for USB, but for those two signals I can wing it.

For pure usability, I still think DipTrace is great, despite its quarks. But if it's not gaining steam, it's losing steam, and it's probably best for me to switch again. I'm not going back to EAGLE, though. What a POS.

Offline technotronix

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 12:44:32 pm »
Great news.

I would like to move from altium to Diptrace.

Thanks.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 07:20:40 pm »
Great news.

I would like to move from altium to Diptrace.

Yep, I've been running both side by side for about 3 years now, but with the latest DipTrace update (ver 3.0.0.2) I now do all my new designs in DipTrace.

Much work has been done on the libraries. To search all libraries concurrently simply open the "Pattern Editor" then:

1/ Select "Pattern"
2/ then click on "Find Pattern"
3/ then select "All Libraries" in the "Search Area" drop down box
4/ then type in the type of footprint you are looking for (ie TO-220) & click on "Find Patterns"

Remember that all the standard libraries in DipTrace are Read Only.

If you wish to modify the pattern (footprint), click on "Save to Library" to save it in your own private library.

DipTrace has certainly matured with the latest release. It is now a very competitive alternative to Altium for all but the most complicated of boards.

Lots of work has been done in the areas of copper fills, auto-place & the auto-router. I now feel the built-in auto-router does a better job than the alternative "Free Routing" that was (allegedly) a spin-off from the Zuken auto router.

Copper pours are simple to implement as are solder mask changes.

We still need more options for the keyboard shortcuts (especially one for "distance measure" & change grid from "imperial to metric") & an easy method to rotate text to angles other than 0, 90, 180 & 270 degrees.

Version 3.0.0.2 has some significant bug repairs over Version 3.0.0.1 so make sure you upgrade.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 01:40:45 am »
I would like to add that the BOM reports in the latest version have been much improved.

If you have 10 components that are all the same, DipTrace will now list all 10 on the same line instead of each component over 10 lines.

Also more work has been done on the auto-routing. Choosing to place earth copper pours (for instance) on the top & bottom layers before auto-routing works very well. Vias are nicely added where required in an intelligent way.

Very impressed overall with this latest update.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf