Author Topic: DipTrace 3.2  (Read 23041 times)

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DipTrace 3.2
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 10:26:41 am »
but the 'have to click each time' is irritating.  Along with 'the file already exists' for every file if I have to re-export because I found an error.

Yes, it would be great if there were some "Global Preference" dialog boxes along the lines of:

1/ Tick for all Gerbers to be auto-generated

and

2/ Tick for auto-overwrite of existing files of the same name

Plus as JPortici the drill file is separate.

Plus

3/ Tick to auto-include drill file

I also have to export p&p data which is also separate. 

Plus

4/ Tick to auto-include Pick and Place file

On the p&p output, the units in the file is based on the units you are viewing the design in .....  I wish this could be set as something like 'always export in mm'.

Plus a global dialogue box

5/ Tick to export P&P file in mm

6/ Tick to export drill file in mm

7/ Tick to auto-generate Zip archive of all exported files

The filenames for the drill (file) needs to be modified if I remember right

Yes, many board shop want the drill file as "drill.txt" instead of "drill.drl" When saving this file you are given the choice to change its name ..... but it would be nice to have a dialog box that simply allows for a fixed extension to be applied as a default.

Especially since this seems like a relatively low-impact thing for novarm to add (when compared to something like push/shove routing and length matching/impedance/etc).

Fully agree.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Online HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 07:01:53 pm »
2/ Tick for auto-overwrite of existing files of the same name

Just an extra button on the overwrite confirmation prompt for "This file already exists. Do you want to replace it?" that is "Yes to All" would go a long way to alleviating the tedious task of clicking 'Yes' for each and every file. Of course, this extra button would only show up if you'd clicked "Export All" in the export window.

And speaking of "Export All", the feature to specify which sets of files and their names could be improved by having a presets facility (much like the DRC) where you can store certain filename configurations under a given name. Useful for if you use multiple PCB houses who have differing file naming conventions.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 08:31:07 pm »
As long as we are talking about adding tick boxes to automate tedious mouse-button-consuming tasks: i want to propose an "export placement file" too.

How i'm doing it now:
-View -> Assemly Layers -> tick on Pattern Dimensions, Markings and Silkscreen.
-Preview
-Adjust preview scale
-Select only Board Dimension and Assembly Layers
-Print
-Untick bunch of shit

I'm lucky i almost always not print component markings onto the silkscreen so i can set them to be in "middle" position

Another feature i'd like to be automated: Sheet Text. Unless there are $Variables i don't know about. I admit i never read that part of the documentation...

Online HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 09:58:33 pm »
5. Always open/soldered option in custom mask/paste settings for pads and vias.

I've just noticed an omission related to this new feature. The 3D Preview doesn't appear to take into consideration the new mask settings.

If I take a via and set both its Top and Bottom solder mask state to 'Open', then view the 3D Preview - ensuring 'Open Vias' setting is not turned on, of course - the via is still covered with mask on both sides.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 12:04:13 am »
Something i would like to see in DipTrace with regard to libraries, is some support for library distribution and updates, preferably version controlled.

Component, pattern, and 3d models.

The use cases should be fairly obvious,

* novarm wants to have good distribution and version controlled updating of it's standard libraries
   * business wants to have it's own libraries, which is updated consistently and in a version-controlled manner in it's developer's systems
   * third party library creator wants to have good version control of their libraries, preferably without having to do ASCII export, massage to neutralise paths, replace into version control...
   * component seller/manufacturer wants to have good distribution of their libraries for parts they stock

While we are at it, some better (or rather, any) documentation for the ASCII library formats.  Having an editable format is good but having to do guess work to figure it out isn't as I documented here.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 11:14:23 am »
Hopefully the Diptrace developers taking notes, because I see some really good points pass by.

My main bit of critique is that still some shortcuts are missing, the GUI can't be changed by the user, but most of all, my right mouse button is almost totally useless.
Why can't I have a custom menu with shortcuts with my right mouse button?  Drives me insane to always have to go to the top menu bar or to the left bar :scared:
Especially because they have the shortcut keys anyway.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 12:49:39 am »
Hopefully the Diptrace developers taking notes, because I see some really good points pass by.

To ensure your requests are looked at by the developers, register & log your requests on the Diptrace Forum which is the official support channel:

https://www.diptrace.com/forum/

my right mouse button is almost totally useless.

This is true if your mouse courser is in free space, however different options come up if you are hovering over a track or pad or copper plane edge etc etc ........ so it works pretty well really.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf