Author Topic: Diptrace and jumper wires  (Read 8294 times)

Offline akisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Diptrace and jumper wires
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:25:57 pm »
Anyone knows how to run jumper wires on Diptrace? Please let  me know ;)

Offline MrAureliusR

• Supporter
Re: Diptrace and jumper wires
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 01:08:01 am »
You need to be more specific - what do you mean by jumper wires? Do you mean PCB traces? DIPtrace have an excellent 'getting started' document on their website, along with (I think) some videos.

If you need more help, don't be afraid to ask. Also, searching through this forum is a good way to learn more.
--------------------------------------
Canadian hacker

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 01:14:44 am »
Pretty sure he means jumper links on the top of a single-sided board. In that case, in any PCB software, I've always just routed the board as a "double-sided" board with jumpers in the top layer.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:15:44 am »
This has been resolved in the Diptrace forums. It is very hard to see and use but it is there.

To place a jumper wire, on any PCB, regardless of layers:

You have to run a normal trace from A to B. A trace is composed of segments.
Right click on trace and choose segment layer and there is an option to convert the segment of the trace into a jumper wire at top or bottom
it only does the segment so you will have to keep doing it to cover the whole trace
then you have to remove any vias it has auto-inserted
and finally when you run the auto-router after that it uses the jumper wire as if it is a trace and connects other traces to it, this is a definite bug

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:17:33 am »
Right click on trace and choose segment layer and there is an option to convert the segment of the trace into a jumper wire at top or bottom
it only does the segment so you will have to keep doing it to cover the whole trace
then you have to remove any vias it has auto-inserted
this is a definite bug

Once I realised 15 years ago that purchasing standard double sided board was cheaper than purchasing single sided board (which is often standard doubled sided board with one layer completely etched away) I have NEVER wanted to design a single layer board ever again.

Add the fact that plate through holes substantially increase the reliability of your product, I see no reason to go back to the dark ages.

I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 12:52:24 pm »
These are two sided PCBs but sometimes benefit with some wire links (long and twisted from one side of the board to the other sometimes). Since there is no inner layer to run power lines etc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf