Author Topic: DIPtrace problems  (Read 9025 times)

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
DIPtrace problems
« on: June 17, 2018, 10:06:36 am »
Hello,
I am just trying Diptrace for the first time and am noticing how poor it is in comparison to Eagle.
I am trying to manually draw a 1206 resistor land pattern as an example.
When I try to draw a silkscreen line between the pads, it doesn’t appear to allow me to pre-select the silkscreen line thickness.  So Every silkscreen line that I draw has to be  left clicked, then right clicked, then I have to change the thickness of the line there. Also, I cannot see a solder  resist mask. Presumably I can add that in in the Layout program? Also, for any component, a “courtyard” must be drawn around it for collision avoidance reasons…but Diptrace does not offer any layer on which this “courtyard” can be drawn. In eagle, you simply draw the “courtyard” on eg the “tdocu” layer.
How can I do this in Diptrace?

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
Re: DIPtrace problems
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:56:40 pm »
Default line width: window in the upper right corner, while drawing a line or shape. Change "Line Width"

Solder Resist Mask: is the Top/Bottom Mask Layer what you need? elements drawn in these layers will result in those portions of soldermask removed

Courtyard... do you mean View->Assembly Layers->Pattern Borders? (in PCB Layout only, it's auto generated)

The following users thanked this post: ocset

Offline JoseR

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 04:47:04 pm »
Hello,

I've been testing the trial version of Diptrace and I wasn't able to find the "coutyard" option. So thank you.

But how the collision is detected with a "Run DRC"?

For what I see, it detects a collision between pad and silkscreen, but not between pattern borders of two different components.

Thank you!.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 07:44:09 am »
You are right, apparently you can't check silk over silk...

to be honest, i never even tought about it as an option :)

Offline JoseR

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 11:20:47 am »
The only PCB program I've used until the moment is the old Orcad Layout, and it's called "Place outline" there.

If you make a mistake in the placement and there's a collision between two components, the DRC detected the collision between two "Place outline".

It's weird that this option doesn't exist in Diptrace...

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 03:58:49 pm »
apparently you can't check silk over silk...

Normally the outer silk would be the extremities of the component & so you would not overlap the two components extents as the components would no longer fit on the board.

If the extents are incorrect then the library component itself should be corrected.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 04:12:42 pm »
It's weird that this option doesn't exist in Diptrace...

If you overlap two components in DipTrace, the DRC will pick up any tracks or pads that fail to meet the minimum clearances as set out in your DRC master table.

So, it is only two overlapping silk lines that the DRC does not pick up .......... and if your library component has the silk extremities drawn correctly, the auto place function will not overlap the two components.

If you are placing the components manually, then you will be able to clearly see if you have overlapped two components.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf