Author Topic: Does anyone use it?  (Read 26929 times)

Offline buffalo960Topic starter

• Contributor
Does anyone use it?
« on: July 14, 2011, 06:03:07 pm »
Does anyone besides me and house91320 use diptrace here?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline slburris

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Does anyone use it?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 06:27:06 pm »
I do, and I like it well enough that I've paid for the standard edition :-)

Scott

Offline 500in1

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:53:59 am »
I also use it. I have purchased the non-profit version (just a hobbyist and student at this time).

After trying Eagle, and DesignSpark, I felt that Diptrace was the most intuitive for me.

Offline A-sic Enginerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:19:18 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3468.msg46492#msg46492
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3914
count me in, but a total noob.

Ditto.
Totally new to board design. Did a little digging around, including on here, and decided it was the tool to go after first. Using just the free version for now. An upcoming project may have me spending the few bucks to get into the standard version.

Currently have the bulk of my little function generator project schematic done on it. Had to create a couple of components that weren't already in the libs. Was pretty straight forward. Once I finish the power supply part of the design I'll be going to the board layout side of it.
The more you learn, the more you realize just how little you really know.

- college buddy and long time friend KernerD (aka: Dr. Pinhead)

Offline Medo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 04:12:38 pm »
Using it and loving it...
After years of Eagle it is huge refreshment.

Offline Kremmen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 07:24:14 pm »
Oh lots, just subscribe to the Diptrace mailing list / forum to see.
I'm using the non-profit version and like it. That said the component/pattern library system would benefit from some re-thinking but still the tool lets you do everything you really need. And in the latest version they introduced 3D modeling. Once that is further developed to make it really pro level then what more could a person want :)
Nothing sings like a kilovolt.
Dr W. Bishop

Offline sdscotto

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 09:52:10 pm »
I'm also a DipTrace user.

I find it very intuitive to use and the few times I've needed support I've gotten a clear, intelligent, and accurate answers.

I'll admit up front that I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.  After weeks of trying to use Eagle, I just couldn't get used to their interface.   It took me days reading the help system, following tutorials, downloading and running scripts, etc., and I still didn't feel comfortable with the software.

I did complete a project with Eagle, and maybe if I stuck with it for a few more weeks I could have become proficient.  But, their unintuitive interface, and their strange pricing levels (160x100mm board = $750, next step is $1500?) and unwillingness to negotiate and intermediate step sent me looking for something else.

When DipTrace was mentioned on the AmpHour comments I gave it a try and completed the same project that took weeks in a single evening, even with creating numerous library parts from scratch.   I was sold.

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 09:11:03 am »
I am using it too, i find it a great program. It is very simple to use, and it's very simple to creat the part you need.

Offline wosser

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 07:24:12 pm »
I was one of those recommending DipTrace on the AmpHour forum.  I love it actually, I have the full version now!

It's got one or two rough edges but to be honest, the work flow is so smooth and fluid that I find myself just playing with it when I'm not actually designing circuits.

On more than one occasion I've used it as a handy tool for creating cool graphics.  I used it to create a nice logo for my blog page (wardyprojects.blogspot.com) for example.

I do have a few criticisms of DipTrace though, mainly to do with the schematic capture really.  But these are related to some parts of the design process being a bit laborious (wiring up large buses for instance).  But I do like the pattern and component editors, they are fairly intuitive (for the most part) and the workflow is fast and effective.

I'm still starting out with PCB design (I'm hoping to make a career of it at some point!) and just playing around with this software has taught me a lot already.  I plan to take some kind of formal training in PCB layout in the next couple of years.

Yeah so I'd definitely recommend Diptrace to beginners and intermediate users.  It's not a high-end tool by any means though, although it can be used to create everything you need to physically have PCBs manufactured to high standards, so it's good enough for all hobbyists I reckon.

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 06:06:25 pm »
Just bought the standard version, most intuitive and cheapest program that I've seen so far. At 125 bucks with 4 layers and 1000 pins, it's good enough for a lot of projects. Anyone know how to get the 3d models down to just above the plane of the PCB. For example, when I do a 3d preview of my board, my LEDs stick up with their leads showing completely, not flush with the board like how they would look when soldered.

Offline 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:08:49 am »
Just bought the standard version, most intuitive and cheapest program that I've seen so far. At 125 bucks with 4 layers and 1000 pins, it's good enough for a lot of projects. Anyone know how to get the 3d models down to just above the plane of the PCB. For example, when I do a 3d preview of my board, my LEDs stick up with their leads showing completely, not flush with the board like how they would look when soldered.

If +Z axis is pointing upwards of your board, add negative offset Z-axis to the model. Tweak the value until you are happy with it.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 11:57:16 am »
Just bought the standard version, most intuitive and cheapest program that I've seen so far. At 125 bucks with 4 layers and 1000 pins, it's good enough for a lot of projects.

I see $345 for 4 layers 1000 pins:
http://www.diptrace.com/order.php

Dave.

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 12:04:06 pm »
Just bought the standard version, most intuitive and cheapest program that I've seen so far. At 125 bucks with 4 layers and 1000 pins, it's good enough for a lot of projects.

I see $345 for 4 layers 1000 pins:
http://www.diptrace.com/order.php

Dave.

I'm a student so I opted for the educational version. Sorry for not mentioning that :P.

https://www.plimus.com/jsp/buynow.jsp?contractId=1659088&referrer=Parallaxinc

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 09:28:03 am »
I use it too. I switched from eagle, tried some altium but stopped at diptrace. i find it really easy to use, easy to create parts and libraries. The PCB design is great. You could start with the pcb design and afterwards create the schematics. The only problem would be that you need to know the parts package.

DipTrace has my thumbs up. For any questions i am glad to help.

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 09:58:29 am »
I use it too. I switched from eagle, tried some altium but stopped at diptrace. i find it really easy to use, easy to create parts and libraries. The PCB design is great. You could start with the pcb design and afterwards create the schematics. The only problem would be that you need to know the parts package.

DipTrace has my thumbs up. For any questions i am glad to help.

My good friend is an amazing 3d modeler. I was wondering if he was to teach me how to create very detailed low poly 3d models of IC's and passive components if there would be any way of replacing the ones Diptrace uses currently?

Offline Flavour Flave

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • Never knowingly unoffensive.
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 12:01:02 pm »
Welll I'm just downloading the freeware version just now  ;D(its got a 300 pin limit and non-profit use)

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 06:30:52 pm »
My good friend is an amazing 3d modeler. I was wondering if he was to teach me how to create very detailed low poly 3d models of IC's and passive components if there would be any way of replacing the ones Diptrace uses currently?

I recommend you Solidworks for an easy to use software, also for component creation you could use Sketchup. You need the datasheet of the component and save/export the components to .wrl file format (it's an opensource format as far as i know). Modeling the parts is quite easy.

LE: I added a file of a 0805 smd cap:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:09:14 pm by shebu18 »

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 10:12:05 pm »

I recommend you Solidworks for an easy to use software, also for component creation you could use Sketchup. You need the datasheet of the component and save/export the components to .wrl file format (it's an opensource format as far as i know). Modeling the parts is quite easy.

LE: I added a file of a 0805 smd cap:

Thank you very much. I was wondering how I would replace the 3d models of the components in DipTrace when I'm done?

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 05:03:25 am »
In the diptrace folder you have a folder with models (after u installed the models package). Here you could create a new folder, put your models in it and when you click the 3d button in the pcb software you can select the source of the cad file. Here you just change the source to the file created by you, or add a source to a part created by you.

Offline reagle

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 12:54:43 am »
Just downloaded the free version and started playing with it.  I am liking it quite a bit so far. I'd say it feels like taking ExpressPCB's program and adding just enough features to be able to do normal board design, without overwhelming one with options.  After spending maybe ten minutes in it, I am eager to play with it more and don't seem to need to go look for tutorials/videos like I had to do when learning Altium

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 06:06:16 am »
I still recommend you the tutorial. It shows you some nice features that you probably would find after spending some time in the program.

Offline reagle

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 02:39:08 am »
Oh, I totally agree. The difference is that it's optional enough that you can figure out most things by mousing around for a bit. With some more expensive tools, that does not help ;)
I still recommend you the tutorial. It shows you some nice features that you probably would find after spending some time in the program.

Offline JTR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 02:29:11 am »
I've only started with it and only after reading about it on the EEVBLOG forums. I have to say the poor user interface of eagle and the number of hassles and hoops you have to jump through to rework a board lead me to try something else. So far I have to say that DIPTRACE is the PCB package I have been looking for and I hope that the PCB manufacturers support it with DRC files etc like they do with eagle. 

Still want to use the space bar to rotate like I did with autotrax though. Some habits die hard.

Offline The_Penguin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 05:06:42 am »

I just downloaded the free version today. Will try it for a small 555-based project I have in mind.
I haven't used PCB software since the mid 90's  then I used a DOS based one, EZsomething.

Just played with it a bit tonight, looks pretty good so far.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf