Author Topic: Inserting arbitrary 3d objects  (Read 7209 times)

Offline rollatorwieltjeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
Inserting arbitrary 3d objects
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:56:39 am »
Is it actually possible to actually show any 3d objects in the viewer without hacks? I can't seem to find the option.
Currently I use a workaround (insert mounting hole, assign & align 3D model to hole, align hole to actual board hole) to show my project box in the 3D viewer, but it's not very easy to align it properly.

This would be useful to check if your project actually fits inside your project box.

Offline Galaxyrise

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Inserting arbitrary 3d objects
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:28:19 am »
You could extend that idea by defining a part in the schematic which was the enclosure and had as its pattern the board outline cutouts.  I've done a grand total of one pcb in diptrace, and I also didn't find any way to place a 3d model that didn't involve a component in the schematic.
I am but an egg

Offline Anks

• Frequent Contributor
    • www.krisanks.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 02:22:53 pm »
Is that enclosure a off the self one or custom?

I've had the same issue as you and gone to exporting the 3D model and using sketchup.

Offline rollatorwieltjeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 06:49:28 am »

I've had the same issue as you and gone to exporting the 3D model and using sketchup.
Off the shelf Hammond 1553b, they provide 3d models (step/igs and dwg) on their website.

Offline Anks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 05:31:35 pm »

Off the shelf Hammond 1553b, they provide 3d models (step/igs and dwg) on their website.

Wish Id of known that before the weekend. I made models by measuring a 1590BB case trying to get the screw holes was a pain.

Offline Anks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 05:56:44 pm »
That being said I cant seem to load the models even using deep exploration that pretty much works with everything Ive thrown at it

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 10:01:43 am »
I usually export the board and suck it into a real CAD program.  I happen to use Rhino.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 04:50:27 pm »
in the end you need to use and actual 3D CAD program, I use solid edge at work. I don't know if there are any decent freeware programs. the main problem i have with diptrace is it can't handle models done with surfaces which is often how many models supplied by component manufacturers are done particularly connectors. In this case in particular I will be adding the models of things like large connectors afterwards in 3-D CAD as trying to put them into trace just causes the 3-D side of it to crash and produce erroneous models. I hope dip trace work to resolve this as it is a royal pain in the arsehole. If you want proper 3-D CAD integrated into PCB layout I believe you need to look at Altium.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 05:04:12 pm »
the main problem i have with diptrace is it can't handle models done with surfaces which is often how many models supplied by component manufacturers are done particularly connectors.

I hope dip trace work to resolve this as it is a royal pain in the arsehole.

Have you listed it as either a bug or a wanted feature in the DipTrace Forums?

Alex will then take it on board.

You will need to be quick as the next release of DipTrace is due out in about 12 weeks time.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 05:22:31 pm »
It has been mentioned on the forum. And it may have been Alex who replied saying that the 3-D environments was a brand-new thing and therefore was still being worked on. Surfaces cause enough problems in proper 3-D CAD programs particularly when they are pulled out of interchange formats like step as by the time the original file has been stepped and then another program has decoded it you often find holes become spheres and other very random interpretations of a surface partly due to the fact that they have no thickness and I suppose they can be interpreted either way where as a solid body is probably easier to read and understand for the conversion software.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf