Author Topic: New Version of DipTrace out with new Library system: Version 2.4  (Read 10181 times)

Offline PedroDaGr8Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
This was discussed in the beta thread but I thought I would break it out here for more visability.

what have they changed? First and foremost they updated the previously horrible library management system. As much as I loved DipTrace, I HATED the LMS; I hated it with a passion. It has been no secret that it was one of the biggest letdowns in DipTrace. You could work with it (mostly) but it wasn't pleasant or intuitive. Novarm has long admitted the system was broken and they weren't happy with it. More recently, they mentioned that a complete rewrite was in the works and it now appears to have gone live. The library management system has finally been completely revised. Libraries are now broken into groups, separating the user libraries from the standard included ones. This appears to allow them to automatically add all libraries created on the computer. You can still add/remove libraries manually via Library Setup if you so desire.

I seem to remember this at least partly occurring in 2.3.x versions, but the standard libraries themselves have been revised. There are now libraries of common parts such as headers, connectors, caps, etc. Instead of the older system which only had everything broken down by vendor name.

While selecting components in the schematic phase is MUCH easier now. Showing both the schematic symbol and the pattern in large easy to see form:

Search of the libraries has been made much more prevalent and logical. Gone are the unintuitive concepts of active library, non-active library, etc. It is now called Filter and its kinda like the old search on steroids. It's easily available from the library menu on the side.You can search a single library, a group, all libraries. You can also search using one or MORE criteria by hitting the + button.

Quite honestly, these changes to the LMS have made working in DipTrace even more fluid. Making the system feel much more unified and intuitive overall. The LMS doesn't feel nearly as cumbersome and awkward.

Another area that saw some changes is 3D modeling. 3D modeling now supports the much more common STEPS/IGS files for 3D models. This makes finding 3D models for your boards MUCH easier. Additionally, the most recent 3D model file has a bunch of new models added (on top of any that you import yourself)

The Arduino Nano in this board is an IGS file I found online. The 3D model actually saved me from a huge blunder. On an initial design of this board, I actually had the nano rotated 90 degrees which meant that the USB port was rendered inaccessible by the pi-filter capacitors.

Being as this is a 2.3 to 2.4 update (and not to 3.0) most of the other stuff is behind the scenes and bug fixes. Such as switching to a new version of Delphi which supposedly will allow a native OSX version in the future(no more WINE). My guess is when that happens we will see version 3.0. They also added full unicode support.

A changelog is available here.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline mc

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Version of DipTrace out with new Library system: Version 2.4
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 10:31:59 pm »
Excellent post!

I have been wondering what all the talk was about this new version, but as I've not needed to design any boards lately I've not bothered downloading the update, so it's good to see what is new.
Thanks.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 11:29:01 pm »
First and foremost they updated the previously horrible library management system.
Yes, I fully agree. A huge improvement that should have been done years ago.

I have also noticed some significant improvements relating to the screen drivers.

I've just completed a board with 65 components on it & enjoyed the updated changes very much.

I also own Altium Designer but chose to use Diptrace this time around. DipTrace does not offer all the bells & whistles that Altium does, however unless your board is particularly complicated, DipTrace will do the job quite adequately.

Now that Altium has risen another $2K in price, DipTrace definitely offers the best bang for your buck.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 03:08:42 am »
By the way, some interesting news out of the Novarm camp.

Our plans for further development have been changed a bit:
Improving (speeding up) filter and support of component categories will be delayed, but we start development of high-speed features (differential pairs, etc.). The goal is to release version with basic high-speed features at autumn. Also ODB++ export is currently in process and first preview version is ready, probably will be available in the next update together with differential pairs.

Frankly, I think this is a wise move. The current capabilities in the library category are actually good now. I might change my mind in the future but I think the search and libraries are solid now. Good that they are focusing on the next largest drawback (high-speed abilities).
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 01:50:56 pm »
Id rather see them fixing something really basic and simple thats of much greater importance/requirement.

configurable key bindings!

-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:10:56 pm »
If I install the new version, will all of my old libraries keep working or do I have to redefine everything?  I'm using this in production so I'll test on my laptop first to work out the bugs, but I'm wondering if I should even bother.

Thanks!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 01:20:52 am »
If I install the new version, will all of my old libraries keep working or do I have to redefine everything?  I'm using this in production so I'll test on my laptop first to work out the bugs, but I'm wondering if I should even bother.

Thanks!

If they are custom libraries they should show up under the group user components.  Honestly the new library system alone is well worth upgrading. Add in the steps/igs  support and other bugfixes,  improvements and is well worth it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 04:35:51 pm »
Id rather see them fixing something really basic and simple thats of much greater importance/requirement.

configurable key bindings!

I have posted this as a feature request on the DipTrace forum here:

http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9986

Chime in if you are actually interested because the more people that support this, the quicker they will add it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf