Author Topic: Post on the upcoming next Beta  (Read 28430 times)

Offline PedroDaGr8Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Post on the upcoming next Beta
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:33:10 pm »
Alex just posted that the next beta is expected in 1-2 months:

New beta version will be released in 1-2 month. It will have major new features: diff pair support, ODB++ export, Gerber X2 support and (if we have time) customizable hot keys. In any case, cutomizable hot keys will be in stable release.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Post on the upcoming next Beta
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:17:29 pm »
I'm looking forward to the customisable hot keys the most so that I can replicate the Altium shortcuts.

We especially need a single shortcut key (note a single key - no pushing ALT or CONTROL or SHIFT keys please Alex) to:

1/ Change grids from imperial to metric (the single shortcut key should "toggle" between the two);

2/ Set up different keys for different track widths so we don't have to right click, then manually enter the width we want;

3/ A single key for "measurements".

Just to name 3 that I think are important.

What other shortcuts would people like to see?
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline Royce

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 01:49:31 am »
I'd like to see a github library integration or some other type of cloud/collaboration library. Diptrace is known for its ease of making libraries, but it would still be nice to have a clean way to share libraries on an on-going basis.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:15:55 pm »
all I want is customisable one-key keybindings. I weep for that. as said above, no alt/ctrl etc. single ascii keys
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:25:15 pm by BloodyCactus »
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:25:11 pm »
all I want is customisable keybindings. I weep for that.

Alex has announced that this will be available in the final release of this next version  :)

He also says that it might not be completed by the time the first Beta is released in 6 to 8 weeks time.

The final release of the next version is expected to be around October 2015.

Offline K6TR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 10:59:44 pm »
Here is the latest post from the DIPTrace News Page dated June 24, 2015

We are testing probably the most anticipated feature – differential pair routing tools, which allow for dealing with high-speed signals on the board.
The new release will also feature an ODB++ and Gerber X2 manufacturing export capabilities, customizable hot keys, as well as expanded 3D and component libraries.

Looks solid. The Differential Pair and the Customizable Hot Keys are the two features that are in heavy demand. The expanded 3D and Component Libraries will also be welcome additions.

The ODB++ Feature is curious. It would appear this move is designed to shave off Market Share from its competitors.

In the long term I would think it better that they support IPC2581 Standard. But better to wait until the dust settles on that one.  :popcorn:

Once the Differential Pair feature is debugged it would make sense that their next priority would be to expand the capability of the native Autorouter.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:35:04 pm by K6TR »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 04:49:57 am »
Here is the latest post from the DIPTrace News Page dated June 24, 2015

We are testing probably the most anticipated feature – differential pair routing tools, which allow for dealing with high-speed signals on the board.
The new release will also feature an ODB++ and Gerber X2 manufacturing export capabilities, customizable hot keys, as well as expanded 3D and component libraries.

Looks solid. The Differential Pair and the Customizable Hot Keys are the two features that are in heavy demand. The expanded 3D and Component Libraries will also be welcome additions.

The ODB++ Feature is curious. It would appear this move is designed to shave off Market Share from its competitors.

In the long term I would think it better that they support IPC2581 Standard. But better to wait until the dust settles on that one.  :popcorn:

Once the Differential Pair feature is debugged it would make sense that their next priority would be to expand the capability of the native Autorouter.

I think the integrated routing functions are next on their list as well, so things like push-shove and the like.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline K6TR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:11 pm »
all I want is customisable keybindings. I weep for that.

Alex has announced that this will be available in the final release of this next version  :)

He also says that it might not be completed by the time the first Beta is released in 6 to 8 weeks time.

The final release of the next version is expected to be around October 2015.

I noticed the planned Version Number of the release is 2.9. Seeing as the current released version is 2.4 does that mean there will be 5 releases in the coming months or will all the upgrades be bundled into one release ? Any word yet on how this will go down ?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:35:07 pm by K6TR »

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 11:34:29 pm »
my guess is, if the beta is 2.9 the final will be a 3.0 and mark a new revision, and if it is a major version upgrade I wonder if we will need to do a paid upgrade for major version release...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 11:38:23 pm »
my guess is, if the beta is 2.9 the final will be a 3.0 and mark a new revision, and if it is a major version upgrade I wonder if we will need to do a paid upgrade for major version release...

betas and releases keep the same verison number. With some of the reports of some of the major changes in the pipeline 3.0 will be a big upgrade and yes it requires paying for the upgrade but it is at a reduced cost. Going from 1.x to 2.x was 25% of full price (not off, of)

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 01:06:44 am »
thanks for the info, thats nice to know.

Offline K6TR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 02:02:04 am »

betas and releases keep the same verison number. With some of the reports of some of the major changes in the pipeline 3.0 will be a big upgrade and yes it requires paying for the upgrade but it is at a reduced cost. Going from 1.x to 2.x was 25% of full price (not off, of)

Don't they usually charge the difference between the New Version and the Old Version ?

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 11:36:30 am »
I'm happy to pay for upgrades, but there's no way I'm paying just for differential pairs. I'll bet that the vast majority of their customers don't give a hoot about that.  Look at their forums. We keep asking for basic interface fixes and enhancements. It hard to find anyone excited about differential pairs.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 04:01:09 pm »
yep, the only thing I want is marked as the least important (customisable keys). I dont care about diff pairs, odb++, gerber x2 etc. if I needed differential pair support I'd be on a different higher tier product

Offline K6TR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »
Alex posted on the Dip Trace Forum this morning (27 July) that the Beta Version is in test and they anticipate release in 2 weeks.

Offline K6TR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 08:38:49 pm »
yep, the only thing I want is marked as the least important (customisable keys). I dont care about diff pairs, odb++, gerber x2 etc. if I needed differential pair support I'd be on a different higher tier product

Maybe you don't care about Gerber X2, ODB++ or Diff. Pairs but those are features that are in demand by Commercial Houses that do work on High Speed Circuits and send their work out to large scale PCB Manufacturers. Cactus let me appraise you on a sales reality. Features sell things, Customer Support does not. Customizable Hot Keys will come in the next release or two. I would hope that Dip Trace would devote some effort to expanding the Default Component and Pattern Libraries with each release. They will find that large Production Houses are more likely to adopt their Software if the Component Symbols and Patterns are standardized. Even if it means having to break them up into separate libraries.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 09:51:46 pm »

Don't they usually charge the difference between the New Version and the Old Version ?

That is within different levels (ie Lite, Standard, Full, etc.). This is between version numbers which is 25% of the cost (so a 75% discount).

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:08 am »
Maybe you don't care about Gerber X2, ODB++ or Diff. Pairs but those are features that are in demand by Commercial Houses that do work on High Speed Circuits and send their work out to large scale PCB Manufacturers.

people that want this stuff, need it yesterday, not tomorrow. if your work requires differential pairs, your already using altium, orcad, zuken. people who need it are not messing around waiting for diptrace who might get around to getting it right one day.

Its great to have more options (especially in hobbyist level pricing!) but if were talking 'Commercial Houses' not hobbyists. If where I worked needed differential pair work for our next control system for the new EPR nuclear reactor + power station going in in China, were not waiting for DipTrace to get it right in a release or two.

Features sell things, Customer Support does not.

diptrace adding odb++, x2, diffpair does not make it prettier to where I work. things that are pretty to where I work are 24x7 support, getting support on site on a sunday if needed, proper server license support like flexnet/flexlm, etc 

Customer support sells HEAPS. IBM will drop ship a tech to replace a HD when the big iron phones home. if something goes down in our bigass simulation cluster, HP shows up on a Sunday. If our engineers have an issue with Catia or Solidworks? bam, instant support 24x7.  you go into all hands crisis mode on a sunday at 3am and you want dedicated support.

customer support is like the highest thing on the list

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 08:42:38 am »
It's a new trend that programmers adding features instead of fixing what they messed up before. I am wondering how many people will ever use differential pair routing together with diptrace. Their forum is full of bug requests for quite obvious stuff. Some of them repeat for years. It is a shame, it could be a really nice piece of SW.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:19:27 pm by Warhawk »

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 02:13:00 pm »
It's a new trend that programmers adding features instead of fixing what they messed up before.

I do think that is a general rule of developers without strong management.

Fixing bugs is boring. Dreaming up new stuff is sexy. Ergo - bugs do not get corrected in any product unless it either annoys the developer OR a manager kicks them in the b*lls or what ever part will hurt.

In my old company we did a "once a year" 2-3 months 100% focus on fixing all non-sexy stuff to combat that exact issue type. Solid bonus round for all if all issues got fixed. And all the MOST boring one's got highest priority. Developers had a lot of normal "free range" but during that time - no other focus was allowed.

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 08:48:55 pm »
It's a new trend that programmers adding features instead of fixing what they messed up before.
In my old company we did a "once a year" 2-3 months 100% focus on fixing all non-sexy stuff to combat that exact issue type. Solid bonus round for all if all issues got fixed. And all the MOST boring one's got highest priority. Developers had a lot of normal "free range" but during that time - no other focus was allowed.

I love it !  :-+

Offline K6TR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 08:40:07 pm »
Stanislav Ruev posted in the Dip Trace Forum News and Events Thread that DIP Trace 2.9 was released this morning (12-Aug). The features are pretty much what we have been told over the last month.

The Differential Pairs Feature is not completely implemented. Here is a quote from the announcement
But you can not do some things like phase tuning or free net routing yet - we plan to complete this feature together with adding "meanders" and "trace length match" till release of 3.0.

No additional information on the time frame for release of 3.0 was given. Previous communications have hinted the time frame is on the order of several months

A Freeware Version and a 90 Day Trial Version can be obtained on the Dip Trace Download Page.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 07:31:42 pm »
I have not run any of the beta's but I noticed in some updates they listed;

2. Configurable hotkeys (see Tools / Hotkey Settings). Now all hotkeys can be changed and you can assign hotkey to almost any tool of the program. If you can not assign hotkey to any tool/command you need, please let us know

whooo! anyone tried it? does it let you have hotkey like 'n' for net, or is everything CTRL something or ALT something? does it let you just have single key hotkeys?

Offline slowertech

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »
BloodyCactus,

Yes it lets you assign single keys.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2015, 11:31:52 pm »
Now that DipTrace Beta 2.9 has been out for 6 weeks, what are other users opinions on this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf