Author Topic: Where the hell did it go ?  (Read 9517 times)

Offline K6TRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Where the hell did it go ?
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:56:28 am »
I'm trying to create a new component in Dip Trace 2.4. It's for a Zener Diode in a DO-29 Case. This is the first time I have done this from scratch. I create the new pattern file. Save it to a Library I call 'Extra Patterns'. I then go the Schematic Capture program and call up the component in question. Select the 'Properties' button go to the drop down for 'Attach Pattern'. Up pops the next menu. I go to the Upper Right corner for 'Pattern Libraries' click the drop down and select "Extra Patterns", which is there, and  nothing shows up in the box below.  |O

So where is my file ?

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Where the hell did it go ?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 10:54:45 am »
So where is my file ?

It sounds like you have not installed your library called "Extra Patterns".

In schematic layout, click on "Library" from the top ribbon bar, then "Library Setup".

Navigate to the folder where you saved your new library, select your new library then click "Add".

You should now be able to see your new pattern when working within Schematic.

You need to complete the same procedure when working within PCB Layout.

BE AWARE: Do not save your personal libraries within a sub-directory of DipTrace. If you do, when you update to a newer version (using the defaults offered) ................. it will be overwritten & it will be lost for all time :(
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:03:01 pm »
Thanks for the info and the Tip.

Indeed I had not added the new library. After performing the addition everything shows up fine. I will keep this in mind when working in the PCB Layout.

BTW a couple of notes that might be of interest. This all started when I decided to use a symbol without an attached pattern instead of a formal component for a Zener Diode. As I mentioned in the previous post this Diode is in a DO-29 Case which while not common is not rare either. It has a slightly longer body and thicker leads. There wasn't a pattern file listed for it in the stock program files. Although later I would find out that Case 18 is an adequate equivalent. Once I figured out how to use the "Check Measurements" feature that became apparent. Nonetheless it was quite a learning experience. Seeing that the next revision of DipTrace promises substantial enhancements to the stock Component and Pattern Files we will see far fewer instances like these.

Is DipTrace considering linking up with Octopart like Altium did with Circuitmaker ? That would put these types of problems to bed.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:05:45 pm »

Indeed I had not added the new library. After performing the addition everything shows up fine. I will keep this in mind when working in the PCB Layout.

BTW a couple of notes that might be of interest. This all started when I decided to use a symbol without an attached pattern instead of a formal component for a Zener Diode. As I mentioned in the previous post this Diode is in a DO-29 Case which while not common is not rare either. It has a slightly longer body and thicker leads. There wasn't a pattern file listed for it in the stock program files. Although later I would find out that Case 18 is an adequate equivalent. Once I figured out how to use the "Check Measurements" feature that became apparent. Nonetheless it was quite a learning experience. Seeing that the next revision of DipTrace promises substantial enhancements to the stock Component and Pattern Files we will see far fewer instances like these.

Is DipTrace considering linking up with Octopart like Altium did with Circuitmaker ? That would put these types of problems to bed.

DipTrace has by far one of the easiest and best methods for adding custom components. It is not perfect but I often spend very little time lookign for parts if they are not already made. Its just not worth the time, especially since you can bang out most parts in a matter of minutes. They have not mentioned uniting with any suppliers or parts warehouses.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 01:15:26 am »
You're welcome. The reason for managing libraries in this way is that lots of large libraries held in memory slow your computer down heaps.

This all started when I decided to use a symbol without an attached pattern instead of a formal component for a Zener Diode.
Easy done. You use this method if you cannot locate a pattern that is the same as what you require, or you are not sure what pattern you will eventually end up using. You can attach an existing pattern at some later time when you are ready of course :)

As I mentioned in the previous post this Diode is in a DO-29 Case which while not common is not rare either. It has a slightly longer body and thicker leads.
When using either the "Component Editor" (or the "Pattern Editor") you can locate a component (or pattern) that is "similar" to what you want.

You can then choose (from the top ribbon menu) "Component" then "Copy to Another Library". Navigate to your new personal library & copy the component to it.

You can run multiple instances of the "Component Editor" plus "Pattern Editor" plus "Schematic Capture" plus "PCB Layout".

Open your personal library, locate the "similar" pattern, change its name & simply make the "adjustments" to it so that it exactly replicates the pattern you desire.

We are all hanging out for the next version which will include customisable hotkeys. I should then be able to replicate all (most) of the Altium keyboard shortcut keys.

Pressing a single button on the keyboard to initiate "Measure" or "Change Grid to Imperial (& vice versa)" or to change a track width to a predetermined width with a single key will push DipTrace into this century.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 06:31:50 am »
DipTrace has by far one of the easiest and best methods for adding custom components. It is not perfect but I often spend very little time lookign for parts if they are not already made.

Pedro you are doing a "Selling Job" on me.  ;D I don't have much in the way of experience working with PCB Cad Software. A couple of forays with Eagle about 10 years ago for a couple of simple projects but I did not even make an attempt at mastering it. But I have been involved with electronics for close to 45 years. People that come to Diptrace from a professional background of experience with Orcad, PCad, Altium Designer and the like obviously have a much shorter learning curve than myself. Nonetheless the experiences I have are frustrating because I know these problems are of a basic nature and should be resolved quickly without having to resort to formal inquiries. I am appreciative for the time DerekG takes to answer my questions. And his answer cleared up a big issue for me. I have downloaded and printed out both the Training Manual and the Tutorial Guide. I have used both to answer some of my questions. I find the Tutorial Guide more helpful than the Training Manual. But the Tutorial is over 200 Pages long and more important it is written in a fashion that covers every segment of the software in intimate detail in a sequential manner. Which means when I run into a problem I have to sift through a tomb the size of "War and Peace" in order to find an answer to a simple question. If the Tutorial was written in a Layered Format it would go a long ways to making the information more presentable and would save myself a good deal of time

Its just not worth the time, especially since you can bang out most parts in a matter of minutes.

"It's not worth the time" ? I certainly hope the folks at NOVRAM don't share that attitude. That statement fails on 2 counts. Yes the component design tools may very well be easier to use than other PCB CAD Tools on the market but it is not perfect and some of the problems that result can take considerable time to surmount for the uninitiated. But far more important when you give the user the power to design and define components you give the user the power to install unique properties in those components files. Before you know it Board Shops will be able to recognize PCBs created in DIPtrace strictly by the Gerber Files handed to them. That's not a reputation an Applications Developer wants to foster. Along these same lines outside Component and Pattern Libraries produced by independent sources are now showing up on the Internet. Specifically I'm referring the Libraries available from Adafruit and SPARCFUN. In the spirit of open sourcing this may seem like a great idea but it also represents an excellent avenue for injecting viruses into the Application Program. It would seem to me that Component, Pattern, and 3D Files should undergo a major update every 3 years and bad files corrected with each revision. It would also seem apparent that NOVRAM should require all User Created Files be submitted to them for review BEFORE being incorporated into the Software Package.

I am not saying NOVRAM is neglecting its Component Libraries. I understand perfectly well that they are in the formative stages of developing their software package. It is a stage where NOVRAM is compelled to bring as many new features into their software as quickly as possible in order to gain market acceptance. They are doing this with limited resources and a small staff. So it stands to reason that priorities will have to be set and certain parameters will have to sit on the back burner while more pressing needs are met.

It sounds like the crew at NOVRAM has bitten off quite a mouth full with the latest batch of additions. I would imagine the Differential Pairs feature was no small lot of coding that had to be written. No doubt it also involves a fair bit of testing. In the end this update will come a few months later than we have become accustom in the past.

Now that Circuitmaker has been released and we have a good idea what it is about the fact that it requires Cloud Sharing of files makes it little if any threat to existing PCB CAD programs on the market for Hobbyist through to Small Business. I would hope that going forward NOVRAM would reevaluate it goals for Diptrace with an eye towards reducing the new user's learning curve and enhancing security. Obviously upgrading the native Autorouter will loom large as the platform grows. I hope NOVRAM doesn't fall into the trap of dropping everything to pursue that one goal.

They have not mentioned uniting with any suppliers or parts warehouses.

Octopart is neither a component supplier or a warehouse. It is an Electronic Parts Search Engine that allows the user to call up a part number and get a list of the Suppliers that carry the part, the quantities they have in stock, their prices as well as links to spec sheets. Most of the major industrial suppliers participate. Arrow, Avnet, Newark, Mouser, Digikey, Verical, Farnell, Rochester Electronics and Element 14 to name a few. Having this search engine linked directly to the PCB CAD program gives the user the ability to generate a BOM that will include pricing for the product based on current prices that could take hours to do if performed manually. Altium incorporated this into Circuitmaker. Its a nifty feature,  Too bad the user has to make everything public when using CM.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:20:18 pm by K6TR »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 11:48:35 pm »
BE AWARE: Do not save your personal libraries within a sub-directory of DipTrace. If you do, when you update to a newer version (using the defaults offered) ................. it will be overwritten & it will be lost for all time :(

OK Thanks

I have another question.

I'm laying out a potentiometer and need different pad shapes. Specifically I need 1 rectangular and 2 round pads. I click the first one and it comes up round. I highlight the pad go to Pad Properties and select rectangular. So far so good. I call-up and place the second pad. It is Rectangulat also. I go to Pad Properties select oval and both Pads turn to oval. What am I doing wrong or not doing ?

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 09:31:44 am »
I'm laying out a potentiometer and need different pad shapes. Specifically I need 1 rectangular and 2 round pads. I click the first one and it comes up round. I highlight the pad go to Pad Properties and select rectangular. So far so good. I call-up and place the second pad. It is Rectangular also. I go to Pad Properties select oval and both Pads turn to oval. What am I doing wrong or not doing ?

In the "Pattern Editor" the pop up dialog box for each component shows the "default" properties.

To change a pad to have different properties, right click on the pad in question & select "Properties" then select "Type/Dimensions". Now untick "Use Pattern's Pad Properties" (which now de-selects this pad from having the same "defaults" as all the other pads in this component).

Now enter the pad type/dimensions as you require & then click OK.

Save the library before closing to ensure all your changes remain permanent (DipTrace will ask you if you wish to save the changes if you attempt to close the Pattern Editor without first saving the changes).

I'm glad you are enjoying DipTrace. I like it too :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 06:49:56 am »
In the "Pattern Editor" the pop up dialog box for each component shows the "default" properties.

To change a pad to have different properties, right click on the pad in question & select "Properties" then select "Type/Dimensions". Now untick "Use Pattern's Pad Properties" (which now de-selects this pad from having the same "defaults" as all the other pads in this component).

Now enter the pad type/dimensions as you require & then click OK.

Save the library before closing to ensure all your changes remain permanent (DipTrace will ask you if you wish to save the changes if you attempt to close the Pattern Editor without first saving the changes).

I'm glad you are enjoying DipTrace. I like it too :)

Thanks that was straight forward and took less than a minute.

I'm design a board for a High Voltage Shunt Regulator Circuit. The circuit revolves around the venerable LM723 and a Power FET.

I have a few more questions that ought to get interesting. Questions about multi-layer boards and spacing of traces to prevent arc over.

It's getting later here so I will send them tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:38:34 pm »

DipTrace has by far one of the easiest and best methods for adding custom components. It is not perfect but I often spend very little time lookign for parts if they are not already made. Its just not worth the time, especially since you can bang out most parts in a matter of minutes. They have not mentioned uniting with any suppliers or parts warehouses.

I agree with this 100%.  I don't use ANY of their library patterns.  Occasionally, I'll use a component and link it with my own pattern, but often I just end up making my own component too. It's just too easy to do it myself and know it's perfect.

Offline unitedatoms

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 03:09:10 am »

I agree with this 100%.  I don't use ANY of their library patterns.  Occasionally, I'll use a component and link it with my own pattern, but often I just end up making my own component too. It's just too easy to do it myself and know it's perfect.

Yes. Te diptrace component and pattern editors are perfect. If you have a datasheet for a pattern, the main trick is just to keep the grid dimensions to be exact and you are done.
Interested in all design related projects no matter how simple, or complicated, slow going or fast, failures or successes

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf