Author Topic: 2018 Macbook Pro terrible thermal design  (Read 15332 times)

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: 2018 Macbook Pro terrible thermal design
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2018, 01:46:00 pm »
Xerox invented windows ;)
Apple didn't invent the mouse  :)
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2018, 02:01:22 pm »
Apple didn’t invent anything. Ever. They just made it marketable.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2018, 02:15:24 pm »
*runs like the wind with fireproof suit on*

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2018, 02:17:45 pm »
They invented Dylan, and Bob Dylan sued them for that :-DD

And MagSafe, it was a good thing.

FireWire, ThunderBolt, web Touch Events, the <canvas> element, C-Blocks, Bonjour/ZeroConf, ADB (a slow USB), AppleTalk, the first ever cheap network-able laser printer with postscript, hyperCard/hypertalk: web browsers were ~ a carbon copy of that, and the smartphones as we know them now. I'm far from an Apple fanboy, but they've done things.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:01:35 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2018, 02:20:09 pm »

I do like Magsafe, this MBP has it...

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2018, 02:53:09 pm »
the concept of magsafe is good, but i have yet to see a really long lasting implementation.

the chinese have a number of designs to adapt phones&tablets, but most of those are not brilliant either.
you either have data lines and a polarised and poor connection,
or you have this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TOPK-L-Line-1M-Magnetic-Charging-Cable-90-Degree-LED-Cable-for-iPhone-X-8-7/32854367440.html

these are really good quality, but because they have no datalines your not going to get more than 5v from a charger.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2018, 03:26:19 pm »

I do like Magsafe, this MBP has it...

I don't. I've replaced too many left IO boards to like it. Some of which were burned to shreds. Plus it only caters for the scenario where someone falls over the cable. Plus we have a box of burned up supplies at work where the strain relief has gone. They need to fire whoever designed Apple's strain reliefs.

This is my problem with the engineering really.

A couple of years ago I had a Lenovo X201 and a nasty bout of the flu and was slightly delirious and all over the place. I fell on my arse while holding the laptop and proceeded to pull a chair over with a full cup of hot coffee on it. The chair landed in the middle of the keyboard while open and smashed the screen right back. The coffee went straight in it. wiped out the key bed and screen and it was fine despite having taken a beating and a cup of coffee. About a week later I noticed a dicky patch on the bottom right of screen. Bought a new screen and lid assembly from eBay for £19 just because it was irritating. It was perfectly functional.

End of last year I feel asleep with my (2013) MBP on my lap and it neatly slid down my legs because it's a shiny slippery bastard and gently fell about 8 inches onto the carpet. This dinked the corner hard enough to bend the lid slightly and pop the screen entirely. New lid and screen assembly cost me £300.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:28:00 pm by bd139 »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2018, 03:54:07 pm »
They don't innovate as much as people seem to think they do but what they can do is design and market the living daylights out of a product and make it *desireable*.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2018, 04:00:17 pm »
they "think different"  :-DD

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2018, 04:04:09 pm »
Maybe, yes, not very well executed (magsafe). But, back in 2009, a Mac with Snow Leopard was the best PC money could buy.

and make it *desireable*.

*desireable* to be pronounced as Johnathan Ive would.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:55:40 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2018, 04:32:12 pm »
Quote from: wikipedia
IEEE 1394 is an interface standard for a serial bus for high-speed communications and isochronous real-time data transfer. It was developed in the late 1980s and early 1990s by Apple, which called it FireWire.

Thunderbolt is the brand name of a hardware interface standard developed by Intel (in collaboration with Apple) that allows the connection of external peripherals to a computer.

Symbian / current smartphones: any resemblance is pure coincidence  :)

Appletalk: network devices were self-configuring, had names, and had types (classes) not just addresses.

Although systems similar to AARP existed in other systems, Banyan VINES for instance, nothing like NBP has existed until recently

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2018, 05:04:38 pm »
Smartphones, depending on how do you define them, but my definition is a phone that can run third party apps and run apps in background. In this perspective, Symbian S60 is probably earlier than iOS.

Yes, S60 predates iOS. But you might notice a slightly different form factor when you compare your venerable S60 phone with an iPhone or Android device? You know, all screen, no keys? :P

Apple has successfully commercialized many ideas that were first proposed elsewhere. (Which in several instances included a non-trivial effort in "getting it right".) But claiming that they "never invented anything" is a bit ridiculous.

They (Steve Wozniak, actually) also invented a really clever floppy disk controller.  ;) Yes, that's been a while ago...

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2018, 05:33:23 pm »
Well to jump into the flames, LG might take issue with Apple claiming the 'smartphone' because they launched their Prada touchscreen phone almosrt a year before the iPhone was made public...

Woz is a great and innovative engineer (and a really nice bloke if what I've seen of him is halfway true), Jobs was a great design and marketing man, Cook is a corporate figurehead and Apple seem to be playing catchup a *lot* these days.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2018, 08:02:23 pm »
All I know is that I've worked with PCs and Macs for 30+ years, and the Macs are the only computers which don't make me want to hurl them out the window on a daily basis.  Microsoft has yet to figure out how to make all the different bits of their UI work as a consistent, integrated whole.  And hardware?  I'm happy to pay a bit more for something that powers up every time I hit the switch, and doesn't mysteriously fail to recognize peripherals on a whim.  Just my opinion based on decades of experience - flames ignored.

But Woz?  A charming and frighteningly intelligent guy.  I've analyzed some of his hardware and software designs and they're truly elegant in a minimalist, efficient way.  His floppy controller, printer interface, video and memory hardware are object lessons for any wannabe engineer.  Jobs, by contrast, was an arrogant marketeer who didn't really grasp engineering principles at all - he just browbeat the smart people into being innovative out of self-defense.  I've met them both, and I know who I'd rather spend time talking to - about almost anything.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2018, 08:31:22 pm »
All I know is that I've worked with PCs and Macs for 30+ years, and the Macs are the only computers which don't make me want to hurl them out the window on a daily basis.  Microsoft has yet to figure out how to make all the different bits of their UI work as a consistent, integrated whole.  And hardware?  I'm happy to pay a bit more for something that powers up every time I hit the switch, and doesn't mysteriously fail to recognize peripherals on a whim.  Just my opinion based on decades of experience - flames ignored.

But Woz?  A charming and frighteningly intelligent guy.  I've analyzed some of his hardware and software designs and they're truly elegant in a minimalist, efficient way.  His floppy controller, printer interface, video and memory hardware are object lessons for any wannabe engineer.  Jobs, by contrast, was an arrogant marketeer who didn't really grasp engineering principles at all - he just browbeat the smart people into being innovative out of self-defense.  I've met them both, and I know who I'd rather spend time talking to - about almost anything.

Similar, been working with PCs since DOS 3.3, can;t get used to the Mac, never have been able to even back when I was using a Mac SE (kinda wish I'd not thrown the Lisa away though).

I'm rather pleased Woz is as cool a guy as I thought (yeah yeah, I'm a fan)

Offline drMacFaulty

• Imperfect hobbyist! Handle with care :)
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2018, 08:06:16 pm »
Don't know if it contains anything people want to download, but with a bit of URL manipulation you can browse the FTP server that was earlier mentioned by using the Wayback Machine (they do FTP, too). Wayback Machine mostly also has the files (at least, that's my experience).

Do note that the latest usable snapshot is from 2002: https://web.archive.org/web/20021016075612/ftp://ftp.info.apple.com

Offline Zimphire

« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2018, 11:37:46 pm »
Apple had a GUI running before visiting Xerox...

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2018, 07:10:15 am »
Apple had a GUI running before visiting Xerox...

In 1973. ?

The following users thanked this post: senso, GeorgeOfTheJungle, CJay, BrianHG, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf