Author Topic: Amazon Prime  (Read 9689 times)

Offline MrMobodiesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Amazon Prime
« on: November 11, 2018, 08:32:46 am »
When I mention Amazon a lot my customers and friends say to me that they don't like buying things there. They said they keep on being signed up to Amazon Prime and they keep on cancelling it but only after they found they have been charged. So I end up buying their things and they pay me back if it is something I recommend and they want. I get those prompts and so on and I notice them and it isn't a problem for me as I don't tricked into not noticing from the landing page before the check out and payment.

Behold see attachment.

Review your order:
"           ,we are giving you a FREE 30-day trial of Prime. Your benefits will include Free One-Day delivery on millions of items, instant access to thousands of movies and TV shows, over two million songs ad-free and many other benefits. You can cancel anytime. "

I don't want it and no way to cancel it there.

I won't be shopping there if they are going to do that.

Edit:
Yes I can cancel it after the order but the problem is I don't trust it from the things I am hearing about the money being taken and so on.
I don't like that at all trying to force Prime on me. I don't want to mess about cancelling it if I don't want it.

I got them on Ebay a little bit cheaper and they are arriving on Tuesday.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:48:19 am by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: fourtytwo42

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 06:53:57 pm »
That's been annoying me too, they're getting increasingly shady about trying to trick people into signing up for Prime, it has almost got me a few times but I've learned to be extremely careful to read exactly what I'm selecting. Other than that I have nothing against Amazon, I just see no value in Prime. I already get free shipping by just adding stuff to my cart until I'm past the threshold before I pull the trigger. If I'm in a hurry I just buy it locally in a store. The video streaming would be ok except they clutter up the free content with stuff you have to pay extra for and the music streaming is not very compelling because I've already digitized my whole music collection years ago.

I wish there was a way to just stop them from pushing Prime on me, if I wanted it I would have signed up ages ago, I know where to find it if I change my mind. The harder something is pushed the less likely I am to consider it.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 07:08:04 pm »
Yes, every time you place an order. They try and have you sign up for Prime in a deceitful way, in order to get a permanent stream of revenue AND force you to order from them. Obviously once you're paying for Prime, you're a lot more likely to want to take full advantage of it by ordering only from Amazon. And for those signed up and never ordering, well... they still get your yearly fee. :rant:

As for me, the only point I see ordering from Amazon is to avoid having to sign up for many different online stores, which sucks (having to create an account, choosing a password, having to give your payment info to a lot of different sites...) The second point is logistics, which they are very good at. But that's pretty much it, and they know it. Their products are not particularly good on average and they sell a lot of crap. Fortunately, there are the clients comments, but those are not always reliable either.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 07:28:49 pm »
I thought I would try something regarding their "free one day delivery with prime" to confirm if they really mean a free one day delivery with Prime in the review order.
See attachment.

If I select "One day delivery" the delivery costs £13.99 but it is suppose to be free.
Doesn't make any sense.

Is it automatic regardless of delivery option I select or is it a lie?
Or is it that they are selling me prime and one day deliveries AFTER checkout?

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 10:34:04 pm »
Sounds like the old magazine scam where they would send you magazines and then a bill if you didn't cancel.  That was deemed illegal and I don't see this as being any different.  If you didn't expressly order it you don't have to cancel it and you can't be charged for it.  This has class action written all over it.

Edit.  Just saw the OP wasn't in the states so they might get away with that in different places.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 10:52:22 pm »
I've never been caught out by accidentally signing up to Prime, but I do check things carefully. There are lots of default buttons that push you towards it, but it can be avoided if you're on the ball.

I did try the free month recently. Very disappointing. Most things I wanted weren't available with Prime. Some that were and said "free next day delivery" suddenly became 3-4 days after purchase.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 02:16:15 am »
I'm one of the only people I know who doesn't have it, everyone seems to love it and I just can't understand why. I simply don't get why "free" fast shipping is such a draw and all the comparisons I see showing what a great deal it is are comparing against paying for fast shipping on every order. I don't need fast shipping, if it saves me 5 bucks to wait a week vs getting something the next day I'll almost always choose to wait a week. It's not like I'm just gonna sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to arrive, I place an order then move on to other projects. If I need something today I'll go buy it locally.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 05:24:50 am »
I thought I would try something regarding their "free one day delivery with prime" to confirm if they really mean a free one day delivery with Prime in the review order.
See attachment.

If I select "One day delivery" the delivery costs £13.99 but it is suppose to be free.
Doesn't make any sense.

It's free for "millions of items". In other words, not all items are eligible for free one-day delivery, only selected products.

On another note, it's this kind of crap that forces me to use false names, dates of births etc... on shopping websites. All an online stores needs is a valid form of payment and a delivery address (which isn't my physical address either) in my opinion.

The following users thanked this post: TomS_

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 05:28:38 am »
See attachment.

Doesn't make any sense.

That's not a Prime item and Amazon aren't delivering it. So it makes perfect sense.

.. also, you haven't even signed up for the Prime trial. They're giving you the opportunity to.

Jeez, the difficulties some people have with this internet thing.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, TomS_, MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 06:15:22 am »
See attachment.

Doesn't make any sense.

That's not a Prime item and Amazon aren't delivering it. So it makes perfect sense.

.. also, you haven't even signed up for the Prime trial. They're giving you the opportunity to.

Okay that makes sense the item is not Prime and not illegible for free one day shipping.
As you can see on my first post I selected "Standard Delivery" and was just pointing it out.

There is enough opportunity on the landing pages before paying.
I notice it all the time.

Jeez, the difficulties some people have with this internet thing.

No, it is not difficult for me, I had no trouble before but it should not be forced upon me like that when paying for something and to be signed up?
I don't know the implications on whether it will charge or not or charge after the "free" 30 day period if I don't cancel but I am EDIT **oops** NOT interested in it.

I didn't have difficulties before but when I don't want it there and I can't cancel and the implications, you might know better if you are on Prime but all I want to do is to pay for what I want and the delivery and that is it and not be signed up for things that I don't want. I don't want the hassle really.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:25:22 am by MrMobodies »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 06:40:12 am »
I had some good and bad experiences with Amazon and I suppose if you use it all the time it becomes worthwhile.

I got my first camera about 13 years ago and it turned up used and scratched so I spoke to someone at Amazon and the next day they sent another camera with all the seals and the packaging. I got a German kettle from there that I couldn't get anywhere else at the time,

I don't think I will use Prime at this time.
I don't watch a lot of films and I suppose it will be great for that.

I have a suspicion that maybe do to competition they are desperately looking for more Prime users and are really trying to push the brand.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 02:17:23 pm »
See attachment.

Doesn't make any sense.

I have two options:
standard one day delivery, free.
one day delivery guaranteed before 12:00, paid.
Just as they are in your photo, only worded differently

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 04:21:47 pm »
I've never been caught out by accidentally signing up to Prime, but I do check things carefully.
I did once.  That "Try Prime" button on every page?  I clicked on it expecting to go to a page that extolled the benefits.  No, confirmation.  Just signed up.

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 04:34:12 pm »
They stitched me up with that Prime stuff, I didn't realize till I got my credit card statement and wondered what Prime was! They just lost another customer of many years, I closed my account and put them in my blocked list so they no longer appear in my searches. Dirty way to do business and I find it hard to believe the have not been stamped on for misleading people.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 06:28:13 pm »
Besides the oversaturation with spammy ads (are they really ads if they're for, and on, their own platform?) and Prime nagging,

The search is just utterly braindead.

I can maybe believe it's optimized for consumer items somehow, but I don't shop for those online.  At least not from them.  I'm usually searching for something technical, and it takes easily half an hour to sift through the results, try different keywords, discover new keywords and categories, and finally read a few (sketchy) descriptions to have reasonable confidence in what I'm about to push the button on.

Meanwhile, I've easily spent the labor of buying the thing straight even from McMaster (which, if you don't know, is one of the highest marked-up distributors you'll see, among engineering-related distributors I think).  Let alone DK/Mouser, no contest (their markup isn't as aggressive as McMaster, I'd say).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 06:42:13 pm »
I have the same problem with Amazon.
Their search engine and filter features Suck (with a capital S).

And yes, they have attempted to lure me  with the Amazon Prime more than once.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 07:32:21 pm »
Just a point with prime. You can almost always find whatever you want cheaper somewhere else.

The problem is that it actually turns up quickly and you get decent support and returns with amazon unlike nearly every other vendors so I’m fine with paying for prime.

Case in point I bought some shoes a couple of weeks back next day delivery from another vendor and the courier delivered them to the wrong address. Neither the courier or vendor give a fuck so I had to charge back. Amazon wouldn’t have fucked up to start with and would have just sent another pair out if they did.

The following users thanked this post: TomS_

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 10:06:08 pm »
You don't need Prime for that though. I buy stuff from Amazon fairly often and I've never had a Prime membership. I almost always get free shipping and the great customer service Amazon is known for. Yeah it takes several days for my orders to turn up but so what? I plan ahead and stuff arrives by the time I need it.

One of the things I find most valuable are the reviews. Unfortunately more and more of these get spoiled in recent years because a seller will list a bunch of different items under one listing. For example they might have a battery charger, cells in AAA, AA, C, D and 9V, sometimes multiple capacities and grades of those all using the "colors" selection of the listing. The issue is the reviews for all these items get all lumped together and it's impossible to filter to reviews for a specific item. I actually mentioned this to an Amazon employee I met and he said listing like that is against policy but apparently they are not very good at catching sellers who do it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 10:19:38 pm »
That’s ok until you have kids who gobble up ink cartridges, pens, paper, tape, glue, books etc. You can’t plan ahead there (I have tried)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 10:24:25 pm »
That’s ok until you have kids who gobble up ink cartridges, pens, paper, tape, glue, books etc. You can’t plan ahead there (I have tried)

Usually it's the dog eating the books, but hey, kids these days are voracious.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 10:27:03 pm »
We managed to plan ahead just fine long before Amazon was a thing. If you have stuff that you use a lot of, you just keep a stock of it somewhere the kids can't get to and replenish the stock as it starts to get low. Ink cartridges and pens should be good for a year or so sealed in the package, so as long as you don't buy more than a years worth at a time you'll be fine.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 11:20:21 pm »
The shipping isn't really free though, you pay for it with a $120 annual lump sum as well as additional purchases which you'll likely be willing to pay more for than a competitor might charge because the shipping is "free." Your use pattern might allow you to get a better deal but on average Amazon is making money off Prime, and quite a lot of it I would guess otherwise they wouldn't push it so hard.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 11:20:59 pm »
It’s basically free because I can run 20-30 orders a month.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 11:23:28 pm »
I have trouble understanding how some people order 20-30 things a month. I probably don't purchase that many items a month from all sources combined. With Amazon I probably place 5-10 orders a year. If I ordered 30 things a month my house would be overflowing in no time.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 11:26:10 pm »
Mainly consumables, books, gifts, business expenses. There’s 5 of us here, I run a business from home and so does my other half.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf