Author Topic: And Todays Audiophool Product is................  (Read 31742 times)

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
Re: And Todays Audiophool Product is................
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 04:49:37 am »
Shouldn't they be a half wavelength over the floor? I would imagine if you want your bass to propagate predictably. Now what is the wavelength of 20 HZ hehe.

As for the violinist, she is a performer, and am sure she doesn't like coughing sneezing and hacking during the quiet parts of her solo. So is 'tuned' to it.

Unless I was using the best of tape recorders , I always could hear (or imagine to hear) flutter in piano or similar pieces. The invention of CDs was a boon to me.

Unless I use the finest of CD players, I  can always  hear jitter(just kidding)

Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline george.b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2016, 05:14:45 am »
Tell that to Albert Einstein "Spooky action at a distance". He was also a violin player. :D
This is strange but true.

The spooky evidence:
http://www.nist.gov/pml/div686/20151105loophole.cfm

http://www.space.com/31562-weird-universe-revealed-in-quantum-entanglement-breakthrough.html

Why, if the cable is quantum entangled to the floor, then the cable elevator won't help  :-//  ;D

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2016, 08:48:31 am »
I'm annoyed I didn't think of this myself.

Offline ruffy91

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2016, 09:24:41 am »
Of course 10 for $150 isn't all that ridiculous considering there are cables that run thousands of $$$ per meter.

When I buy cables for several hundred $/meter i expect them to come with connectors like these or equivalent:

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 09:51:40 am »
Of course 10 for $150 isn't all that ridiculous considering there are cables that run thousands of $$$ per meter.
When I buy cables for several hundred $/meter i expect them to come with connectors like these or equivalent:

What's wrong with the Direct Neural Interface from The Matrix? Ultra-high bandwidth through a thin coaxial cable.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline Urs42

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 09:52:12 am »
My Navibot is trying to eat all my cables, those cable elevators could be THE solution ;-)

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 11:24:13 am »
Rather expensive for a block of foam with a V cut out of it.
It's made of DARK MATTER. Something that physics has prove only in theory. And they have made that foam with it!

I'm sure it might have some very slight effect on very high frequency signals... anyone who knows microwave/RF voodoo care to comment?
Without being a RF engineer: of course, expecially depending on the scenario, floor material and substrate etc.. With a spectrum analyzer and a TG connected you can see how much a little position change in an unshielded cable can affect high frequencies.

But considering that our hearing bandwidth is very limited (20-20KHz at best) I don't think this should even take in consideration.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:26:36 am by mcinque »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 12:17:42 pm »
Duh, obvious improvements to  be made by raising the cable above the noise floor...

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 01:38:26 pm »
Damn, the staff approves reviews, I wrote one about how it was great because I could use a teeny tiny vacuum without lifting the cables instead of having to lift them up to use a full sized one, but that's never going to go through.

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 03:12:02 pm »
Mike has a low cost version from a while back.

http://electricstuff.co.uk/marxgen.htm

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2016, 05:05:57 pm »
Why do violin players sought after hundreds of years old violin made by Stradivari or  Guarnari?
Because they're famous. A modern, well-made violin sounds just as good.
Actually there was a study done that attributed the sound to the properties of the wood itself. It was made with wood from trees that had very thin growth rings, thus altering the acoustic properties. Growth rings due to the 'extreme' period cold that occurred back then.
I dont know how valid that is but may or may not be.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 05:48:18 pm »
Why do violin players sought after hundreds of years old violin made by Stradivari or  Guarnari?
Because they're famous. A modern, well-made violin sounds just as good.
Actually there was a study done that attributed the sound to the properties of the wood itself. It was made with wood from trees that had very thin growth rings, thus altering the acoustic properties. Growth rings due to the 'extreme' period cold that occurred back then.
I dont know how valid that is but may or may not be.
They have also made blind test where an experienced audience wasn't allowed to see the instrument and then asked which they preferred and naturally there was no correlation with the hyped famous brands. (I.e. old high-end brand compared to modern high-end model.)

Offline HP-ILnerd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 08:44:25 pm »
Get a load of the description of this one.  Looks like the wankery let the magic smoke out of google translate.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LSPX-S1-SONY-Bluetooth-Enabled-Glass-Sound-Speaker-13W-Relax-Space-JAPAN-F-S/272305953367

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2016, 11:15:13 pm »
Sountina (sauntina) is Sony's original Speaker drive technology to produce sound wave. Because the vibration is handed down to the whole organic glass side to every corner, it is cylindrical sound source, and there is little decrement of sound at away distance, and all directions can open clear sound.

Baloney. I had a cheap Zenith "Allegro" stereo back in the 70s that had the same kind of cylindrical diffusers on its speakers. Only difference is they were on the top instead of the bottom. Cheaper too.

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2016, 12:00:45 am »
I get a kick out of vinyl, own a couple pairs of quality headphones, and use a dedicated portable DAP

..and I'm terribly ashamed of being even remotely associated with audiophools like these.  :-[

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2016, 01:07:26 am »
Duh, obvious improvements to  be made by raising the cable above the noise floor...

Don't laugh too loud.

I can see a marketing angle on that which could strike a chord with an audiophool that has heard the term. but not understood it.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2016, 02:06:45 am »
Don't laugh too loud.

I can see a marketing angle on that which could strike a chord with an audiophool that has heard the term. but not understood it.
You say that as if it's not the single strategy powering the audiophile industry!
Do consumers understand "jitter", "skin effect", "linearity", or a hundred other buzzwords? Who cares, they sure sound fancy!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2016, 07:16:34 am »

Don't laugh too loud.

Audiophile signal transmission across long distance obviously requires greater separation and distance from the noise floor

http://www.choishine.com/Projects/giants.html

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2016, 08:09:33 am »
10/10 for the link to the land of giants project, stuff like that needs more exposure.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2016, 08:23:24 am »
There's also a review for it.
Quote from: review
Large and versatile cable elevators
These are large, easy to use cable elevators which can accommodate just about any size or shape of cable. If they have one slight problem it is that they are very light and, therefore, will fall over quite easily. Taping them down is a solution, but that can be something of an inconvenience. They do improve the sound when used to elevate speaker cables off the floor, relieving some "congestion" from the music and improving the clarity of the sound somewhat. Not earthshaking, but a nice addition.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2016, 09:39:53 am »
I'm annoyed I didn't think of this myself.

you could make cable elevator elevators, to isolate the cable from the elevator, that may induce noise in to the cable  :-+

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2016, 03:18:42 pm »
"If they have one slight problem it is that they are very light and, therefore, will fall over quite easily. Taping them down is a solution, "

Hang on, I missed that bit. If you tape an isolator down to the floor so that it cannot move wouldn't that affect the isolation?
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2016, 03:40:43 pm »
Dip the audiophool in liquid nitrogen overnight, all perceived and psycho acoustic bollocks cease almost immediately

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2016, 09:48:19 am »
"If they have one slight problem it is that they are very light and, therefore, will fall over quite easily. Taping them down is a solution, "

Hang on, I missed that bit. If you tape an isolator down to the floor so that it cannot move wouldn't that affect the isolation?
The molecular arrangement in the tape would totally ruin the sound !!!!!!!  :scared:
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf