Author Topic: audiofool opamps  (Read 6106 times)

Online NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
audiofool opamps
« on: May 27, 2018, 03:07:28 pm »
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5i/
They apparently don't want to admit how poor their noise performance is when it's not listed in the datasheet.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
Re: audiofool opamps
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 04:05:05 pm »
Yes, that's a pitifully inept spec sheet...

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 05:09:20 pm »
A bias current in the 2 µA range is also more typical for a BJT based OP than a JFET design. With such a high bias quite a few circuits made for FET based OPs will not work. In addition input current noise is also likely rather high with so much bias - so higher impedance circuits would likely be rather noisy.

There is essentially no way a single OP can replace so different OPs as listed: they are just to different in GBW. When replacing a slow one it might oscillate. Higher GBW is not always better.

Another point is the common mode range: especially with a discrete input stage it is hard to get rail to rail performance and some of the OPs listed work to at least one rail.

Even when designing a circuit around that OP - the data-sheet is telling enough to reliably use that amplifier.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 05:45:46 pm »
Based on the specifications, it looks something like an ADA4898 followed by a buffer.

The list of operational amplifiers which it is suppose to replace however is ludicrous as it includes both JFET and low noise bipolar parts.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 07:21:47 pm »
In any event, passive components contribute more hiss than the transistors. Especially any high value resistors in the inputs, if they are not bypassed by a lower impedance such as a mic or guitar pickup. This is why non-inverting preamps are generally quieter - an inverting stage must have series resistors. The quality of resistors in such positions also makes a huge difference. Cheap carbon film types can be very noisy, a top brand metal film type far less so.

The TL071-4 series, designed by audio guru John Linsley-Hood, are very inexpensive and good enough even for professional gear. So, why pay silly money?

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 11:16:36 pm »
In any event, passive components contribute more hiss than the transistors. Especially any high value resistors in the inputs, if they are not bypassed by a lower impedance such as a mic or guitar pickup. This is why non-inverting preamps are generally quieter - an inverting stage must have series resistors. The quality of resistors in such positions also makes a huge difference. Cheap carbon film types can be very noisy, a top brand metal film type far less so.

Another place to see this is in power amplifiers which use emitter degeneration (resistors in series with the emitters) in their differential input stage to lower transconductance.  See below why this is necessary.

Since power amplifiers are usually intended for a high level input, the added noise is usually not a problem but it sure is annoying if are close to a high efficiency speaker at low volume levels.

The TL071-4 series, designed by audio guru John Linsley-Hood, are very inexpensive and good enough even for professional gear. So, why pay silly money?

And there are even much better JFET input parts now which do not cost a lot more.

Originally the big advantage in audio applications of JFET operational amplifiers besides low input bias current was lower first stage transconductance which allows higher gain-bandwidth product, slew rate, and full power bandwidth.  Early bipolar operational amplifiers used emitter degeneration to trade higher input voltage noise for the same things so they had as much if not more voltage noise anyway and there was no reason not to use a JFET part.  The old noisy LM318 is a good example of this kind of bipolar part and it is common with modern "video" amplifiers where low input noise is not required.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 05:48:14 pm »
You could probably put a 741 in a fancy can and people would buy it and write glowing reviews.

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley, Yansi

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 06:59:58 pm »
You could probably put a 741 in a fancy can and people would buy it and write glowing reviews.

Start a line of operational amplifier substitutes for the authentic 741 sound.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 07:02:25 pm »
I think uA709 wold get more crispier sound with honey-like mids...  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 02:11:52 am »
You have to go with the technology of the day to match the media of the day.  Anything to do with vinyl records can only be properly processed with op-amps using the mighty 741!

Do you think it's only coincidence that the hey-day for both ran through the 70's and 80's?!!!

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 05:18:28 am »
Disgusting solid state crap!

Tubes rule! >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 12:36:55 am »

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 12:51:59 am »
All I know is his domain name was renewed, and his website is still up. So everyone is assuming he is still alive, whoever he is.
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline 0xFFF0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 10:34:04 am »
Wima caps for $5. Did a virgin urinate about that? I bought the same MKP type for 20 cents some weeks ago. To the OPs: The values given in the data sheet are worse by a factor of 10-15 than in a very good OP for $2.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:13:09 am by 0xFFF0 »

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 04:25:38 am »
eh. people have been fooling about with opamp replacements in pro audio gear forever.

people take the opamps out of a perfectly functioning bit of gear, put in new ones with no idea how the opamp's specs match the rest of the circuit, and have a listen. if they like it, there's a win for serendipity. if they hate it, they chuck it out and find another one to put in... people with old mixing desks sometimes load different channels up with different opamps just to have them all a bit different.

It's kind of like car hot-rodding but based entirely with audio performance as measured with the users ears, and subjective taste. because that's the thing with audio electronics... if it sounds good, or you can convince someone it sounds good, then it is good. For something, at least.

though normally they're at least fully discrete opamps in the vein of original parts used in old neve designs when you spend that much $.
https://jlmaudio.com/shop/jlm99v-opamp-/-16v-to-/-24v.html?display_tax_prices=1

it's a bit funny if you ask me, but way less offensive than the actually out of touch with reality hoo-ha of one-way audio cables, or even $1000 IEC power cables.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 07:11:25 pm »
When building stuff for my own use I typically design around TL07x series or maybe NE553x series, depending on what I'm actually using the amps for.  On the output of my preamp, I actually have TL072 gain stages with an LH0002 buffer inside the feedback loop; the advantage is that I can drive arbitrarily low impedances without compromising performance - and it has come in handy once or twice.  Pretty much any good op amp with a low noise spec can be made to work in hi-fi applications.

What I can't get my head around is why people are now praising single-ended triode amps with way too little feedback, poor impedance characteristics and practically no output capability.  I built amps back in the 60s which outperform them by miles, and I didn't spend $2000 on them either - more like $20.

But yeah, the real nutters are the ones who spend more than a few pennies per foot for audio cable.  Though I'd save a place at the table for the ones who claim demagnetizing their LPs improves the sound.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 07:12:32 pm »
At least they are not using old K2-W operational amplifiers.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 08:02:24 pm »
In the compact disc’s heyday, some people would dunk them in liquid nitrogen.

Digital Audio guru Ken Pohlmann, actually bet that he would fill his pool with LN2, and jump inside if someone could provide proof of the improvement.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 09:15:00 pm »
At least they are not using old K2-W operational amplifiers.

Sshhhhhhh... the tweakers are probably rushing to their benches right now to build up some expensive new preamps based on these...

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf