Author Topic: Audiophool: £2,000.00 BNC cable  (Read 13898 times)

Offline Matty272

• Contributor
Re: Audiophool: £2,000.00 BNC cable
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 06:49:04 pm »
Why are there so many of these audiophool companies ?

Because the profit margins are so large, perhaps?

Forgive me for missing if your question was entirely facetious  :-+

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 08:37:08 pm »
This is not the main cause IMO. The main reason companies in general are founded is not because there are potentially large margins, otherwise there wouldn't be many companies created at all... (don't have the figures at hand but companies with say margins >= 80% are a pretty small percentage of all companies).

The main reason is that there are potential customers.

One thing to consider though is that at least, these audiophool products are usually of good build quality. Of course they are mostly bullshit when it comes to what the company claims and are grossly overpriced, but they are still quality products. I'm sure these cables for instance are made to last. Customers willing to shell out large amounts of money are often a pain to deal with - so if any of the products you sell have early failures and/or you have bad customer service, you won't last for very long.

In other words and as I personally see it, the "audiophool industry" is mostly a way some clever businessmen have found to make a business in audio very profitable while just selling basic quality products. As the hi-fi demand has declined overall (as I remember we have discussed in another thread), audio companies now have to find ways to sell some people what would have been called "hi-fi" a few decades ago, adding the phool factor to convince them. The reason IMO being that a large majority of people now can't make a difference between a quality audio product and a cheap MP3 player, and don't even care. So the "hi-fi" factor is not enough anymore to attract them. I guess you now have to resort to black magic arguments to convince them and get some market share.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 11:03:13 pm »
One thing to consider though is that at least, these audiophool products are usually of good build quality. Of course they are mostly bullshit when it comes to what the company claims and are grossly overpriced, but they are still quality products. I'm sure these cables for instance are made to last. Customers willing to shell out large amounts of money are often a pain to deal with - so if any of the products you sell have early failures and/or you have bad customer service, you won't last for very long.
That's not true at all. Usually build quality is dubious and not certified for safety and EMC.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 01:09:40 am »
I have examined some overpriced cables which didn't even have a solid mechanical join between the wire and the connector; betting on high quality construction can be hit-or-miss.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 11:29:29 am »

I wonder if this is the kind of stuff that Einstein used to pour over.
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 04:51:25 am »
Money laundering.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: m12lrpv, Richard Crowley, Exosia

Offline pylo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 05:05:00 pm »
Standard length of cable is 1 metre.

Besides all the marketing BS, I also like the fact that whoever falls for this non-sense will pay much more than the advertised £2,000. After all, once you need a 50ohm coax cable for audio, you often need more than just 1m.

£10,000 for 5-meters anybody? Or maybe sales will give you a 30% discount and you'll feel extremely lucky to only pay £7,000.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 06:15:53 pm »
£10,000 for 5-meters anybody? Or maybe sales will give you a 30% discount and you'll feel extremely lucky to only pay £7,000.

I could make one of those myself.
Just buy or use some bog standard 50 ohm cable, mesh braiding, washers, heat shrink, I got the tools and put them on myself.
Spacing the washes and keeping them in place might be a bit tricky and I would have find some round see throught cover and glue them and then thread it through the cable.

I was thinking about that ridiculous paragraph.

Sigma Series cables showcase technological innovation and design execution.
Design execution with their technical terminologies to attract audiophools.

that simply does not exist elsewhere.
Not in the normal shops I got to for the least.
Oh I have seen them on Ebay and Amazon.

— at any price.
Any normal sane person won't buy it any price.

Sigma Series cables combine meaningful parts innovations
that appeals to the audiophool.

with objective measurement
Knowing how far they can stretch the terminology and bs to attract as many fools as they can through the trendy, pretty, fancy wording and pictures.

and an artisan’s eye for construction quality.
Using bog standard coax connectors, mesh braiding, a bit of heat shrinking, washers and a see through cover.

Unlike many cost-no-object cable products that have little in the way of discernible science,
I guess the object here is the audiophool and the science behind it is the brainwashing that goes into as the audiopools who buy these things spare no expense believing the claims and terminology.

Sigma Series products incorporate an array of definable technologies that sets the standard for quality and performance in the cable industry.
An array of marketing bs and terminology to encourage more to the flourishing industry of these scams and to attract all the other fools out there.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:54:52 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 07:09:37 pm »
All of those poor, ignorant recording studios like Abbey Road and Westlake have been putting out sub-standard audio recordings for all these years because they aren’t using this cutting edge tech in their facilities when they make the recordings in the first place. Imagine how much better everything would sound if those studios would only invest half a billion dollars each to upgrade every piece of wiring throughout their facilities with proper audiophile cabling!

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 10:12:44 pm »
All of those poor, ignorant recording studios like Abbey Road and Westlake have been putting out sub-standard audio recordings for all these years because they aren’t using this cutting edge tech in their facilities when they make the recordings in the first place. Imagine how much better everything would sound if those studios would only invest half a billion dollars each to upgrade every piece of wiring throughout their facilities with proper audiophile cabling!

I like that.

Playing the Phool.

Offline BenonymousII

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 04:58:01 am »
From the same phools

"The most significant advance applied to the DF-SS is the wide band cable suspension bridge, designed to support any cable, power or signal, while dissipating vibrational energy through the purposefully tensioned polymer band. The second innovation is the energy-absorbing granular compound that fills the base of the DF-SS. This compound formulation absorbs floor borne energy that would otherwise couple to the cable, causing signal degradation. These combined technologies define the DF-SS as the most technically advanced cable suspension system on the market.

To prove the DF-SS efficacy, Shunyata will be publishing Accelerometer test results with the DF-SS, indicating the level of isolation they provide from floor borne vibration, common to all sound system environments."

https://shunyata-uk.com/product/accessories/df-ss-cable-elevator/

The following users thanked this post: Deodand2014

Offline Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 07:28:23 am »
From the same phools

"The most significant advance applied to the DF-SS is the wide band cable suspension bridge, designed to support any cable, power or signal, while dissipating vibrational energy through the purposefully tensioned polymer band. The second innovation is the energy-absorbing granular compound that fills the base of the DF-SS. This compound formulation absorbs floor borne energy that would otherwise couple to the cable, causing signal degradation. These combined technologies define the DF-SS as the most technically advanced cable suspension system on the market.

So the base is filled with sand, I hope they're not using Monazite sands, the radiation will denature the cables...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 07:57:48 am »
What the fuck?  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

Offline Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 03:22:14 pm »
I think this video by someone who seems to specialize in reviewing Knives and Watches says it all...

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 08:07:48 pm »
reviewing Knives

His video would be 20,000 times better if he had an accident with those knives and chopped his hands off. I stuck it out for 14 seconds before preferring to remain unenlightened.

The following users thanked this post: m12lrpv, bd139

Offline pylo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 11:03:21 am »

Wow these people piss me off to an extent I cannot even bring to words. Shunyata and the like are just professional con-artists and they should be criminally charged for what they are doing.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 11:43:17 am »
reviewing Knives

His video would be 20,000 times better if he had an accident with those knives and chopped his hands off. I stuck it out for 14 seconds before preferring to remain unenlightened.

Kind of annoying but there's no content other than his hands and the coiled up cables so play the video and flick to another browser tab

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 01:00:19 pm »
I have a stack of those cables (minus the wank) sitting in a box. They've had plenty of "burn-in" time in the back of a Sky News OB van. Hmmm....

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 07:01:01 pm »
From the same phools

To prove the DF-SS efficacy, Shunyata will be publishing Accelerometer test results with the DF-SS, indicating the level of isolation they provide from floor borne vibration, common to all sound system environments."

https://shunyata-uk.com/product/accessories/df-ss-cable-elevator/

The BS in there is even worse than the other one.

"The most significant advance applied to the DF-SS is the wide band cable suspension bridge :bullshit:, designed to support any cable :blah:, power or signal :blah:, while dissipating vibrational energy through the purposefully tensioned polymer band :bullshit:. The second innovation is the energy-absorbing granular compound :bullshit: that fills the base of the DF-SS :bullshit:. This compound formulation absorbs floor borne energy :bullshit: that would otherwise couple to the cable :bullshit:, causing signal degradation :bullshit:. These combined technologies define the DF-SS as the most technically advanced cable suspension system :bullshit: on the market :bullshit:.

To prove the DF-SS efficacy, Shunyata will be publishing Accelerometer test results with the DF-SS  :blah: indicating the level of isolation they provide :bullshit: from floor borne vibration :bullshit:, common to all sound system environments. :bullshit:"

Haven't they ever heard of fibre cables?
I can't find any fibre cables on their site.

Here's a joke:

– Static-Neutralizing Polymer

Yes dark field suspension system all plastic with NO GROUND.

– Vibration Absorbing Compound (internally)

Made of what, magic?

– Polymer Cable Suspension Bridge

Where the cables can fall off like in the picture or it snaps.

– Vibration Absorbing Feet for hard surfaces

And thick rubber sound insulation or evem thick underlay isn't as good.

– Patented design

They must be very proud of themselves as nobody would want to copy it anyway.

– Wide Foundation (won’t tip or fall)

where you'd trip over it.

– Unequaled Shunyata Build Quality

They did a bad job trying to make it look like a couple of pyramids.

APPLICATIONS
Can be used to support speaker cables or power cables. Elevates them off the floor.

So can some soft rubber cables and a bit of trunking without the trip hazard.

Oh look they're selling USB 2 cables 1.5m for £2000 with that washer thing on it:
https://shunyata-uk.com/product/digital-cables/sigma-usb/

Regardless of retail price :blah:, Shunyata Research’s Sigma USB cable resides at the top of its performance class :bullshit: due to Shunyata’s unique design :bullshit: , hand-craftsmanship :bullshit: and patent-pending technology. :bullshit: A primary design attribute of the Sigma USB is its expensive 100% coverage silver-braided shield :blah: , eliminating exposure to sources of near field noise radiation :blah: .  Shunyata’s proprietary Precision Matched Z conductors eliminate wire incongruities that would otherwise distort high-speed signal transfer :bullshit:. Sigma USB also sports the finest CCC silver wire and FEP dielectrics to further reduce internal distortions :blah:. Taking USB design and performance where it’s never been before is Sigma USB’s unique Patent-Pending TAP (Transverse Axial Polarizer) , which preserves signal timing by reducing inductive field energy.  :blah: Finishing the Sigma USB design are hand-applied custom-manufactured connectors developed to eliminate junction related distortions inherent in standard USB cable designs  :bullshit: . The material and scientific advances within the Sigma USB demonstrate why it has received universal praise :bullshit: and endorsement from those who have compared it to USB cables costing two to three times the Sigma’s price:bullshit:

I have yet to see one, two to three times the price of that.

Universal praise From whom?

The phools of themselves?

Compared it how?

They possibly mean that because it looks good from the picture it gets universally praised on comparisons.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:10:59 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 08:17:55 pm »
so play the video and flick to another browser tab

What's the point of the video then? If he can't be arsed to type in text content I can't be arsed to waste my time listening to him.

It's a bad trend. The tendency now is to run off a 1 hour video when a couple of pages of text would be MUCH better. I can skim text, search it easily, etc. With video it's basically saying "Your attention is all mine until the end. Every time." Sod that.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2019, 08:39:08 pm »
so play the video and flick to another browser tab

What's the point of the video then? If he can't be arsed to type in text content I can't be arsed to waste my time listening to him.

It's a bad trend. The tendency now is to run off a 1 hour video when a couple of pages of text would be MUCH better. I can skim text, search it easily, etc. With video it's basically saying "Your attention is all mine until the end. Every time." Sod that.

Fair enough, don't watch it then. There's not much/anything in it that we don't know but he has pretty much the same bee in his bonnet about audiophool cables that we do.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2019, 10:58:12 pm »
I saw the video.

I think this video by someone who seems to specialize in reviewing Knives and Watches says it all...

"by trying to sell them super like stupidly expensive cables..."
"They also sell stupid cables too. They sell you know these super high end you know with all these fancy boxes and shielding and cables that are this freaking thick they connect to dvd play to your dv..."

blind testing:

"That is a way where you test scientifically whether there is a difference here. Nobody freaking does this with speaker cables because the speaker cable companies hate it because it shows that there is no freaking difference here..."

"There is however dumber depths that they have probed. They sell expensive power cables... The miles and miles of cable in your household to your expensive cable to the power plant that's not expensive either so that's not helping you either."

Take a look a this:
SIGMA NR UK £3300 for 1.75metre
https://shunyata-uk.com/product/power-cables/sigma-nr-uk/

Wire:
OFE 6 gauge, VTX™ geometry.

Now THAT'S a special kind of stupid.

Forget about every other one of their claims. It is so big it's ridiculous. I could see it pulling against and causing damage to the sockets and the appliance with it so big and dangling out there and those pins and the connector so tiny compared to the cable.

That has got to be one of the worst out there for audiophoolery.

No mains cable needs to be that big for much less than a 13a load.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:03:37 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2019, 07:13:19 am »
Thanks for the precis, MrNobodies  :-+

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2019, 08:15:03 pm »
 NEC in the US says a #6 wire can safely carry 55 to 75 amps, depending on the temperature rating. The worst, 60C rated wire can do 55 amps. So what exactly are these morons trying to claim this way oversized wiring is doing for you? Reducing the voltage drop? Like the many feet of #12 or #14 from the outlet back to the breaker doesn't have more effect than the short wire from the outlet to the equipment.  I almost feel sorry for the idiots who fall for this crap. ALMOST.
 Oh wait, 3 wires bundled in a cable longer than 24 inches must be derated to 80%. So that's STILL 44 amps. Still ridiculous. Still does absolutely nothing.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 04:43:32 pm »
I found a video of one of their plugs from their Youtube channel:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf