Author Topic: Audiophool: £2,000.00 BNC cable  (Read 13899 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Audiophool: £2,000.00 BNC cable
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2019, 04:49:57 pm »
It disappoints me that comments are disabled  :-DD

Check this bollocks out:

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2019, 09:58:18 pm »
I see they shun comments and ratings.

I was looking at their videos and comparing the ratings and views as the CopperConn video had the ratings turned on

They turned the ratings off to start with on their first couple of videos and maybe forgot to turn them off for a while up until 2015.

ShunYaTa Research videos

The Inside Story
Published on 21 Mar 2012
Ratings disabled

Philosophy, People & Products
Published on 21 Mar 2012
Ratings disabled

ΞTRON® Demonstration
Published on 21 Mar 2012
Ratings disabled

Shunyata Research: TYPHON Electrical Characteristics
Published on 24 Jan 2014
up: 8
Down: 7

Custom Parts Materials
Published on 30 Jul 2014
up: 19
Down: 6

STIS Interchangeable Terminals
Published on 30 Jul 2014
down: 2

Hubbell SR-Z1 Outlets
Published on 30 Jul 2014
up: 18
down: 6

DTCD™ Concept
Published on 30 Jul 2014
up: 21
down: 5

DPC-6 Noise Test
Published on 30 Jul 2014
up: 19
Down: 7

CopperCONN™ Connectors
Published on 30 Jul 2014
up: 13
Down: 9

Shunyata Research Introduction
Published on 30 Jul 2014
Down: 2

HYDRA DPC-6
Published on 1 Aug 2014
Down: 4

CCI™ Concept
Published on 11 Aug 2014
up: 10
Down: 5

Reducing Noise Levels in Electrophysiology Medical Procedures
Published on 4 Dec 2015
Ratings disabled

DENALI Series - Controlling Vibration
Published on 22 Aug 2016
Ratings disabled

DENALI Series - Design and Technology
Published on 22 Aug 2016
Ratings disabled

DTCD and ASCC Demonstration
Published on 22 Aug 2016
Ratings disabled

DENALI Series - Noise Reduction Demonstration
Published on 23 Aug 2016
Ratings disabled

DENALI Series Power Conditioner Introduction
Published on 23 Aug 2016
Ratings disabled

Reducing Noise Levels in Electrophysiology Medical Procedures
Published on 16 Nov 2016
Ratings disabled

Entech Versus Alpha Labs Noise Detectors
Published on 27 Mar 2018
Ratings disabled
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:56:06 pm by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2019, 10:55:41 am »
From my local audio store:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2019, 11:22:50 am »
Richer Sounds?

When I used to buy HiFi kit in there years ago we'd take up three hours to buy a cheap amp and then scam them out of some free cable  :-DD

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2019, 11:27:43 am »
Really curious if do a blind test on these goons with aluminium cable vs the full copper one.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2019, 11:32:08 am »
£16.50 for 50M of cable is a pretty good deal, I'd buy that and just ignore the audiophool bollocks

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2019, 04:29:14 pm »
£16.50 for 50M of cable is a pretty good deal, I'd buy that and just ignore the audiophool bollocks

I don't see polarity marking on it (unless it's on the other side). Anyway, before buying I'd check gauge.

Rumors say there are Chinese cables made of non-copper metal, but coated with thin copper layer. I'd stay away from them.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2019, 05:12:25 pm »
That whole hi-end audio is a lost battle. No matter what you buy as equipment it is never going to be as good as the real thing.

Real audio purists just hire the artist to play live for them, preferably renting places like Sydney opera hall as a venue, but not before flooding the place with using imported air from the Swiss Alps. Oh, and don't forget to clean your ears using hand picked cotton wound around a mahogany stick dipped in Fijian spring water.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline benbradley

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2019, 07:12:39 pm »
AKDL1

It's the classic - I've not seen anyone top it - it's the only such thing (obvious audiophoolery) I've seen by a "real" brand name (Denon), so I suppose it was more trolling than anything else. It has hundreds of positive and amazing (as in completely over-the-top) reviews on Amazon, including at least one by a former starship officer. It was a bargain for audiophool cables at only $500.

It's interesting that the first google hit is a "Bulk Power Cord Wire" manufacturer - at least someone knows how to do SEO "right."

Unfortunately, the infamous Amazon page for it is gone (it came out over 10 years ago), but surely all those reviews are saved in archive.org or somewhere on the web.

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2019, 09:16:35 pm »
Seems to me like the audiophool subculture would be a good candidate for some research to be done on them and it.

There is A LOT OF research being done in that area. Shuntayo is one of those researchers :) They are reserching ways to rob people thousands of dollars and have the victim thank them and shake their hands afterwards. If that's not cutting edge research and skill, then I don't know what is  :-//
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2019, 04:32:41 pm »

Just the thing for my Mono Pole Subminiture Flux Capacitor.
However, It's taken me nearly thirty years and my entire family fortune.
So £2,000 is totally out of the question.

Offline benbradley

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2019, 03:08:22 am »
AKDL1
Unfortunately, the infamous Amazon page for it is gone (it came out over 10 years ago), but surely all those reviews are saved in archive.org or somewhere on the web.
Here we go, saved on the UK site. Fortunately, most commenters just went along with the game and make HUGELY over-the-top descriptions of this cable:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Discontinued-Manufacturer-Blue/dp/B000I1X6PM

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2019, 03:26:17 pm »
I didn't think expensive cables are worth it until I bought my first VNA.
Those cable crafters can do something good to the society by applying their handcraft technique and patience on making high end RF cables.
It's a shame that good workmanship is poured to unnecessary marketing snake oil things.
There is no craftmanship in that crap. Most of those are worse than good non BS cable, at least from mechanical perspective. And many of them are worse than decent cheap cable.

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley, newbrain, Jacon

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2019, 06:33:30 pm »
Rumors say there are Chinese cables made of non-copper metal, but coated with thin copper layer. I'd stay away from them.

That's not rumor. I accidentally bought some of that crap. It copper clad aluminium. There is just enough copper to give it some colour and for the solder to stick to, but only once. It's uncanny. The wire once tinned will no longer be solderable.
I still have some of it and use it for non critical stuff.

But you know what the funny part is? I bought it as audio cable. :-DD

Offline Canuck787

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2021, 01:52:36 pm »
Oh, but they also sell an RCA cable with the same "technology" for twice as much:
https://shunyata-uk.com/product/analog-cables/sigma-rca/

:-DD

 

From the website:
  

£4,000.00

Sigma Series cables showcase technological innovation and design execution that simply does not exist elsewhere — at any price. Sigma Series cables combine meaningful parts innovations with objective measurement and an artisan’s eye for construction quality. Unlike many cost-no-object cable products that have little in the way of discernible science, Sigma Series products incorporate an array of definable technologies that sets the standard for quality and performance in the cable industry.

Price is per pair of interconnect cables.
Standard length of each cable is 1 metre.
 Please contact us for custom lengths.

All prices include VAT.

The RCA cables are sold in pairs, so the price per cable is the same.

£4,000.00 for one cable would be unreasonable, apparently £2,000.00 is okay!!  ;)

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Hilarious.
Why do people fall for this stuff?   :palm:

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2021, 03:27:48 pm »

Their customers don't have knowledge that we have. My music teacher asked me my opinion if hand-wired guitar amplifiers are any better than mass-produced amp assembled on PCBs. And that's good, he has critical thinking and didn't fall into "it's more expensive, it must be better" or "hand-made electronics should better, like custom-shop guitar vs stock guitar".

This makes me thinking where are gaps in my knowledge. It's impossible to be an expert in everything.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2021, 03:48:09 pm »
While I agree that there is much "audiophoolery" going on, I would not be so generically dismissive.

I am not an easy person to impress or convince. But I have had the privilege to audition top of the top audio equipment in setups that were fully planned up to the decoration of the specifically designated room.

It was generally an overwhelming experience to listen to music tracks I was already familiar with and which had been recorded to high standards (Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon or Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop). The sound quality was brilliant to my fairly trained ears.

My comments are:

1) There is a high standard of audio equipment, which is not met by any modern consumer product of the iPod, iPhone, Bose, Beats Pill, etc.) These consumer products may be clever for internet based streaming of highly compressed music and Bluetooth, etc., but their sound quality is poor. You don't need to have special hearing or audio training to immediatly understand the difference. A simple test hooking a good CD vs. an iPhone to a propper amplifier and speakers is more than enough.

2) You can get pertty good and amazing audio buy buying some vintage amplifier and speaker from the 70ies, 80ies and to some extend 90ies. With 200-300 Euro you can purchase a amazing second hand setup. But if you want to go the extra step, if you have an extra room and the money, hell yes, you can go much better. It will cost 4 ot 5 figures, though.

3) Once you spent 10.000 Euro or 100.000 Euro in a dream audio setup, you might as well decorate the room properly and why not buy some good quality AND GOOD LOOKING CABLES?

It's basically the same as buying designer Nike shoes for thousands of US$, when you can buy a similar model for 100 US$.

Or why buy a 1000 Euro premium smartphone if you can buy a Xiaomi smartphone pretty much as good for 200 Euro?

What sense does it make to buy a 5000 Euro valve amplifier and connect it to 8000 Euro speakers with a 20 Euro cable?

The logic is sometimes not the best way to reason...

Regards,
Vitor

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2021, 04:00:48 pm »

Hilarious.

And why do people post a comment two years later?

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2021, 07:10:13 pm »
While I agree that there is much "audiophoolery" going on, I would not be so generically dismissive.

I am not an easy person to impress or convince. But I have had the privilege to audition top of the top audio equipment in setups that were fully planned up to the decoration of the specifically designated room.

It was generally an overwhelming experience to listen to music tracks I was already familiar with and which had been recorded to high standards (Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon or Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop). The sound quality was brilliant to my fairly trained ears.

My comments are:

1) There is a high standard of audio equipment, which is not met by any modern consumer product of the iPod, iPhone, Bose, Beats Pill, etc.) These consumer products may be clever for internet based streaming of highly compressed music and Bluetooth, etc., but their sound quality is poor. You don't need to have special hearing or audio training to immediatly understand the difference. A simple test hooking a good CD vs. an iPhone to a propper amplifier and speakers is more than enough.

2) You can get pertty good and amazing audio buy buying some vintage amplifier and speaker from the 70ies, 80ies and to some extend 90ies. With 200-300 Euro you can purchase a amazing second hand setup. But if you want to go the extra step, if you have an extra room and the money, hell yes, you can go much better. It will cost 4 ot 5 figures, though.

3) Once you spent 10.000 Euro or 100.000 Euro in a dream audio setup, you might as well decorate the room properly and why not buy some good quality AND GOOD LOOKING CABLES?

It's basically the same as buying designer Nike shoes for thousands of US$, when you can buy a similar model for 100 US$.

Or why buy a 1000 Euro premium smartphone if you can buy a Xiaomi smartphone pretty much as good for 200 Euro?

What sense does it make to buy a 5000 Euro valve amplifier and connect it to 8000 Euro speakers with a 20 Euro cable?

The logic is sometimes not the best way to reason...

Regards,
Vitor

I agree with most of your points here, and the 3/ is what I also keep saying. This is just like any other luxury business.
If people were only looking for pure utility, luxury wouldn't sell a single product.

Now what many engineers hate with all this are the technical lies that are used to sell. As engineers, we want to tell the whole world when we see claims that are blatantly idiotic.

As to you 1/, I also agree. Debunking technical lies is good, but unfortunately all this audiophoolery debunking trend tends to make people believe any cheap crap is going to be as good as decent high-end audio device. This just isn't true, and expectations from many people have sunk rather low as we keep feeding them lossy compressed crap in cheap earphones and atrocious speakers. So there's bound to be a reasonable middle ground there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf