Author Topic: fake BMS in knockoff tool batteries  (Read 4386 times)

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
fake BMS in knockoff tool batteries
« on: December 30, 2023, 02:50:13 pm »

Perhaps the solution is to have the casing be transparent so that such dangerous cost cutting would be easier to spot?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, rernexy, Helio_Centra

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: fake BMS in knockoff tool batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 04:05:57 pm »
Perhaps the solution is to have the casing be transparent so that such dangerous cost cutting would be easier to spot?
In the EU it's illegal to sell dangerous parts with CE marking.
They just need to make battery packs as part of the mandatory third party certification instead of self declaration.

The following users thanked this post: rernexy

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 04:09:50 pm »
That's really bad and dangerous, but not surprising. I'd guess the 16850s are also cheap junk.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 05:41:59 pm »
The original Makita battery packs also don't have that much more supervision and no balancing. The ones I opened just checked one more voltage in the center (so groups of 2 and 3 cells in series. So they can tell if the cells go much out of balance and mark the pack as bad or tell the machine/ charger to stop, but that is about it.  Another important function they have is to have a temperature sensor and signal if they are too hot.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, rernexy

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 09:05:27 pm »
They just need to make battery packs as part of the mandatory third party certification instead of self declaration.

Problem with that is, unless someone complains, the chances of it being checked are negligible.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: rernexy

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 09:48:33 pm »

Problem with that is, unless someone complains, the chances of it being checked are negligible.
They would check the documentation on the yearly ISO9001 review.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 01:49:35 pm »

They would check the documentation on the yearly ISO9001 review.

I'm sceptical that third party vendors on the likes of ebay, Amazon, and AliX sell items that genuinely comply with any standards. The best you could hope for is to get bricks and mortar outfits like Screwfix, Aldi, (insert local discount/hardware store of choice here), to comply, which they probably already do anyway.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Helio_Centra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 05:41:54 pm »
The white wires are only a temperature sensor. Who knows if that works?

I would be interested in a breakdown of what the circuit board actually does if not actual BMS things.

Offline Spar59

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 05:09:54 pm »
Unfortunately dodgy manufacturers have no issues about putting fake approvals marks on their products, I bought an outdoor encapsulated power supply from Amazon that had cable core colours that do not conform to EEC standards despite its CE compliance mark, and also equipment with fake or non-existent fuses in their UK standard plug.

Offline robint

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 06:16:22 pm »
BigCliveDotCom does a tremendous job deconstructing all the rubbish from PRC and some of it si really dangerous.  Beware of mains garden lighting with metal casings, floodlight etc. He found them with no earth wire and sometimes a green earth wire from the cable not connected to anything. Go figure, just dont let the kids or pets near any of it.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing in the Lithium world

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 01:09:50 am »
The original Makita battery packs also don't have that much more supervision and no balancing. The ones I opened just checked one more voltage in the center (so groups of 2 and 3 cells in series. So they can tell if the cells go much out of balance and mark the pack as bad or tell the machine/ charger to stop, but that is about it.  Another important function they have is to have a temperature sensor and signal if they are too hot.

Yeah this is similar to an original older Makita BMS, you can see some photos here (they removed all of the components though): https://broncosis.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-intro-well-to-start-of-i-guess-i.html
You can find the board used in the video here: https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/product/bl1440-bl1430-bl1415-serial-pcb-board-for-14-4v-makita-pcb-board/ seems like a legit company. Though she said the cell reached 4.5V, so not sure... maybe it did cut out at that 4.5V point or the multimeter is not accurate enough.

I wouldn't buy those packs of course. Aliexpress has some decent BMS replacements, which should be much better than these "old style" ones (for cases where the BMS has been locked out but the batteries are still good):
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803132573208.html
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805027980101.html
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf