Author Topic: Get what you pay for! Cheap eBay Magnifying lamp  (Read 4038 times)

Offline jedimindtimeTopic starter

Get what you pay for! Cheap eBay Magnifying lamp
« on: July 30, 2018, 07:14:24 am »
So I just received a brand new 8x Magnifying lamp for my workbench, cost me $34 aud with free delivery off eBay, I thought; it's only a magnifying lamp, how crap could it be?  |O

Well, I got a bit worried when the first thing I saw was the rusty screw on the clamp but because it wasn't a big deal I didn't mind at that point...

Until I turned it on...

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Oh ffs!  :palm:

ok...so I took the diffuser off, the fluro is barely secure, then found a piece of insulation cardboard just sitting there, presumably for protection against the atrocious PCB and wiring underneath.

The "buzz" was due to 240v arcing within a solder-joint failure of the mains input to the PCB

The earth termination was dodgy as hell too, it was just "slipped" under the washer that's used to attach the head of the main unit to the arm of the lamp

There's a bunch of other little things I could go on about, but I'm sure you get the idea...

Apologies for the poor photos and video, but I think it's enough to convince anyone to stay away (or at least beware)

At least they slapped a shiny GOLDEN 'Q.C. Passed' sticker on, none of this plain white paper crap  :phew:

https://youtu.be/0HVfPqiH5oM

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Get what you pay for! Cheap eBay Magnifying lamp
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:28:51 am »
I wouldn't call a crimped ring terminal 'slipped under', though it could have done with a belleville washer and a nylock nut to reliably maintain contact, and some anti-rotation lugs on the housing to stop the terminal rotating with respect to the head so it doesn't fatigue the ground wire.

Presspahn as supplemental insulation isn't unusual, but its not suitable for use without a cover.  I'd also be concerned about the lack of a proper cord grip.

If it was an Australian seller, report it - its unsafe and probably cant be made compliant with local safety standards.   If you ordered it from an overseas seller, its your problem although you should be able to reject it as faulty as the input is arcing and presumably the lamp is flickering.   If you get stuck with it, its probably more trouble than its worth to fix it up to a reasonable standard, unless you can 3D print a cover plate with a cord grip + mounting posts for the PCB, retained by  screws into the two existing posts in the housing.

Offline jedimindtimeTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 10:52:49 am »
I wouldn't call a crimped ring terminal 'slipped under'
Yes, but the ring part of the solder lug/ring terminal is supposed to go through the bolt/screw, true? What I meant by "slipped under" is the solder lug is held there via the washer, not the actual bolt.
Maybe that's still acceptable somehow, I dunno, it shouldn't be IMO

Presspahn as supplemental insulation isn't unusual, but its not suitable for use without a cover.
Really? I would have thought it should be fastened somehow, at least a cable tie or some tape, just something, only cos it's AC mains wiring, there are no spacers on the pcb or even conformal.  :-//

If it was an Australian seller, report it
It was, and I shall.
That was the biggest shock, that it came from an Aus seller.   

Thanks for your input btw

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 11:11:36 pm »
I wonder if that's even a real Philips tube?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 07:43:50 am »
I wonder if that's even a real Philips tube?
It may very well be salvaged tubes. There's plenty of waste going that way.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 07:48:47 am »
Australian seller is probably a chinese student over here for a while that needed some extra cash.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 08:35:32 am »
With all this dangerous mains powered equipment floating around, I have entered the habit of testing any newly purchased mains powered equipment - regardless of the source - with my Peaktech 2695 Insulation Tester. Where life is at stake, there is no room for compromises.

When doing so, you are in for quite few surprises. Even some simple CE UL VDE marked mains cords failed the test. :palm:.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 11:59:53 am by Messtechniker »
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline medical-nerd

• Regular Contributor
  • What's that coming over the hill?
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 09:51:51 am »
Thanks for this - I was just about to order one.

Cheers
'better to burn out than fade away'

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 04:27:32 am »
I have an old magnifying lamp that I have been considering converting to LED as soon as there are higher CRI ones available.  Big Clive shows one such:

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 04:33:28 am »
Better have a really decent diffuser on that. Otherwise all you'll get is a ton of spots. Or does that come with it?
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 07:49:06 am »
I ordered this one just last week! I've had it a few days now and it seems ok, no buzzing or anything like that. I've been really happy with it but yours just goes to show you can never be sure right? I'll pull it apart a bit later on and post some pics or whatever if I find anything dodgy or untoward.
I think if you have any problems getting your money back or anything make sure you put that video of the lamp buzzing like crazy in your email to Ebay!
Good luck!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf