Author Topic: Here's a nice deal on a transistor  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Here's a nice deal on a transistor
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 01:14:55 am »
Well, the listing has been running for at least 3 years....    :D

The product photo is a real eye-catcher, that's for sure.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 06:51:46 pm »
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2SA1216-2SC2922-Original-SANKEN-Transistor-x-10-PCS/131204930572?hash=item1e8c6c5c0c:g:hrwAAOxy~dNQ-51f

:-DD

15 sold!?
New, never used!  (Ah, never used must include the case of being ABused.)  Not only is part of the case BLOWN off, but it seems to only have 2 leads left.

Jon

Jon

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 11:02:25 pm »
I would insist on getting a pack with identically damaged specimen.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 03:23:46 am »
Still, my favorite is an eBay listing for two USED oil-paper capacitors like were used in tube circuitry in the 1960's for $150 starting bid.  The big "selling point" was "Les Paul", so maybe they were from a guitar amp.  They had about 1/4" leads left on them, these were the black molded plastic "bumble bee" caps that were fairly notorious for going bad.  I can't imagine that somebody actually bought them.

I have this listing on my wall at work.

I do still see somebody selling a partial reel of 1206 resistors on eBay for $250+, wonder when they might get a clue as to the real value of such parts.

Jon

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 03:34:18 am »
This is a private listing and your identity will not be disclosed to anyone except the seller.

Don't worry - go ahead and buy it no one will find out.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 07:04:15 pm »
It's not dead, just resting.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 02:40:58 am »
It's not dead, just resting.

The resemblance is uncanny...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 03:29:27 am »
Still, my favorite is an eBay listing for two USED oil-paper capacitors like were used in tube circuitry in the 1960's for $150 starting bid.  The big "selling point" was "Les Paul", so maybe they were from a guitar amp.  They had about 1/4" leads left on them, these were the black molded plastic "bumble bee" caps that were fairly notorious for going bad.  I can't imagine that somebody actually bought them.

People do buy that stuff, some of the guitar folks think that these capacitors are the key to the vintage sound, they don't realize that the guitar never sounded like that when it was new, the capacitors are simply worn out. Whatever though, that's hardly the worst bit of audiophoolery I've seen.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 09:25:25 pm »

People do buy that stuff, some of the guitar folks think that these capacitors are the key to the vintage sound, they don't realize that the guitar never sounded like that when it was new, the capacitors are simply worn out. Whatever though, that's hardly the worst bit of audiophoolery I've seen.
But, $75 EACH??!!  What kind of NUT would pay $75 for ONE 40 year-old capacitor?  (Actual eBay auction was starting at $150 for (wait for it) YES - TWO whole capacitors!  Save on shipping!

Jon

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 11:05:02 pm »

But, $75 EACH??!!  What kind of NUT would pay $75 for ONE 40 year-old capacitor?  (Actual eBay auction was starting at $150 for (wait for it) YES - TWO whole capacitors!  Save on shipping!

Jon

The same kind of nut that would pay $100 for a $10 hospital grade receptacle with some fancy audio brand printed on it, or a $250 mains cord? Some people buy $10k speaker cables, the placebo effect is powerful.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 03:26:33 am »
So he/she/it has sold 15 of them at $65 each meaning he/she/it has made $1000 profit -- perhaps I should look into selling crap that no longer works, apparently there IS a market for it.

Brian

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 05:23:11 am »
So he/she/it has sold 15 of them at $65 each
Maybe.  That's just a statistic - and one that can be manipulated by having a friend do the buying.  No actual payment need be made, the seller can just mark the sale paid by bank deposit.  They will have to pay fees, though.

meaning he/she/it has made $1000 profit
Again, maybe.

perhaps I should look into selling crap that no longer works, apparently there IS a market for it.
Could you sleep at night?  I couldn't.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 09:19:34 pm »
perhaps I should look into selling crap that no longer works, apparently there IS a market for it.

...context required. Selling stuff that doesn't work because of minor to moderate damage to people who want repairs or parts is one thing. Selling stuff totally destroyed or by definition cannot be repaired, as in the case of exploded semiconductors, is insanity.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 11:43:35 pm »
Hate to be "that guy" but probably trying to indicate the part isn't one of the fake ones.  eg. http://sound.whsites.net/fake/counterfeit-p2.htm
I'll try to be more fun at real parties.  :)

Offline clucas

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 04:23:48 am »
So he/she/it has sold 15 of them at $65 each
Maybe.  That's just a statistic - and one that can be manipulated by having a friend do the buying.  No actual payment need be made, the seller can just mark the sale paid by bank deposit.  They will have to pay fees, though.

meaning he/she/it has made $1000 profit
Again, maybe.

Could you sleep at night?  I couldn't.

i hate to be a killjoy but maybe they just posted a pic of a damaged component as an example of a faulty one that needs replacing, you know to appeal to simple folk that will think 'hey that looks just like mine' Their high feedback speaks for itself. Is funny tho.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:26:27 am by clucas »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 08:00:22 am »
... but maybe they just posted a pic of a damaged component as an example of a faulty one that needs replacing, you know to appeal to simple folk that will think 'hey that looks just like mine' Their high feedback speaks for itself. Is funny tho.

This is a true story ...

One day I was in a Jaycar store and a guy comes in looking for a replacement component.  From his description it was likely he wanted a DIP IC - but which one?  This was a question that he just did not seem to understand.  The staffer then reached around and chose an IC at random from the wall of stock from behind the counter.  As soon as the guy saw it he was ecstatic and no amount of persuasion could get him to understand it was a random pick that was one of a myriad of choices ... and that the likelihood of it working was practically zero.

The staffer tried valiantly and I even chimed in briefly, but the guy was having none of it.  He was only going to be satisfied by being allowed to purchase it and be on his way, which is what the staffer did - very reluctantly.

I don't know if anything further came of this event.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf