Author Topic: I'm loosing respect for Elon Musk... promises $1 rides in LA transit tunnels.  (Read 15946 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
And they drive within 2D facing exactly the same problems that cars have.  :palm: You cannot bypass congestions unless build multiple layers. Think about multiplayer PCB.

So you believe individual transport shells of whatever sort more efficient than mass transit?

Think about the COST of multi layer tunneling like you just floated as a solution you just doubled, tripled , quadrupled.... your costs + the interconnects to your bypasses to your interconnects....

BTW Musk talked about 30 levels of tunnels early in the year  :palm:

https://youtu.be/-GktlB8SsAk
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:31:59 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
maybe its to help import more 2020 blue voters. from the border. .  :clap:
or a way to get to san francisco without been seen or stopped by Immigration , but wait would I know
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
maybe its to help import more 2020 blue voters. from the border. .  :clap:
or a way to get to san francisco without been seen or stopped by Immigration , but wait would I know

Or maybe it is to Muask the Overhyped Loop being on a timeline of never going to work either  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online wraper

• Supporter
BTW Musk talked about 30 levels of tunnels early in the year  :palm:
If you make 30 narrow tunnels which cost the same as one wide subway tunnel, why not.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
So then you will have wasted $300 million a mile based on 'Musk's' figures  :-DD

Please give at least a ball park idea of the 'true' cost of moving 1 million humans a day on a tunnel system across a city like LA using individual or even shared pods to half the number of pods? $1x10^10 or 12?

Online wraper

• Supporter
So then you will have wasted $300 million a mile based on 'Musk's' figures  :-DD

Please give at least a ball park idea of the 'true' cost of moving 1 million humans a day on a tunnel system across a city like LA using individual or even shared pods to half the number of pods? $1x10^10 or 12?
Nope, it will be 30 miles in different directions  :palm:. They are not supposed to be in parallel. And as you won't be running one train in 15 minutes (or few minutes in decent underground) but a car every few seconds, throughput of 1 narrow tunnel probably will be even better than one crappy LA subway line has. Then multiply by 30.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 11:46:08 am by wraper »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor

Nope, it will be 30 miles in different directions  :palm:. They are not supposed to be in parallel.

And then is sure as hell won't be 10 Million a mile. Please stop my brain hurts  :-DD

Online wraper

• Supporter
And then is sure as hell won't be 10 Million a mile. Please stop my brain hurts  :-D
It certainly does as you obviously cannot understand simple things. Please explain why it won't be 10 million?

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
If the ride was already considered bumpy at 50mph, with that bracket system, wouldn't 150mph destroy your car's suspension as it was not designed to take those lateral forces mounted on the wheels as illustrated?

Also, wouldn't this cause riders to puke with such bouncing in a long white tunnel all mono colored lighting?

Also, the your car is powering the drive, from what I can see, what if you have front wheel drive?

How will the exhaust fumes be handled?

What is someone's car engine breaks down?  What will a chain reaction pileup look like?

How can users along the length of the tunnel escape a car in flames ahead of them?

WHAT IF A STUPID DRUNK PERSON ENGAGES HIS ENGINE IN DRIVE WHILE ON ONE OF THOSE 150mps SKIRTS DERAILING HIMSELF INTO THE TUNNEL STRUCTURE?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 01:45:44 pm by BrianHG »

Online wraper

• Supporter
If the ride was already considered bumpy at 50mph, with that bracket system, wouldn't 150mph destroy your car's suspension as it was not designed to take those lateral forces mounted on the wheels as illustrated?
There won't be such bracket in real tunnel. And as Musk said it won't be bumpy in final product.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $

Also, wouldn't this cause riders to puke with such bouncing in a long white tunnel all mono colored lighting?

Also, the your car is powering the drive, from what I can see, what if you have front wheel drive?

What is someone's car engine breaks down?  What will a chain reaction pileup look like?

How can users along the length of the tunnel escape a car in flames ahead of them?

WHAT IS A STUPID DRUNK PERSON ENGAGES HIS ENGINE IN DRIVE WHILE ON ONE OF THOSE 150mps SKIRTS DERAILING HIMSELF INTO THE TUNNEL STRUCTURE?

this is what I mean by telegraph vs internet. You have timing problems that are severe and a relative lack of professionals to maintain everything.

I think you would need some kind of top level traffic control/AI control to limit the amount of traffic in the tunnels and stuff.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor

WHAT IF A STUPID DRUNK PERSON ENGAGES HIS ENGINE IN DRIVE WHILE ON ONE OF THOSE 150mps SKIRTS DERAILING HIMSELF INTO THE TUNNEL STRUCTURE?

The article said the bumpy ride is due to issues with paving the prototype tunnel, that is a solvable problem. The tunnels are for EVs so exhaust is a non issue. The breakdown and escape issues are real potential problems and there are many other problems. As with solar roadways there will be a few true believers who will never be convinced, but a majority of engineers will easily see why it is not scalable. Individual pods will never be nearly as efficient as existing mass transit which already works very well.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
And they drive within 2D facing exactly the same problems that cars have.  :palm: You cannot bypass congestions unless build multiple layers. Think about why we have multilayer PCBs.

Have you ever used mass transit? The light rail lines have their own private tracks and in places where they cross vehicle traffic they have right of way. We have dedicated bus and train tunnels and transit lanes. We already have multiple layers, subways by definition are underground the light rail they've been installing out here has sections below ground and sections that are elevated. Tunnels like this work well and have been around a long time, the sensible way to use tunnels is to run high capacity vehicles like trains or buses in them, this is efficient mass transit that works.

The tunnels proposed here solve nothing, the only "innovation" is using them to run private cars for the elite few who can afford autonomous EVs capable of negotiating tunnels at high speed, or those who can rent or lease such a thing but any way you slice it the cost per passenger is far higher than a traditional bus chassis or rail car. This doesn't scale, it's not viable, it will never happen, wait and see.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Start at 8:00 it's were the new content is

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Greeted like a Rockstar.

Here's a joke:
A new definition of the word Crockstar comes to mind.
Elon Musk the Crockstar.

Edit:
13:29 in the video featuring the tunnel and the led lighting.
Maybe they could put some more led lights up and have it change so it resembles that Stargate scene out of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Those drilling machines look horrible in appearance.

I don't like the look at the destruction they're causing to the underground on 3:10 to 3:15.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 12:56:58 am by MrMobodies »

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Start at 8:00 it's were the new content is

At 13:27, quote, tunnel is only for any Self Driving Electric vehicles...
Talk about making a never to be a fully realized product for all the masses, but be specialized for the few rich, getting approval for it, and, with that approval, even if a tunnel is never opened, just the project needs to show some headwind, and Tesla stock will see a boost...
I'm beginning to think Elon is all about more money at any BS cost and the day he can no longer re-package some older concepts as his new own ideas, his decline will begin.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Well he did succeed where very few others have, building a car company from the ground up, and selling rather revolutionary cars at that. Tesla EVs are mainstream now, I see them around on the roads every day. He's not a god though, a lot of his ideas will be flops. It's clear to me that Musk is a dreamer, the world needs guys like him because they're the ones who do occasionally hit a home run, but that doesn't mean every idea they come up with is worthwhile.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
There in lies part of the problem with Musk his Companies have had some great successes and ideas along the way. Because of the cult/god like portrayal of the individual over the companies creations to be anti or question a twitter fart you get labeled a hater or heretic to be burnt on the stake. It is the media circus that goes with this and the public build up of expectations that needs to be more critical before swallowing the line of bs in some cases and publishing as facts what will never be.

As to Tesla being a success give it another 3-5 years to get it's financials and product stable but it is still a safer bet financially than some of the old US names in cars. Musk as public mouthpiece vs some of the financial analysts earlier in the year was an interesting read.  ::)

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Because of the cult/god like portrayal of the individual over the companies creations to be anti or question a twitter fart you get labeled a hater or heretic to be burnt on the stake.

Some people go further to label Musk as "hero" or "hero of humanity" simply because he made electric cars! these cattle don't remember that he gained shit load of money doing so! so he is anything but a hero and he doesn't do a thing without the full intention of getting money out of it... so people cut the BS plz!!

Even most of his ideas are not really practical, like what do we gain from space rockets he is building? I mean, we the common masses? regardless of that, he would still be labelled a "genius" for making an electric car that literally everyone else have thought about in the past and some people have done it as a hobby project.

Now people say that he is the first one to make a product out of it... while this is not necessarily true, but even if it is... it doesn't mean he is a "genius"! the word "genius" is just too big and people should be careful of attaching it to any person... seems like the requirement for it now is just being a wealthy business man.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Now people say that he is the first one to make a product out of it... while this is not necessarily true, but even if it is...

it's not true. Many companies have made production electric cars. Even Elon credits General Motors for the inspiration:

And for those that hasn't watched the doco "Who killed the electric car", it's really good.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Even most of his ideas are not really practical, like what do we gain from space rockets he is building? I mean, we the common masses?

Communications satellites and weather satellites are used indirectly by almost everyone in every developed nation on earth, I'd say that launching satellites into orbit is a pretty hugely practical thing the common masses gain. The cheaper it is to launch satellites, the cheaper all this technology is to use.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Online wraper

• Supporter
Even most of his ideas are not really practical, like what do we gain from space rockets he is building? I mean, we the common masses?
In addition to said above, what about satellite maps? Don't say you never used one. Never used GPS? SpaceX launched GPS satellite a few days ago.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
In addition to said above, what about satellite maps? Don't say you never used one. Never used GPS? SpaceX launched GPS satellite a few days ago.

SpaceX launched a payload (they didn't design or build and is therefore irrelevant) to a point in space for $$ the profits of which benefit their shareholders.

The only benefit we the common masses derived from that is we used at best a cheaper courier service or one who could deliver on time to that location for a price that was affordable in a budget.

Online wraper

• Supporter

SpaceX launched a payload (they didn't design or build and is therefore irrelevant) to a point in space for $$ the profits of which benefit their shareholders.

The only benefit we the common masses derived from that is we used at best a cheaper courier service or one who could deliver on time to that location for a price that was affordable in a budget.
I guess you need to be slapped with $100+ delivery charge on every online order you make. To let you think about it's importance. Nonetheless soon they will launch their own communication satellites.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:46:14 pm by wraper »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor

I guess you need to be slapped with $100+ delivery charge on every online order you make. To let you think about it's importance. Nonetheless soon they will launch their own communication satellites.

What does that first sentence even mean or what point are you trying to make with it  :-//
As to your second line WOW SpaceX will be launching satellites to make $$ for shareholders and I am supposed to be impressed because?

SpaceX and your cult leader Musk is doing this for a $.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf