Author Topic: Indian phone scammers  (Read 13834 times)

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Indian phone scammers
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 07:02:01 am »
Just don't answer unknown numbers or hang  up on them.  If you try to play with them or piss them off you might find out that they will use your phone number as their spoofed number.   Some people wound up getting hundreds of calls from other irate victims of the scammer.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 07:52:24 am »
Muffled reply; "Hey (whatevername) start the trace, this is the ONE."

Bang, scammer's phone goes down.  :-DD

Offline Pluscrafter

• Regular Contributor
  • Somewere on earth
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 02:59:03 pm »
Six years ago when I was 12:
Scammer : "Your PC has 100 Errors."
I:              "My parents aren't at home."
Scammer: "What's your name?"
I:              "I don't no my name."
Scammer: laugh

Hang up.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 06:05:21 pm »
There is no safe response to scam calls.  Some of them are mapping when the phone is being picked up to identify unoccupied houses for burglary.  So do whatever entertains you. 

In the meantime we need to get our lawmakers to do things that raise the cost of these calls so that this massive spamming is not economical.  The costs are so low now that almost any nefarious activity is worth doing.  One idea would be a tax on carriers for each call.  The carriers can't duck out into another country as most of the spam callers do.  A small per call tax wouldn't be a significant harm to most normal people and businesses, and it would be easy to set up a deduction for businesses that proved they had a legitimate reason for a large call volume.

Other ideas welcome.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 06:41:15 pm »
Other ideas welcome.

Nuke 'em from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Matty272

Offline MrMobodiesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 08:27:29 pm »
There is no safe response to scam calls.  Some of them are mapping when the phone is being picked up to identify unoccupied houses for burglary.  So do whatever entertains you. 
Other ideas welcome.

Including the ones that pretend to be from your bank and ask you call them back.
What you don't know is when they keep the line open and put a fake dial tone in it.

Offline Pluscrafter

• Regular Contributor
  • Somewere on earth
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 09:13:02 pm »
Other ideas welcome.

Nuke 'em from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.  >:D
Cut their phone and Internetlines.

Gesendet von meinem G8341 mit Tapatalk

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 01:35:17 am »
So how do you cut their lines?  Obviously right now it makes economic sense for all the players to be involved in this.  The phone companies sell connections.   The scammers get enough hits to pay off.  The hit on carriers from illicit connections is not high enough to cause them to invest in countermeasures.

Somewhere the chain has to be broken or we will be inundated with this crap forever.  Anti-scam phones are just a temporary fix just like caller ID was only a temporary fix.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 01:43:01 am »
So how do you cut their lines?  Obviously right now it makes economic sense for all the players to be involved in this.  The phone companies sell connections.   The scammers get enough hits to pay off.  The hit on carriers from illicit connections is not high enough to cause them to invest in countermeasures.

Somewhere the chain has to be broken or we will be inundated with this crap forever.  Anti-scam phones are just a temporary fix just like caller ID was only a temporary fix.

I don't know if you have played/experienced Amazon Echo (Alexa), or the competing Google version.

But, if you have, one can imagine, in the (hopefully) near future. Being able to have phones, with built in functionality like that, which can initially answer unknown/unexpected phone callers (via their phone number), and check them out. Using the speaking AI.

Then only ring your phone, if the caller checks out.

tl;dr
If a friend/relative/work phones, it lets the phone call straight through.

But if it doesn't recognize the callers phone number, it asks them questions (AI), to check them out.

I.e. A call screening device, with voice recognition and AI.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:44:58 am by MK14 »

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2018, 01:56:37 am »

I don't know if you have played/experienced Amazon Echo (Alexa), or the competing Google version.

But, if you have, one can imagine, in the (hopefully) near future. Being able to have phones, with built in functionality like that, which can initially answer unknown/unexpected phone callers (via their phone number), and check them out. Using the speaking AI.

Then only ring your phone, if the caller checks out.

tl;dr
If a friend/relative/work phones, it lets the phone call straight through.

But if it doesn't recognize the callers phone number, it asks them questions (AI), to check them out.

I.e. A call screening device, with voice recognition and AI.

Call screening can be defeated by falsifying the Caller ID.  Already widely done.  The only added step needed is to identify each phone's white list.  With a cooperative network of thousands of random callers this can be built by brute force methods pretty easily.  I suspect this is also happening.  A limited form already is as the false Caller ID is often chosen from a list of local numbers.

It is sometimes hard to realize the total magnitude of the effort that goes into these scamming operations.  To think that the Amazon/Google AI will be up to the task seems overoptimistic.  It also seems the wrong way to attack the problem.  An ongoing technology war which means an ever increasing investment in the defensive end of this isn't a real win for us.

We need to look for analogies to the trap door functions used in cryptology.  Something which is really easy on our side, that make immense extra effort on the other side.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2018, 02:50:55 am »
I can't help but wonder if Lenny is a real elderly person, and that perhaps he doesn't know he's been immortalized in this way. If so, I hope his name isn't really Lenny. That would be really mean and evil.

That said, there need to be better solutions to stop scammers (which no country has a monopoly on) and robo callers especially.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:52:43 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 05:42:51 am »
We need to look for analogies to the trap door functions used in cryptology.  Something which is really easy on our side, that make immense extra effort on the other side.
Already solved in the form of the PoW function in cryptocurrency.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 08:42:49 am »
I can't help but wonder if Lenny is a real elderly person, and that perhaps he doesn't know he's been immortalized in this way. If so, I hope his name isn't really Lenny. That would be really mean and evil.

Ah no, I am pretty sure that Lenny's sentences were carefully scripted and specifically recorded for this purpose. The flow of the "conversation", and the carefully designed ambiguity of his statements (which makes them work for any caller's purpose, from fixing computers to pitching a political agenda), suggest that.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2018, 02:05:20 pm »
Call screening can be defeated by falsifying the Caller ID.  Already widely done.  The only added step needed is to identify each phone's white list.  With a cooperative network of thousands of random callers this can be built by brute force methods pretty easily.  I suspect this is also happening.  A limited form already is as the false Caller ID is often chosen from a list of local numbers.

It is sometimes hard to realize the total magnitude of the effort that goes into these scamming operations.  To think that the Amazon/Google AI will be up to the task seems overoptimistic.  It also seems the wrong way to attack the problem.  An ongoing technology war which means an ever increasing investment in the defensive end of this isn't a real win for us.

I guess it is similar to other on going battles.
Good vs evil.
Police vs Robbers
Anti-Virus software vs Malware creators
Bacteria vs Antibiotics/Antibacterials and other advances in medicine

In my case, I only currently, get such phone calls, very infrequently. But if that changes, it might press me to take action.
My phone(s), have options I can enable, which pre-screen phone calls (if the caller is not recognized as "friendly/known") , which I enable, if I have a spout/burst of SPAM phone callers.
Sometimes they start to phone every week, or every other day, and it begins to get very annoying.

I still wish that the Police, Governments (hence agencies which can fine the companies. But the fines are way, way too small at the moment. Give them teeth!  :) ), phone companies, Telephone manufacturers, and Electronic gadget device designers/manufacturers would get their acts together and solve/minimize this problem.

Although the "Electronic gadget devices" solution, would land, potentially in my court and/or other users of this forum. So, I have to take/accept some of the responsibility for this issue not being dealt with better.
I.e. In theory I/we could design something to help out, which screens (removes the SPAM) calls for everyone.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:12:14 pm by MK14 »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2018, 02:54:42 pm »
In theory I/we could design something to help out, which screens (removes the SPAM) calls for everyone.

How would you do that? Unless you work at one of the telcos, where you could potentially disable the transmission of fake caller IDs, I don't see how you would identify spam calls?

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2018, 03:10:13 pm »
In theory I/we could design something to help out, which screens (removes the SPAM) calls for everyone.

How would you do that? Unless you work at one of the telcos, where you could potentially disable the transmission of fake caller IDs, I don't see how you would identify spam calls?

I've already got one (it is not brilliant, but it partly does the job, when needed), and there are better (but more expensive ones), available.

Similar, to what I have (I may have an older or even different model, but what I have is very similar or the same). Is:  https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8203081