Author Topic: The discerning audiophile's choice of proper speaker wire. ($35,000 for 2.5m)  (Read 39130 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: The discerning audiophile's choice of proper speaker wire. ($35,000 for 2.5m)
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2018, 08:33:35 am »
If someone can afford $10k on a set of cables then you’re doing a public service taking their money away so it isn’t used on other crazy things like ammunition and guns  :-DD

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
Re: The discerning audiophile's choice of proper speaker wire. ($35,000 for 2.5m)
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2018, 09:23:35 am »
Oh, and if we are going to work out the most expensive wire, then may I present:
https://highend-electronics.com/products/audio-magic-ultimate-beeswax-shd-fuse?variant=2513608638493

:o

"extremely difficult to build considering Audio Magic is drilling into both sides of the fuse"

This sounds like they buy standard hollow 19 cent glass fuses, then drill holes and fill it with something, really bees wax? And then print a label on it. I don't care if audiophools buy a $1 million speaker cable, but manipulation a fuse in such a way might be a fire hazard and even illegal to sell. Someone should buy it, test it professionally, and then sue the company who sells it.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2018, 01:34:13 pm »
Very true. I might ask them about their CE approval  :-DD

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2018, 11:25:58 pm »
Here is a closeup:

It seems have got two powdery things and some kind of liquid in the middle.

I wonder if that stuff can become conductive and it prevents the fuse from blowing in normal circumstances.

If it does blow up the Beeswax will hit the "fans".

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2018, 12:27:39 pm »
Here is a closeup:

It seems have got two powdery things and some kind of liquid in the middle.

I wonder if that stuff can become conductive and it prevents the fuse from blowing in normal circumstances.

If it does blow up the Beeswax will hit the "fans".
That's insane, they've recycled standard fuses and filled them with their bullshit magic formula.

I wonder if the original manufacturer can be determined?

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2018, 01:47:24 pm »

From the closeup photo are the Verband Deutscher Electrotechniker (Germany - VDE) & Svenska Elektriska Materielkontrollanstalten (Sweden - SEMKO) approval marks, otherwise the numbers look to be IEC127.

Searching for more images just makes me think they probably buy a box of "whatever" from a wholesaler. Before modification they're almost certainly decent fuses that meet their specs.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2018, 02:17:36 pm »
I'm really curious to know how many of those $35K cables were sold ... If it's a one man operation, just 5 a year would be enough  ;D
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2018, 02:29:34 pm »
I suspect they are selling at least a few per year. You can find one of those ridiculous mains cable on eBay, if it is not a sock puppet account of the manufacturer. And the MasterBuild website lists many distributors, the Nordost website even more: Just for Germany they list one distributor, and 59 dealers. Looks like there are really some fools out there who buys this stuff.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2018, 03:45:36 pm »

From the closeup photo are the Verband Deutscher Electrotechniker (Germany - VDE) & Svenska Elektriska Materielkontrollanstalten (Sweden - SEMKO) approval marks, otherwise the numbers look to be IEC127.

Searching for more images just makes me think they probably buy a box of "whatever" from a wholesaler. Before modification they're almost certainly decent fuses that meet their specs.

I think these things need to be brought to the attention of whatever local body monitors electrical safety standards in your country.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2018, 06:15:18 am »
I suspect they are selling at least a few per year. You can find one of those ridiculous mains cable on eBay, if it is not a sock puppet account of the manufacturer. And the MasterBuild website lists many distributors, the Nordost website even more: Just for Germany they list one distributor, and 59 dealers. Looks like there are really some fools out there who buys this stuff.

Looking at the feedback it seems he buys from China and sells things as well as those cables.

It is a cable and it is going to be plugged in most to all of the time so why bother putting a lock on it and why would anybody want to steal that peace of crap anyway and if they did they'd just smash the box open.

Or is it so precious it is intended not to be used at all but to be kept in there like a piece of jewellery for sentimentalists except this one does not have got any gold in it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:21:50 am by MrMobodies »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2018, 08:03:21 am »
Is that a wooden ferrite core on that lead?  :-DD

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2018, 08:59:02 am »
Everybody knows that wooden ferrite cores on power cables give you much more airy and natural timbre midtones with crisp and warm lows, but without the obvious sibilant and harsh highs you get with actual ferrite.
Furthermore, it strikes a positive balance with the natural wood the speaker enclosures are made from, resulting in lush and harmonious listening experience. They actively help in reducing noise in the mains, caused by outside factors, by adding positive mass to the cables themselves and enhancing the overall audio system.
Wooden ferrite cores likely have the highest cost/benefit ratio you could possibly invest in, and are a must for every serious and discerning audiophool.

I have a few in my shop, if you're interested. They're on Christmas season discount and usually sell for only $750, but with a 20% off coupon you can get them for $600.

How many do you think I would sell if I posted this on an audiophool forum?

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Daixiwen, bd139, MrMobodies, Wan Huang Luo

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2018, 10:48:35 am »
Everybody knows that wooden ferrite cores on power cables give you much more airy and natural timbre midtones with crisp and warm lows, but without the obvious sibilant and harsh highs you get with actual ferrite.

Surely you mean 'natural timber'?

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2018, 11:01:01 am »
I was actually debating with myself which one to use, but opted for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbre
Can't be fooling around here, can I? This is serious stuff. Lot's of money involved.
Although it would be funny if the core screamed "TIMBER!!!" at random intervals.

Inclusion of "highest cost/benefit ratio" should be enough of a pun.

The following users thanked this post: CJay

Offline Wan Huang LuoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »

Natural timber timbre midtones.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2018, 06:31:56 pm »

Pine for Bjork, Oak for British music, Sequoia for American, Maple Canadian etc..

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2018, 09:29:47 pm »
I usually follow the musings of Paul McGowan at his company's (PS Audio) channel on youtube. He has some good takes, but I was put off by one of his videos where he talks about the green pen and the performance mains cables sold by his company.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2018, 10:17:21 pm »

Pine for Bjork, Oak for British music, Sequoia for American, Maple Canadian etc..

Let's not forget the Maple and Mahogany wooden ferrite core plug-ons when listening to guitar based AOR tunes  8)

Besides the obvious timbre/timber benefits, the wooden ferrite acts as an electrical isolation barrier

especially in harsh hi-fi placement situations like on a polished wood floor with steel frame underneath of unknown grade,
added with the conflicts of deploying dissimilar weld joint and fastener metals used by clueless builder/tradies who can't appreciate a proper listening environment for hip hop and Bach mashups   

------------------

BTW: I motion/vote that from this day forth ALL audiophool product peddlers chip in and contribute a regular HUGE Patreon donation to EEVblog Inc.  :clap:
for the massive amount of technical information and jargon presented across many posts here, unashamedly 'borrowing' and using in their ad spins.

i.e. it's not fair that DJ picks up the blog server tab every month  :'(  while they fill up carpet bags with easy cash.  >:D

Hey, we know you're here lurking and copy-pasting.
And we know you use plain figure 8 for speaker cabling, used 50 cent swap meet IEC kettle cords and $2 shop RCA cables in your personal hi-fi rigs.
Try and tell it different =  :bullshit:

Enough is enough > it's time to dig deep and share the reaped benefits from the wood ducks

What say all those present here?  :-//

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:13:02 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2018, 02:56:14 am »

I only buy audio components which are perfectly impedance matched over the entire range from 5 Hz to 100 KHz.

Thus I require that any commercial audio cables I purchase  include a test report using a Keysight E5061B-3L3 with the 1E5 High Stability Timebase option from 5 Hz to 100 KHz for the serial number of the cable as well as the NIST calibration certificate with data and uncertainties for the most recent calibration of the E5061B.

After all, a person cannot be too careful.  Your ears are irreplaceable.  Just think of the damage that poor quality audio components can cause.  I am shocked at the utter disregard of certain forum members to this vitally important issue.

Offline Canis Dirus Leidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2018, 08:10:33 am »
I'm really curious to know how many of those $35K cables were sold ...
Well, I sincerely hope that no one. Because the cable for a modest $ 7,000 was enough to cause this: https://www.amazon.com/review/R3I8VKTCITJCX6  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: GregDunn

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2018, 01:21:44 pm »
At least there is no "verified purchase" review. But I guess the persons who buy such a cable don't use Amazon, they are too busy swimming in their money, and their servants buy this for them from special audiophool shops :)

Offline Wan Huang LuoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2018, 02:16:38 pm »

I only buy audio components which are perfectly impedance matched over the entire range from 5 Hz to 100 KHz.

Thus I require that any commercial audio cables I purchase  include a test report using a Keysight E5061B-3L3 with the 1E5 High Stability Timebase option
That would require a cable manufacturer to spend as much as they charge for a speaker wire. Unacceptable capital investment.  ;D

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2018, 10:35:50 pm »
I like the part where they used Coat Hangers and the "Audiophiles" could not tell the difference;
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2018, 11:22:45 pm »
I like the part where they used Coat Hangers and the "Audiophiles" could not tell the difference;

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

As long as you prep the ends with sandpaper and some Deoxit (or metho or WD40 to go the full frugal route) coathangers can sound quite airy and detailed even with the .5 ohm resistance added  :clap:

Another plus is the convenience to easily disable one of the speakers temporarily
if you get locked out of your car  ;D

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2018, 04:34:01 pm »
coathangers can sound quite airy and detailed

I find that using them leads to too many hanging notes.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf