Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 779261 times)

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The snake oil thread...
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2012, 12:15:17 am »
I say they should bring back the likes of Hinch..... :)

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline voidptr

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2012, 08:56:47 am »

lol
free energy stuff  prepetual motion ! nice scam !

the kit is nice tho !
nice thick plastic, big aluminium flyweel .
you can probably use it easily to build some multipoles synchronous motors.
maybe they can send me one for my test  ;P

I kept poking around some more because I had some time to kill and found this...

There are really only two possibilities.  Number one is that they actually believe what they are saying which is the scariest option.  Number two is that they know they are flat out committing fraud.

Unbelievable.

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 05:23:01 pm »
this is doing rounds again through infomercial claiming to reduce lime scale in your water systems through magnetic induction
eecs guy

Offline jhalar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2012, 04:32:13 am »
I saw this on the australian ebay site, sold by a UK seller.

It's a device you add to your car that is supposed to increase the bhp of your engine.
I lauged when I saw it, first thing I thought of was "magic snake oil".

Two wires only needed to connect the IC. Hmmm, that takes care of the power supply, where are the other leads?

Enjoy.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TUNING-CHIP-Volvo-C70-S40-S60-S80-V40-V50-V70-T5-/260956222035?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc233f253

Electronics and Network Engineer. Working in both worlds.

Offline voidptr

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2012, 04:23:12 am »

It's a device you add to your car that is supposed to increase the bhp of your engine.

Two wires only needed to connect the IC. Hmmm, that takes care of the power supply, where are the other leads?

Enjoy.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TUNING-CHIP-Volvo-C70-S40-S60-S80-V40-V50-V70-T5-/260956222035?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc233f253

maybe resistor in dip package ?  pretty hight tech for that price :o)

Offline AntiProtonBoyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2012, 07:20:22 am »

Enjoy.

Terms and conditions info at the bottom (emphasis mine):

These 3 simple rules are designed to keep costs down and make ebay a fair and safer place to trade.

If you fall into any of these 3 categories then please do not purchase without permission.

1:Have 2 or more account breaches in the past 12 months
2:Have made 2 or more INR claims in the previous 20 purchases
3:Have felt the need to leave 2 or more negatives in the previous 20 purchases

We may cancel a sale if we see that you have broken terms and conditions without prejudice , so please adhere to these 3 rules.Thankyou

A little preemptive, aren't we?

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2012, 08:49:09 pm »
Chipping is not new, but you normally have to replace or reprogram a chip in the engine control, that looks like a con any old chip on a piece of vero. There are lot of the scale prevention devices on sale here in the UK some are nothing more than magnets tied onto the pipes with cable ties, they are also sold to go round the fuel lines in your car. Bio flo are the market leaders, if you can call it that, they sell magnets to cure every thing from colds to global warming. 

http://www.magnetsforall.com/site/1346576/page/45029?gclid=CLiy-Pi_568CFRQrfAodFBgVLA

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2012, 08:53:51 pm »

Enjoy.

maybe resistor in dip package ?  pretty hight tech for that price :o)

I'm willing to bet there's just a resistor tucked away in there.

Offline electrode

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »
My friend bought one of those a few years ago. It ended up being just a resistor. Needless to say, he decided not to put it in his car, heh.

Wheels magazine in Australia used to (at least when I last read it, 7+ years ago) advertise a speed chip, which was a completely different thing, costing about $2000.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2012, 10:17:59 pm »

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2012, 07:30:49 am »
So if we see rows of pylons missing insulators we will know where to look for them.

Offline gxti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2012, 03:12:25 pm »
No, used high-voltage insulators would hurt the sound tremendously because they've been harmonically distressed by the 60Hz magnetic field. Only new, cryogenically treated ceramics are suitable for this application.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2012, 06:13:10 pm »
These need to be sold with directional arrows.  Yes, when new it doesn't matter, but after they are run for a few hours, it is important not to have the cable cross the "wrong way."  Worse still, mixing them up so some are "correct" and some aren't.   Use a cryogenicly treated Sharpie to draw an arrow to avoid this problem.  (unless you want to spend 99.95 for my special "single crystal, oxygen free" ink dispensing pen. (That looks remarkably like a Sharpie with a label pasted over it.......)

Offline Parsley

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2012, 09:05:29 am »
For the german people reading this thread:

http://www.nucleostop.de/

It claims to be able to detect current which is generated from an atom power plant...

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2012, 09:26:33 am »

It claims to be able to detect current which is generated from an atom power plant...

And soon they will have a portable detector for GM foods.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline JoannaK

• Frequent Contributor
    • Diytao making blog
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2012, 08:47:21 am »

And soon they will have a portable detector for GM foods.

Regards

Hmm.. Now that you mentioned it..  ;D

Offline hitachi8

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »
haha, remembered me of those fuel saver thing that you plug into your cigar lighter in your car.
they are actually just two cap on the jack and a resistor-led.

**EDIT: IMAGE REMOVED BY ADMIN BECAUSE IT TRIGGERS MALWARE VIRUS WARNINGS**

sorry that the image is watermarked, i didn't mean to advertise.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:29:58 am by EEVblog »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2012, 05:46:47 pm »
few weeks ago at morning was watching the tv while made some sandwiches for work, there was a dude talking about his invention which saves fuel in the car by simply inserting it to the fuel tube the thing looks like an aluminium tube with a quick connect, fuel connector and about a size of a regular fuel filter. i cant find the pics from it cos i dont remember its name or the dude's name but claimed to save up to 10-20% fuel.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2012, 05:17:03 pm »
If you fitted all the gizmos that claim to save 20% fuel to your car you would be in the oil business, with petrol pouring out of the exhaust. The car manufacturers would also be fitting some of these devises by now  if the worked, crackpots have been selling this sort of thing almost from the time the first cars appeared on the roads.

Offline Satchmoeddie

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2012, 09:49:15 pm »
Isn't the ambient temperature of the universe somewhere around 3 degrees Kelvin? If our atmosphere was in outer space it would dissipate into the vacuum, and would be a gas. If it were absolute zero K it would not be a gas. I love the flawed elementary school physics these guys come up with. I will say they are no worse than oil, and public utility companies for touting bullshit, and are maybe not as bad when it comes to actually doing stupid things.  I did some minor consulting for power generating stations in the USA. several acres of land was cleared to put a solar generating station by Blythe so the power can be sent to Los Angeles. This is so F'ing moronic it hurts. Forgive my hippie attitude toward 1500 year old desert ironwood trees, but are residential rooftops and commercial parking lots so scenic, and picturesque that we do not want to cover those with photo-voltaic panels? You also have less loss of energy by not running through 350 extra miles of transmission lines. The utility companies will keep building power plants so they can keep selling the electricity. Heaven forbid anyone should ever get off the grid, let alone let them become a producing part of it. Remember the old Laws of Conservation of Energy and Conservation of Matter. I guess "time equals money" Benjamin Franklin, and "there is a sucker born every minute", P.T. Barnum should go with them, when these free energy weirdos start hitting youtube. At least the free energy freaks pay for their own experimentation and whack projects. Arizona Public Service sends me a monthly bill to help fund their idiocy.  No one can film their failed, and abandoned  "green energy" projects without permission, or I have some neat posts on YT.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2012, 03:53:14 pm »
I got sent this today, Cure all disease with an electric pulse?, if the device even gives an output?. I would love to see some proper research data on this but I expect that there is not any done.

http://www.losethebackpain.com/reports/ElectroCleanseReport.pdf

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2012, 04:04:57 pm »
I got sent this today, Cure all disease with an electric pulse?, if the device even gives an output?. I would love to see some proper research data on this but I expect that there is not any done.

http://www.losethebackpain.com/reports/ElectroCleanseReport.pdf
looks like a simple toy

Offline AntiProtonBoyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2012, 04:55:23 pm »
From the very first title page:
The Unsuspected Real Cause of Chronic Pain
and How You Can Get the
FDA Unapproved 7-minute Pain Cure
That should ring alarm bells, without even looking at the rest of the contents! hahah.

Offline WorldPowerLabs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2012, 05:07:22 pm »
From the very first title page:
The Unsuspected Real Cause of Chronic Pain
and How You Can Get the
FDA Unapproved 7-minute Pain Cure
That should ring alarm bells, without even looking at the rest of the contents! hahah.

I do believe that there is merit to *some* types of unconventional electrotherapy for certain medical conditions.  I do think that Rife's research is promising, and it has been clinically proven that a minute DC current will stimulate bone growth in humans (I have a background in medical device design).

HOWEVER... "FDA Unapproved ... cure"?  What moron wrote that line?  Some folks are a little more careful and sell these things as "plant growth stimulators."  No FDA approval needed for plants!  (Not that I'm endorsing these particular products as being legit).

alm

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2012, 06:46:47 pm »
I do believe that there is merit to *some* types of unconventional electrotherapy for certain medical conditions.  I do think that Rife's research is promising, and it has been clinically proven that a minute DC current will stimulate bone growth in humans (I have a background in medical device design).
I'm not going to exclude the possibility that electric current might have some positive effect, but to claim that it has been clinically proven is not very scientific. Some studies have shown a benefit, others have shown no significant benefit. To conclude from weak and conflicting evidence that 'it's been clinically proven that it will help' is not very accurate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf