Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 293456 times)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1075 on: October 08, 2018, 12:07:04 pm »
Cerebus doesn't know whether to join in with the bad jokes or whether to get the custard pie cannon.
There's zero chance of a Dwagon flying over London without having either a F35 or Typhoon zapping it's arse

That's a classic example of what the [Obscure joke:] tag was invented for. Everybody but thee, me, and bd139 are now scratching their heads. Anyway, not much chance of an F35 chasing anything, they'd have to get the keys from America, the engine back from Turkey...

It all depends upon how Rapide the Dragon is!

You want obscure, I'll give you obscure! ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1076 on: October 08, 2018, 12:31:18 pm »
I don't think that a 1930's small airliner is any match for a fire breathing Dwagon no matter how Rapide it is. Obscure enough?  :clap:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline ArthurDent

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1077 on: October 14, 2018, 03:01:09 pm »
"It all depends upon how Rapide the Dragon is!"

That one flew right over my head. ???

Offline MrMobodies

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1078 on: October 29, 2018, 08:16:51 pm »
I got emails some week ago from that Acronis about machine learning and Blockchain "technology" trying to entice me into purchasing online storage from them.

I think their imaging software is snake oil as it won't extract directly as promised on email that it would do if I paid to unlock he features for it which I did and it needs all sorts of messing about, building a LIVECD with sata drivers for every host, copy image to USB hard drive etc, and others can do it with no problem.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #1079 on: October 29, 2018, 10:34:01 pm »
I got emails some week ago from that Acronis about machine learning and Blockchain "technology" trying to entice me into purchasing online storage from them.

I think their imaging software is snake oil as it won't extract directly as promised on email that it would do if I paid to unlock he features for it which I did and it needs all sorts of messing about, building a LIVECD with sata drivers for every host, copy image to USB hard drive etc, and others can do it with no problem.

Odd because the one piece of modern commercial imaging software I've found worked *really* well was Acronis, maybe it's gone down the tubes...

Mind you, I tend to try and avoid software houses that use blockchain as marketing wank
M0UAW

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1080 on: October 29, 2018, 11:28:06 pm »
block chain is the turd polish of the late half of this decade.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1081 on: October 30, 2018, 07:57:45 am »
Block chain is the new fuzzy logic.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1082 on: October 30, 2018, 07:16:36 pm »
Block chain is the new fuzzy logic.

Aww, can't we make it the new IoT so that turd finally dies instead?

McBryce.

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
« Reply #1083 on: November 09, 2018, 09:07:20 am »
My new Kickstarter idea is for an IoT-connected self-filling water bottle, that uses biomimicry to sequester water pustules from super-saturated desert air with alternating nanotechnological hydrophilic and hydrophobic graphene layers on a pure copper substrate. Blockchain technology is used to assign H2O offset credits per use. Supporters will receive a personalized e-mail saying thanks for the money. Am I on the right track?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:11:39 am by Wan Huang Luo »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1084 on: November 09, 2018, 10:54:58 am »
My new Kickstarter idea is for an IoT-connected self-filling water bottle, that uses biomimicry to sequester water pustules from super-saturated desert air with alternating nanotechnological hydrophilic and hydrophobic graphene layers on a pure copper substrate. Blockchain technology is used to assign H2O offset credits per use. Supporters will receive a personalized e-mail saying thanks for the money. Am I on the right track?

:-+

I'm not seeing any mention of AI though.

Fantastic: https://biomimicry.org/

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1085 on: November 09, 2018, 02:07:41 pm »
Quote from: SiliconWizard link=topic=6952.msg1951615#msg1951615
Or synergy.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #1086 on: November 09, 2018, 08:06:11 pm »

:-+

Fantastic: https://biomimicry.org/

It's stealth AI, neither the campaign owners or the backers have overt real intelligence.  :-DD :-DD
M0UAW

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1087 on: November 09, 2018, 08:27:34 pm »

I'm in! But only if it gives 800% more water when I use Batteriser sleeves.

McBryce.

Online janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1088 on: November 11, 2018, 06:25:24 am »
Or synergy.

Nah, synergy is yesterday, you have to use blockchain today or you are obviously so out ...

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1089 on: November 11, 2018, 08:33:26 am »
Or synergy.
Nah, synergy is yesterday

Synergy was, like, the 1990s.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1090 on: November 14, 2018, 11:43:44 am »
To me, he would have better lab cred if he was employing a Simpson 260 meter.
😀

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1091 on: November 14, 2018, 08:59:15 pm »

Can confirm. I worked for an Internet startup in 1998 who's main product was called NetSynergy.  They don't exist any more and neither does their excessive pool of buzzwords. The product was a bloody excellent idea but the business side of it was hopeless. Unlike most of the things here where the business side is excellent but the product is hopeless.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1092 on: November 14, 2018, 09:31:45 pm »

Can confirm. I worked for an Internet startup in 1998 who's main product was called NetSynergy.  They don't exist any more and neither does their excessive pool of buzzwords. The product was a bloody excellent idea but the business side of it was hopeless. Unlike most of the things here where the business side is excellent but the product is hopeless.
I just checked the registration date of synergy.com - 1992 by Synergy Software. In 1998, you guys were way behind the curve (another 1990s expression).

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1093 on: November 14, 2018, 10:59:13 pm »

What was their product, was it software to control 2 or more PC's from a single screen, keyboard and mouse at all?
Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1094 on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:36 pm »
I just checked the registration date of synergy.com - 1992 by Synergy Software. In 1998, you guys were way behind the curve (another 1990s expression).

Hahaha.

What was their product, was it software to control 2 or more PC's from a single screen, keyboard and mouse at all?

No it was a CRM type thing. Think of Salesforce but in Perl CGI and with a UI that looked like a dog with a tapeworm had done some laps on it with its butt.

Not joking but it could have been really successful. I mean up there in billions of dollars territory. But the culture was so broken. Director was "my way or the highway" which would have been fine if he wasn't a crack smoking (literally) idiot.

Offline MrMobodies

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1095 on: November 15, 2018, 01:02:26 am »
I actually used Synergy in the past (the one on Sourceforge) for quite a few things.

One purpose was to share a big wall mounted screen in an office where there would be an live automated slideshow of sales, missed calls and messages but they can press a hotkey to move the slides or they can use their mouse and keyboard for anything else.

I couldn't understand at first how to get it working as I saw it in reverse but now I just alter the text file and that was much easier.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf