Author Topic: What's that smell ... LANGuard  (Read 11173 times)

Offline TomS_Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What's that smell ... LANGuard
« on: June 24, 2018, 09:42:29 pm »
Just gonna leave this here.

They must have hired the finest audiophool marketing wanks to come up with this...

https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/what-is-rog-languard/#

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: What's that smell ... LANGuard
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 09:53:38 pm »
No idea about their no loss touting, but at least it's surge protected. :-+
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 10:38:30 pm »
Their eye diagram scope shots have been doctored.  Take a look at theirs VS the original.  How is it possible that the rear scope grid on their is so faint VS the original being around 4x darker.  They are hiding the faint specks and noise on their eye diagram scope shot.  In fact, lighten up the competitors scope shot and it's eye diagram, yet having that notch, has far less time blurriness to it, like it's better focused.  Their would look crappy and fuzzy overall compared to the sharp thin line of the eye diagram of their competitors if they didn't do the doctoring.

ALSO, WTF?, their acceptable eye reject regions, triangles/diamonds, are set to a smaller area compared to their competitors scope shot.  Maybe that's why their competitors are receiving dropped error packets while their isn't.

Who in the hell did this test?  Weren't there any type of consistency controls?

Why is it so many manipulate fine shit like this??

Even duralcell quantum VS duracell original regular coppertop battery spec sheets.  The battery impedance graph is using a different scale compare to the data sheets for every other duracell battery type.  Under close inspection and scrutiny, the double priced duracell quantums are identical to the half priced regular duracell coppertop batteries.  The curve on the mah scale is also ever so slightly modified, clearly a hand drawn too smooth line paint edit ontop of their old spec adding about 1% more life.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:50:30 pm by BrianHG »

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 01:55:15 am »

Until you plug it into a PoE switch and toast the NIC. I made the mistake of selecting some X370-Prime boards for my stuff. They were great until I plugged one into a TP-Link PoE switch. The switch shut down. I tried this a couple of times and each time I plugged the board in the switch died. So cleverly I replaced that switch with an old Linksys/Cisco SRW-2008P that i had lying around. The switch stayed up but there was a cute little "phut" and tiny puff of smoke from the motherboard.

1 RMA later and a cheap GigE switch in-between the motherboard and the PoE edge and we're back up and running.

More non-compliant shit ricer crap.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 02:21:19 am »

Until you plug it into a PoE switch and toast the NIC. I made the mistake of selecting some X370-Prime boards for my stuff. They were great until I plugged one into a TP-Link PoE switch. The switch shut down. I tried this a couple of times and each time I plugged the board in the switch died. So cleverly I replaced that switch with an old Linksys/Cisco SRW-2008P that i had lying around. The switch stayed up but there was a cute little "phut" and tiny puff of smoke from the motherboard.

1 RMA later and a cheap GigE switch in-between the motherboard and the PoE edge and we're back up and running.

More non-compliant shit ricer crap.

It shouldn't. They say theirs has protection diodes and stuff, which (although probably not) if designed properly would clamp anything over standard ethernet data voltage.

EDIT: Wait a minute...PoE should be using the spare non-data pairs in the line which should be unconnected in standard devices...or at least that's what we learned in school.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:23:25 am by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 02:55:24 am »
EDIT: Wait a minute...PoE should be using the spare non-data pairs in the line which should be unconnected in standard devices...or at least that's what we learned in school.

There are no spare pairs in gigabit operation. School was a while ago?

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 03:05:45 am »

2014 (and earlier). We never went into detail with gig-ethernet stuff though. Didn't know gig stuff had PoE.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 07:04:34 am »

Yep. Also, which is why there are no "gigabit cross-over" cables, they don't exist. Crossing over two of the pairs like you would on a 10/100 connection for devices with no auto MDI-X doesn't work on gigabit devices.

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:53:45 am »
A bit off topic, but I had many issues with Asus ROG GameFirst SW mentioned in the link, that I had to shut it down. It does not play nice with Firefox and some other apps and just erratically halts page loading.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 11:03:19 am »
ALSO, WTF?, their acceptable eye reject regions, triangles/diamonds, are set to a smaller area compared to their competitors scope shot.
Nope, they have exactly the same size.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 11:09:23 am »
Yep. Also, which is why there are no "gigabit cross-over" cables, they don't exist. Crossing over two of the pairs like you would on a 10/100 connection for devices with no auto MDI-X doesn't work on gigabit devices.

I'm seriously considering selling Gbit crossover cables as a business idea. £15 each. Take patch, stick label on saying "crossover", sell for 10x markup  :-DD

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 12:54:22 pm »
" Well it turns out there's plenty of antiquated tech inside, like old, circular filters "

Umm, toroidal transformers?

Nice to see they've such a firm grasp of the details...

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 12:57:36 pm »
" Well it turns out there's plenty of antiquated tech inside, like old, circular filters "

Umm, toroidal transformers?

Nice to see they've such a firm grasp of the details...

Which they now have in nice flat surface mount types! ... which are just the same thing with epoxy.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 02:22:11 pm »

Which they now have in nice flat surface mount types! ... which are just the same thing with epoxy.

Well, they do say "at least it will satisfy your OCD"  :-DD :-DD

Which is probably ALL it will do.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 03:21:14 pm »
ALSO, WTF?, their acceptable eye reject regions, triangles/diamonds, are set to a smaller area compared to their competitors scope shot.
Nope, they have exactly the same size.
Oh really, here is one eye shot negative blended on top of the other:
Eye1.jpg - timing x axis(time) and amplitude of source signal corrected, best possible centering of eyes and source signal.
Eye2.jpg - same as eye1, but centered on source signal.
Eye3.jpg - no adjustment of both signals, best centering of first eye.

I can match the X&Y scale of the source signal almost exactly, but then, the diamond windows wont be the same size.
If I match the diamond window sizes, then the waveform timing and amplitude are way off.  The photos I made I tried to align the best of both situations.
I don't think they even used the same hardware, or bit rate since everything is way off kilter.  Even the scope center line is in the wrong place from 1 shot to the next.  Without controlled matched measurements and hardware setup, I cannot confirm anything else they say is true, or different instrument settings.  If they did this one test correctly and posted those results, I would not be able to say anything at all here...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:26:50 pm by BrianHG »

Offline TomS_Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 08:57:11 am »
This may be the cynic in me, but it seems like you can sell anything to gamers who are looking for that next little bragging right.

Just dont mention that theres a hell of a lot of networks out there that dont use this so called "technology" but still work juuuust fine, like the entire internet...  :-DD

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 10:16:41 am »
Just dont mention that theres a hell of a lot of networks out there that dont use this so called "technology" but still work juuuust fine, like the entire internet...  :-DD

Actually, they work better as they don't go up in smoke when you plug them into a PoE switch. Amusing using "smell" in the thread title, as that is exactly what it does when it lets out the magic smoke.

The following users thanked this post: TomS_

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 04:35:35 pm »

Actually, they work better as they don't go up in smoke when you plug them into a PoE switch. Amusing using "smell" in the thread title, as that is exactly what it does when it lets out the magic smoke.
Except nothing will go up in smoke, and if it does, not because of ESD protection :palm:. POE supply must detect if there is POE compatible device on the other end and only then apply power. If it does not follow this, then it all comes down to how transformer center taps are connected to GND. Through one common capacitor for all transformers (termination resistors go poof) or individual capacitor for each (they do not).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:22:24 pm by wraper »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 06:30:21 pm »
Doctored? I might have misunderstood, but that’s neither an eye diagram of 1000base-T nor even 100base-TX. 10base-T maybe, but there’s not many folks using that these days, and certainly not the target market.

Offline bCreative

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 04:06:50 pm »
Am I the only one bothered by the poor grammar on that page?

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 04:13:01 am »

I'm seriously considering selling Gbit crossover cables as a business idea. £15 each. Take patch, stick label on saying "crossover", sell for 10x markup  :-DD

Not a bad idea.

They would work with 99% of devices*

* Provided they have auto crossover. ;-)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 09:36:49 am »

Not a bad idea.

They would work with 99% of devices*

* Provided they have auto crossover. ;-)
[/quote]

Yeah, but it only takes one device to have auto crossover to make the cable work :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 10:37:03 am »
I've never actually seen one without, yet. Which is interesting as it's actually an optional part of the spec. I think no one is going to buy your chipset combo if it doesn't do that so no one bothered to not implement it.

I'd expect at least Realtek to have cheaped out with their shitty NICs but no, works too.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 07:34:58 am »
I've never actually seen one without, yet. Which is interesting as it's actually an optional part of the spec. I think no one is going to buy your chipset combo if it doesn't do that so no one bothered to not implement it.

I'd expect at least Realtek to have cheaped out with their shitty NICs but no, works too.

I have only ever seen one device in the last 20 years or so without auto MDI-X, I'm trying to think of what it was now...

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 09:00:02 am »
iirc there where chips out there in the mid to late 2000's that didn't have MDI-X some of infrastructure grade cisco stuff never had it or it was just on the uplink ports only

ah the days of 10 base 2 (thin net) and 10 base 5 (thicker net) where 1 nic or machine fails the whole network falls flat on its face, or the game of lets find the doggy terminator

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf