Author Topic: "Wheel of death" travel adapter  (Read 4533 times)

Offline bd139Topic starter

• Super Contributor
"Wheel of death" travel adapter
« on: January 13, 2019, 05:33:16 pm »
This looks "interesting". Imagine what happens if it goes wrong  :palm:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/travel-adapters/2604682/

I'm surprised something like that got cert!

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: "Wheel of death" travel adapter
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 05:38:49 pm »
Nothing happens. It's safer than most of the universal travel adapters. All of the plugs are always insulated from each other.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:45:41 pm »
By not looking at it with detail... One would assume, there's no switch, and all plus are connected to each other.

Looking at it carefully, you'll see that the socket is acting like a rotary switch.

The worst that could happen, hitting it and impailing yourself

Offline bd139Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 05:48:43 pm »
I am aware you're not going to kill yourself (immediately) with it.

I am aware however what happens if it gets damp inside or the contacts are made of chinesium and end up spreading themselves all around the rotor. It's rated for 16A apparently as well.

And yes it's safer than most. I've got a shucko to UK extension lead like this for Euro travel:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:50:16 pm by bd139 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 05:53:29 pm »
And yes it's safer than most. I've got a shucko to UK extension lead like this for Euro travel:

Then take another 4 with you.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 05:58:58 pm »
BTW of course I don't know about it's internal construction. But as I see it, there easily could be more than 15 mm of creepage distance between the plugs at any time.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 06:48:00 pm »
Without taking one apart I can't say how safe it is, but it certainly doesn't look very ergonomic. Is it common to visit multiple different countries with different power sockets on a single trip? On the rare occasions I've ventured outside of NEMA-15 land I took along an adapter suitable for my specific destination.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 08:10:01 pm »
Edit: Sorry a mistake about below. I did not look at the top piece properly where the plugs go in and assumed it accepted an earth connection from the plug with the plastic pins earth and and one earth pin being metal to the socket.

Take a look at the earth pins.

The UK earth pin is plastic and the Australian one is metal.
Not very consistent.

No, this adapter is non-grounded which means it can be used with both two and three prong type sockets :bullshit: but do not secure devices from electrical surges.

What an excuse.

Very bad coming from RS Components.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:20:39 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 08:23:30 pm »

Not very consistent.

No, this adapter is non-grounded which means it can be used with both two and three prong type sockets :bullshit: but do not secure devices from electrical surges.

What an excuse.

I don't know where your problem is. Yes, this adapter is non-grounded, as is clearly stated. Who cares what shape and metal the "earth" pins are, since they are not connected to the (single, European style) outlet anyway?

And while the adapter can be inserted into three-prong sockets (nothing wrong with that), you cannot insert a Schuko plug into its outlet. Only narrow "Euro" plugs without a protective earth terminal will fit: Note the plastic tabs in the outlet, which prevent insertion of the larger, round plugs.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 08:23:51 pm »

Not very consistent.
It's how non earthed UK plugs are, with a plastic earth pin. If you make Australian plug with a thin plastic pin, it will break. Although in Australian plug there probably shouldn't be earth pin at all.

What an excuse.

Earth pin has nothing to do with protection from surges. Also socket prevents from plugging in any earthed plugs into it, so this is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:33:15 pm by wraper »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:37:17 pm »

Not very consistent.

What an excuse.

I don't know where your problem is. Yes, this adapter is non-grounded, as is clearly stated. Who cares what shape and metal the "earth" pins are, since they are not connected to the (single, European style) outlet anyway?

And while the adapter can be inserted into three-prong sockets (nothing wrong with that), you cannot insert a Schuko plug into its outlet. Only narrow "Euro" plugs without a protective earth terminal will fit: Note the plastic tabs in the outlet, which prevent insertion of the larger, round plugs.

it can be used with both two and three prong type sockets

It does not accept an earth connection (on the top bit) where the plug goes in, so earth pin is not needed.

Oops, silly me I didn't look at the picture well enough.

Sorry my mistake.

I have seen some that do accept earth but no earth pin.

Earth pin has nothing to do with protection from surges. Also socket prevents from plugging in any earthed plugs into it, so this is irrelevant.

I wasn't referring to surges.
Sorry, I thought it was in here because it was one of those dodgy ones that accept earth with a plastic pin and I didn't look properly silly me my fault.
Don't know what's wrong with me today.

I see the dial around it spins around to move the the pins in and out.

How is that dodgy though?

Is it because accidentally moving the dial when connected up could also move the pins far enough to still reach and be connected to the terminals and expose the pins?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:16:13 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 11:31:50 pm »
The UK earth pin is much thicker, if the Australian one were made of plastic it would snap off. The UK earth pin is required mechanically to open the shutters as well as provide polarization, I don't know why they bothered with the Australian one.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 12:59:57 am »
The UK earth pin is much thicker, if the Australian one were made of plastic it would snap off. The UK earth pin is required mechanically to open the shutters as well as provide polarization, I don't know why they bothered with the Australian one.

Easy!
Some Oz outlets also have shutters.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 01:03:14 am »

Easy!
So if say you have iphone charger you are screwed?

Offline Treehouseman

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 01:25:06 am »
This looks like something that needs to be sent to BigClive to get a review/teardown.

The following users thanked this post: TomS_

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 03:23:00 am »

Easy!
So if say you have iphone charger you are screwed?

I did say "some"!

Still not a major problem ----just drop into the local Coles, Woolworths, Aldi, or Kmart & pick up an "El Cheapo" power board without shutters.

Admittedly, that wouldn't work if you arrive in Oz at 2 or 3am!--- but, in that case your adaptor wouldn't have shutters, anyway.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 08:01:00 pm »
This looks like something that needs to be sent to BigClive to get a review/teardown.

Nah, I don't think so. Boring.

Really, folks. Kopp is a German brand manufacturer -- a budget one, but solid enough. The adapter has a "GS" logo, so TUV has actually tested it, it's not just a manufacturer's CE self-declaration. (I trust Kopp enough to assume that faking the logo is beneath them.)

Let's all keep calm, continue to breathe normally, and maybe change the wildly click-baiting thread title.  :phew:

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 01:30:47 pm »
What tripped me up was that first picture:

I assumed it was one of those ones that took earth from the appliance but had no earth connection to the outlet.

No, this adapter is non-grounded which means it can be used with both two and three prong type sockets
Assumption: With not seeing the last picture I also misread that and thought they mean't it was okay to plug earth stuff in it despite it not being earth.

On the last picture:

It looks a bit bulky though.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 05:37:43 pm »
It reminds me of this...

https://www.artlebedev.com/vilkus/

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 06:41:27 pm »
That sounds like a joke:

Test Your Power and Rejuvenate Your Psyche

When Russian design Studio Art Lebedev contacted ThinkGeek to exclusively carry an amazing new product we were pretty stoked. After all Art Lebedev is the developer of the groundbreaking Optimus Maximus keyboard with OLED screens on every key. We expected something high-tech and fantastic... but we were completely unprepared for the simple genius of the Vilcus Plug Dactyloadapter. It was clear we had a winner on our hands.

The Vilcus Plug Dactyloadapter allows anyone to quickly and easily test the working condition of any wall socket. Simply insert the Vilcus into the socket in question... insert two fingers and the use becomes apparent instantly. But this is only scratching the surface of the device's utility. Once we learned that the Vilcus was based on an antique persuasion device used by Soviet-era KGB we put the device to the test with a ThinkGeek contracted market research group and discovered something surprising. After the pain subsided, those that survived reported a feeling of euphoria and well being. Upon further investigation on Wikipedia we realized that the rejuvenating effects of high-voltage electricity are well documented. It was even successfully used to treat insanity during the early 1800's. Obviously Art Lebedev had done it again. We were thoroughly impressed.

So bring the Vilcus Plug Dactyloadapter with you anywhere you need a quick pick-me-up. The included adapter allows for easy use on US style wall sockets or use the standard plug when traveling to most European countries. Click here to read more about the exciting development and methodology of the Vilcus Plug Dactyloadapter on the Art Lebedev website.

WARNING!
While we at ThinkGeek are completely convinced of the health benefits of finger contact with high-voltage electricity... not all of our living test subjects for the Vilcus felt the same way. Playing with electrical sockets is damn dangerous and our attorneys don't recommend it. In any case ThinkGeek, Inc. and all of it's myriad subsidiaries are in no way responsible for your stupidity if you stick your fingers in a high-voltage wall socket and harm yourself in any way.

Product Features

Easily test any AC Power Outlet
Fits any finger size
Works with European style and USA type outlets
Become more alert through free electroshock therapy
Exclusive Russian Design

I know they used electroshock therapy in insane asylums and I read that it also affects or erases memory as well.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 07:21:31 pm »
Everyone knows you should use one finger on every hand. None of your worries will bother you for the rest of your life.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 07:23:30 pm »

That would run a very close second to Lego if you stood on it, evil looking thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf